Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:15   #61
BHPian

Tanglang La & reaching Leh

After crossing Morey (thank GOD), the climb for Tanglang La began, and I was again getting excited as we’re climbing to the second highest pass of the world. The road was pretty decent, mix of gravel & sand. The climb wasn’t steep and it was a smooth sailing to the top. I had heard about the amazing views from this pass, and they definitely were.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06433.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06434.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06443.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06446.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06449.jpg

After a few Km from Tanglang La, the road became so very smooth. It was like driving in the plains. Started ripping the car, small settlements like Gya & many other flew by and within no time we're in Upshi. Stopped here for a quick snack of dal roti and omelet. After that it was a straight dash to Leh.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06453.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06451.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06457.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06458.jpg

Headed straight for Changspa Rd. and within no time we're carrying out luggage inside Asia Guest House. Settled here for the evening/night. I called up Suman Da to inform him that we've reached Leh successfully. And I'd like to thank him again for telling me to check out Wonderland Rest. for food. Their dishes were amazing folks, I hogged like a pig in there. Roamed around the lane, and found that this area was favored mostly by foreigners. This suited us, as it was pretty quite and away from busy markets. Went to sleep a bit early, around 11, as we'd to go to Nubra the next day.

Next stop, Khardung La & Nubra Valley. A teaser pic of myself, my car and nature's beauty:

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06494.jpg
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Bro...My heart is pounding like a piston of speeding car . I expect to do this very soon, ibn my 12 year Old babe. I am dying to see mud and marks all over its black body, I simply love that look of it.

by the way, you said that you found Rohtang La was worse ? Is it true, because that gives me some confidence as I have crossed that in an Alto earlier this month.
Hey bro, my best wishes for your upcoming trip. "Just do it" man. Yup, regarding the ascent & descent, Rohtang was worst. All other passes had no or very little mud slushes & bad potholes, but Rohtang was full of them.

Regarding the vehicle, Alto's a lot lighter then Esteem man. But no worries, you're gonna sail through easily. The roads would be better when you start (fingers crossed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Divine terrain, great writeup and Godly photography, O lordofgondor!
Thanks thanks. *blush*
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

lordofgondor, there's a small request from a rohirrim
Please resize the images to 1600x from now on so that they cover my desktop when I steal them!
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:52   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Why, those deeply embedded scratch marks that we saw last time have all been removed, is it?
Well, all that dirt and mud temporary hides them .

But seriously, A black car lookes very sexy when its comes from a long drive on a rainy day. The Dirtier, the Better .
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

Awesome man, whenever I see the word Leh I feel like leaving work and heading towards that. It's such an amazing place. I'll go there next year again for sure.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
lordofgondor, there's a small request from a rohirrim
Please resize the images to 1600x from now on so that they cover my desktop when I steal them!
How can I refuse a request from a brother in arms.
Please send me your mail id in a PM, and I'll mail across some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Awesome man, whenever I see the word Leh I feel like leaving work and heading towards that. It's such an amazing place. I'll go there next year again for sure.
I know what you mean bro. Plan to go there next year myself too.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Where is today's dose of Ladakh to break monotony of work? It's already Midday
Old 24th July 2009, 12:35   #68
BHPian

Days 5 & 6: Leh, Khandung La & Nubra Valley

Day 5 was spent resting, getting permits and the car checked. Decided to visit Shey Palace & Thiksey monstries as we felt pretty fresh and no tireness.

View from Shey Palace

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06466.jpg

The Gold plated enormous statue of seated sakyamuni

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06473.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06470.jpg

The Thiksey Monastry

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06476.jpg

Took a few strolls down the Changspa Rd. checking out the various restaurants & bakeries lining it. Many bakeries are best avoided as they serve stale items, but the one at Wonderland & Babylon were good. We decided that Wonderland was the best place to enjoy yummy and fresh food and it was our joint for the days we were in Leh. For Thai food lovers, Zen restaurant is the place to be. But ambience wise, Le Pizzeria steals the cake, especially for dinner. Imagine sitting next to a log fire on a cold night, and enjoying a candle light dinner with your better half, amazing. And don't worry, it serves dishes other than Pizzas.

Then came the say when I'd be driving down the world's highest motorable road (allegedly) and explore the beautiful Nubra valley. Our plan was to visit Sumur, Panamik, Hunder and take a night halt at Diskit (Olthang guest house). And what a nice excursion it was. We saw so much variety in the color of mountains, shades of green, pink, red, rust and of course black & brown. I'd never seen a snowfall earlier in my life, and now I have both Khardung La and Chang La to thank for making it snow big time on me. Ok, enough talk, now some pics.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06494.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06496.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06490.jpg

My better half enjoying the snow fall.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06492.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06481.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06499.jpg

More on Nubra coming up...
Old 24th July 2009, 12:36   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Where is today's dose of Ladakh to break monotony of work? It's already Midday
Sorry for the delay mate, gave my car for servicing while en route to office. The saga has begun.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:48   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Sorry for the delay mate, gave my car for servicing while en route to office. The saga has begun.
Nice one.... both the journey pics and "pun" above.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:27   #71
BHPian

Day 6 Continued: Nubra

It had started snowing from South Pullu & we could see the snowflakes falling way beyond North Pullu. I was feeling exhilarated after catching my first snowfall. Bad road, ice slush & water filled potholes were very kindly excused and now we’re on a different plane while entering Nubra. Stopped at Khardung village for breakfast, which was veg momos & maggi. Wife struck a conversation with the lady serving us, and I went for some photography.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06510.jpg

The Khardung village

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06517.jpg

Soon we’re in Nubra, and were amazed by the mind boggling beauty of nature. Add to that the great condition of the road, it was perfect. Reached Khalsar around 11 AM, and stopped there for a few minutes to decide which way to go. Whether to Sumur-Panamik, or to Diskit-Hunder. And I for a change impressed my wife by displaying that my grey cells still have juice in them. Told her that since we plan to stay in Diskit, let’s go towards Panamik to avoid backtracking later. So off we were to Sumur, thinking about the hot water springs of Panamik.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06526.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06535.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06540.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06547.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06554.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0687.jpg

The drive to Panamik was pretty surreal, with dreamscapes surrounding us all around. Inquired about the location of the hot springs and reached a quite spot from where there was a slight climb to the spring. Climbed the climb and quite frankly we’re shocked to see water flowing through pipes from a brick and concrete structure. I was like, “man this is gonna be like Vashisht”. Fortunately there was more to it, not much, but still better. Reached the point where water was coming out of the rocks and wife advised not to stay for long as there were plenty of Sulphur fumes in there.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06561.jpg

It's time to turn back and head to Diskit.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0681.jpg
Old 24th July 2009, 14:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Pic 1 takes the cake !! You know what looking at the pics and your user id, I seriously feel the Pic 1 is indeed the land of Gondor !
Old 24th July 2009, 17:05   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Nice one.... both the journey pics and "pun" above.
Thanks Sudev ji. The unintended ones come out great sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Pic 1 takes the cake !! You know what looking at the pics and your user id, I seriously feel the Pic 1 is indeed the land of Gondor !
Of course buddy, I was just visiting my domain.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:24   #74
BHPian

Fantastic pictures - just can't wait - heading out to Leh in less than a month - so even more keenly interested!
Old 24th July 2009, 17:42   #75
BHPian

Reached the Y point before Khalsar, and took the road to Diskit. This one’s pretty interesting. The road has been built over the riverbed of what must have been a humungous river sometime. As far as the eye can see, there were round boulders around.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0688.jpg

We passed Diskit, and decided to move straight to Hunder. I wanted to stop and book Olthang first, but wife was too excited to watch the Bacterian camels & ride them. Hence, we moved ahead. Within 20 minutes we’re in Hunder and can see the desert like terrain below. Soon the sand dunes also came into view. This was quite an amazing sight, with sand dunes, greenery, river and snowy peak all in a single view.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0697.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06565.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06569.jpg

We proceeded to the location where camel rides were going on, and as feared, it was pretty crowded. Anyways, wife was soon sitting on one of those dirty beasts. I was astonished to see how pathetically those camels were being treated by their owners. It was like biting the hand that feeds you, felt badly for the poor animals, but what can I do.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06593.jpg

After the ride, we climbed one of the dunes, away from the crowd and enjoyed talking about her experience sitting on a camel after many years.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06599.jpg

It started getting dark and so it was time to head back to Diskit, get a nice dinner and a good night’s sleep. But another surprise was in store for us. When we got to Olthang, we’re told that it’s all booked and we’re just late by about 20 minutes for a booking. Luckily the guy arranged stay for us in a guest house close by. We left the car parked at Olthang, dumped our stuff in the guest house and came back for dinner. I left the guy a nice tip and wolla, when I came back in the morning my car had had received a wash. Started back for Leh, and clicked a few snaps from K-Top once more.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06621.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06626.jpg

Rest of the day was again for fooding, chilling and relaxing. Night came soon and again excitement levels were peaking as tomorrow we'd heading to Tso Moriri.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks