Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 15:10   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 18 Passes, 15 lakes and 2 breakdowns : Ladakh and Lahaul call again

Thank god I can now go to bed at night without checking first if Tanveer has updated anything. Of course will read this again and savour the pics.

Lovely.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:24   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
First our trip log. Not very detailed, but gives you a fair idea about speeds and distances
Attachment 1045388
Thanks for the trip log Tanveer, but can I have it in higer resolution - It's barely redeable even with my specs on (guess, I'm being greedy here, or at least it's time for my yearly eye check up!).

Thanks for completing the travelogue, at least I now know I don't have to check it again and again to see updates. Would you believe that when I pointed my co-conspirators of failed Laddakh mission to this travelogue, they kind of started beating the hell out of me stating that either we should go there this year or else I should not show them these pics!
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:29   #273
BHPian

Thanks for bringing this wonderful travelogue. Mind blowing pics as well. I want to request you one more thing as a part of your final log. Would it be possible to mark all the lakes on the map? The popular ones are easy to find - Pangong, Tso moriri, chander tal. But there are a whole lot of others whose names I hadnt heard before.
flycatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:33   #274
BHPian

Enjoyed every bit of it Tanveer. Wonderful log and photos
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 11:30   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Thanks for the trip log Tanveer, but can I have it in higer resolution - It's barely redeable even with my specs on (guess, I'm being greedy here, or at least it's time for my yearly eye check up!).

Thanks for completing the travelogue, at least I now know I don't have to check it again and again to see updates. Would you believe that when I pointed my co-conspirators of failed Laddakh mission to this travelogue, they kind of started beating the hell out of me stating that either we should go there this year or else I should not show them these pics!
I updated the post with a better pic of the log
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Thanks for bringing this wonderful travelogue. Mind blowing pics as well. I want to request you one more thing as a part of your final log. Would it be possible to mark all the lakes on the map? The popular ones are easy to find - Pangong, Tso moriri, chander tal. But there are a whole lot of others whose names I hadnt heard before.
Will do it and then upload. Will mark all the lakes on the map
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 11:54   #276
BHPian

As felt by many fellow BHPians who have read this log, I too cant stop thanking you from the bottom of my heart for making this travelogue so detailed. Its a virtual trip along with you. I wish there should be an option to get a PDF of a thread.

Truly said, now words to express the Gratitude!!
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 12:18   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I updated the post with a better pic of the log
See what wonders higher resolutions can do. I noticed that you started from Noida! I too am based at Noida (Sec 52) and it would be good to catch up sometime
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 12:35   #278

Very happy to go through your incredible journey and great photos. Thanks sooo... much.
It is really a treat to us.

Dkr
Zen dkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 13:40   #279

Hi Tanveer, the only thing that I can say is wow. I started reading the TL yesterday and very quickly i realized that I am actually travelling with you.

]I didn’t want to be selfish and wanted my wife to see the spectacle along with me. We both instantly decided that we have to go, but with three small kids it has to wait. But thank you for such an amazing journey. You guys are an awesome couple. Take care and god bless.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st February 2013 at 14:12.
VBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 19:21   #280
BHPian

Thanks a lot TSK for the travelogue. Certainly one of THE best narrations and photographs for a ladakh travelogue!

I am planning for a manali- leh- srinagar trip in june. Would like to have heads-up for a reliable car hire services between these routes if there are any such service available there.

Thanks a lot!
rahulk2510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 21:33   #281
BHPian

Hi Tanveer, is it possible to do Kargil > Drang Drung Glacier > Kargil in a day starting at say 6am from Kargil with very limited stops on the way & say 1 hr stay at the Glacier???

We are 2 families with kids, planning to see the Glacier in June & with limited options of stay at Rangdum & Padum we would prefer to do round trip from Kargil, if possible.

Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 11:10   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Thanks a lot TSK for the travelogue. Certainly one of THE best narrations and photographs for a ladakh travelogue!

I am planning for a manali- leh- srinagar trip in june. Would like to have heads-up for a reliable car hire services between these routes if there are any such service available there.

Thanks a lot!
Nothing is available. Only thing serviceable is Maruti, as there is a workshop in Keylong. Gypsy is fully repairable at any army workshop. and there are multiple BRO/Army camps on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Hi Tanveer, is it possible to do Kargil > Drang Drung Glacier > Kargil in a day starting at say 6am from Kargil with very limited stops on the way & say 1 hr stay at the Glacier???

We are 2 families with kids, planning to see the Glacier in June & with limited options of stay at Rangdum & Padum we would prefer to do round trip from Kargil, if possible.

Thanks
Even if you do not stop much its a minimum 7 hour run to Drang Drung glacier.
You can do Kargil-Durang Drung- Rangdum or atmost till Panikhar (1.5 hours from Kargil)
You can do this
1. Sonmarg - Panikhar - Place to stay there
2. Panikhar - Durang Durung - Panikhar = 12 hours
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:00   #283
BHPian

It was a virtual reality show for me while reading your travelogue. The pictures are stunning. Hats off to your courage i venturing into the unforgiving terrain with your plan, but I guess that's what made it more thrilling.
ameet_pv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:03   #284
BHPian

Thanks for your guidance Tanveer. In your Post #3, pic -01, i could see that you are carrying one spare tyre with your luggage apart from the regular stepny that i see in other pics. Have you ever considered using Liquid Tyre Sealants? I need some recommendations on tyre Sealants. Please let me know if you have any..

Last year i got a nasty tyre (sidewall) burst near Keylong and had to terminate my onward journey towards Leh in absence of any spare tyre.

Tyre burst is a separate issue but i was wondering if any effective tyre sealant can be used in case of mild punctures - they seem to keep you going and are like spare tyre!!!

Any recommendations?

Thanks..
Devrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:21   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Thanks for your guidance Tanveer. In your Post #3, pic -01, i could see that you are carrying one spare tyre with your luggage apart from the regular stepny that i see in other pics. Have you ever considered using Liquid Tyre Sealants? I need some recommendations on tyre Sealants. Please let me know if you have any..

Last year i got a nasty tyre (sidewall) burst near Keylong and had to terminate my onward journey towards Leh in absence of any spare tyre.

Tyre burst is a separate issue but i was wondering if any effective tyre sealant can be used in case of mild punctures - they seem to keep you going and are like spare tyre!!!

Any recommendations?

Thanks..
I used to use Slime. But somehow, there was problem in balancing the tires.
Since it protected only against smaller punctures(I once had a nail in one tire for a few months), I decided to forgo it.
On our entire trip we did not have a single flat. Slime of course helps against smaller nails and stuff, but the balancing headache is the reason I stopped using slime.
One thing to note here, is that for 6-10 months after putting in slime, I could get wheel balancing done without issues, but once it got a year old, wheel balancing became an issue.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed