Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 11:20   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hats off to the Indian Army!!!

I envy you for having received the offer for Boat Ride on Pnagong, but wouldn't liketo go through like you did to receive it.
Next time I am gonna visit the workshop, not for the same reasons, and request one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
Fantastic travelogue with mindblowing snaps. Keep them coming.
BTW, noticed an AP registered bike in one of the snaps. Was he a part of some group or a solo adventurer?
Thanks man. There were two bikers from AP riding on seperate machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Loved your description of interactions with Jawans and the officers. Having experienced it personally one thing which comes out is They are as happy, if not more, to have company other than the routine.
The ability to get things done at remotest places was one of criterion of choosing Ambassador over Fiat/Padmini in the long past. I am glad to see army guys treating Gyps's cousin Esteem with ease and familiarity.
So what next...???
Yes sir, that's exactly what the OC told us. He seemed pretty pleased to spend time with us telling us that he rarely gets to interact with civilians in there. So we're a nice break from his monotonous routine.

The army mechanics were pretty apt in handling the car. The MASS people seemed surprised that they were able to handle the gearbox. I felt like giving the MASS guy a piece of my mind when he said so, but refrained myself.

Actually sir, I wan't able to carry any more pics with me as I got just a day's notice before leaving. Feeling apprehensive about putting text only accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
honest question. Is that SOOC or heavily PPed pics. Those are the kinda pics I wanted to take but got much dull ones IME.
An honest answer, no photoshop used. What's SOOC?

I used the vivid/landscape modes with different in-camera/custom white balances. Maybe that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
My God , Can those pics get better than that. I doubt no..Keep it rolling.
Thanks man. Beauty's in the eyes of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Lordofgondor - unbelievable pics. I have never ever seen such beautiful pics of the region. Hats off to you

Thanks for sharing, ive downloaded a couple and put them up as my wallpaper!

btw - which lens were you using with the Alpha 100?
Thanks buddy! I used the sony kit lens 18-70 mm. Was also carrying the 70-300 mm one, but hardly used it. Was really wanting a good wide-angle lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen08 View Post
Interesting blog, informative and entertaining, and well illustrated with beautiful pictures.
Thanks for the applause mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
whoa, what an experience of life time. and without a doubt amazing pics.
Yup it sure was. Dreams came true, challanges overcome and plenty of adventures.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:39   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Reached Sarchu around 12 noon, and now were in a dilemma whether to stop there or carry on till Pang. The words of caution against staying at Pang given by Kumarji rang in my head, and it was decided that Sarchu was gonna be our halt for the day.
Attachment 163203
Excellent write up with excellent shots. One small question though. Why did you keep your camera setting at vivid?

Going by your shots..must say you had clean weather right through.
Here is the same place what I saw through my camera in 2006. Sky was like this most of the time.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-afternoon.jpg
Old 10th August 2009, 13:42   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's SOOC?
Straight Out Of Camera!
But then, cameras process already! Unless you're shooting RAW.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:08   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Excellent write up with excellent shots. One small question though. Why did you keep your camera setting at vivid?

Going by your shots..must say you had clean weather right through.
Here is the same place what I saw through my camera in 2006. Sky was like this most of the time.

Attachment 172193
Thanks for the compliments Rudraji.
I kept them at vivid cause I feel my camera brings out colors better in that. I'd even modified the Saturation & Contrast levels a few times and kept playing with the white balance.

Yup, mostly we had clear skies. But while going to Khardung La, Chang La and returning from Tangtse there were a lot of clouds. We even experienced rain, rather a slight drizzle, in Leh for more than an hour. And to top it all, a Rainbow too!

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0803.jpg

Taken from our hotel window after the drizzle.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0824.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Straight Out Of Camera!
But then, cameras process already! Unless you're shooting RAW.
Thanks for clarifying that Anupji.
RAW is not cup of my tea, as I've experienced from a Goa trip earlier this year. More than 500 images are still lying in RAW mode only. I'd thought I'd try my hand at PhotoShop and do something with those images but gave up after sometime.

I feel happy with what processing the camera does. Maybe when I become a professional photographer I'll start shooting in RAW!
Old 10th August 2009, 21:12   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Maybe when I become a professional photographer I'll start shooting in RAW!
Entirely open for debate, LOL!
Is the professional better or the committed amateur?
Old 10th August 2009, 23:11   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Entirely open for debate, LOL!
Is the professional better or the committed amateur?
Anupji, how do you always manage to strike the cord?
Old 5th September 2009, 19:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments Rudraji.
I kept them at vivid cause I feel my camera brings out colors better in that. I'd even modified the Saturation & Contrast levels a few times and kept playing with the white balance.

Yup, mostly we had clear skies. But while going to Khardung La, Chang La and returning from Tangtse there were a lot of clouds. We even experienced rain, rather a slight drizzle, in Leh for more than an hour. And to top it all, a Rainbow too!

Attachment 172430

Taken from our hotel window after the drizzle.

Attachment 172431

Thanks for clarifying that Anupji.
RAW is not cup of my tea, as I've experienced from a Goa trip earlier this year. More than 500 images are still lying in RAW mode only. I'd thought I'd try my hand at PhotoShop and do something with those images but gave up after sometime.

I feel happy with what processing the camera does. Maybe when I become a professional photographer I'll start shooting in RAW!

I like the rainbow , nice catch. I've missed Leh this year , hopefully will make it next year.
Old 5th September 2009, 22:49   #128
Joy
BHPian

Wow! That's what I have in mind. My ultimate dream driving destination. What lively pictures? What lively travelogue? My mind is numb at present. Can't write any more because I want live this photos bigtime. I will let my thought flow write something later.

Hats off to you and your beloved esteem. Don't know when my dreams will come true.

Hats off to you.
Old 6th September 2009, 00:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Wow! That's what I have in mind. My ultimate dream driving destination. What lively pictures? What lively travelogue? My mind is numb at present. Can't write any more because I want live this photos bigtime. I will let my thought flow write something later.

Hats off to you and your beloved esteem. Don't know when my dreams will come true.

Hats off to you.

To be honest i think 80% of the BHPians want to do this but are not able to due to some or the other constraint.
Old 6th September 2009, 06:29   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest i think 80% of the BHPians want to do this but are not able to due to some or the other constraint.
After reading Suman's and then L.O.G's trip log, I couldn't stop myself from not doing Ladakh this season. I guess the biggest problem with most of us is the time required to do Ladakh and distance from most places, especially if you are in South. It is one place I feel needs to be done by road rather than just flying in and out
Old 7th September 2009, 14:19   #131
BHPian

The saga will continue shortly!

Hey friends, I am back! Reached home yesterday morning to spend a glorious Sunday with the family. Feels great to be back.

Quote:
I like the rainbow , nice catch. I've missed Leh this year , hopefully will make it next year.
Sad to hear this mate, but I guess this will just enforce your resolve to be there in the coming year. Wish you loads of luck.

Regarding the rainbow, I kept peeking out of my room's window as soon as the rain stopped and caught it just in time as it didn't last for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post

Hats off to you.
Thanks Joy! Ladakh sure is a heavenly destination for us motorheads. Wish you all the best for your dreams.

Quote:
+N to the power M to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
After reading Suman's and then L.O.G's trip log, I couldn't stop myself from not doing Ladakh this season. I guess the biggest problem with most of us is the time required to do Ladakh and distance from most places, especially if you are in South. It is one place I feel needs to be done by road rather than just flying in and out
Hey bro, I read you man. I always prefer to drive down to whatever destination I have in mind, and because of that have been unable to check out so many places, especially in the North-East.

Guess I need to check where I'd reached on my Ladakh trip and will soon continue from where I'd left off. In the meantime, am posting some pics of the car's perspective.

Towards Barlacha La

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0366.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0372.jpg

Smooth tarmac near Barlacha La

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0402.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0424.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0438.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0439.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0447.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0454.jpg

Around Sarchu

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0479.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05051.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05321.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05451.jpg

Nearing Kangla Jal

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05521.jpg

Kangla Jal

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05571.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05631.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05771.jpg

Morey Plains

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05811.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05841.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_05951.jpg

Towards Tanglang La

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_06141.jpg
Old 7th September 2009, 14:28   #132
BHPian

Amazing pics lordofgondor.. Frankly speaking I never liked Esteem apart from its pickup. After seeing these pics that the type of roads Esteem has handled, my respect for this car has gone up.
Old 7th September 2009, 15:04   #133
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Back, man!

If I remember correctly you left us at Paggal Nullah and went away
Old 7th September 2009, 15:04   #134
BHPian

By Far, The best pictures i've see of the Drive to Leh and the Region. Simply stunning work, my friend. a great, detailed and interesting write up to accompany it, specially your humbling experience with the Army makes all us Indians Proud of who we are!
Old 7th September 2009, 15:06   #135
Senior - BHPian

Nice that you were treated the true army way. Also the bus ride would be a true highlight that not many can boast of here. Nice to see you back and in high spirits but on the hind sight you should have gone on to Pangong tso

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks