Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 14:38   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r

October 27th: Goa

The Stay on 27th:

We had reached Goa (Baga Beach) by about 12:30AM the last night. There is one Joanita Aunty, who somehow always manages to spare us one room or the other.

Joanita's
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-65.jpg

The rooms are really good, and she is pretty economical too. For three of us, the charge was 900 per day (300 each). The bathrooms are clean and neat. They provide tea, coffee and some light breakfast too. The best part of Joanita's (for us) is that, the room is just 50 meters from Baga Beach, near Tito's.

The coffee:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-66.jpg

The rooms are spacious and feel good.

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-69.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-70.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-68.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-67.jpg

P.S: No TV and No AC.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 15:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r

October 27th (Goa)

The plan for the day:

Morning: Visit Chapora Fort.

After Noon: Visit any other nearby places near Baga.

By evening: Come back to Baga beach, and spend time in the Beach.

Night: Move towards Vasco.

As usual, like it happens in 99% of our trips, we get up @10, and its about 11 by the time we get ready. We have a good coffee and an egg sandwich from Joanita aunty and leave towards the First target for the day - Chapora Fort. Google has pretty well covered all the roads in Goa, and just with a mobile GPS, anyone can roam around in Goa, without seeking help of by-standers.

Now, why we choose Chapora fort is actually a silly fact. Many had advices that there is nothing worth seeing in the Fort, but the beaches were OK, but still we chose to spend time in the fort because: My friend needed to sit at the same place Amir had sat in Dil Chahta Hai, and take a photo.

Also.. we were low on Diesel, and needed to tank up. Now, one strange fact I found about Goa in my visits there is.. almost all pumps are short of diesel in the morning, and late night. Not sure why, but the pumps in Panaji and Mapusa were short in diesel. The Panaji one was short even the next day. Hmmm..... We somehow wait and tank up from Panaji, and move towards Chapora along the NH.

On the way, we were on the lookout for an ATM to get some loose cash, and look what we found!!.. . We jump in take cash, jump out, and spent 5 minutes admiring the engineer who built this!!.. wow!!..

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-71.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 04:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
On the way, we were on the lookout for an ATM to get some loose cash, and look what we found!!.. . We jump in take cash, jump out, and spent 5 minutes admiring the engineer who built this!!.. wow!!..

Attachment 841099
What was the engineer thinking!!!???!!! That was the pic of the day for me. Am going to save it on my PC where I keep funny pics.

BTW, nice travelogue. Relaxed, humorous and intriguing at the same time.
Dr.Sav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 13:31   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

On our way towards Chapora fort:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-72.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-73.jpg

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-74.jpg

For a layman, there is nothing eye catching in the Chapora fort, except may be the view of the beaches, or the relaxing mood. May be because of this non-exciting character of the Fort, my friend who was so adamant in taking pictures from the Fort, completely forgot the matter!

But, historically, there is much importance for the Chapora Fort: Chapora Fort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At Chapora Fort:

How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-75.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-76.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-77.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-78.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-79.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-80.jpg
Old 14th November 2011, 13:53   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

After spending about an hour in Chapora Fort, and visiting a beach there, we return to Joanita's @Baga Beach. On the way, we have food from a nice Vegetarian hotel. South Indian Thaali cost us 70 bucks for a person. The bathrooms were clean. Well, we didn't trust the drinking water there and bought a couple of bottles of Mineral Water.

We reach our rooms by about 3:30PM. Spend some time on the streets near our room (near Tito's) get a couple of shorts and t-shirts, do some light shopping etc.. After which, at about 5:00PM we move towards Baga Beach.

Baga Beach:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-81.jpg
Old 14th November 2011, 17:20   #51
BANNED

Dhanush --- is this the same beach which is also called as Bhghatoor beach ?? ( near Mhapusa )

Sudarshan
Old 14th November 2011, 20:37   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Dhanush --- is this the same beach which is also called as Bhghatoor beach ?? ( near Mhapusa )
Sudarshan JEE, the beach shown in the 1st pics (post) is:
Name:  Beach 1.png
Views: 1921
Size:  165.6 KB

The Beach shown in the 2nd post is:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-beach-2.png

I'm not sure if there are any local names for these beaches.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 20:51   #53
BHPian

Excellent travelogue Dhanush. Enjoying every piece of your journey.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
What was the engineer thinking!!!???!!! That was the pic of the day for me. Am going to save it on my PC where I keep funny pics.

BTW, nice travelogue. Relaxed, humorous and intriguing at the same time.

This looks like a fix for a flooding problem.
Looks like the ATM place is in a low lying area and gets flooded in rains and hence to prevent water from entering, they have built a small retaining wall. I have seen the same at Nirmal Lifestyle Mall at Mulund, Mumbai too. The only diff is that at Nirmal Mall, they have steps so that you can climb to the wall level and the climb down to the store level.

Last edited by f1fan : 14th November 2011 at 21:19.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 21:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that's a cool one !! Am sure this is one journey you will cherish for EVER! Congrats on the trip and good pics. Keep it coming !

Hey, you should have asked me for home-stay details in Goa - could have parted with the details of a nice place called Martin's guest house near Subway. Baga beach is walkable distance from there too. He charges like 800/- for 3 people, with A/C & TV

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th November 2011 at 21:49.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 22:02   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Now that's a cool one !! Am sure this is one journey you will cherish for EVER! Congrats on the trip and good pics.
Thanks mate!
Quote:
Hey, you should have asked me for home-stay details in Goa - could have parted with the details of a nice place called Martin's guest house near Subway. Baga beach is walkable distance from there too. He charges like 800/- for 3 people, with A/C & TV
Oh.. Oh.. 800 for 3 with AC?. Well, that sounds very reasonable. Next time, you can expect a call from me, for sure!.

btw, we had bookings @ Hotel La Paz Gardens, on 27th night, so.. we looked at Joanita's just as a place to crash for one day. No work, nothing. Just strike a day out.. you know.. I cant really divulge the happenings of 26th night, here. . So, we weren't really bothered about the cost, just needed a good place. And, I've been there before, and been through the same nights. Hence, went for it.
Old 15th November 2011, 01:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

Sudarshan
No, the beaches are not the same. I've visited all the following beaches spanning throughout my life. Some of these are not worth visiting, some small and some are private now.

The beaches of North-Goa (right from the north to the southern tip of North-Goa) are as follows:

Querim Beach.
Sweet Lake Beach.
Harmal Beach.
Mandrem Beach.
Ashvem Beach.
Morjim Beach.

After the creek:
Chapora Beach.
Vagator Beach. - (Perhaps the one you were asking for)
Vozren Beach.
Anjuna Beach.

After Baga creek:
Baga Beach. - (The one Dhanush is speaking about)
Calangute Beach.
Candolim Beach.
Sinquerim Beach.
Fort Aguada Waterfront.
Cocoa Beach.

After Mandovi River:
Mandovi Waterfront.
Miramar Beach.
Caranzalem Beach.
Marvel Beach.
Prainha Beach.
Dona Paula Waterfront.
Vanguinim Beach.
Bambolim Beach.
Siridao Beach.

Then come the central and South-Goa Beaches. Hope this helps.
Dr.Sav is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 13:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for not updating earlier, was really caught up in between work and family. My sisters baby girl is getting baptized this Saturday.

October 27th, Goa:

OK, so by about 5:00 we move on to Baga beach with our stomachs and minds filled with food and excitement.

Baga Beach, is said to be one of the most crowded and good beaches in Goa. It is well guarded and there are coast guards watching you, almost everywhere. In Baga Beach, you get the opportunity for some light adventure water sports, like water scooter, taking you by parachute to the sea etc.. Also, along the beachside, there are many sea facing restaurants which serve some delicious sea food.

We relaxingly walk from one side to the other side of the beach, and silently watch the happenings. I think its always crowded in the beach. It was so full of energy, with families, couples, bachelors all enjoying themselves.

They take you into the sea, in a parachute. Its fun!!.. but they charge 1000 bucks for this, which I think is a bit too much
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-82.jpg

The sea - always a sight:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-83.jpg

The Sunset @ Baga:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-84.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited. Mention of alcohol is strictly prohibited on team-bhp. Please read the board rules before posting further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th November 2011 at 11:41.
Old 16th November 2011, 14:11   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

After spending a couple of entertaining hours in Baga Beach and having some really good sea food (A strange fact: I don't have sea food, from the time I remember) we leave to Vasco. We have some business to take care of.

Nothing eventful happens in between, except for a strange purchase my friend made. On our way back, we stop at an ATM to get some cash and also to buy some water and cigarettes. Well, my friend who was waiting for us in the Jeep, saw a local girl (aged about ~15-16) crying along the road side. He usually doesn't bother, but this time he feels sad for the girl, and even went ahead and asked, what the problem was. The girl wipes her face, and gives out a smile.. and.. starts sobbing again!. In between sobs, she tells Anjith that she hasn't been able to sell well.. and... sobs again..

Incidentally, the girl sells some nitty gritty items for women, like bangles, chain, rings, etc.. Anjith feels soo sad for the girl, and gives her some really good business. Now.. we aren't still sure that if the girl was genuine or not, buuutttttt..... who cares?... Anjith was happy, like he has done his first good deed in the last 5 years!!..

We proceed towards Hotel La Paz Gardens, Vasco da Gama.

Last edited by dhanushs : 16th November 2011 at 14:13.
Old 16th November 2011, 14:28   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

We check in @ La Paz, and order some food (for me), and decide to call it a day. We have some important things to take care tomorrow, and if possible, we plan to leave Goa, to Mangalore tomorrow itself.

With the Jeep performing superbly, what else do we need, eh?

@ Hotel La Paz Gardens:
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-85.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-86.jpg

Confused about What Food!!.. Well, it almost always is like this.
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-87.jpg
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-88.jpg

Now, I have done a good deed for the day, and yes, I'm proud of it!!.. lol!
How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r-89.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2011 at 14:32. Reason: Please refer to rule #11. Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 15:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a local girl (aged about ~15-16) crying along the road side. The girl wipes her face, and gives out a smile.. and.. starts sobbing again!. In between sobs, she tells Anjith that she hasn't been able to sell well.. and... sobs again..

Incidentally, the girl sells some nitty gritty items for women, like bangles, chain, rings, etc..
Its goan marketing technique!!!

I was at baga on 5th nov and saw lot of girls selling girly stuff.
They will chase you to purchase those items with long girly ''pleaaaasssse''.
Wife could not resist those long girly ''pleaaaaaasse'' and ended evaporating Rs 300 only.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks