Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 18:05   #106
BHPian

Just Awesome pics. I am drooling.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:52   #107
BHPian

Awesome Pics. Everytime I see your photographs, I always have that inner urge to visit that place. Would surely love to visit this place and before visiting this place, shall surely meet you in person for some ideas. Keep those pics coming, would love to see more of the striped Beast.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd February 2010 at 15:38.
Old 19th February 2010, 21:17   #108
BHPian

Fazal Saab, awesome pics like always!!! Abheek thanks to you too for the lovely pics. I felt very happy seeing the tigers. While reading the posts, I read that Pench is considered a healthy reserve for tigers. That was very good news So my next trip will be to Pench.

Talking about the more serious issue, which is conservation of Tigers in AP, I support each and every word that our senior BHPians have written here. I too felt very bad especially after my trip to Corbett earlier this year, coz I felt that Srisailam could be developed in a similar manner, which would help make the forests around a better place for the tigers and also will help control the idiots who go to these jungles litter, drink, throw bottles around and come back thinking they went on a picnic or booze party to some park.

Please count me in if someone here is taking an initiative in preserving the tigers of our land. I agree with DKG that it's really shameful to realise that just 200 kms from Hyd., we have reserve forest yet, no active part is being played by the Govt., and frankly speaking no one really cares about the tigers in AP. I strongly feel that developing the Srisailam reserve on similar lines as Corbett park will be a good way of providing employment to local people and those who want to do something for the Tigers, who in turn will be encouraged to ensure that Tigers remain in the jungle as that would be related to increased tourism that affects their own means of living. I think some forest official who is really interested in preserving Tigers should visit places like Corbett and Pench and try and implement few similar ideas in and around Srisailam, which would probably make people treat these forests more seriously.

I'm sure there must be a few tigers deep in the jungles of Srisailam reserve, somewhere, but for how long.... no one knows!
Old 20th February 2010, 00:25   #109
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. This is exhilarating to say the least !!
Old 20th February 2010, 02:18   #110
BHPian

The Tiger's Camouflage..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The more I see such fabulous shots of wildlife in these reserves I am saddened at how far behind the forests in AP have fallen.

If any of you are actively involved/associated with agencies responsible for forest and wildlife conservations I would like to hear about ground realities of making things work.
If you are interested I will put you in touch with some very serious amateurs here in Nagpur - basically the larger group to which I belong - who may be able to help in getting a blueprint ready if something concrete needs to be done. For the knowledge of everybody on this forum this larger group (Ekjoot team) has been successful in stopping a coal mine from coming up right in the heart of the Tadoba forest. . You can check out about this group and its activities on Save Tadoba Tiger Reserve . This is basically a consortium of NGO's from Chandrapur and Nagpur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
You guys are really lucky to have the forest so close to home. We need to travel 1100kms to get there
Tank up and come over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Awesome shots, love those tiger pictures. Dont stop, keep them coming!!
At your service....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
I am coming!
Awesome shots, the tiger cubs and the waterholes. You captured the beauty of Pench.
The water falling from the marsh deer's mouth is more pronounced due to the sun behind it, very well captured.
When you saw the three cubs again, did you see the fourth one? We too had seen only three.
Regards,
Yes sir this time we saw even the fourth cub which was sitting slightly away from the other 3. I am again going there on sunday afternoon to collect some data.

Quote:
Dr. Sen,
[b]Where is it?

Notice in the pictures as it flattens down to the maximum and only has his head up to assess the distance, weakness and awareness of his intended prey, and how well the coat blends in dry grass.
Attachment 291177
Here is an example of the perfect camouflage from my end. Again the same family the mother and her cubs photographed a few months back in Pench. That was another fabulous sighting . i'll post some interesting pics from that sighting very soon.

For the time being here is just a teaser....
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_1888edit.jpg
Is there a tiger in this pic ? You may open he pic in a separate window and try to see better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Fazal Saab, awesome pics like always!!! Abheek thanks to you too for the lovely pics. I felt very happy seeing the tigers. While reading the posts, I read that Pench is considered a healthy reserve for tigers. That was very good news So my next trip will be to Pench.

I'm sure there must be a few tigers deep in the jungles of Srisailam reserve, somewhere, but for how long.... no one knows!
I am happy that you like the pics. Plan your next trip to pench for sure and be here for atleast 6 drives (3 days).

I want to come down to srisailam and explore the jungle there with all of you and hopefully spot carnivora.

I'll post some more pics from my trip to pench after Fazal saab left tomorrow and carry on the discussion about the tiger's camouflage.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 20th February 2010, 03:16   #111
BHPian

Amazing thread. What a majestic animal. It just blends into its surroundings so well. In the above picture it is so well camouflaged(If I'm not wrong, bottom right).
After going through this thread yesterday, decided to download "tiger - spy in th jungle". Have seen two parts and was blown away. I never knew that Elephants could get so close to tigers. They were almost walking side by side and the technique used to shoot the series is breathtaking. I urge everyone to watch it. Never were tigers captured on reel so closely. Got to go guys, have to watch the third part.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:40   #112
BHPian

Just finished watching the third part, must say "Tiger - Spy in the Jungle" is by far the best, interesting wildlife documentary I have ever seen(I guess I'm biased as tigers are my favourite animal). I don't have any words to describe my feelings.
Finally, I'd like to say only two words....WATCH IT.
Old 20th February 2010, 13:19   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post

Please count me in if someone here is taking an initiative in preserving the tigers of our land.

Saleem_k and all other Hyd T-BHpians,

Your help is needed!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-wildlife.html

Please go through this thread started by DKG and respond, we owe it to our forests, wildlife, our children and our country.

Regards,
Old 20th February 2010, 13:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
I want to come down to srisailam and explore the jungle there with all of you and hopefully spot carnivora.
regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Dr. Ghosh,
Looking forward to your visit here.

The teaser picture is awesome, showing the master of the art of stealth and camouflage.

Regards,
Old 20th February 2010, 14:45   #115
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saleem_k and all other Hyd T-BHpians,

Your help is needed!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-wildlife.html

Please go through this thread started by DKG and respond, we owe it to our forests, wildlife, our children and our country.

Regards,
Thanks Fazal, do please indicate the number of people from your core group who would be interested in participating. Am hoping Dr Ghosh makes it too. And Dr Sengupta !
Old 20th February 2010, 14:58   #116
BHPian

continuing the discussion on camouflage...

Continuing the discussion about the tiger's camouflage, here are some more pics from my end which demonstrates how the deer might be looking at the last pic that I posted.

Since the deer is colour blind and can see only shades of grey I have converted the same pic to greyscale and here is how probably the deer sees the same image :

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_1888edit2.jpg

We can see that the tiger is almost invisible to the deer.

Applying the same principal, if one renders the pic of the tiger in tadoba shot by max ali posted by fazal saab to greyscale, We can see that again the tiger is almost invisible to the deer :

original pic
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-dsc_0314-1.jpg

greyscale
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-dsc_0314.jpg

This is being a wonderful discussion on the topic of camouflage.
I invite your comments and your inputs on my line of reasoning.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Old 20th February 2010, 16:41   #117
Senior - BHPian

And at close quarters...(photographed at Pench).

Our vision
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5447.jpg
Deer's vision
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5447a.jpg

But, the highly acute sense of smell and hearing make up for the lack of colour vision.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 20th February 2010 at 16:50.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Dr. Abheek and Fazal for this wonderful travelogue. I wish and pray that we human beings become less greedy and these and other magnifcent animals survive and thrive in our jungles. I have always loved the jungles.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 20th February 2010 at 16:49.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:53   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Thank you Dr. Abheek and Fazal for this wonderful travelogue. I wish and pray that we human beings become less greedy and these and other magnifcent animals survive and thrive in our jungles. I have always loved the jungles.
-Biju
Biju,
Thank you.
The greed of centuries has taken its toll and continues, to reverse, it more than being 'less greedy' is needed.
Regards,
Old 20th February 2010, 21:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

In continuation...
A swamp deer in shade, Tadoba.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5165.jpg
Full grown spotted deer stag, Tadoba.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5431.jpg
Brahmini ducks in a waterhole, Pench.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5375.jpg
Another yawn, Pench.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5636.jpg
...and a roll
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5538.jpg
...and another roll.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5589.jpg
Weaver bird?
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5252.jpg
Langurs knitting the social fabric, Pench.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5323.jpg
This is the view from the forest the mother tigress has sheltered her 4 sub-adult cubs in (photographed from the elephant back, earlier posted) keeping in mind the grand view of water, potential danger and prey, Pench.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5385.jpg
Langur, resting all limbs, Tadoba.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5442.jpg
Serpent eagle looking for prey before sundown, Pench.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5342.jpg
A crested egret, in very early morning, Tadoba.
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-img_5129.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks