Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 22:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

CL, Pictures are mind blowing.

The Stretch after the Chinnakanal falls seems to be always foggy. I have done this route for atleast 3 times and every time I encountered think fog.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 23:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

Finally, mesmerizing Munnar....!

The scenery was outstanding as always!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-beautiful_road.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-lone_tree.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-stunning.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-stunning_view.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-beautiful_bungalow.jpg

We reached Munnar after an exhilarating drive at 8.30 am. We went to Jay's Tourist Home and checked in. They offered us a deluxe room with a great view of the town.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-22-room_jays.jpg

Munnar town was bustling with energy as always!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-23-munnar_town.jpg

A church, A mosque and a temple!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-24-church.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-25-mosque.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-26-temple.jpg

Munnar town...

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-27-part_of_the_town.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-28-view_from_our_balcony.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-29-river_flowing_nearby.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 6th September 2011 at 23:45.
Chevy_lover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 00:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures and the narrations on Munnar has mesmerized me like Mandrake's gestures and made me wake up in those days many years ago when I did my schooling there.. I am excited and thrilled. Many many thanks CL for taking me back to Munnar in a time capsule.

The Church was as it was then without much change. The temple has become a bit bigger and regarding the Mosque I fail to recollect the looks.

Three Rivers and Three Houses of Worship co-existing in the same vicinity. Really great.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 06:54   #79
BHPian

Great write up and lovely pics C_L!

The drive up to Munnar is exhilarating with narrow, winding roads flanked by greenery all the way. I remember encountring lots of fog and rain when I drove there from Thekkady in June last year. Your lovely travelogue has brought back all those wonderful memories. Thanks!
canonguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 11:21   #80
BHPian

Oh CL.. You are amazing..incredible..astonishing..astounding..unbe lievable..and the list can go on and on..for your energy levels, patience, concentration and not but not the least for a safer drive..

Once I had been in the B9R you had mentioned from Bangalore to Trivandrum through tirunelveli and I felt that drive to be tiring (just by taking rest), but what you have done here is unbelievable..

I too can say that I have driven, but not to the extent as you have done..I might have driven for around 13hrs..It also depends on your partner and I must say you have a very good support for your trips..Hats off to you both..

Your pictures speak..great photography, very scenic pictures..I hope to do a trip like yours atleast once..You have become an inspiration for me . Thanks for sharing those..

You have hell a lot of patience for giving a caption for the pictures. 5 Stars for the excellent write up..

Planning to do a return trip the same way or with breaks? Wish you a very Happy and Safe Driving..
informmaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 12:24   #81
BHPian

Great capturing of the landscapes there CL. Really beautiful. Highly appreciate yours and your better-half's patience for clicking so many and sharing with all of us. Makes the experience all the more sweet, isn't it?

I was to travel to Munnar and Alleppy last month but had to postpone the journey in the last minute due to some personal reasons. Will be doing the same between 19th - 24th September and your thread is giving me the fist hand information of what to be expected. I am glued..

Great going. Looking forward to the coming posts.

Thanks and rated the thread 5.

Luv,
Manjunath
Indian Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 13:11   #82
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful CL. No words to describe. God has given beautiful places to enjoy and Munnar is one among them.

How is the Munnar to Udumalpet road via chinnar? Any idea.

Night driving is OK if the roads are good and the main advantage is absence of two wheeler menace and pedestrian crossing.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 14:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, friends!!!

@RGK, thank you for the appreciation, friend!

Munnar - Udumalpet road is terrific!!! The most scenic drive in Munnar!!! We went on that route twice! I have covered the stretch fantastically! Stay tuned for the pics. I am sure you'll enjoy them!

We enjoy night drives. The reasons? You already mentioned!!! :-)

@Indian Ranger, thanks a lot for the comments, rating and appreciation, my friend. I am glad you understand the effort my wife put in to capture these snaps. Believe me, it isn't easy to take photos from a moving vehicle, on a twisty road, looking through the viewfinder all the time!!! Our camera doesn't have Live View. So we always check through the view finder. But we love the traditional way of photography!!!

I am sure you'll enjoy Munnar when you visit later this month. Looking forward to a travelogue from you too!

@informmaha, I am speechless, buddy! What an appreciation!!!

I am happy that you liked the pics and even happier to know that I was able to inspire you to do another trip!!! Thanks for the ratings! Yes, I agree with you. A good partner is an absolute must!!!

We returned back home after spending three days in Munnar. That time it was with a lot of breaks!!!

@canonguy, thanks for the appreciation, friend. The drive to Munnar was indeed fantastic.

@rajeev k, Thanks buddy! That was a wonderful way to appreciate our work!!! I am happy that I was able to rekindle your memories with our pics!!!

Seeing the church, mosque and a temple together was indeed fantastic!!!

Stay tuned for more pics!

@RameshNanda, thanks for the appreciation, friend. The fog covered road was superb!!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 7th September 2011 at 15:05.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 20:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Rose Garden, Munnar! An explosion of colours!!!

We decided to take it easy on the day we reached Munnar. We slept for the next seven hours, relaxed and got ourselves acclimatized. We explored the city in the evening, had dinner from a hotel inside the market and returned back to our hotel. It was raining continuously and we did not enjoy walking on the muddy roads much!

Day 22

The next day, we hired a Jeep to take us on a wild ride to Mattupetty and Top Slip. We decided to let Chevy take rest. I also wanted to let my wife experience the thrill of the drive! I took over the duty of photography!!

Our first stop was the Rose Garden. There was an explosion of colours inside the garden! Let's go inside. Entry is FREE for my readers!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1.jpg

There is a tiny bug inside the flower!!! Zoom to see the cutie!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-ornamental_pineapple.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-fuchsia.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-26-anthorium.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-25.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-24.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-23-germaniums.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-dove_orchid.jpg
Old 7th September 2011, 21:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

An explosion of colours!!! Part 2!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7.jpg

A Humming Bird's Nest?

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-22-birds_nest.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18.jpg

Cacti!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-cacti.jpg

This flower was smaller than my finger nail!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11.jpg
Old 7th September 2011, 23:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thank you, friends!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Munnar - Udumalpet road is terrific!!! The most scenic drive in Munnar!!! We went on that route twice! I have covered the stretch fantastically! Stay tuned for the pics. I am sure you'll enjoy them!
Munnar - Udumalp[et road was also called as NO Road, for Northern Outlet Road. I recollect the visuals of that road then. Was narrow and beautiful indeed. The highest elevation it touches is 7250 Feet above MSL just on the foothills of Anamala, Kerala's highest peak.

I forgot to ask one thing. Is the once famous suspension bridge still rendering service in the heart of Munnar Town.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th September 2011 at 23:20.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 00:18   #87
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thank you, friends!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Munnar - Udumalp[et road was also called as NO Road, for Northern Outlet Road. I recollect the visuals of that road then. Was narrow and beautiful indeed. The highest elevation it touches is 7250 Feet above MSL just on the foothills of Anamala, Kerala's highest peak.

I forgot to ask one thing. Is the once famous suspension bridge still rendering service in the heart of Munnar Town.
Thanks for that useful info, Rajeev Bhai.

The bridge is indeed in very good condition. Here is a pic, which I had posted earlier. The bridge is inside the circle! Click on the pic and zoom!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-28-view_from_our_balcony.jpg
Old 8th September 2011, 01:06   #88
BHPian

Re: Rose Garden, Munnar! An explosion of colours!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
an explosion of colours inside the garden! Let's go inside. Entry is FREE for my readers!!!
Wow CN bhai, that was a riot of colours !

I bow a hundred times for your humble intention of bringing so much detail for your readers. Yes, the narration and photographs itself stands out in this travelogue. But i doubt if we could find so much detail anywhere else. Its like we have been treated to a spectacle.

Thank you.

We're on board.. please drive on.
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 01:29   #89
Senior - BHPian

Elephant Point, Mattupetty Dam and Echo Point!

We enjoyed the drive in the Jeep to the max. My wife was clinging on for her dear life and it was fun seeing her terrified expressions, when the driver sped through the sharp curves!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-wife_and_the_jeep.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-a_beautiful_tree.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-tea_estates.jpg

Our second point was the Elephant Park. We did not want to burden the poor elephants and wisely decided to stay away from them!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-elephant_park.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-elephant.jpg

This guy was a little upset seeing me! Maybe he felt threatened!!!

Wait! Is he reaching for the stone????

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-elephant_got_upset_seeing_me.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-taking_rest.jpg

Leaves waiting to be devoured by the gentle giant!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-coconut_leaves.jpg

A photo of Jesus on the Jeep! It was a pleasant surprise!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-a_photo_of_jesus_on_the_jeep.jpg

My wife is a seasoned rider by now!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-a_twisty_ride.jpg

Madupatty Estate!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-madupatty_tea_condition.jpg

The Mattupetty Dam

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-mattupetty_dam.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-dam.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-other_side_of_the_dam.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-shops.jpg

Echo Point! The place was very crowded! But I manged to make the crowd disappear! All I had to do was scream "Snake!!!" and run!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-echo_point.jpg

Brilliant Lake! Reminded me of Avalanche!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-beautiful_lake.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-serene_lake.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-dense_forest.jpg

The forest is so dense and the lake beautiful!!

Attachment 606272

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-serene_lake.jpg

Some Panoramas!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano_1.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano_2.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano_3.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano_4.jpg

Just could not resist the urge to post two pics of Avalanche! Just for comparison! Let me know your thoughts!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-avalanche_lake.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-lake_at_avalanche.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th September 2011 at 15:43. Reason: deleted the repeated picture
Old 8th September 2011, 07:39   #90
Team-BHP Support

Wow! The lake really looks like Avalanche.
Need to go there once again!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks