Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2007, 11:51   #46
BHPian

Great write-up BP. And lovely pics too... just my idea of a perfect trip!!

Will catch up on more anecdotes from ur trip at the next meet... which,btw, is when? (Where's Planet... )
Old 27th August 2007, 14:51   #47
BHPian

Nice crisp writeup and snaps. Myself planning for a same kind of trip Bangalore- Kolkata(bolpur)-Bangalore in near future and at that time your's travelogue will be a great help.
Old 27th August 2007, 16:14   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Will catch up on more anecdotes from ur trip at the next meet... which,btw, is when? (Where's Planet... )
Well, planet is already planning the next meet for you guys. September, Janmashtami time, I guess. He already has a thread running. So check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswajit View Post
Nice crisp writeup and snaps. Myself planning for a same kind of trip Bangalore- Kolkata(bolpur)-Bangalore in near future and at that time your's travelogue will be a great help.
biswajit, check with akroy. He is the man for you... He did a bangalore-kolkata-bangalore trip and his travelogue (Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata) is available for reference.
Old 27th August 2007, 17:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can read my travelogue as Zappo mentioned. I also did Kolkata Suri during that time. That is an excellent stretch as well. So Kolkata-Bolpur is like 2.5 hours dash from Dakshineshwar Bridge.

Abhi
Old 27th August 2007, 17:21   #50
BHPian

BP Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
biswajit, check with akroy. He is the man for you... He did a bangalore-kolkata-bangalore trip and his travelogue (Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata) is available for reference.
I read akroy's thread couple of time. That is definitely one big infobank for the proposed trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
You can read my travelogue as Zappo mentioned. I also did Kolkata Suri during that time. That is an excellent stretch as well. So Kolkata-Bolpur is like 2.5 hours dash from Dakshineshwar Bridge.

Abhi
However I'm thinking not to touch Kolkata but from Kharagpur continue with NH60 till Bishnupur from there with SH to Kaksa(Panagarh)-Ilambazar-Bolpur-My village.
Old 27th August 2007, 18:13   #51
Team-BHP Support

Ummm... biswajit, is this bolpur the same as the one we go through for shantiniketan?
Old 27th August 2007, 18:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Ummm... biswajit, is this bolpur the same as the one we go through for shantiniketan?
Yes, it is. Its called Bolpur-Shantiniketan as well.
Old 27th August 2007, 18:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However I'm thinking not to touch Kolkata but from Kharagpur continue with NH60 till Bishnupur from there with SH to Kaksa(Panagarh)-Ilambazar-Bolpur-My village.
Ya you can do that but make sure you do that in day time... I dont know about the road condition though...
I can only say that DarjeelingMore - Ilambazar - Bolpur is an excellent stretch...

Abhi
Old 27th August 2007, 18:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bolpur is the name of the place. Shantiniketan is the institute which is situated in Bolpur.
Overtime the place is named as "Bolpur Shantiniketan"

Abhi
Old 27th August 2007, 23:30   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ya you can do that but make sure you do that in day time
Abhi
@akroy - why insist on daytime?
Old 28th August 2007, 06:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@akroy - why insist on daytime?
I have heard that is Naxal infested places (it may not be true).. Also lots of lootmaar happens there...Moreover I am not sure about road condition of the deviation from NH60 to Kaksa..

Even if you do Kharagpur - Kolkata BP - Darjeeling More, that will not be that time consuming because of some excellent roads...

Abhi
Old 28th August 2007, 07:58   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Super travelogue: Very very informative and laced with tips on what can go wrong if one gets home at 11pm the night before. Both my wife and me were rolling around after reading your description of the start of your journey!

Hope to read more such travelogues from you!
Old 28th August 2007, 15:24   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have heard that is Naxal infested places (it may not be true).. Also lots of lootmaar happens there...Moreover I am not sure about road condition of the deviation from NH60 to Kaksa..

Even if you do Kharagpur - Kolkata BP - Darjeeling More, that will not be that time consuming because of some excellent roads...

Abhi
The panagarh stretch was supposed to be a notorious place even 6-7 years back but things have improved nowadays. I have travelled through that place quite extensively at night (sometimes even midnight) and nothing has happened yet (touch wood). But the stretch from illambajar to bolpur is not very safe even now and we try to avoid that stretch at night.
Old 28th August 2007, 15:27   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Super travelogue: Very very informative and laced with tips on what can go wrong if one gets home at 11pm the night before. Both my wife and me were rolling around after reading your description of the start of your journey!

Hope to read more such travelogues from you!
Thanks itwasntme. it seems funny now when we think about the incident, but it was very different that night. it seemed as if all the planning of 1 month was going down the drains..
Old 28th August 2007, 16:23   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Abhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The panagarh stretch was supposed to be a notorious place even 6-7 years back but things have improved nowadays. I have travelled through that place quite extensively at night (sometimes even midnight) and nothing has happened yet (touch wood). But the stretch from illambajar to bolpur is not very safe even now and we try to avoid that stretch at night.
Till Illambazar it is fine.I agree with BP, Illambazar- Bolpur is not safe at night (10PM-4AM).
On other note: do anybody know how is the road condition after taking diversion from NH60 (Bishnupur) till Kaksa?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks