Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 15:04   #196
BHPian

Re: Going solo at 5 kmph - Mumbai to Goa in an inflatable kayak!

Mother of all TLs! Kamen_rider, really appreciate your courage to do such a feat. Agree with rajwheelz about police. Really appreciate that they are taking things seriously, specially the coast guard helicopter scene.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:04   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post

On the other hand, I honestly say, it is definitely a warm reassurance to the people of India that coast guards and policemen do take their job seriously.!
Very reassuring indeed that in your own country which is supposedly a democratic country you are harassed and detained for not doing anything illegal.
What next, police detaining people trekking because they could be terrorists? Or police detaining those driving at night because potentially they can be criminals...?
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:09   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Very reassuring indeed that in your own country which is supposedly a democratic country you are harassed and detained for not doing anything illegal.
What next, police detaining people trekking because they could be terrorists? Or police detaining those driving at night because potentially they can be criminals...?
I see your point.

Though it is reassuring that police were diligent, they could have been more considerate.

Lack of training, perhaps. Also, lack of motivation.

P.S - Kamen, faster updates please.
Old 29th April 2013, 19:36   #199
BHPian

Well, I would reserve my judgement on whether the police (and other authorities?) did a decent job while handling your case till I read what happened the next day.

At the outset, I feel the Police did its job well. The police did arrange for the night accommodation, dinner and the SHO was also quite courteous in dealing with Kamen Rider. However, what happened the next day still needs to be seen.

We have to accept that in order to secure our borders and coastline (especially in times like this), we as citizens also have to endure and go through some inconvenience by way of frequent checks and answer some questions. The key lies in the way the authorities handle the way these checks are carried out.

Anyway, We eagerly await the conclusion to the police saga.

Cummon Kamen Rider, FASTER UPDATES!!!
Old 29th April 2013, 22:46   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I see your point.

Though it is reassuring that police were diligent, they could have been more considerate.

Lack of training, perhaps. Also, lack of motivation.

P.S - Kamen, faster updates please.
Or actually working towards their promotions. I seriously think that these guys tend to go overboard with ordinary folks specially most of the times with those who seem to be financially well placed. In the end either it might end up with some bribes being exchanged and/or voluminous and verbose reports filed showing how diligently they went about their job so they may be please considered for a promotion or a better (read profitable) posting. Time and again I have heard about highway travelers specially from a different state being subjected to checks which border on harassment. Law enforcement has become some kind of a joke in our nation. Anyway that would be an OT discussion.

Kamen, hopefully you came through fine in the end. Have been patiently waiting for the thriller to unfold quickly now .

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 29th April 2013 at 22:48.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 11:29   #201
BHPian

The police 'tried' to do their job here. Just because they didnt understand what was going on, they didnt let go (like the port/customs) And in the entire process they were apparently civil about it.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:39   #202
BHPian

I feel like a school kid learning about somethings which I was always curious about but never understood how it happened. Through your posts, I am not only learning so much about Kayaking, but also about how to handle various situations as you have described. I really liked the way you responded to the port guy about the permission thing
Your encounter with the local police is really an eye opener. You mention that anything UNUSUAL is ILLEGAL ..but I would say, anything that the police do not UNDERSTAND is termed ILLEGAL. But, yeah, as the station in-charge said, these are difficult times and they need to be careful. I guess this is the best in the larger interests of our security.
Keep posting Kamen ... this is getting very interesting.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 14:51   #203
BHPian

You know this reminds me of a situation in Mcleodganj last year when I was there. There was a massive hue and cry when the HP police said they have caught Chinese spies in Mcleodganj posing as tourists.

Turns out that they were Chinese alright - from the Republic of China, more popularly known as Taiwan; rather than from the People's Republic of China. The cops saw the passport, read China, and thought they had a catch. Imagine the harrassment for those 8-10 people in a country where no one knows your language, are published in the papers and you are suspected to be enemy (who is also your enemy).

Suspicion when there is no suspicious activity is wrong, and is harassment. Kudos to Kamen_Rider to have kept his cool - I would have by then been shouting aloud for SP to show up.

Hope everything goes well the next day.

Last edited by manolin : 30th April 2013 at 14:53.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 23:14   #204
BHPian

I think the cops were just doing their job. I remember when i was in US and was taking snaps on my new camera to test it. I was doing this in a tourist spot. Some people were just paranoid and called 911. Police came and questioned me for about 30 mins with their guns almost pulled out.

i think we should just appreciate the job these cops did instead of feeling that the common man is being harassed.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:21   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post
I think the cops were just doing their job. I remember when i was in US and was taking snaps on my new camera to test it. I was doing this in a tourist spot. Some people were just paranoid and called 911. Police came and questioned me for about 30 mins with their guns almost pulled out.

i think we should just appreciate the job these cops did instead of feeling that the common man is being harassed.
LOL. So now harrassing people even after the customs authorities and port authorities have verified papers is police's job? Strange!
And guns were pulled on you for taking pictures in a tourist spot. Well in that case it was well deserved. I have never seen anybody take pictures at a tourist spot. You did something very dangerous and unusual
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 00:18   #206
BHPian

Every time I open this thread and there is no update, I mutter a few swear words.
But, gotta say it dude.. the wait is so much worth it. And your writing is beautiful. That takes time, I understand. But I don't understand.
Please reduce the "hang in between" time periods for us. :-)
Great adventure.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 01:05   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Some people were just paranoid and called 911. Police came and questioned me for about 30 mins with their guns almost pulled out.

I can only echo Tanveer, and recommend you read/watch this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...eo?INTCMP=SRCH

If you are not English speaking, suavely turned out, Indian police is generally as bad.
Old 1st May 2013, 21:24   #208
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry I agree with Tanveer too. Seriously if you were taking pictures in a tourist spot and some folks called 911 resulting in cops pointing guns at you the whole bunch were being just absolute jerks. I mean how long ago was this? Just after Sept 11, 2011? I have traveled quite a lot in the US and some of the Americans can be really irritating in their ways to the point of being racist. Here the cops should have tried to find out who made the call and what was the reason for their suspicion about you capturing pictures in a tourist spot. There is no point praising them for acting the goat.
Old 1st May 2013, 21:42   #209
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Kamen_rider, Public holiday today!

(Any chance of publishing another episode?)
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:04   #210
BHPian

Great travelogue kamen_rider! Glued to this thread, can't wait for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Kamen_rider, Public holiday today!

(Any chance of publishing another episode?)
I guess the public holiday was only for MH because 1st may is Maharashtra day!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks