Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 18:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sam, I just went thru the entire thread in one go and as usual an amzing story.

Anyways waiting for the next part!
Old 15th February 2010, 13:13   #107
Senior - BHPian

Sam, great reporting 'betta', keep it up ! (did I make you feel younger ?)

Just a question: curious to know what kind of HD memory your laptop and desktop are loaded with, considering a 5% photos posted through our forum here. Thanks.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Say, would you like to go see my Harley?
Would I? YES.
Well, as you know it is only registered from March to October so we cannot go for a ride.
Could you eloborate on this more, Sam? Is this half regn allowed for tax purpose? Or savings in Road Tax?
Old 15th February 2010, 15:08   #109
Team-BHP Support

I prefer the winter look
All white and shiney. Perfect day and weather for a drive on the slippery roads!
Old 15th February 2010, 23:41   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Just a question: curious to know what kind of HD memory your laptop and desktop are loaded with, considering a 5% photos posted through our forum here. Thanks.
Oh the usual. 500gigs on the laptop, 300 on the imac, 4X200 gig externals, 2X500gig externals and 1X640 gig. Nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Could you eloborate on this more, Sam? Is this half regn allowed for tax purpose? Or savings in Road Tax?
To save on Road tax, vehicle tax, insurance, registration and more.
Old 15th February 2010, 23:57   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Wednesday, 30th December 2009

The year is almost over. My ears are over too. My cold is still running strong and I am now yelling like I have headphones in my ears.

That's disconcerting to many. For an Indian, used to the cacophony of Mumbai, it is very quiet here.
It is almost never quiet in Mumbai. If it isn't the rickshaws or the horns, it's the howling dogs and the fighting people and the drunks and the temple festivities and the weddings...

It's the crows and the parties and the bhajans and the bhongas.

It is very quiet here.

And I'm yelling at people, lol.

How will I fly? I will not be able to fly with 2 blocked ears and a blocked nose. The pain is OK, but a bust eardrum I simply cannot have.

Use the Nasenspüler. I'm telling you.
No! I laugh. It's disgusting.

A Nasenspüler is the German word for a Neti Pot. Those that know some Yoga will know what that is. Those that don't - worry not. A full blown explanation will follow.

The BIL is a Yoga instructor. He believes in the Neti Pot, the Nasenspüler. He uses it religiously and he believes that in that Neti Pot lies my solution. I refuse, but I am so desperate now that my refusal is getting less forceful.

Today my Friend Klaus will arrive into Bad Nauheim, the thought of seeing him again is a happy thought. But he will be here in the evening.

Schlittschuh laufen. We are going ice skating. No I am not going to fall and make TheOne®'s day.

I make better progress this time, managing to move around without making hand-windmills. It's just so disheartening to see little kids zoom around like naturals and one big Yeti® making baby skating steps...

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4620_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4622c_l.jpg
Old 16th February 2010, 00:18   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

The Neti Pot/ Nasenspüler

So this is how it works.

You take this thing and it looks something like this:

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-1ca4_2.jpg

And you fill it up with warm water. Warmer than your body, but not hot. And you put some salt in it. Just a little, to break the surface tension. Like a big pinch.

Then you put the spout in your nostril and lift, allowing the gravity to let the water into your nostril. Then you tilt your head slightly sideways and if you do it just right, the water fills up your nasal cavity and comes pouring out your other nostril.
It takes a little time to get it right initially and there is this strange vacuum-like feeling that feels like it's grabbing everything out your sinuses.

And then the water comes out your other nostril. And you can even breathe through your mouth while that goes on.
And the water comes out with some pretty unbelievable gunk.

Then you reverse the nostrils and do it again.

Sounds yucky?? I thought so too. How horrible is the whole concept, lol.

Strangely, it's Indian. It is a part of Yoga. It comes from here and we don't do it. And an Indian guy goes to Germany and learns about the Neti Pot from a German who does it religiously. Every single day.

I wonder if I should do it. I wonder...

That evening we're sitting round the table, playing games. My friend has arrived and we're chatting and eating and drinking. It's nice.

For everyone else. I'm not really fine. It's a mix of sickness and the fear of flying with these blocked ears and nose and oh...

Come on, let's do it.
What?
The Nasenspüler.
What? Hahahaha.
My friend is laughing. He knows how yucky it is.
No.
Come on, trust me
says the BIL, it will make it better.
I'm not going to do it in front of you.
We're practically family
he says, to everyone's amusement. Let's go.

And so it was that I found myself holding a warm pot of salty water, trying to pour it down my nostril, choking and laughing and breathing all together.

And you know what? Round 1 and I felt a whole lot better already.

The next morning I woke up to a better nose. I did it again and felt even better. That evening one of my ears popped open. The next morning the other ear popped open and that evening, I was fine again.

Was it the Neti Pot that cured me? I think so.

Mumbai is a dirty-air city. We always have dirt in the air and I've always felt like I don't get enough Oxygen into my nose.

And so when I returned to Mumbai I started hunting for a Neti-Pot. And no, much as I would have liked it, I was not able to walk into a chemist's and buy it. Many did not know what I was talking about.
Then I went to a larger chemist that supplies homeopathic and ayurvedic medicine and he didn't blink an eye when I asked for a Neti-Pot.
He pulled this out.

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_5714_l.jpg

And now I use this everyday too. It has been almost 2 months now. My nose feels fantastic. It feels like I had a clogged nose for all my life -- and now I breathe easy.

And so ends my rather strange post about using an ancient Yogic technique to keep your breathing system clean. You may laugh about it if you like, I laugh too.
But I had to share.

And if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

God, what kind of information I put out, really, lol.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 16th February 2010 at 00:23.
Old 16th February 2010, 04:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Sam your last post was simply awesome and now i got to go hunting for one neti pot. Used to see my mom use this but she was not able to convince me onto it. But now i got a comment that i snore real bad from someone close and its time i try solving it!!

AMazing read sam. Great to know your better and hoping for more of your travellogues. Always get inspired to write the way you do
Old 16th February 2010, 09:31   #114
BHPian

Sam: After my Sinus surgery in 2001 my doc put me through this as part of the treatment but instead of the Neti-Pot he asked me to buy a big size Syringe fill it with Saline Water and do the same what your BIL told you.

As stated by you it really helps, so whenever I have a nose block out comes my Syringe for a saline wash

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 16th February 2010 at 09:32. Reason: Spelling Check
Old 16th February 2010, 09:52   #115
BHPian

Quote:
So this is how it works.

Strangely, it's Indian. It is a part of Yoga. It comes from here and we don't do it. And an Indian guy goes to Germany and learns about the Neti Pot from a German who does it religiously. Every single day.

O.T: My dad used to do Jal-neti using similar neti pot but made of copper (Just add that long nose/pipe thingy to a traditional Lotta).Its a real majic that follows Neti; the instant results.In the past my dad had phlegm in his nostrils and throat all year long for years and he followed yoga's neti religiously and it never came back. Strange enough, dad's yoga guru used a thin cotton rope to perform neti (called Sutra-neti). Once you master Jalneti, Sutraneti is next. for going in more details.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:32   #116
Senior - BHPian

I would like to see the pic of Yeti performing Neti!!.

Leave aside funny part, its learning lesson about the Neti from Yeti.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 16th February 2010 at 10:33.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:42   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Oh the usual. 500gigs on the laptop, 300 on the imac, 4X200 gig externals, 2X500gig externals and 1X640 gig. Nothing special.
and how many have you employed to maintain these?

A good informative post on the neti pot. It is also sad that many of our heritage, history and culture are better understood and followed by foreigners than in india.

btw, Is there any other Indian name to 'neti' pot.

Last edited by ikoneer : 16th February 2010 at 10:52.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:22   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
btw, Is there any other Indian name to 'neti' pot.
No, that is the Indian name. It is Jal-Neti or Jal-niti and this is called a Neti or Niti Pot.

I was able to buy this for 50 rupees. Works beautifully.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:38   #119
Senior - BHPian

Sam,

I would love a demo of the Neti from you please. I need to do this - my nose is clogged always.

PLEASE.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:47   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Sam,

I would love a demo of the Neti from you please. I need to do this - my nose is clogged always.

PLEASE.
If you're serious, I'd be happy to. Don't worry, if you do it regularly there no gunk coming out, lol.

I'll even buy it for you. Next time we meet. Trust me, if you do this once a day, you will not have a clogged nose. Years of wisdom boy, that's what Yoga is. It will eventually become as important as brushing your teeth.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 16th February 2010 at 12:49.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks