Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 07:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Our first stop was the Rose Garden. There was an explosion of colours inside the garden! Let's go inside. Entry is FREE for my readers!!!
Thats a wonderful collage of pictures. But i wonder why the name Rose Garden?

And by the way no boating activity in the lake?
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 15:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow! The lake really looks like Avalanche.
Need to go there once again!
Yes, Ampere, the resemblance was striking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thats a wonderful collage of pictures. But i wonder why the name Rose Garden?
And by the way no boating activity in the lake?
Thanks Amit. The garden was supposed to have lots and lots of varieties of roses. But we couldn't find a single flower!!!

Boating in Mattupetty and at Echo point was suspended because of the monsoon season! They might restart it in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Wow CN bhai, that was a riot of colours !

I bow a hundred times for your humble intention of bringing so much detail for your readers. Yes, the narration and photographs itself stands out in this travelogue. But i doubt if we could find so much detail anywhere else. Its like we have been treated to a spectacle.

Thank you.

We're on board.. please drive on.
Thank you, Rao Saab. I am happy that my travelogue and pics are being appreciated by all!
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 16:11   #93
BHPian

Dear Chevy Lover,

I have one of my dear friends from that place and incidentally he too got married and baptised (in reverse chronological order - of course ;P), from the same church.
I had been there for his marriage and YES... the ambience,infrastructure and the architecture of the church leaves one breathless.

A big thumbs up for taking this journey, I have been planning for long but was not sure about whether it would be worth it, especially with a 2 year old child.
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 17:01   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post
Dear Chevy Lover,

I have one of my dear friends from that place and incidentally he too got married and baptised (in reverse chronological order - of course ;P), from the same church.
I had been there for his marriage and YES... the ambience,infrastructure and the architecture of the church leaves one breathless.

A big thumbs up for taking this journey, I have been planning for long but was not sure about whether it would be worth it, especially with a 2 year old child.
Don't keep on thinking, dear Sandip, just take the plunge and drive! But if you're driving with your young angel, plan for lots of breaks and take it easy on the highway!

The church is indeed stunning. I am glad you could experience its grandeur!!!
Old 8th September 2011, 21:22   #95
BHPian

Hi CL,

Just finished reading your log, as usual its an excellent one with your style of narration (some cool punch dialogues wherever needed). What I like is that you wont rush to complete the tour places (as most of other people do) , you take ample rest, get adjusted and then cover the places peacefully.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
sriswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 00:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, Srini. Nice to know that you liked my log. Munnar was superb during our visit. It was green everywhere.

Yes, we take enough time to take rest and recharge ourselves. That way, we are always filled with enthusiasm.
Do stay tuned for more of the incredibly beautiful Munnar!
Old 9th September 2011, 22:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Kundala Lake!

The next point we visited was the beautiful Kundala lake and dam.

Kundala is about 28 kilometres away from Munnar town. Kundala is 5940 feet above sea level and the Kundala Arch Dam is the first arch dam in Asia!

The beautiful lake!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-kundala_lake.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-kundala_lake.jpg

Water being released from the arch dam.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-kundala_dam.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-kundala_dam.jpg

Great view of the dense forests and the hills!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-great_view.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-mountains_surrounding_the_lake.jpg

Boating in the lake!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-kundala_lake_boating.jpg

Way to the lakeside!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-kundala_lake.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-kundala_lake.jpg

My wife is happy! She protected me from the showers!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-my_wife_is_happy.jpg

The Dam

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-kundala_dam.jpg

A Shikara!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-kundala_lake_shikara.jpg

Beautiful carrots! They were very tasty!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-beautiful_carrots.jpg

Ancient way of cooking corn!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-corn_maker.jpg

Carrots!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-carrots_are_extremely_fresh.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-carrots.jpg

Lake side!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-kundala_lake_side.jpg

This poor guy was famished! He was so happy when my wife offered him some of the carrots, we had with us!

His eyes literally popped out!!!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-this_guy_was_famished.jpg

Chomping the tasty treat

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-chomping_away.jpg

Sharing with his friend

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-22-sharing_with_his_friend.jpg

Can I be your friend???

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-23-can_i_be_your_friend.jpg

Friends for life!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-24-friends_forever.jpg
Old 10th September 2011, 06:03   #98
Senior - BHPian

The Velankanni pictures were so welcome. I wanted to be there in August but could not go, thanks for the mini pilgrimage
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 18:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

A Pano and some night shots...!

We returned back to the town after visiting Kundala lake. A continuous drizzle forced us to cancel our trip to the last point, Top Slip.

A pano shot from Kundala!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano.jpg

We had an early supper from a hotel inside the market and returned back to our hotel!

I took some night shots from our balcony. These shots were taken without my tripod. I was too lazy to go out to my car to fetch it. I balanced my camera on the railings and captured these snaps.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-munnar_town_at_night.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-munnar_town_at_night.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-munnar_town_at_night.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-munnar_town_at_night.jpg

Suddenly, the town was covered by mist! It was a superb sight!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-munnar_town_at_night-covered_in_mist.jpg
Old 10th September 2011, 23:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The Velankanni pictures were so welcome. I wanted to be there in August but could not go, thanks for the mini pilgrimage
Thanks TheArun. Velankanni is our favourite pilgrim centre. If the authorities build a 4 laned highway to bypass the last 90 odd kilometres through villages, the drive surely would be a pleasure!
Old 11th September 2011, 23:48   #101
Senior - BHPian

Dear Chevy Lover,
Your travelogue inspired me to partake a trip to Munnar to retrace a nostalgic trip down memory lane to this wonderful place where I did three years of my schooling. In spite of the heavy downpour we ventured to Munnar without any hotel bookings on these Onam holidays. I just returned from my 32 hour trip.
Thanks, CL,
Rajeev
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 00:01   #102
Senior - BHPian

A thrilling bus journey to Adimali!

Day 23

We woke up by 7 am on day 23 of our incredible holiday. We went to a hotel near the bridge and had tasty Appams and Egg curry. It was one of the most tasty breakfasts we had had in a long time.

We had decided to do a bus trip that day. We were adamant that we should let Chevy rest and see Munnar like a typical backpacking tourist. I wanted my wife to experience what I did in 1996, during my trip alone, to the mountains.

We went to the bus stand and got inside a private bus, by the name St. John, to travel to Adimali. Adimali is a town at the base of the hills and it is just 30 kilometres away from Munnar.

We were lucky as we got seats right near the driver.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

The bus started after a short halt of about 10 minutes at the bus stop. We were happy that the bus finally started, without much delay. It was the first time we actually travelled in a bus in almost two years. The last time we travelled in a bus was from Coonoor to Ooty in an ultra deluxe TN bus.

Kannan Devan Office!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

The road was very good!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Hotel Bellmount.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Shortly after exiting the town limits, we passed through a lot of gorgeous tea estates!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A beautiful tea factory!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

The estates were so picturesque!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Nest Resorts! Anyone stayed there??

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A small scale trader! He is advertising that he will buy ginger, cocoa, coffee and elaichi. These traders usually buy produce from small scale farmers and sell it at a profit!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Cages for hens being built. Carpenters are fast becoming extinct in cities. We felt good seeing that all is well in villages!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A brand new bungalow being readied for house warming!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Our bus driver was an expert. Look at the ease with which he is handling the hairpin curves!!! Made my eye pop out!!! Controlling a huge bus with one hand!! My God!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Fresh fish being sold to customers. I heard that fresh fish is brought to the hills from Cochin everyday! The customers were very keen to get the biggest of the lot. I think I heard the vendor shout Rs. 300 per kg!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Beautiful winding road! And what a way to answer a phone call!!! This guy stopped right in the middle of the road at first and moved away only when our driver honked!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A modified jeep! It has a fancy number too! A certain Shah Rukh has a similar number!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Kumban Para! Fathima Matha church!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A fruit and vegetable stall! Never ever seen cabbages and curry leaves being sold like fruits!!!

I can also see tapioca on the ground. Boiled tapioca and fish curry is a super tasty delicacy in Kerala!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-22-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A huge mountain and a house right at its foot!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-23-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A bird house! A kind-hearted soul has made a bird house and installed it near the highway. The pigeons were very well fed!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-24-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

We entered Adimali town after a superb one hour drive!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-25-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

Bus stand at Adimali.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-26-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

We got down from the private bus and got into a KSRTC bus back to Munnar. I wanted to experience the driving of KSRTC drivers too! I felt bad seeing the bus's steering. When we drive in so much comfort, with power steering and power brakes, the drivers, who are responsible for hundreds of lives, are made to wrestle with ancient steering systems!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-27-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg

A self portrait to remind us of the thrilling journey we just undertook!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-28-munnar_adimali_journey.jpg
Old 12th September 2011, 16:18   #103
Senior - BHPian

Mesmerising travelogue! I was feeling sleepy after lunch, when I chanced to come across this thread.

It's held me captivated for the past 2 hours. I am re-living my summer trip to Munnar, though it looks a lot more beautiful in monsoon.

So am I right in inferring that you took a bus ride to Adimali just to enjoy the scenery? If so, that is a novel way of sight-seeing. Gonna add it to my wish list.

Please continue.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 16:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thrilling bus journey to Adimali!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
1. A beautiful tea factory!

2. Our bus driver was an expert. Look at the ease with which he is handling the hairpin curves!!! Made my eye pop out!!! Controlling a huge bus with one hand!! My God!
1. Did you also visit the Tea Factory or only passed by it?

2. You should have told the bus driver that he would get figured in T-BHP under the Bad Drivers thread. But seriously all the bus drivers, cab drivers who drive on these routes on a everyday basis sometimes get carried away because of the familiarity of the route and safety takes a back seat.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 17:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
1. Did you also visit the Tea Factory or only passed by it?

2. You should have told the bus driver that he would get figured in T-BHP under the Bad Drivers thread. But seriously all the bus drivers, cab drivers who drive on these routes on a everyday basis sometimes get carried away because of the familiarity of the route and safety takes a back seat.
We passed by the factory. It was located on top of a hill and the only way to reach it was by foot or by jeep. We didn't have that much time in our hands.

The bus driver was really an expert. He did not over speed or do any crazy stunts. I think he was supporting himself with one hand on the window, when he drove down a hairpin curve. But he gave me a scare!

The first time I visited Munnar, I went there in a private bus from Kumily. I got friendly with the bus driver and we had a good conversation. Two days later, I decided to return back in the same bus. When I saw the bus that day, the front left part of the bus, near the headlight was completely destroyed. On enquiry, the driver told me that his steering did not recoil after a hairpin curve and he drove straight into a huge rock.

So you are right, Amit. The drivers do get carried away and take everything for granted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Dear Chevy Lover,
Your travelogue inspired me to partake a trip to Munnar to retrace a nostalgic trip down memory lane to this wonderful place where I did three years of my schooling. In spite of the heavy downpour we ventured to Munnar without any hotel bookings on these Onam holidays. I just returned from my 32 hour trip.
Thanks, CL,
Rajeev
That's great news, Rajeev. I hope to see a travelogue from you, buddy! Go for it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Mesmerising travelogue! I was feeling sleepy after lunch, when I chanced to come across this thread.

It's held me captivated for the past 2 hours. I am re-living my summer trip to Munnar, though it looks a lot more beautiful in monsoon.

So am I right in inferring that you took a bus ride to Adimali just to enjoy the scenery? If so, that is a novel way of sight-seeing. Gonna add it to my wish list.

Please continue.
Thanks vnabhi. We did the bus trip just to enjoy the natural beauty of Munnar and Adimali.

There is much more to come. do stay tuned!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks