Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 19:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta - 2 Years & 2nd Service Completed!

@crackingride
Quote:
For the new place, a Yeti makes more sense to me. So until I decide that, the car must wait.
I dont think we should compare Jetta and Yeti. Both are meant for different purposes. We didn't like Yeti for mainly the rear space. It was cramped for us. We test the rear seat while i take the drivers seat and adjust to my usual driving position. We took turns to sit down and felt it was too cramped.

Also I am not sure if the Diesel version of Jetta will get the engine upgrade in India. The transmission will get an upgrade from 5MT to 6MT and the DSG. Also the power may be increased to match the Laura with the same engine (140 BHP). I wonder if they can re-map the old Jettas to 140 BHP if it doesnt require any physical modification to the complete engine set up?

If India gets the Europe model the pricing may not be around 15L but around 18L ex-showroom.
Old 1st February 2011, 22:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@crackingride
Also I am not sure if the Diesel version of Jetta will get the engine upgrade in India. The transmission will get an upgrade from 5MT to 6MT and the DSG. Also the power may be increased to match the Laura with the same engine (140 BHP). I wonder if they can re-map the old Jettas to 140 BHP if it doesnt require any physical modification to the complete engine set up?
The 110hp engine is SOHC whereas the 140hp version is DOHC. I do not think VW might be interested in upgrading the engine/transmission options at a stage where the next gen Jetta is around the corner.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
@crackingride

I dont think we should compare Jetta and Yeti. Both are meant for different purposes.
Also I am not sure if the Diesel version of Jetta will get the engine upgrade in India.
If India gets the Europe model the pricing may not be around 15L but around 18L ex-showroom.
Yes, the Yeti makes more sense for the other place because it is hill and valley driving, a lot of rain, etc. A place where the Haldex clutch and Hill descent would be used at least once in a while.

The rear bench space is not too critical for me. The Jetta makes sense if I continue in Bangalore.

If the diesels are upgraded to the 140Bhp for a new Jetta model ( I think a DSG is out of the question), they would have to do some serious cost cutting to bring it in at a more attractive price (18L is already the current price). Which means, the Skodas shine as better value, any day.

Its another matter that when the next gen laura is launched, it might suffer the same fate as the Fabia and be really dumbed down to slot under the corresponding VWs.

There is going to be a window here where the VWs will transition to cheaper versions, and where the Skodas are actually better specced and cheaper.

When the Skodas transition to new models, then they will probably come in even cheaper and all will be well, apart from the consumer not having anything decent to buy.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the Skodas transition to new models, then they will probably come in even cheaper and all will be well, apart from the consumer not having anything decent to buy.
Bring in the diesel Civic i say .

VW has to take the price cut route considering a top end spec Jetta with DSG may cost close to 21L where the Passat base version starts. One may not even consider Jetta and go the Passat route.

Pricing of Passat this summer would clearly indicate the direction of VW in India. The competetion from Civic and Accord could drive VW to price the wagon lower which inturn will translate to cost cutting.

There will be the higher end version with option to get bigger fatter engines but i doubt if it can match Civic or Accord pricing.
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:17   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have got the mail id of the MD there and I am thinking of writing my sales experience. Let him decide on how he can improve the sales experience of customers.

Do you guys think I should forget this whole experience and leave it there or write a report to the sales manager?
Quite an appalling behaviour from the sales folks. You should definitely report this to the sales manager or higher ups.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:10   #36
BHPian

does the jetta come with heated seats?
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
does the jetta come with heated seats?
Yes ishlinea7260. Both the front seats are heated. Not that it requires in India as far as I can see(atleast in Chennai).

I see you have the Superb. "DROOoooooLLLL"
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:09   #38
BHPian

Can you tell us which branch you had this horrendous experience?? So Chennai members can distant themselves from it

O.T. Have heard similar stories happening in Trans car showroom as well who deals with MB. ETA group owns both Trans car and VW show rooms in Chennai so I guess it’s their syndrome
Old 4th February 2011, 13:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
For any other car, this would be true. But if you have been following the New Jetta internationally, you will know that the US version has been universally panned for its looks and more so for the sheer scale of "dumbing down" that has taken place inside and out.

You will get a "newer" car, sure, and it might be bigger in the back seat, but that will be about all. In such a case, a Vento should be sufficient!
We dont know yet, as to which version OR engines will hit the Indian shores, officially yet, so let us leave it there. But we are almost certain that there will be upgrades to the current Jetta engine (remember reading it sometime back, in Autocar/Overdrive). As per my understanding, the US version is de-speced (including the suspension & interior quality) partly because those are areas that the US market don't seem to be too sensitive about, and hence a means for cutting costs there- as per VW research.

BUT, both Euro & US versions are consistent in their exterior looks; not just Jetta, but Passat & Phaeton too have undergone design changes to be consistent with the new VW design strategy: Yes, now all their cars (Vento-Jetta-Passat-Phaeton) will look similar & appears as though they have "evolved" from the basic Polo design, but vary in dimensions, engines, specifications & features, though. This is much like the design strategies of Audi/BMW/Merc etc.
Hence, my point is, the current Jetta would soon look outdated (in a few months) & wont relate to the new VW designs at all. The current Jetta looks very much a boot'ed Golf, while the 2011 model is entirely different. I am 100% sure that at the price segment, its customers would not like to go back a Generation, even if it is limited to looks, forget the proposition of getting upgrades in engine & specs (esp. after they are aware of the 2011 model).
Old 4th February 2011, 13:58   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
We dont know yet, as to which version OR engines will hit the Indian shores, officially yet, so let us leave it there. But we are almost certain that there will be upgrades to the current Jetta engine (remember reading it sometime back, in Autocar/Overdrive). As per my understanding, the US version is de-speced (including the suspension & interior quality) partly because those are areas that the US market don't seem to be too sensitive about, and hence a means for cutting costs there- as per VW research.

BUT, both Euro & US versions are consistent in their exterior looks; not just Jetta, but Passat & Phaeton too have undergone design changes to be consistent with the new VW design strategy: Yes, now all their cars (Vento-Jetta-Passat-Phaeton) will look similar & appears as though they have "evolved" from the basic Polo design, but vary in dimensions, engines, specifications & features, though. This is much like the design strategies of Audi/BMW/Merc etc.
Hence, my point is, the current Jetta would soon look outdated (in a few months) & wont relate to the new VW designs at all. The current Jetta looks very much a boot'ed Golf, while the 2011 model is entirely different. I am 100% sure that at the price segment, its customers would not like to go back a Generation, even if it is limited to looks, forget the proposition of getting upgrades in engine & specs (esp. after they are aware of the 2011 model).
I guess this is not much of a point to make here - talking about the new Jetta which could be launched sometimes in late 2011, or early 2012 (in India).
VW2010 has bought a Jetta which is currently available in market, and the thread is to talk about that.
The upcoming Jetta maybe following the latest VW design ideas, but that does not take anything away from the current model. Its a well-kitted car, with immaculate build quality, and have the best in class interiors compared to its competition. Though based, on the MKV Golf, its an elegant looking car, and the boot does not look like a forced addition.

So VW2010, continue penning down your new car experience, and I am sure the car will serve you well for years
Old 4th February 2011, 14:30   #41
BHPian

VW2010, congratulations on a great buy, this thread is a nice read and detailed pictures to match, drive safe. You should certainly, shoot out a mail to VW as well and explain your pathetic buying experience etc..
Old 4th February 2011, 21:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess this is not much of a point to make here - talking about the new Jetta which could be launched sometimes in late 2011, or early 2012 (in India).
VW2010 has bought a Jetta which is currently available in market, and the thread is to talk about that.
So VW2010, continue penning down your new car experience, and I am sure the car will serve you well for years
Yes, I completely agree; its VW2010's thread and off course it is an awesome ride, that he has in his garage. Jetta, in its current form, is one of the best (quality wise) we have in that price bracket & segment in India. My comment was not intended to hack this thread, but was trying to help @crackingride decide on his next car (He seemed confused whether to go for the current one / Yeti/ wait for the new one).

Last edited by JJames : 4th February 2011 at 21:24.
Old 9th February 2011, 21:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is it so?. Based on a discussion with the VW sales team, I was under the impression that the new Jetta launch will be in Q2 2011 - May / June time. Any body has better news on this?
Old 9th February 2011, 22:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Is it so?. Based on a discussion with the VW sales team, I was under the impression that the new Jetta launch will be in Q2 2011 - May / June time. Any body has better news on this?
New Jetta is coming after the new Passat. The Passat arrives in April. Jetta launch is at the fag end of this year. That is Q4.
Old 9th February 2011, 22:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi VW2010. The car just looks great.
Congrats on your buy, sorry for being late to congratulate you. Saw your pics, you have captured all aspects of your car.

Was expecting to see your car in the Tambaram meet, missed it.

Most Viewed