Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Velankanni Church....and a brilliant sunset!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
The water from the tank is given to devotees. The water is pure and doesn't have any salty taste!
Is that the tank in the snap where people are trying to see something through the golden top?
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Our Lady's Tank

@ Amit, yes, that is the Our Lady's Tank. Now it is totally covered and concreted and resembles a well. One can however look through the metal covering on top and see water inside.

Here is another pic showing the tank and its position.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-our_ladys_tank.jpg
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

A truly dramatic, magnificent and incredible sunset!

The basilica at 6.30 pm.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-church.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-church.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-church_and_the_amazing_sky.jpg

When I captured the brilliant sunset from the basilica, I thought that I was lucky that I got some outstanding pics!

Little did I know what was in store for me!

The skyscape changed dramatically within a few minutes and I was the luckiest person in the whole of Velankanni when I witnessed one of the most dramatic, magnificent and incredible sunsets I had ever seen!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-brilliant_sunset.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5a-brilliant_sunset.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-brilliant_sunset.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-velankanni_skyscape-brilliant_sunset.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-brilliant_sunset.jpg

Two panoramas!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano_sunset.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano_truly_magnificent_sunset.jpg
Chevy_lover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:09   #49
BHPian

Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Amazing photographs C_L, as usual. The Church architecture is really impressive. Following the thread closely.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:25   #50
cLJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@CL,
Sorry for the naive question.
Apart from religious visits do regular tourists also come down to Velankanni?
Just to visit the beauty of the church itself?

How does one time this visit ? (In other words are there visitor timings so that
one can enjoy the architecture, without disturbing the services?)
No time limit, anybody can visit anytime and offer prayers. But the Holy Mass only at the certain times. Church is open all day through.
cLJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:49   #51
BHPian

Re: A truly dramatic, magnificent and incredible sunset!

Fantastic Light show over the sky.

@Chevy_lover, This travelogue is going to be another milestone for you. Thanks for it.
ramanan.skr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:43   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drive to Velankanni...

Quote:

TVM – Nagercoil is the worst highway one can ever drive in .

The sky was lit up magically
Yes, the TVM - Nagercoil is really dangerous and especially due to the road condition, blind curves and the speed of Kerala State Govt Buses.

Awesome pics, Chevy_lover

Any specific reason for the doing full tank during fueling??
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 00:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Thanks for the appreciation, LDL bhai, Ramanan.skr and Arun. Thanks for the clarification CLJ.

The light show took my breath away. Sadly my wife wasn't there for the finale!

@Arun, did you mean why I do not fill up my tank fully all the time? I fill up only when I see a well maintained and relatively new pump. I filled up fully from Pune, Kolhapur, Hosur and twice from Trivandrum.

Rest of the time, I just filled up for Rs. 500 or Rs. 1k, according to the situation. Many times, I had to drive long distances with bad fuel and I had a terrible time because of decreased engine performance, just because I chose the wrong pump to fill up my Chevy's tank! So I am wary about filling up Chevy's tank all the time.

Once, after a full tank from an IOC pump near Tumkur, my Chevy refused to go above 120. I had to drive hundreds of kilometres before I could fill up again!!!

I generally use ONLY HP or BP's fuel.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 07:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thanks

Quote:
I fill up only when I see a well maintained and relatively new pump.... Many times, I had to drive long distances with bad fuel and I had a terrible time.....
Yes choosing the right pump is the right way to fill up. A bad pump manned by ill mannered personnel is to be avoided at all times.
I have one more pre requisite in addition to the above. The pump has to be on the LHS of the road to avoid cutting out and cutting in through traffic.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 09:10   #55
J.Ravi

Re: A place to rest! Finally....!

Quote:
Chevy baby had performed brilliantly. We had covered 1525 kilometres in a day without crossing 140 kmph even once.
Fantastic drive! Breathtaking photographs. I too enjoyed my visit to Velankanni shrine on 18 August 2011.
  (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 13:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Fantastic drive! Breathtaking photographs. I too enjoyed my visit to Velankanni shrine on 18 August 2011.
Thank you, J. Ravi.

How is the road condition now? Any improvement?

@Rajeev, which is your preferred pump?
Old 4th September 2011, 13:43   #57
J.Ravi

Quote:
How is the road condition now? Any improvement?
The road condition was fine all the way to Velankanni notwithstanding the monsoon. The details are here.
  (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 16:36   #58
BHPian

Hi Chevy_Lover,

Awesome travelogue.Thoroughly enjoyed the write-up and the photos.Reminds me of my non stop drive (was the lone driver) from Bangalore to Durg in my Civic with a 2 hour power nap just after Nagpur (at a Place called Bhadrak if I remember correctly) in a Petrol pump.That trip had taken me 27 hours including the 2 hour break.Had driven from Durg to Kanha /Kisli and Bandavgarh during that trip.

I hope to visit the Churches captured in your pics some day.Amazing architecture.

Cheers.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 20:00   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thanks

Quote:
@Arun, did you mean why I do not fill up my tank fully all the time? I fill up only when I see a well maintained and relatively new pump. I filled up fully from Pune, Kolhapur, Hosur and twice from Trivandrum.

Rest of the time, I just filled up for Rs. 500 or Rs. 1k, according to the situation. Many times, I had to drive long distances with bad fuel and I had a terrible time because of decreased engine performance, just because I chose the wrong pump to fill up my Chevy's tank! So I am wary about filling up Chevy's tank all the time.

Once, after a full tank from an IOC pump near Tumkur, my Chevy refused to go above 120. I had to drive hundreds of kilometres before I could fill up again!!!

I generally use ONLY HP or BP's fuel.
Got your point and will keep this in mind during my long drives. I normally look for BP's with credit card facility and if i am not able to find one then i go for lesser amount.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 23:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Hi Chevy_Lover, Awesome travelogue.Thoroughly enjoyed the write-up and the photos.

I hope to visit the Churches captured in your pics some day.Amazing architecture. Cheers.
Thanks a ton for your kind words, Ramanak. This was your first post in Team Bhp, by the way! Welcome to this great community. I am sure you'll enjoy your stay here.

Our drive was fantastic. There are lots of pics from Munnar coming up shortly. I hope you'll enjoy the remaining parts too!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks