Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 10:31   #1
BHPian

Toyota Etios - Booking to Delivery 45 Days

Just got my Etios home last evening in Gurgaon. Driven 35 kms, like the initial feel of it.

Got it with 7kms on the odo so a bit rough.

Enough good things have been said about it so not going there, I believe it is like A R Rahman's music....it grows on you...

My first evening with it: Slightly disappointing...No floor mats, mud flaps with the dealership, no body cover. No Demo of the car and its features at delivery though I was introduced to the Service Manager in person.

Quality of plastics: HORRIBLE! the dash has three types/colors; the hood over the speedo is best in terms of quality and color, the flat surface in front of it..and the front surface that houses the controls etc...is like from a Tobu cycle...nowhere close to the current Dzire/Swift plastic quality. Not sure if a INR 5000 increase in price could have given better plastics but a huge boost to the interior image.

Seats: Size, support excellent and comparable to my existing Baleno. Quality of fabric, slightly better than a gunny bag! Fortunately seat covers will go over them and provide some respite. Again another INR 5000 to the price of the vehicle with better seat fabric would have taken it far far ahead of the benchmark, read Dzire.

The demo Etios (G) had Bridgestone tyres, mine (G) comes with GoodYears' Not sure which is better

Boot space: Well, one could have a party in there...the cover that covers the spare tyre...hmm I had to ask the sales guy that if I put 2 suitcases in there will it not perforate (yes perforate is the word, given the thickness of it)?

More to come including pictures.
RegularIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2011, 10:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Etios - Booking to Delivery 45 Days

Congratz and looking forward to it. Its a cheap sedan from Toyota, so one will have to definitely adjust expectations. But yes as you said why compromise so much.

Looking forward to a more detailed report and pictures.
Old 18th January 2011, 10:47   #3
BHPian

Hey Mag reports suggest this is 11 sec car to 100kph! POWER! The drive should be good, as well as the ride. Hope to hear more on this soon.

Congratulations!
Old 18th January 2011, 10:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey RegularIndian,
Congratulations on the Etios!! Wishing you unlimited happy and safe miles with it. Waiting for a detailed report and pics of your new ride.

BTW, didn't 7kms on the odo feel odd to you? I mean, its excellent to get a car run so less, but generally one gets around 30 odd kms on the odo. Or Toyota don't drive the car to the RTO for passing?
Old 18th January 2011, 11:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey RegularIndian,
Congrats... You have got the car in record time. My friend had booked two months ago and the delivery date has now gone to april as against the promised february...that too being in the same town where the car is manufactured.

I'm waiting eagerly for your ownership report. especially the quality of materials and the drive quality. That must be a nice input for my friend who is now thinking of other options if the delivery stretches beyond May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
BTW, didn't 7kms on the odo feel odd to you? I mean, its excellent to get a car run so less, but generally one gets around 30 odd kms on the odo. Or Toyota don't drive the car to the RTO for passing?
@Reinhard,
In many places the car is never driven to the RTO, the executives in the showroom take the engine and chassis number embossing mark on the registration form (by rubbing pencil on the paper placed on the engine number mark). Its not the right way but these things do happen.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularIndian View Post

The demo Etios (G) had Bridgestone tyres, mine (G) comes with GoodYears' Not sure which is better
Bridgestones are better than crappy Goodyears, BTW are they GT3?
Upgrade them.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. Do post some pics and detailed experience as soon as possible.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularIndian View Post

More to come including pictures.
Hey congrats.
Amazing how you got the car so quick!!!!
I head that there are long waiting periods.

And where are pics?? Oh boy am I not looking forward to this car.

How is the ride??
Is it quick as its fabled to be?????

Last edited by download2live : 18th January 2011 at 11:51.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:58   #9
BANNED

Congrats on your new car. Sad to hear that the quality of the plastics and fabrics is bad. You should give your feedback to the company. However expect the car to be trouble free like all the Toyota's on the road. I've seen a couple of Etios on the road and it looks quite nice on the outside. Never got a chance to look at the interiors in detail.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:07   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the new car.

The interiors feedback leads one to believe that you had not checked out the interiors before booking.

I guess hence you were able to book first and be among the first and fastest to get your hands on one.

It should deliver you many years of trouble free lowcost ownership which seems to be the only major promise for this car from Toyota.

Actually a cheap looking pastic if it does not break probably qualifies as "Q" for Toyota for the Etios.

It is rare to see an owner of a new car give such a frank opinion of the car as it is.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:11   #11
BHPian

Well, sometimes the Hype just gets to us , wrote this in my Etios booking experience on TBHP...I wont be surprised to see more taxis that are Etios than those driven by us.

Ride definitely excellent...the manual suggests driving with patience and care for first 300kms and then until it clocks 1600 kms..one can take a little more liberty...so following what the doctor says! Did some 4th gearing at 30 kmph and 5th gearing at 40 kmph...effortless! Not testing its full power yet, will do a 5 adult long drive over the weekend ..when it also gets its aftermarket accessories.

Honestly, I was not mentally prepared to take a delivery in January when the expectation was to get it in March / April. Maybe the choice of dealer, color and variant and the fact that it is booked in my wife's name made a difference to the allotment.

The tyres look good... Tyre noise is non existent while driving on Delhi Gurgaon expressway. Only time will tell if these GoodYears' are better than the 60k kms old Bridgestones' on my Baleno that have a puncture record of 1 in the last 6 yrs.

The tyres pick up gravel from the road, and gurgaon roads r full of it, and throw them in the wheel wells...the sound says there isnt enough sound insulation there.I have read this in some reviews and experienced it too. Any suggestions on how to reduce this noise are welcome!

Not wanting to digress from the protagonist .. the dealer is after my life to get a 'Teflon' coat/polish and underbody anti rust coating and I have not accepted that. The dealership charges 7k+ for it, Reliance Autozone 3k and TVS CarPlus 2600....is it worth it??? is my question...
Old 18th January 2011, 12:16   #12
BANNED

Congrats on the car. This is the first Etios delivered on TBHP. If this car proves itself to be rattle free and robust in the long run, it might very well signal the end of Maruti's dominance of the Indian market. Do post a detailed delivery experience and lots of pictures.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:20   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually a cheap looking pastic if it does not break probably qualifies as "Q" for Toyota for the Etios.
I would probably agree with Toyota on that. The Etios is a VFM product and personally I would value durability more than style if I was to buy such a product. However if it turns out to be a negative, Toyota will do an upgrade. Remember the original Qualis came with a rear sliding window but that didn't stop people from buying it. The sliding window was very durable and people are still using it without any leakages or rattling. Toyota may compromise on style but not on durability.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car. What was actual On road price and in which city in NCR was it registered?
Old 18th January 2011, 12:32   #15
BHPian

On Road Price in Gurgaon for G variant is INR 599,957..for that kind of money, you do expect a standard, balance is the word. You cannot have a world class engine, durability etc etc but plastics that spoil the show.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks