Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 20:29   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!

Long drives have suddenly taken a big hit on the Bangy TBHP scene these days. So the 4 of us decided to hit the roads anyways irrespective of how many came. Since Yelagiri has been done quite often now, we decided to hit Yercaud instead. And rest assured, this will be our destination for the future TBHP drives for a long time to come.

Come Saturday morning, we left Jaynagar around 11am. Its the worst possible time to take the EC route. It was nearly 12:30pm by the time we hit A2B. After that the roads opened up. Probably this is one of the best driving destinations in this side of the country for those wanting to stretch their right legs. Unfortunately, we had one of the cars still doing its running-in. That didn't stop the other car from unleashing all those torques from under its hood. It was equipped with a Race Dynamics ECU set at Power 2 mode. Must admit, there was around 8% difference in the overall performance of the car. And I am told, this was a very conservative map. The ECU was supposed to be a surprise package for the drive, if not I could have got RDK to unleash whatever the engine could churn out. Boy! That would have been some fun.

Nice Road invites us. Braaj's car see the highways for the first time.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_60841ed.jpg

The turbo spool is more violent than stock and the car revvs neatly all the way to 4,200 rpm. On the stock car, you tend to notice that the revvs start falling down by around 3,600 rpm. Its definitely a welcome change. Car though definitely needs an upgraded air filter. Reaching top speeds is a breeze now. Earlier a stock getz would be faster than a Pete'd Elantra upto 160kmph but slows down on hitting 160kmph and the elantra's just blow past after that. Now with the ECU, its a different ball game all together.

The RD'd Getz burning the roads.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_60961ed.jpg

Its the perfect weather for a drive like this.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61121ed.jpg
Old 30th August 2009, 21:23   #2
BANNED

We had lunch at A2B and hit the roads again.

The drive was a breeze. The expressway from Krishnagiri to Salem stretch is complete. The visibility is as good as 1-2kms ahead. Even traffic wasn't that bad. These are the conditions when you miss all those mad elantra's, vtec's, RS', esteem's, swifts. What a photo op that would have been.

There are so many beautiful spots on this road to do photo shoots. Most often, we never notice them in the hurry to get to our destination. My recent trips have made me appreciate nature even more now.

The deejal's reclaiming the roads.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_60971ed-.jpg

The roads beckon us to open up the evil twins.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61191ed.jpg

If you think the previous pic tells you how good the roads are, wait until you see this....
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61211ed.jpg

We soon start to lose count of the milestones that appear. Each time I take a pic of the beautiful horizon, we lurch forward only to find some more empty roads inviting us and an equally beautiful scenery to go along with it.

Normally on most drives, I am busy trying to co-ordinate the lunch menu and other stuff on the move, if not I am driving my car. Just 4 of us meant I could just sit back, relax and go trigger happy. It was a welcome change. For once I could sit back and appreciate and enjoy the whole drive.

We hit Salem, in no time. The ghat section to Yercaud begins. This stretch of the ghat section is a really nice one for an enthusiastic driver. 20 hair pin bends, some wonderful scenery, well laid tarmac, hitting altitudes of nearly 1500 mtrs presents its own weather that one fails to find in our polluted cities. There is no longer a need for AC, the air is fresh. I would pay anything for such an experience.

Even the ghat section is well tarred. The traffic is a bit heavy, given that its a weekend.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61291ed.jpg
Old 30th August 2009, 21:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

wow , nice mclaren , any pics of both the twins together ? .
Old 30th August 2009, 21:45   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
wow , nice mclaren , any pics of both the twins together ? .
Yup! Lots of pics coming up. Watch this space ....
Old 30th August 2009, 21:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

All that power in Shyam's car and it's running on stock Goodyears!?!? Sacrilege!
Old 30th August 2009, 21:58   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
All that power in Shyam's car and it's running on stock Goodyears!?!? Sacrilege!
Actually he is running 195/60/14 BFG g-sport or something. Needless to say, given the 12x odd horses and insane amounts of torque his car is putting out, the tires scream for mercy wheelspinning into third and torque steering like crazy.
Old 30th August 2009, 22:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

wow nice... those roads look very inviting!

its been a while since i went that direction
Old 30th August 2009, 22:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Actually he is running 195/60/14 BFG g-sport or something. Needless to say, given the 12x odd horses and insane amounts of torque his car is putting out, the tires scream for mercy wheelspinning into third and torque steering like crazy.
Aah my bad! Those are decent tyres. Noisy, but decent. I take my words back!
Old 30th August 2009, 23:06   #9
BANNED

Enough of the car talk for now. Let us focus on some pics of Yercaud .

The immaculately maintained Yercaud lake.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_6212-181ed.jpg

The ghats that chewed up the tires and brakes.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61331ed.jpg

Yercaud has some weird names, lady's/gent's seat etc etc.

The view from Lady's seat. There is a telescope in one of the towers, apparently you can see the Mettur lake from here.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61511ed.jpg

Sun is setting on this wonderful place.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_62531ed.jpg
Old 30th August 2009, 23:36   #10
BHPian

please post more information about places to visit,accomodation,good restaurants. so on.
Old 30th August 2009, 23:46   #11
BANNED

I still haven't understood the whole purpose of this drive to be honest . Was it supposed to be a drive so that we could do a photo shoot of both the cars? Or was it so that Rajeev could run in his car? Or was it because they wanted to get out for a drive since the last one has been quite a while. Was it tire testing? ECU testing? Actually, I don't think we need a reason to drive. Any reason is just an excuse to drive for most of us I guess.

Shyam decides to pose with his car. But I conveniently remove him from the pic .
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61561ed.jpg

Now, Rajeev wants to head back. So basically, we drove up to Yercaud, visited the suicide spot, ate some mirchi's, had a few cool drinks and now we are supposed to get back? Somehow it didn't seem right. So I ask (more like threaten) Rajeev to drive down to Kiliyur falls which is around 3.5kms from the lake.

I remember some pics I had shot of the baleno here

It took me back a few years. I begin to realize that I have done my fair share of trips in the baleno when I didn't have a good cam. Now that I have a decent cam, I have never done a trip in the baleno. Promise myself that this will change very soon.

Capture us if you can, shout out the evil twins.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_62221ed.jpg

Last time I came here, I wish I had a DSLR. This time however, I had one with me and this is the outcome.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_6195edit212ed.jpg
Old 30th August 2009, 23:59   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
wow nice... those roads look very inviting!
The roads are more than inviting. I have been asked not to post a few pics here, failing which I would receive an infraction . These roads are a true drivers paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Aah my bad! Those are decent tyres. Noisy, but decent. I take my words back!
Honestly, these tires are totally inadequate for this car. Like I mentioned, the tires wheelspin into third on powershifting. Its easy to lock them up under braking too, so one has to be really careful. But they seem to have decent lateral grip. And yeah, the road noise is deafening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
please post more information about places to visit,accomodation,good restaurants. so on.
We didn't dwell much into exploring the place because we reached Yercaud only by 3pm. We just clicked a few pics and started our journey back to Bangalore as the married uncles had to get back home by 9ish.

However, read up on this link for places to visit @ Yercaud.
Yercaud Lake, Yercaud Park

My sincere suggestion would be, not to go around "looking for spots". These are places one must go to unwind from the hectic city life, relax and enjoy the whole experience. I have noticed quite a lot of tourists go around to places and hunt for the must see places and feel disappointed (either they are too overcrowded or people just rush through from one place to the other in a hurry to cover them all). Take your time to explore the place and don't hesitate to spend some time if you like the spot.

I was looking forward to trek down to Kiliyur falls, but like I said, due to shortage of time we had to head back. Next time, I shall make it a point to cover the falls.

As far as the food is concerned, I have heard that Shevaroy's & Sterling are good.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:29   #13
BHPian

It was a wonderful drive after a long time, was remembering those pathetic days where we used to take 2hrs to reach krishnagiri - salem but now its a breeze.
Shyams getz did manage to do bangalore-salem in just quarter tank of diesel and i was surprised.

I pity the VW passot guy who thought his car is faster than shyams car.

I would suggest people to book resorts in "Wild orchid" yercaud which is near to the water falls.

Nice pic's there rahul.
Where are the pic of satya posing for remarriage.com .
Old 31st August 2009, 11:39   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Shyams getz did manage to do bangalore-salem in just quarter tank of diesel and i was surprised.
That car has a range of around 550kms running on P2 .

Quote:
I would suggest people to book resorts in "Wild orchid" yercaud which is near to the water falls.
Yup! It did seem like a nice place, so I googled it up and look what I came up with.

Quote:
Nice pic's there rahul.
Plenty more coming up.

Quote:
Where are the pic of satya posing for remarriage.com .
Nearly forgot about that. Thanks for reminding. All the pics should be up by afternoon.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:57   #15
BANNED

So we get to the parking at Kiliyur falls and I go trigger happy. I make these guys reverse their cars, park it at different angles till the time I am satisfied with the shot. Next time, one must go early in the morning to do a photo shoot. Afternoons, sun plays havoc with the lighting.

Mirror image, but with a twist!
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61881ed.jpg

What goes around, comes around...
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_62091ed.jpg

The macho look.
GETZ'd: The Torque twins visit Yercaud!-img_61831ed.jpg

We shoot a couple of pics and then we begin our return journey. Rajeev is in a hurry to get back to Salem to find a good petrol pump so that he can tank up while Shyam and myself take some time to click some more pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks