Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 17:16   #31

Hi, I'm new here, and this is my first post. I'm actually going to be in Wayanad this weekend. Should be leaving around 6:30am from Bannerghatta road. Plan to stay at Kuruva resort, which I guess is near Pepper Green resort. Has anyone stayed at 'Kuruva resort' or heard any feedback about them? Didn't know about the Pepper Green resort, else would have considered that (maybe next trip, although I can change my plans and check Pepper green for rooms if i hear better reviews about the place).

Regards,
Manoj
Old 30th April 2009, 17:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majju View Post
Has anyone stayed at 'Kuruva resort' or heard any feedback about them?
Regards,
Manoj
Manoj, Kuruva resort is very near to pepper green on the same road, so hope we may meet there tomorrow. I have not stayed in Kuruva, from what I heard last time, it is more like an ayurvedic resort and serve only veg food. View from outside was looking, but didn't bother to check further. Hope you will get a better update from our people who had stayed there
Old 30th April 2009, 18:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I'm new here, and this is my first post. I'm actually going to be in Wayanad this weekend. Should be leaving around 6:30am from Bannerghatta road. Plan to stay at Kuruva resort, which I guess is near Pepper Green resort. Has anyone stayed at 'Kuruva resort' or heard any feedback about them? Didn't know about the Pepper Green resort, else would have considered that (maybe next trip, although I can change my plans and check Pepper green for rooms if i hear better reviews about the place).

Regards,
Manoj
Change plans? I dont think there is any availability in Wayanad and unless you have already booked it is difficult to get a place to stay.

I am also planning for Wayanad this long weekend but haven't got booking yet
Can you guys please let me know if anything is available?

Thanks,
Nitin
Old 4th May 2009, 09:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Guys, came back after another exciting trip to Wayanad. We had Rajesh & Dutt from Team BHP with their families in pepper green (planning to give them the chance to write on the trip). Hope Nitin could find a place? Manoj -please udpate how was Kuruva resort
Old 4th May 2009, 11:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Gadadhar, Somehow I missed this thread. Wonderful travelogue and pics.
I information about the new resort is very handy and will surely try it out sometime.

Abhi
Old 7th May 2009, 15:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post

Sorry that I didn’t track the odo keenly, but is close to 310 Kms from Bangalore.

Bobby
As promised, small update on the exact distance after the second trip. It is 260 Kms from JP Nagar 9th phase to the Resort .
Old 7th May 2009, 16:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Bobby,
somehow i missed this thread before. great write up. This is definitely on my agenda in Dec 09.
Old 7th May 2009, 16:38   #38
BHPian

Waiting for the new set of pics, Please post soon guys
Old 8th May 2009, 15:23   #39

Back from Kuruva resort. Trip went off well. We pretty much stayed put in the resort (as we were travelling with our 4 month old daughter and didn't want it to be strenuous for her, after the 8 hour drive). The resort itself is fine (i don't have anything to compare it with though, as i've not stayed at any other place in wayanad). My review on the place is mixed:

Location/view, etc - Quite good, as it's right next to the river, and the cottages had a good sitout to relax in the evenings. You could just walk across the river and hike through Kuruvadweep.

Food - it's indeed an ayurveda place, meant for foreigners who come to kerala for that. So, the food, etc. caters to that audience. Only veg food, and very simple food (sometimes we felt it was way too simple). Knowing Malayalam helped to get some extras (when stuff ran out).

Rooms & Activities - Rooms very fine. Quite large rooms, but the only problem is they didnt even have a fan! Probably good for the cooler seasons, but definitely not comfortable in may...and that too with 2 small kids accompanying! We had to ask for pedestal fans to be brought for us (which they did...and it helped!). As my friend had a 3yr old son, they were a little unhappy that there was no activities/games available for the kid (except whatever games they carried with them). So, may want to keep that in mind if you are travelling with a kid.

It's one of the places that's good, but good be much better if they get some of the basics right!

Have fun...
Manoj
Old 8th May 2009, 18:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Food - = Only veg food, and very simple food (sometimes we felt it was way too simple).

Rooms & Activities - Rooms very fine. Quite large rooms, but the only problem is they didnt even have a fan! Manoj
Manoj, Nice to know you enjoyed the trip. Probably we would have bounced upon during our strolls there (both resorts are very nearby). We were lucky to get excellent non-veg food, barbeque, camp fire and had fans . We too were confined to the resort except for a short trek through the forest, 2 night drives to Kattikulam to sight animals and a trip to Tirunelly temple.

Try to post a travelogue with some good snaps (don't mind if you hijack this thread).
Old 17th July 2009, 11:38   #41
BHPian

im planning for a trip in couple of months. Would like to know if pepper green has good veg food
Old 20th July 2009, 12:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
im planning for a trip in couple of months. Would like to know if pepper green has good veg food
They make good veg food is the feedback I got from one of my veg colleague. Make sure you inform the manager about your preference when you make the booking.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:21   #43
BHPian

Rain Havoc in Wayanad

Going to Kerala during monsoon? According to me is the best time to visit Kerala if you love rains! After 1962, most of the North of Kerala ( Calicut, Wayanad, Kannur, Malappuram, Kasargode) known as Malabar was hit by rain havoc in the last week. To experience the mosoon rains and floods, we left on Jul 17th Friday. The same day morning, it was known from TV/Newspaper that the road from Bangalore to Wayanad is flooded and traffic is halted.

Friday:
Four of us decided to be brave and try our luck to reach Wayanad on friday night. We left Whitefield, Bangalore at 5pm and were on Mysore road by 6pm via Airport Road, Corporation Circle, Town hall. Reached Nanjangud at 9:30pm and had our dinner at a roadside shop. Also checked with the truck drivers for the status of the roads. We went through Muthanaga forest and it was pouring down. Rains and night - my most favorite condition for driving! On the sides of the beautiful road amidst Muthanga forest, we could spot a baby elephant, a rogue elephant and two glittering eyes suspected to be of a deer. After we reached sales tax check-post the traffic halted for almost 40min due to traffic jam. It was cleared once the highway police showed up at the spot. Meanwhile we got out of the cars and stood in the pouring rains with our umbrellas. We were getting used to the rains. Finally we reached Kalpetta at 1am via Sultan Bathery and settled at Hotel 'Vazhiyoram' on the way.

Saturday:
We woke up at 7am and were ready to have our breakfast at the nearest local 'chaayakada'. Puttu and kadala and appam was filled in our plates and vanished in a few minutes.Then we headed to Banasura dam on the way to Vythiri from Kalpetta town. The roads are well laid and marked. The thrill of driving through the ghats in rains! It is an experience. We walked along Banasura dam and enjoyed the water body surrounded by the lush green mountains and valleys. After lunch, we found that Pookode lake at Lakkidi is another interesting place and overflowing currently. Lakkidi is one of the highest locations in Wayanad. It is situated 700 m above mean sea level, atop Thamarassery ghat pass. Vythiri is the nearest town, just 5 km from Lakkidi. On the way we stopped to enjoy the tea estates and a cup of piping hot tea. One of the umbrellas got repaired on the way by a roadside umbrella mechanic :-). Lofty mountain peaks, gushing water streams, luxuriant vegetation and the bird's eye view of the deep valley and winding roads!!! We did some pedal boating at Pookode lake - very wide and deep (60ft), partially filled with lotus flowers. Got back to Kalpetta town and did some shopping. I bought a few Malayalam novels from 'Current Books'. Time to unwind and headed back to 'Vazhiyoram' and rested for the day listening the music of rains and enjoying a delicious dinner.

Sunday:
I Woke up at 5am and drove to the nearest tea estates. The early morning rush in a sleepy town- news paper vendors,milk vans, vegetable trucks at the market - are nostalgic scenes. After a few photo-ops, I joined my friends at hotel and we got wet and enjoyed heavy rains in the nearby land. We decided to go to Mananthavady via Panamaram as we read in the newspaper that many of the places on our way are flooded and many more deaths were reported in Malabar area due to rains, landslide and floods. No need to say that on this way, we emptied a big glass almirah of a 'chaayakada' when we had our breakfast.

At Panamaram we found a road was flooded- parked our car and waded through the water along the road. It was a tiring 200m walk and we took a local bus back to our car! Lot of paddy fields were destroyed and electric posts were uprooted when the river got 50% more wide. We reached Mananthavady and drove towards Kuruva Island. We knew the island is under water and still wanted to reach there and see how things are. The road to Thirunelly is wonderful with evergreen forest on both sides of the road. We reached near Kuruva Island and had some first hand experience in catching fish and crab. Then we had lunch at Kattikulam and returned to Kalpetta. At 4:30pm we started back to Bangalore and got the news that Nanjangud roads are under water. A detour at Nanjangud costed driving 50km through the infamouse rural Karnataka roads and 2 hours! Finally we reachde Mysore at 9pm and back in Banagalore at 11:30pm.

Picasa Web Albums - Romin - Wayanad

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd July 2009 at 14:45. Reason: [Font] tags, please avoid using external font editors, also please upload the pics in TBHP directly. Thanks
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
They make good veg food is the feedback I got from one of my veg colleague. Make sure you inform the manager about your preference when you make the booking.
Thanks for that ino gadadhar
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Romins, You guys have some real guts to venture from Bangalore to Wayanad during that heavy rains. Your awesome snaps are good proof you enjoyed the rains to its last drop. You are right in telling that Wayand is in full glory when it is raining, but the rains during last week was on the very higher side ( I was in kerala during then) and many high range roads have taken a severe beating.

High range roads of Kerala can change overnight during rains and if a flash flood washes the road, people can even end up stuck with out a way out. Many tourist vehicles are stuck in Nelliampathy (a hill station near Palaghat in Kerala) after the road are being washed-off in a flashflood. As per reports reinstating the roads can take even months. People have managed to trek across but imagine the plight of tourists who had got their vehicles stuck there for months long

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks