Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 20:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display

Heya!

This thread starts off where my previous one ended. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...h-dilemma.html)

To give a brief intro, i was moving to chennai for a while on work, and needed a car to drive around, mainly in town, and the occasional out of station drive. I started out by looking for a used Zen, but couldn't find a decent one, and most of therm were hopelessly priced. Also, i didn't want to have the hassle of fixing random broken bits on a used car, hence decided to take the new car route.

I then decided on a budget of around 4L OTR, and checked out the Alto, Santro and the then newly launched WagonR. The alto was too basic, hence dropped it. Then out went the santro, as it was already over a decade old, but the LPG option still tempted me. But the availability of LPG in chennai was a pain as most of the times the LPG queue was dominated by the auto wallahs. So that was out too.

Then came the WagonR, i drove it, and it seemed nice, the initial pickup was bad, but still decided to go for it. The booking procedures was started, and decided on a White VXI, but the lack of power still bugged me in the back of my mind. The next weekend, i was sitting at home, and decided to take another TD, and came back sorely disappointed. After driving my i20 crdi, this thing was barely moving. And i was sure that i would be fed up of this car within a year. Not good. Went ahead and cancelled my booking.

At the same time, i saw a white Ritz TD car there and checked it out, i liked it and decided to increase my budget a lil to get more options. The Ritz VXI was considered, but a couple of friends reported bad FE figures for it and hence, that too was dropped.

On the way back, passed by the ford showroom, and thought why not have a look at the figo? I had driven one earlier and was very impressed with it. Checked it out and loved it. But the issue was that at 5.20 OTR for the EXI, it was way over my initial budget, so considered the LXI. But then thought, what the heck, anyways i'll keep the car for a few years, then why get something cheaper now and regret later for not having basic features? Went ahead and booked a red EXI TDCI!

As usual,I had another change of mind!! The thought of the bikers in chennai, and limited water to wash the car, i decided to go for white, since its easier to touch up scratches, and easier to keep clean.

On July 26, My White beauty was delivered! Detailed pix and driving impressions will follow!

Last edited by JayD : 31st October 2010 at 20:43.
Old 31st October 2010, 21:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations JayD on your Ford Figo.

Trust me, a review without pictures is like a cake with no icing! Let me hope that you'll upload the pictures soon.

Does Ford Figo EXI come with red interiors? Btw, will you be going for accessories. say ICE, alloys, leather seats etc?

And, please update the thread with your driving impressions before the moderators lock your thread.

Drive safe and always wear your seatbelt.

EDIT: Hurray! I'm the first one to wish you here.

Amith

Last edited by Klub Class : 31st October 2010 at 21:58. Reason: Added a note, a smiley and a query!
Old 31st October 2010, 21:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice journey from Used ZEN to new FIGO. Guess that's what happens with most of us. We decide on a car and then think, a few more hundred on the EMI and jump.

Good logic for choosing white. I had a white car before and used to wipe it once a week, now I have a black one, and have to wipe it every alternate day!
Old 31st October 2010, 22:17   #4
BHPian

Hey JayD, congrats! .. and good to know there's another EXi TDCI on this forum. I think it was/is the best VFM diesel hatch out there right now!
Old 31st October 2010, 22:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Initial impressions

I did not want to drive a brand new car on a 700+km trip on the highway right out of the showroom, so i did a proper running in of 1500kms, a mix of city and highway drives, did an oil change and then took it on the highway trip to chennai.

Reading initial ownership reports of Figo's on the forum had me a little worried on the FE aspect, with people getting much lower figures than the fiesta. But on the highway drive to chennai, she easily managed 24.9kmpl, with mostly decent, but at times spirited driving thrown in!

MODS DONE:

HEADLIGHTS:The stock lights were pathetic to say the least, so i immediately upgraded to philips bluevision 100/90's and the change was quite noticeable. But more than the bulbs i think its the reflector that's the culprit.

FOGLAMPS: Unsatisified with the huge blind spot created by the headlamps, especially in high beam, i went and installed the ford OE fogs, from Kairali ford. It cost me around 4800/- but its worth every penny.
Even though the lights were awesome, the install experience was pathetic. They had initially just mounted the fogs randomly, and both were pointing in different directions, with a huge gap between the socket and the lamps. The technician coolly dismissed it off, saying that this is how it should be, and that i had no choice. I blew my top and started to look for any other fog installed figo in the garage. Thankfully, the green car used in the ads was lying abandoned there, and it had them installed. On being questioned, they claimed that it was a factory fit and that finish could not be replicated by a dealer. I asked them to give that in writing, and then the game changed. From somewhere, the service manager appeared and assured to set it right, which he did, after some trial and error. So at the end of the day, i walked away satisfied.

I tried to install HID's in the fogs, but nobody, including the service center was aware on what spec bulbs are used in the figo's fogs.

TINTS:
I wanted real dark tints so i installed Lumar Black 35 on the front windshield and a 20 grade tint from a brand called 'Filmpro" recommended by my local installer. The end result is good, and i must say, filmpro has way better heat rejection than lumar. There are a few bubbles here and there, need to get them sorted out.

SMARTWAX: This is a paint protectant similar to 3m, etc, but is done in a way more detailed way, and has proved to be real effective. Tar does not stick on to it now, and neither does stuff like tree sap(i park under a tree usually) etc, getting easily washed off.

My garage! well almost, some members are missing!!

My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-img_43662.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-0509201028123.jpg  

My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-0509201028112.jpg  

My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-0509201028134.jpg  

My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-0509201028145.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 31st October 2010 at 22:37.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2010, 23:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I
TINTS:[/b] I wanted real dark tints so i installed Lumar Black 35 on the front windshield and a 20 grade tint from a brand called 'Filmpro" recommended by my local installer.

Attachment 447056
Tints on the front wind sheild - Is it legal ? How is visibility in the night?
Old 31st October 2010, 23:51   #7
BHPian

Interesting account of your new aquisition!
Old 1st November 2010, 01:48   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the white Figo, looks cool

And please explain the naughty red sticker on the boot lid
Is is just to scare the guys or does it really mean business?
Anyways didn't see it mentioned on your mods list
Old 1st November 2010, 07:19   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on you good little car. White is the best colour for a Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post

+1. Have you got the Pete's on ? How much of an improvement do you see now ?
Old 1st November 2010, 11:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Congratulations JayD on your Ford Figo.

EDIT: Hurray! I'm the first one to wish you here.
Thank you KC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Nice journey from Used ZEN to new FIGO. Guess that's what happens with most of us. We decide on a car and then think, a few more hundred on the EMI and jump.

Good logic for choosing white. I had a white car before and used to wipe it once a week, now I have a black one, and have to wipe it every alternate day!

Thak you arun. Mos importantly, white looks awesome too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Hey JayD, congrats! .. and good to know there's another EXi TDCI on this forum. I think it was/is the best VFM diesel hatch out there right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Interesting account of your new aquisition!

Yes, it makes all the other hatches look overpriced in comparison!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Congratulations on you good little car. White is the best colour for a Figo.

+1. Have you got the Pete's on ? How much of an improvement do you see now ?
The petes sticker is not from the box, i have a green cotton storm filter. Its not yet been installed, as i have not found the perfect positioning for it. I'm checking the intake air temp with each different mounting, and will select the best one!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 1st November 2010 at 11:36. Reason: Removed the extra smiley.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Heads UP!!

I always had this weakness for getting more data about various parameters of the engine, while running, ie, instant mileage, intake temp, engine load etc. I really liked how the Punto displayed lots of such data on the MID, and wished the Figo came with atleast a real time mileage check.

Since it came with nothing like that, i decided to set it up on my own. A lot of research followed on getting the right hardware and software, but the end result was worth it. I've succeeded in getting data from the car's OBD port, and its now projected Jet fighter style, onto my cars windscreen!!

I have access to a Huuuge amount of info, some of them are

Engine load
RPM
REal time instant FE
Trip FE
Avg FE
Coolant temp
Turbo Boost
Voltmeter
Intake air temp
G force
0-100 time
Hp
Torque

the list goes on and on! Will update details on each f these shortly.
Here are some pix, sorry for the bad quality, taken from my fone cam!
Attached Thumbnails
My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-3110201028401.jpg  

My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-3110201028421.jpg  

My City warrior! Figo TDCI with a custom heads-up-display-3110201028431.jpg  

JayD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 11:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

How!!!!
I am literally floored!! What did you, equipment and details of how you installed the stuff would help us a lot, I would like to do a similar thing to my Figo too! Please!
Old 1st November 2010, 11:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

White better to maintain ? Its tough to match shades of white right? [quote] for white, since its easier to touch up scratches, and easier to keep clean.[\quote]

Would love to hear more about the OBD stuff.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your car!
What you have done with the MFD is simply brilliant - never seen anything like this!
Details Plz
Old 1st November 2010, 12:40   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats JayD.White figo looks smashing!

And i am completely floored by the MFD projector.Can you please give more details like make,price,where you bought it.I have a i20 CRDi,can i install it in my car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks