Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 14:45   #76
h14
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

I'm lost for words Sathya! Brillaint write up and lovely pictures. Many congratulations on the mission accomplished. Can't wait to meet you and hear the same stories in person

Please do share the total kilometers clocked and the fuel efficiency figures.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 15:15   #77
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

So well-written, simply had to read your travelogue in a go.
Also, had you not bought the Hawk, would you still have made the trip in your Tjet?

In one of your posts you mentioned about sharing your wife's experiences and perspectives. Am planning on a roadtrip from Bangalore to Rajasthan and back with my wife and kids. Would love to hear how it was to be a co-passenger and any tips she can share.
andyonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 19:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Awesome travelogue Sathya, I know you were almost about to join us and unfortunately we could never meet up in Leh. Next time we should keep in touch in case we are on a road to the same place at the same time Loved the Do's that you have posted, absolutely spot on.
Thanks Motomaverick.

Oh man.. I am actually sad that we didn't meet.

But my wife says she saw your car (white Manza) in Leh. Anyhow, next time, if we know we are going to the same place at the same time, we must plan to meet for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Please do share the total kilometers clocked and the fuel efficiency figures.
Thanks h14. It was 10293kms overall and FE was 12.4km/lt for the round trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Also, had you not bought the Hawk, would you still have made the trip in your Tjet?

In one of your posts you mentioned about sharing your wife's experiences and perspectives. Am planning on a roadtrip from Bangalore to Rajasthan and back with my wife and kids. Would love to hear how it was to be a co-passenger and any tips she can share.

Thanks andyonwheels. Yep, I would have done, but a sedan will not be able to do Hanle via Chushul. Keylong via Polokong La and TSO Kar would also not be possible with a sedan.

But will have definitely done it with other route options - Hanle via Chamathang and would have come back to Leh via Upshi and Karu.Might have avoided Rohtang also.

I am sure, in the slush I encountered in Rohtang (about 2 feet high), my Tjet would have struggled.

By the way, have already started to plan for North East..
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 21:19   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Thanks Motomaverick.

Oh man.. I am actually sad that we didn't meet.

But my wife says she saw your car (white Manza) in Leh. Anyhow, next time, if we know we are going to the same place at the same time, we must plan to meet for sure.

If she saw a dirty white Manza with Got Bhp & Lehd sticker then it is definitely mine. Besides I think there were no other Manza's in Leh city at time

But yes next time on a trip we should meet, its funny we dont want to meet in our home towns. 2014 most probably is Bhutan & NE
Old 20th September 2013, 00:02   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent writeup, Satya_sc.
Even I went through your travelogue in one go, was very engaging with excellent pics. Luved it!

I also, follow your XUV ownership thread and have XUV in my radar as my next ride(provided budget permits).

What is your opinion about 160MM ground clearance of XUV?
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 16:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

What is your opinion about 160MM ground clearance of XUV?
Thanks Arun first of all.

all of this 160mm is just a gimmick. They have added a few spacers in the front engine guard and the lowest point in the car just went further low. Otherwise all other aspects remain the same.

In my perspective, its just a gimmick. You can check with the Service Center if you can remove the spacer which will restore the actual GC!
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 16:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

Lovely travelogue. And congratulations to you and your wife!

Rated 5 stars.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 18:45   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have not driven the AWD version of the XUV, but hearsay is, it does not come with the 4 by 4 low and diff. lock.
Hearsay confirmation:

The AWD version of the XUV does not have a 4L and does not have a diff lock.

In fact, no vehicle below the Land Rovers have front and rear diff locks in India.

The only SUV that has a centre differential lock is the Pajero Sport and its cousin the Montero.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 23:51   #84
AMP

Hey Sathya, This is old friend Gaurav. Excellent travelogue! Wish I could also explore the route to Leh-Ladakh some day but don't have saved that much which can allow me to take my petrol car there

Sid informed me that you reaching to Pune around 4 pm and asked if I am coming to meet you but that was very busy day in office so could not make it.
AMP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 00:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Day 4: 24-08-2013: Chittorgarh to Abohar (Punjab):

We got up by 8am, had our breakfast in the hotel where we stayed. Meanwhile, the Hawk was too dirty and badly needed a shower. Spoke to a few folks in the hotel to give my Hawk a clean wash and paid them Rs.100 each. By 9.30am we were out in the Rajasthan Highway. One word to explain the highway – Awesome. Was doing some good triple digit speeds (cruising). There was sporadic rainfall here and there. This time, the rains were seen like a routine. Looked like, we would have been upset, if there were no rains. One thing that took me by surprise was, Rajasthan was too green than what I had thought. It was just too good and scenic.

By 1PM, we were at the Bathinda highway proceeding towards Kishangarh. By 6PM, I was in Hanumangarh. The actual plan was to halt at Hanumangarh, but both of us felt that we can drive for another 2hrs atleast. So we decided to proceed towards Punjab and stay at Abohar, very close to the Rajasthan – Punjab state borders. We reached Abohar by 8PM, checked in to the hotel, had dinner and went to bed by 10PM. The best part was, for the first time in the last 4 days, we slept early by our standards.
What a travelogue! That's a lifetime experience.

Abohar is my hometown and I lived there for good 25 years. I hope that the town offered all the warmth and welcomed the fellow BHPian with open arms!
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:34   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
In fact, no vehicle below the Land Rovers have front and rear diff locks in India.
The only SUV that has a centre differential lock is the Pajero Sport and its cousin the Montero.
Thanks Devdath. This is an eye opener for me to hear that diff. lock mechanism is only available in a handful of SUVs barring the big ones like Land Rovers etc., I assume - Pajero Sport and (Fortuner??) are the best bets now (am leaving aside Thar and equivalents for the lack of practicality in case I need to use it daily). Let me do my part of homework to identify the best SUV within 25L.

Have 3 yrs for me to change to a rugged off-roader (and highway cruiser). Let us see how the market changes from now till then with Jeeps also entering the arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
What a travelogue! That's a lifetime experience.

Abohar is my hometown and I lived there for good 25 years. I hope that the town offered all the warmth and welcomed the fellow BHPian with open arms!
Thanks Pahwa. Abohar is definitely a beautiful town with greens everywhere. Esp. I cannot forget the drive to and from Abohar for the sheer mesmerizing countryside beauty. Awesome it was.
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:27   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Dev.. Have been reading about offroaders available today in India, from the morning. Looks like T Fort also has centre diff. lock when 4H and 4L are engaged.

The review here in TBHP also confirms that.

Am I missing something? Pls correct me if am wrong.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 22nd September 2013 at 16:29.
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:30   #88
BHPian

Wow .... I am amazed. No words to describe esp me being from Chennai, a fellow chennaite conquering the feet which I have dreamt for so long only draws more inspiration. I being with my little baby Ertiga and 6 pax family cannot even thing about your achievement.

More than anything I salute your wife, her determination in supporting and standing up to all odds is stupendous. Really amazing not everyone can take that stand esp knowing the challenges. I hope your baby Xuv is all fine without any issues after the gruelling journey.

Last edited by shivag : 22nd September 2013 at 21:32.
shivag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 22:55   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Looks like T Fort also has centre diff. lock when 4H and 4L are engaged.
The Fortuner has an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in the centre and NOT a lockable center or front and rear differentials.

Does that clarify?

OT: Hariya has a Mechanically Locking Differential (MLD)
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:56   #90
BHPian

Sathya
Three rousing cheers to you and your wife for going on this mind boggling drive. I have been dreaming about such a drive for a long long time but never got around to doing it. You are my source of inspiration now. Fellow Chennaiite, we salute thee! Please do PM me with your contact number. I would love to meet up with you when I am in Chennai next.
Regards,
Ashok

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks