Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 11:45   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Going solo at 5 kmph - Mumbai to Goa in an inflatable kayak!

I deliberately checked this thread after 2-3 weeks and all you have updated is 3 pages. Slow BUT I am not complaining. I am just eager to read the entire episode.

You are my friend a true adventurer by heart.

You could nail the Roadies Audition and Give raghu a run for his money. He would wet his pants interviewing you.

Had this thread been made 2 years back and had Ang Lee read this I am sure he would have cast you as his Pi Patel and not that DU lad.

You have a charming way of penning down your thoughts - one that comes from your heart. There are very few people who write like this and I am glad to have stumbled upon this lovely little adventure of yours.

I had a close friend Sam Kapasi who you may have heard of here at Team BHP who unfortunately passed away in a road crash last year. His travelogues were excellent and were a delight to read. I dont know if you would do further travelogues BUT if you do you can be certain of a lot of people following you here.

I can see you being thanked 500 times for 50 posts. That is nothing short of an achievement.

PS - Have you read PAPILLON ? Its my favourite novel. Read it. You will love it.
vkochar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:53   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
Ha ha, thanks... You should try the 'real' offshoring sometimes, it is an experience to be cherished!
Sure buddy. The day you started this log, this task has beed appended to my long 'To-do'. Eventhough the long circuit like yours is not possible, will definitely try to paddle around for a day and experince the 'real' offshoring.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 13:06   #168
Senior - BHPian

Just read through in one sitting. Would be great if I did the small trip to St Mary's Island. Hope someone starts renting Kayaks over there.

I have done very easy ones (although Canoes) on the small rivers and streams in Illinois, Green River, Utah in U.S and rafting in the Rockies and that was satisfying by itself. This is I know I will never do but what a great experience you would have had !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 13:11   #169
Senior - BHPian

what an amazing feat it was, hats off to you my friend. Words will fall short if ever I try to use them to praise.

Three cheers
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 14:37   #170
BHPian

Not too long ago there lived a certain Yeti amongst us, who had mastered the art of story telling and keep his readers glued...he would have certainly enjoyed this narrative and may have had some nice words for you...

Fantastic stuff!!!keep on coming...

Last edited by nemo : 17th April 2013 at 14:38.
nemo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 10:14   #171
BHPian

Kamen_rider, Being a new member to TBHP ( Was a visitor every day since 2 years ), I am choosing your travelogue to make this first post !.

I am floored i must say with your courage and determination to undertake this. And your narrative with pictures to wash it down, is just awesome.

Keep it coming my friend, keep it coming. Can't wait to see the entire post.
rajwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 14:21   #172
BHPian

Unbelievable! I dont think I can put down the right words to describe this voyage/journey of a lifetime! Rated 5 stars, undoubtedly. Eagerly awaiting the next episode.
venkat_iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 14:49   #173
Senior - BHPian

How i wish that you update the story everyday. Just too curious to know what happens next and read all your exploits. However the wait is worth it. Keep it coming mate. Really awestruck.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 10:04   #174
BHPian

This is the way how one should lead his life!!!

I just wish everyone (including me) realize this and get inspired by reading your fantastic experience. Really envious of you man.

Thanks a ton for making our days interesting through your travelogue. I am sure it will inspire at least a couple of souls to get out there and start living life how it is meant to be lived and enjoyed.

Cheerz Mate and all the best
Sisu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 16:37   #175
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Kamen_rider, from my own experience about penning down travelogues, I have noticed that for churning out a post that covers the action that happened over let's say 8 hours, it takes more than 8 hours! Flitering which photos to include, processing them a bit, weaving a naration around it followed by multiple proof-reading sessions: its time consuming. At the same time, when a post comes out as you expected ..straight from the heart, articulating what you felt at that point as closely as possible, then there is a sense of satisfaction and achievement.

What's your experience?

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2013 at 16:22. Reason: As requested
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 18:18   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Just a question, are you in the Armed Forces?
No saar, I am in the un-armed forces, but a civvy-man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Just one pic to whet your appetite...we had bought these fish off a boat that had just come in to the shore in front of the resort in the morning and Nadeem had it cooked for us
Thanks for sharing the delicious picture (by the way, what happened to the sniffing internet technology which was supposed to catch on?), Nadeem certainly treats his guests well.

Sorry to have missed you by ten days, otherwise that would have been something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
You have a charming way of penning down your thoughts - one that comes from your heart.

I had a close friend Sam Kapasi who you may have heard of here at Team BHP who unfortunately passed away in a road crash last year. His travelogues were excellent and were a delight to read.I dont know if you would do further travelogues BUT if you do you can be certain of a lot of people following you here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Not too long ago there lived a certain Yeti amongst us, who had mastered the art of story telling and keep his readers glued...he would have certainly enjoyed this narrative and may have had some nice words for you...
Thank you Kochar Saheb for the words of appreciation. It's funny, that I have not watch 'Life of PI' yet. But I saw Suraj Sharma being interviewed on TV and I thought he is very mature and humble for his age, wish him success in Hollywood.

I am a big fan of the Yeti blogs, and was very saddened by his passing last year. He had an unique, and unassuming way of story telling which appealed to everyone who chanced upon his blogs. I have not had a chance to read the Papillion (heard about it, though), and would get to it soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nemo, I agree with you, Sam Kapasai was a master of story telling - humor, anecdotes, and day-to-day experiences; so well woven together. I am still trying to catch up on reading all his blogs - a small part of his legacy left behind, to be enjoyed by everyone for a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Just read through in one sitting. Would be great if I did the small trip to St Mary's Island. Hope someone starts renting Kayaks over there.
Thank you! Hope they do someday, and I can give you company

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
what an amazing feat it was, hats off to you my friend. Words will fall short if ever I try to use them to praise.
Thank you Bharat - and I love your recent thread, snow is one thing I love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post
I am choosing your travelogue to make this first post !.

Keep it coming my friend, keep it coming. Can't wait to see the entire post.
I am honored that you chose to post for the first time, here! Keep checking, I won't disappoint you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
Unbelievable! I dont think I can put down the right words to describe this voyage/journey of a lifetime! Rated 5 stars, undoubtedly. Eagerly awaiting the next episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
I just wish everyone (including me) realize this and get inspired by reading your fantastic experience. Really envious of you man.
Thank you, Venkat and Sisu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
How i wish that you update the story everyday. Just too curious to know what happens next and read all your exploits.
Will try my best Desmo! Thanks for hanging in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I have noticed that for churning out a post that covers the action that happened over let's say 8 hours, it takes more than 8 hours! Flitering which photos to include, processing them a bit, weaving a naration around it followed by multiple proof-reading sessions: its time consuming.
So true, SDP. An average post takes me around 8-10 hours to write (with the exception of Day 4, which was done in a hurry and it shows). For every post, I need to go back to that moment, remember the surroundings, feel the wind in my hair and recall every conversation, every sensation, and then try to put it in words. And you're right, proof reading and editing takes a lot of time. For example, my next post (Day 7 part II) has already been written, but it is still first draft and I need to tweak a lot of words and sentences.

Some people can do it very quickly; they can instantly transport themselves into that 'zone' and start typing words immediately. Sadly, I am not one of those people. I take my own time, and I struggle to slip back into that frame of mind. So this leaves out weekdays, because like most working people, I leave home at 7.45am and come back post 8pm, and even on weekends I am booked solid.

It would have been a different matter altogether if writing was all I did 7 days a week, and then I will get conditioned to writing faster.

I can only imagine how long a single team-bhp review takes.

Last edited by Kamen_rider : 21st April 2013 at 18:23.
Kamen_rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 20:54   #177
BHPian

Quote:

It would have been a different matter altogether if writing was all I did 7 days a week, and then I will get conditioned to writing faster.

I can only imagine how long a single team-bhp review takes.
While we truly understand your time issues, but here in Team Bhp, we are an unforgiving lot.
And we seriously don't like selfish people - like those who take weeks of leaves to enjoy themselves in a purely insane manner, but won't even spare the weekend for our enjoyment.

Please, please find some time for us. We are a bunch of greedy people. But story tellers love us. And you too will do once your story finishes and we stop breathing down your neck.

Till that time, sweat it out dude.

PS - all in jest!
sen2009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 16:28   #178
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Epic stuff, Kamen_rider! You've got all of us glued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I have noticed that for churning out a post that covers the action that happened over let's say 8 hours, it takes more than 8 hours!
Drive a car for a day.

Come back.

Spend 7 - 8 days on the Official Review

God is in the detail
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 20:05   #179
BHPian

Re: Day 5: Murud to Shivardhan, tea on high sea, and lovely accommodations for the ni

Quote:

I had to paddle a long distance, so I thanked the magnificent boatmen and exchanged numbers, promising to stay in touch. As a parting gift, they told me to stay clear off the walls of the Murud fort because unseen rocks lurked just below the water, and that might be a danger to my kayak. They pointed at a rock column projecting out of water a few hundred feet away. They said that as long as I went around it, the water would be deep enough, and safe from underwater rocks. With that, I paddled away from the majestic fort and the wonderful seamen. If you visit Murud, and see these gents, just go up to them and talk about the guy (and later Sandy Robson) who had tea with them in their kayaks!

Going solo at 5 kmph - Mumbai to Goa in an inflatable kayak!-boat3.jpg
Kamen_rider, fantastic feat. My hats off to you.

Have been glued to this thread from day 1 and bookmarked if for a following up when time permits. Happened to visit your thread after long time, below post compelled me to post a reply instead of just reading through your fantastic writing.

Guess what? its a really small world. I met these guys on 6th April 2013 and your post came in on 11th April, would have loved to talk to them and understand their view on meeting you with your kayak.

May be next time, when I go to Janjira will show him this thread. These guys operate those ferries at Janjira fort for tourists. The darker guy with black hair is the captain and the older one with white hair is the engine operator
deepaktpatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 20:49   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

What an amazing travelogue. The likes of which were hitherto unseen on TBHP. The spirit, determination and sense of adventure are commendable.

If there was a way to rate this thread >5 stars I'd do it. Thanks so much for sharing this adventure with us.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks