Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 11:59   #106
BHPian

Re: Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue

Great enviable pics from you! I have been thru Bandipur some 6 times in the past 5 years and have seen tigers in plenty, but on T- shirts only. Wonder if I should trail you secretly next time to improve my chances of sighting
Old 15th December 2012, 17:43   #107
Senior - BHPian

I give up, surrender and kneel down. This picture is my favourite too. I might ask you to give me a 36x24 blow-up to adorn my drawing room wall - if only you agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

Thanks GD, just to annoy you further I am attaching two more leopard images from the trip. I have quite a few more from the trip

Attachment 1026263

My south India trip (made & cancelled) since 2006 should happen anytime. may I, then request you to accompany me along with that "close group of photgraphers" to Bandipur, Kabini & Nagarhole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

....... I always travel with a close group of photographers who have been going to Kabini/Bandipur since the nineties. They know these forests like the back of their hand and even the residents cats
Old 16th December 2012, 08:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures. I cannot stop looking at them again and again....
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 13:59   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I give up, surrender and kneel down. This picture is my favourite too. I might ask you to give me a 36x24 blow-up to adorn my drawing room wall - if only you agree.....request you to accompany me along with that "close group of photgraphers" to Bandipur, Kabini & Nagarhole?
Thanks a lot. Feel free to ask for high res versions of any of the images and whenever you make plans for visiting the forests down south let me know.

In the spotlight

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_m1d4258.jpg

Territory marking

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_m1d4268.jpg

The loner

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_m1d4386.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 19:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Robi,

This guy is very relaxed in day light, very unlikely behavior expected from a leopard.
What distance was he from you and at what focal length were these magnificent captures?
Regards,
Old 16th December 2012, 20:40   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Robi,

This guy is very relaxed in day light, very unlikely behavior expected from a leopard.
What distance was he from you and at what focal length were these magnificent captures?
Regards,
The leopard in the images is the dominant male from the segur junction area in Nagarhole. He is very used to safari vehicles and is usually not bothered by tourists, somewhat like the tigers from central indian parks.

I shot most of the leopard images with a 70-200 lens at varying focal lengths. At times it was as close as 20 meters from the vehicle.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 15:15   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Robi,

Regards,
Fazal bhai - i think Kabini is a place where you can see Leopards exhibiting this kind of behaviour due to lower population of tigers. After all, It is known as leopard country

Also - Robi's visits with the "close group of photographers" must have something to do with this high number of leopard encounters

All great pics Robi - thanks!
Old 21st December 2012, 18:14   #113
Senior - BHPian

Robi,
Fantastic photos! Near time you go to Kabini, please let me know. I would like to join you group if possible. I have been there just once, and that too when safaris were temporarily banned.
Old 10th July 2014, 19:00   #114
BHPian

Any one visited Kabini recently ? We are planning to drive down to River Lodges Kabini this weekend and wanted to check out the road conditions to Kabini and some tips and suggestions for the stay and safari
Old 10th July 2014, 20:57   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Any one visited Kabini recently ? We are planning to drive down to River Lodges Kabini this weekend and wanted to check out the road conditions to Kabini and some tips and suggestions for the stay and safari
I visited Kabini end of May. The roads all the way to Jungle lodges from Bangalore were good except for the last 1 or 2 kilometres. That also was being laid then. I am sure by now it would have been completed.
Old 13th July 2014, 20:03   #116
BHPian

How does the JLR stay work? I mean, is it useful or worth if only one night can be spent at JLR, Kabini? How best can it be planned and what all activities can be done? Suggestions please. This is for a quick trip tentatively in late Aug or early Sep.
Old 13th July 2014, 23:32   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
How does the JLR stay work? I mean, is it useful or worth if only one night can be spent at JLR, Kabini? How best can it be planned and what all activities can be done? Suggestions please. This is for a quick trip tentatively in late Aug or early Sep.
Kabini JLR folks are very professional and they ensure your stay is very peaceful and enjoyable. It is very much worth and useful if you can spend atleast 2 nights,if you are very much interested in wildlife.

If you are looking for just a quick trip, one night can be done, provided you are very lucky to spot tigers

When you are in JLR, you don't plan the itinerary as it is fixed by them. The usual itinerary is as below in most of the JLRs for a one night stay.

Day-1 :
Check in at Noon, Finish lunch and refresh.
They will take you inside forest ( Nagarhole National park in case of Kabini) in Jeep safari for 3 hours (3:30 to 6 or so) for wildlife sighting.
Return back to JLR, finish breakfast and rest for the day. Mind that there is no television in JLR rooms.

Date-2:
Wake up around 5:30 and finish morning tea/coffee.
They will again take you inside the forest for wildlife sighting. (between 6 to 9:30 or so)
Return back to JLR and finish breakfast.
Checkout.

Few important notes when you are in JLR.
It is not a regular resort, so there will be restrictions inside JLR (like no loud music, no TV, no loud talking when you are wildlife safari in jeep, no littering etc).
If you have small kids, please ensure they also don't make noise in jeep safari.
Don't step out/get down from Jeep during safari.

Ofcourse, they will provide more instructions, but just a heads up if you are new to it.

HTH
-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 13th July 2014 at 23:38.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 00:22   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Along with what Ravi mentioned in earlier post I would like to add the following.
- Unless you are adamant about the same JLR people will be planning on jeep safari during one time and boat safari the another, both has its on advantages. You can select based on your like.
- Best option is to book tented cottages since they are cheaper. There is no danger from any wildlife in Kababi JLR, so paying higher for room is not of much use.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 10:13   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue

Had been to Kabini for a couple of nights, after the news spread that black panther has been sighted there. Unfortunately could not see the black panther but had some good tiger sightings.
Attached Thumbnails
Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_u7v0290.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_u7v0214.jpg  

Last edited by robimahanta : 1st November 2014 at 10:37.
robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 01:10   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Did another short trip to Kabini and it never fails to disappoint. It was really amazing to follow a leopard all the way from a watering hole to it climbing on top of an abandoned temple. Photography wise light was not that great but it was a really memorable sighting. Some images from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_dsm1264.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_dsm1284.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_dsm1296.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_dsm1322.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_dsm1352.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_dsm1371.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_dsm1403.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_u7v0112.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_u7v0197.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_u7v0270.jpg  

Bandipur & Kabini over weekends : Photologue-_u7v0022.jpg