Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 22:19   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I do not want to hijack the original thread here but could not resist the temptation of posting one of Kaunda walking towards our Gypsy. Thankfully the big guy was just a huge pussy cat who had no interest in us.
@SPARKled - Lucky you. I always thought about something similar (like jeep failing and tiger coming) whenever I went to safari...but you are damn lucky. And a very nice shot. I am jealous.
Old 6th March 2010, 03:37   #182
BHPian

The Tiger of the skies....

Quote:
Loved your photos. Hope I get some good shots when I go to Bandhavgarh this month end. Pench and Tadoba are next on my radar.
Quote:
Good animal sightings have become very rare in Kanha. Bandhavgarh is a much better bet. I was at Kanha the last december and compared to 2007 December the animal sightings have dropped significantly.
On your way back you must definitely stop over for atleast a day in Pench.
Although you have sureshot tiger sightings in bandhavgad, but the tigers of pench and tadoba seem more wild. You must come to these parks to experience that.

Kanha and Pench are places to go to if you want to see that fairytale forest which your saw in your dreams as a child.

Good animal sightings are all about planning and proper preparation.
If you are talking about good tiger sightings, then I will say that good tiger sightings can be had on any day if you know the habit of the particular tiger whom you have planned to see. The trick lies in tracking the animal with an expert who's known his every move and can virtually predict his location if your timing is right.
If you move with a proper plan and a knowledgeable naturalist like Lallan (at Pench) , Bandu (at Tadoba), Radheshyam (at Nagzira) , Sanju (at Navegaon) or Ramashankar (at Kanha) you can see a lot more than mere Tigers in these parks.
Fazal saab is a testimony to this statement of mine. It was the mere intuition of Lallan, knowledge of the Tigress' habits and proper timing to catch her in her siesta time - which resulted in the fabulous sighting of the Tigress at Pench whose photographs are at the beginning of this thread.

Its an ongoing effort of Wildcats to make the general tiger centric tourist experience the overall jungle experience.
I invite you to the jungles with me.
Let me know if you need any help in planning your trip to Bandhavgad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post

Anyone has information on recent sightings at Kanha ?
We have started a new feature on our site www.wildcatsnatureclub.com which will have news of all recent interesting sightings from the central indian parks in the near future. Infact I request all frequent visitors to the jungles to register on this site and contribute to this new feature of logging details of interesting sightings for everyone's benefit. Wildcats can take care of the central indian sightings, while all of can help me build the database of south india !!! (Thats unleashing the power of team bhp for you)

Quote:
I do not want to hijack the original thread here but could not resist the temptation of posting one of Kaunda walking towards our Gypsy. Thankfully the big guy was just a huge pussy cat who had no interest in us.
Most amazing photograph sir.... would have turned into a winner had you taken the photograph a little low so as to get a eye level shot of the king.

Continuing with the Pench saga, last sunday I was back (this time at the jamtara gate in the chhindwara range of the tiger reserve) with the intention of photographing the Tiger of the skies.
I have returned back with a few jewels. Presenting to you all the various moods of the Crested Serpent Eagle, the Tiger of the skies !!

Crested Serpent Eagle Calling

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-cse-calling.jpg

Crested Serpent Eagle Flight
(click on this photo to open this full size and then zoom in)
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-cse-flight-copy.jpg

Crested Serpent Eagle Silouhette

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-cse-maccham.jpg

My Gypsy and the Pench river

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-gypsy-pench-river.jpg

When I have such sightings and photographs, I can do without a tiger !!
Critiques and comments welcome.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 6th March 2010 at 03:52.
Old 6th March 2010, 07:42   #183
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,
The serpent eagle photographs have a very surreal quality, the pp done well and the bird in flight have all come out very good, so did the one by the hut.
You are taking wildlife photography to a new level. Gypsy looks good by the water.
Whats the water situation there, especially at Tadoba, I heard animals are moving out towards Moharli, is it true?

Undoubtedly, your advice about premeditated and planned sighting for tigers, panthers or any animal increases the success rate greatly, like we had coordinated our trip with you and shared logistics about 10 days before we started.

PS. get your lens cleaned.

Regards,
Old 6th March 2010, 09:07   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
The serpent eagle photographs have a very surreal quality, the pp done well and the bird in flight have all come out very good, so did the one by the hut.
You are taking wildlife photography to a new level.

Whats the water situation there, especially at Tadoba, I heard animals are moving out towards Moharli, is it true?

PS. get your lens cleaned.

Regards,
Thank you for your appreciation sir.

I don't have a first hand info on the water level situation in tadoba range at present. However I am planning to go to tadoba this evening for 2 drives tomorrow. I was informed by Bandu that yesterday evening a tigress with 3 three month old cubs were spotted near the main road in the moharli range. Will come back with more reports tomorrow.
You are right sir. frequent lens changes is depositing a lot of dust on the mirror of my 20d.
Old 6th March 2010, 11:15   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Thank you for your appreciation sir.

I don't have a first hand info on the water level situation in tadoba range at present. However I am planning to go to tadoba this evening for 2 drives tomorrow. I was informed by Bandu that yesterday evening a tigress with 3 three month old cubs were spotted near the main road in the moharli range. Will come back with more reports tomorrow.
You are right sir. frequent lens changes is depositing a lot of dust on the mirror of my 20d.
More than the mirror it is the censor which accumulates dust particles, a very common problem with lens changes or if the rubber seal on lens is not doing its intended job. Wishing you the best with the mother and three cubs, wish I was there too.
Regards,
Old 6th March 2010, 12:41   #186
BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,

Do you have any recommendation of a reliable rental car / taxi company in Nagpur which rents out car (w/ driver) for multi-day trips to MP's parks ?

How can Lallan (Pench) be contacted for safari drives ? Any contact number ?

I visited most of the national parks in India and keep visiting them often - I must say that Central Indian parks at Kanha and Pench are some of the finest we have in our country. I, however, don't like the traffic jams within the park - MP govt should do something to reduce the safari traffic within the park. South Indian parks are somewhat better in containing the tourist traffic - this improves the quality of overall experience.
Old 6th March 2010, 18:33   #187
BHPian

Vow, you actually saw some elusive tigers! Congrats.
Old 6th March 2010, 23:10   #188
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, Mr. Max Ali has sighted and photographed a family...tigress with 4 cubs between 3-4 months old, in Tadoba.

This is great news about a the family in these very dangerous times for the tigers in India.

Will post pics when they get to me.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 6th March 2010 at 23:13.
Old 7th March 2010, 10:51   #189
BHPian

tigress with cub in tadoba and planned workshop at tadoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Dr. Ghosh,

Do you have any recommendation of a reliable rental car / taxi company in Nagpur which rents out car (w/ driver) for multi-day trips to MP's parks ?

How can Lallan (Pench) be contacted for safari drives ? Any contact number ?
Your entire trip can be arranged directly by Wildcats. Please get in touch with Varun (wildcat-2) on 09970263322 and give him my reference. You can alternatively send me a pm with the rough plan too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Vow, you actually saw some elusive tigers! Congrats.
Central india is the place to be to see tigers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Yesterday, Mr. Max Ali has sighted and photographed a family...tigress with 4 cubs between 3-4 months old, in Tadoba.

This is great news about a the family in these very dangerous times for the tigers in India.

Will post pics when they get to me.
Affirmative. There was a fantastic sighting yesterday. Female from tadoba with 4 cubs. Here is a pic courtesy Mr. Max Ali .

Photography by Max Ali
Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-5cubsoftadoba.jpg

I am currently in Tadoba organising my upcoming Wildlife Photography Workshop.

I will be in Tadoba from 11th to 15th March initially going around the park and then conducting the workshop. attached here is the details of the workshop.

Tadoba, Pench forests, wildlife and 4 tigers!-tadoba-workshop-poster-copy2.jpg

More details on the site www.wildcatsnatureclub.com

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 7th March 2010, 16:01   #190
BHPian

This thread is really awesome and the pictures speak for themselves. I can understand how much of a wonderful experience and joy you guys might have had when you took those pictures.
Old 7th March 2010, 19:41   #191
Senior - BHPian

@abheekg: Awesome photographs sir. Really like the PP.

We were expecting you in Kawal WLS yesterday but now I know what was keeping you busy.

I look forward to getting my 101 on the Tiger Conservation from you sometime post monsoon during my visit to Tadoba & Pench.

Cheers
Old 8th March 2010, 12:40   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
On your way back you must definitely stop over for atleast a day in Pench.
Although you have sureshot tiger sightings in bandhavgad, but the tigers of pench and tadoba seem more wild. You must come to these parks to experience that.

Kanha and Pench are places to go to if you want to see that fairytale forest which your saw in your dreams as a child.

Most amazing photograph sir.... would have turned into a winner had you taken the photograph a little low so as to get a eye level shot of the king.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Thanks!! Unfortunately I couldn't get any lower without leaving the Gypsy which was out of the question. Shooting conditions were not very good and I was getting about 1/140 at 2.8 at ISO 1600 with a 180mm lens which also did not have IS or VR.
Yes I am definitely going to Pench/Tadoba come winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
@SPARKled - Lucky you. I always thought about something similar (like jeep failing and tiger coming) whenever I went to safari...but you are damn lucky. And a very nice shot. I am jealous.
Thanks Vinay but seriously the situation had become very tense and the guide had started shivering while the driver was sweating profusely in his attempt to start the Gypsy. I stopped clicking after a while as the tiger got closer as anything could have happened then and I wanted to avoid any kind of a sound to attract his attention. The tiger seeing that his way is blocked by our Gypsy took off towards the forest after coming as close 10 feet to rear of the Gypsy. Miraculously the Gypsy started almost immediately after the tiger turned left into the forest.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:54   #193
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Dr Ghosh for some reason I find the pictures too doctered. I don't know if its my eyes but they seem too tampered with and lose their natural appeal. Do you know why these are the way they appear here?
Old 8th March 2010, 17:10   #194
BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,
I will be in Kanha during the last week April for 4 days and would like to visit Pench & Tadoba (if possible). Hope thats a good time to be in these places.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:45   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
I will be in Kanha during the last week April for 4 days and would like to visit Pench & Tadoba (if possible). Hope thats a good time to be in these places.
Summer is always a good time to visit these tigers reserves. As water holes dry up and the shrub and bushes too disappear quite a bit. So animal sightings definitely increase especially around larger water holes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks