Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 21:26   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Thanks buddy. What the plan for the week end. lets meet some where with family.
No plans as of now. This weekend is a bit hectic with some office and personal work. Shall keep you posted on any development. BTW ItMyLife has some good news.
Old 26th March 2010, 08:46   #47
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
No plans as of now. This weekend is a bit hectic with some office and personal work. Shall keep you posted on any development. BTW ItMyLife has some good news.
Ok. Got the news from ItMyLife. Its party time man.
Old 28th March 2010, 17:14   #48
BHPian

I am planning to do this trip in the last week of May. Have been able to convince family for this trip. Only concern that comes up is my Hyundai Accent has stock tyres which are not tubeless. Tyres are in good condition. Is it safe to drive on this stretch during day time? Are there any puncture repair shops on the way?
Do the tyres get hot during such long drives?
I have done Delhi-Chandigarh and Delhi-Amritsar before never done such a long trip, hence these questions.
Old 29th March 2010, 07:36   #49
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I am planning to do this trip in the last week of May. Have been able to convince family for this trip. Only concern that comes up is my Hyundai Accent has stock tyres which are not tubeless. Tyres are in good condition. Is it safe to drive on this stretch during day time? Are there any puncture repair shops on the way?
Do the tyres get hot during such long drives?
I have done Delhi-Chandigarh and Delhi-Amritsar before never done such a long trip, hence these questions.
Abeer,
There are a lot of puncture tyres en-route. Until you are really travelling a very high speeds ie 120 + i don't think your stock tyres will be an issue.

End of may, it will be very hot in Rajasthan. The major hurdle will be peak summer, if you plan to travel in day time. Even now when we travelled 12 - 4 was pretty hot and dust strom is common. Try planning you drive at night.

v&v
Old 29th March 2010, 10:38   #50
BHPian

I want to avoid night driving as I am not comfortable with the route.
I might touch 100+ on long empty stretches but not 120+
My only concern was the stock tyres of my car. Not sure if they will be able to handle the 900+ Kms.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:04   #51
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My only concern was the stock tyres of my car. Not sure if they will be able to handle the 900+ Kms.
abeer,
Roads are very good. Only check the condition of tubes, change those which have puncture and carry extra tube as precaution. No need to worry about stock tyres.

v&v
Old 29th March 2010, 12:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry, Hyundai Accent is a good vehicle. Tubeless tyres are a recent entry and people used to do this in vehicles like Amby & Fiat with tubed tyres.

I did this sector in June 2006 in my Tata Safari, that had tubed tyres. I suffered a puncture only in Ankleshwar enroute to Mumbai. That too I discovered while filling gas.

My advice: Rajasthan & Gujarat would be searing hot. Pick up the self sealing liquid (I'm forgetting the name) from any good tyre shop and fill in all the 5 tyres. Keep a good reliable air pressure gauge and a foot or electric air pump.

Now the most important suggestion: Fill 5 pounds less than the normal air in your tyres. As the heat & friction increases, the air will expand to its normal. You don't have to worry much.

Have a happy journey. And what's a road journey if not without any adventure?

Quote:

Last edited by gd1418 : 29th March 2010 at 12:58.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Pick up the self sealing liquid (I'm forgetting the name) from any good tyre shop and fill in all the 5 tyres.
The liquid is known as "Slime". However as far as I noticed abeer mentions tubed tyres. Where would the liquid be used? I thought Slime was mainly for tubeless. Please correct if I'm missing something
Old 30th March 2010, 09:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

wonderful trip.

BTW I feel cell holder on the front windshield is not in good position, in case of sudden braking or collision, your face might directly hit it.
Old 30th March 2010, 10:26   #55
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The liquid is known as "Slime". However as far as I noticed abeer mentions tubed tyres. Where would the liquid be used? I thought Slime was mainly for tubeless. Please correct if I'm missing something
rideon,
Slime can be used in both tubed and tubeless tyres. But is this officially available in India ?
They have one product call smart spair which also include as 300 psi air compressor. I think it will be good for our safari too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wonderful trip.

BTW I feel cell holder on the front windshield is not in good position, in case of sudden braking or collision, your face might directly hit it.
Thanks rkbharat for your concern, the cell holder is positioned in the center of driver and passenger seat. it a good 12 to 15 inches away from driver seat. It had to research a lot to find the optimum position in order to place the same so that when i use the gps, i does not hinder my driving too.

v&v
Old 30th March 2010, 12:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought Slime was mainly for tubeless. Please correct if I'm missing something
You are correct - Slime is for tubeless & to the best of my knowledge, doesn't do anything for the tubed variety.

I also think Slime is a colossal waste of money but that's just MHO - no offense to all our friends using Slime

Last edited by suman : 30th March 2010 at 12:03.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:17   #57
BHPian

If Slime is for tubeless and I have Tube tyres, is there anything that I can use apart from carrying a foot pump and extra tube?
Are there any kits available in the market that I can use to replace the tube? because as I understand one side of the tyre needs to be taken out of the steel rim to take out the old tube and put the new tube in.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

It seems you are worrying too much. At the best of times you can't change a tube by yourself. Installing a stepney is lot easier. If you are so paranoid, carry another stepney in the boot..

Quote:
If Slime is for tubeless and I have Tube tyres, is there anything that I can use apart from carrying a foot pump and extra tube?
Are there any kits available in the market that I can use to replace the tube? because as I understand one side of the tyre needs to be taken out of the steel rim to take out the old tube and put the new tube in.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:01   #59
BHPian

That is what my backup plan was. I have already spoken to my collegue who also owns Hyundai Accent and he has agreed to it.
Old 31st March 2010, 08:45   #60
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
You are correct - Slime is for tubeless & to the best of my knowledge, doesn't do anything for the tubed variety.

I also think Slime is a colossal waste of money but that's just MHO - no offense to all our friends using Slime
suman,

Slime can be used for both tubed and tubeless tyres as per there website faq.
here is the link for the same.

SLIME - Faq

v&v

Last edited by v&v : 31st March 2010 at 08:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks