Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 13:35   #121
Senior - BHPian

Wow demo of Neti by the Yeti

Yes its called Jal Neti & my Grandpa must have told me 100 times to do this to get relief from my blocked nose due to sinus but I couldnt muster enough courage to do it ever
Old 16th February 2010, 16:37   #122
BHPian

Went through the thread in one go and as usual fantastic narration, keep up the good work.
Old 16th February 2010, 16:41   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - Thursday 31st December 2009

It's New Year's eve, or Silvester as it is called here. We're still in Bad Nauheim.

I'm not complaining, I like the place and the company. Besides my friend Klaus is here.
Today we will go buy some stuff for tonight's dinner-party.

But first, we must show Klaus our beautiful town.

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4623_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4624_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4625_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4626_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4629_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4631_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4630_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4632_l.jpg

This evening will be a lot of fun, with family.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:11   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No, that is the Indian name. It is Jal-Neti or Jal-niti and this is called a Neti or Niti Pot.

I was able to buy this for 50 rupees. Works beautifully.
It is indeed called Jal-Neti. There is one more that you do with a string of threads and its called Sutra-Neti. BTW very informative post on Neti.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll even buy it for you. Next time we meet. Trust me, if you do this once a day, you will not have a clogged nose. Years of wisdom boy, that's what Yoga is. It will eventually become as important as brushing your teeth.
I was going to say that. It's more like an exercise than a cure. An untrained nose can catch cold the first time it's tried.

and there are multiple version. one nose to another, nose to stomach, mouth to nose (worst, you fee like drowning).

Here in US it' called nasal irrigation, done with just a few drops of salt water. works very well especially with kids.

yoga also has similar rituals for cleansing bowels, again various routes, top to bottom, bottom to bottom (enema), thankfully no bottom to top .

The Yoga Cleansing Techniques

now let's get back to Germany and the yogic neti, I mean yeti.
Old 17th February 2010, 09:27   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Just a question: curious to know what kind of HD memory your laptop and desktop are loaded with, considering a 5% photos posted through our forum here. Thanks.
Actually, I missed out one important thing. Only 30% to 40% of my trips and travels are converted into travelogues. The rest just stay with me as memories and photos.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:08   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I missed out one important thing. Only 30% to 40% of my trips and travels are converted into travelogues. The rest just stay with me as memories and photos.
Thats cool.. but it will be great if you can post a photolog for the remaining 60%.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:08   #128
BHPian

Neti Pot Demo

WOW. I got myself a neti pot and the thought of it made me feel YUCK. But this is magic, I "always" have clogged nose because of pollution and dust. Couple of days of neti pot before shower in the morning has cleared my nostril.

Now I feel as if there is plenty more oxygen to breathe .

Thanks to the yogic Yeti.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:22   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
WOW. I got myself a neti pot and the thought of it made me feel YUCK. But this is magic, I "always" have clogged nose because of pollution and dust. Couple of days of neti pot before shower in the morning has cleared my nostril.

Thanks to the yogic Yeti.
Great work musicvj. So we now have a new convert! Trust me, with the high level of dust in our air, I seem to have found the perfect solution to all my problems.

Apart from breathing easy, another important thing has happened. The urge to clean or dig your nose. Much as we don't like to talk about it, all of us at some point have an itchy nose inside and often, well, boogers.

Thanks to the Neti Pot, I find my nostrils clean and almost never itchy. A lot better than trying to discretely dig my nose.

You know, I knew we'd be discussing snow and Germany, but never thought we would have such an excellent discussion about a stuffed nose. But I am glad.
If you take this good fact away from this YetiBlog®, I'll still be pleased as a punch.

Last few posts coming up soon.
Old 17th February 2010, 19:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
After that I would like you to shift your attention to the Landy. Enjoyed this travelogue/holidaying thoroughly.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:29   #131
BHPian

Quote:
When's the next update?
Old 19th February 2010, 10:52   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - Thursday 31st December 2009 - New Year's eve

We start early as usual, with dinner.

I think this is a massive culture difference between Indian parties and western, especially European.

Allow me to explain:
--------------------------------------------------------
In a typical scenario like New Year's eve, everyone will come early and on time, arriving early (like 6.30 or 7) depending on the time they've been invited.

If your host asks you to come at 6.30, it is good manners to show up at 6.30, acceptable to show up by 6.45 and totally rude to come by 7.

Not here in India, no. If you invite people to come say "by 8" people come after 9. If you invite someone to dinner at 8ish and he shows up at 8 -- chances are you're still in the bathroom with shaving cream on your face.
If you're a man.

I think an important part of this punctuality lies in the fact that in a party/ social get-together in Germany, dinner is served almost as soon as you set foot in the house.
And it is almost always a comfortable long seated-on-the-table sort of scenario and dinner usually goes on for 2 hours.
Which means that if you're late:
  • Either everyone is waiting for you at the table. Embarassing.
  • Or worse, dinner will be over by the time you get there.

In contrast, in India at a social get-together, dinner usually marks the end of the festivities. Once dinner is served, there is no more dancing or drinking. There are conversations and dessert.
Usually the music is also over, leaving you to here the clinking of forks and plates.

It is also the same when you invite someone home. Since there is no "agenda" the guest usually comes at his own pace and usually at least an hour late.
You greet him with conversations and snacks (mostly fried) -- I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just our way.
Many paneer tikkas and kababs and chips and possibly a salad with dip (if you're cool, like) later, you serve dinner. And once again this means, no ore drinks, no more snacks, no more dancing (if there was any), time to clink forks on plates, eat your dessert and be off.

We have literally no agenda post dinner. Save a few random conversations.

So when TheOne® moved to India and a few of my friends came by for a social evening, she quickly set dinner out at 8pm on the table and said "Dinner is served!"
My friends were totally confused and looked at me asking if I wanted to get rid of them in a hurry, lol.

No in complete contrast, a German social evening would begin with dinner, say by 7. By 9, much has been consumed and there is general merriment. By 9 the guests usually help the host to clear out the table.
Then everyone sits around the house, listening to music and general merriment. Of course at no point is the food as heavy as typical Indian food.

In fact by about 10 or 11, the chips and peanuts come out. Yes, after dinner. There are no fried, heavy snacks, it's mostly chips and crackers and stuff. And chocolate too. The evening progresses with chit-chat and dancing and games and the usual consumption. Goes on till 2 or 3 am. You end up with 7 to 8 hours of merriment.

It's a culture thing. And that's the wonderful thing about this world.

-------------------------------------------------------

Everyone shows up by 7 and we finish dinner. Tonight there will be TheOne®'s siblings, all of them and almost all their partners (one will arrive later)

We've started the evening early with some rather enjoyable board games.

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4633_l.jpg

Tonight the plan is not to have a typical sit down dinner, instead opting for a family favourite, Pizza night!
I love pizza night. There is a bucket full of pizza dough, all the various toppings, various cheeses, olives, meats, corn, onions, pineapple and more.

You want to eat, get up, roll your own pizza, top it and put it in the pizza mini oven. 10 to 12 minutes later, Voila. Your own tasty, shapeless pizza.

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4639_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4641_l.jpg

The pizza stuff is out all night so any time you're hungry, you make one yourself.
Yeah sometimes it's a bit annoying, yes, to get up in the middle of the merriment and get your hands all white with flour and use a belan to make the pizza.
That's when you beg.

Make me one na?
Make it yourself.
Make na!?
Everyone's making their own pizza, Sam. Go to the kitchen and make one.
I DID! I made two!
So? Make the third one then.
You make na!? Pleeease! Bahbeee?

It works usually. Then I get a pizza with big eyes. But it doesn't always work.

The evening goes on. We now play Dumb Charades. It's another favourite.

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4642_l.jpg

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th February 2010 at 10:53.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:23   #133
BHPian

Quote:
We start early as usual, with dinner.

I think this is a massive culture difference between Indian parties and western, especially European.

Attachment 290984
Most importantly in such parties/dinners you don't get force fed by relatives/aunties. You eat what and how much you feel like. I have a lean physique and on dinners in India I have faced force feeding numerous times. I never experienced this with my European relatives(they are NRIs and follow their local culture).
Old 19th February 2010, 15:59   #134
BHPian

Wait a minute? Did I just find a Yeti Blog/Travelogue in progress? Well, I'll be damned. Cursing myself for checking this out too early - Now I'll have to wait till the next installment - and then wait for another and another and another.
Never thought i'll be in time to post in one of the Blogs of THE YETI :-)

And the Harley being registered only From March to October part? I think that could be because the rest of the year (major part) would have slippery roads due to the snow.
In the land where you have to use a 4X4 on the normal roads (Ref: the Pajero in the driveway), A two wheeler with some massive torque under your belt could prove to be disastrous. And could save you some Vitamin M on the taxes too.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th February 2010 at 17:25.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:27   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy New Year!

We have a lot of fun playing charades and time flies.
YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4654_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4659_l.jpg

Before we know it, it's a few minutes to midnight. Everyone has bought a lot of fireworks, it is almost like Diwali here in New Years.

Sure enough the kids light up their sparklers and we all wait for it to be 12:00

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4666blur_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4670_l.jpg

FÜNF...

VIER...

DREI...

ZWEI...

EINS...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4694_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4695_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4697_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4665blur_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4681_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_46861_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4691_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_46871_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4690_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4699_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_47041_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Snow, Germany and a Rather Blocked Nose-dsc_4716_l.jpg

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th February 2010 at 18:28.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks