Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:37   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swifted : Nelliyampathy via Valparai

Hey Valparai lovers, any latest update on the road condition of Valparai - Sholayar - Vazhachaal - Athirampally ?

Valparai is in to do list since the time Lalus posted this TL and it never happened due to various family priorities. Now I moved from Bangalore to Kochi and the pinch is still there.

We, a team of 5 collegues are planning a oneday "Click 'n'drive" through the below route this 19th. Suggestions welcome. Not sure Lalu did it again by this time

Any latest updates Mallumougli or HVK?

Last edited by jacs : 3rd January 2013 at 15:38.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:40   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hey Valparai lovers, any latest update on the road condition of Valparai - Sholayar - Vazhachaal - Athirampally ?
I had taken this route before 2012 Xmas.
First 20km stretch after Malakkapara-Kerala-CP when coming from Valparai is not that good. Afterwards roads are very good.

I believe Valparai will be more scenic after the monsoons, than now.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:43   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I had taken this route before 2012 Xmas.
First 20km stretch after Malakkapara-Kerala-CP when coming from Valparai is not that good. Afterwards roads are very good.

I believe Valparai will be more scenic after the monsoons, than now.
Hi Twiny,

Thanks for the update. Infact we kept on postponing and thats why trying to make atleast a quick trip for now and discover in detail later .

Also did you experinece Valparai - Pollachi route?
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:52   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Also did you experinece Valparai - Pollachi route?
Yes I had took Perundurai-Pollachi-Valparai route from Bangalore.. roads are good.

Pollachy-Vadakkenchery also good. But if you r doing round trip, I heard one can turn off at Aliyar to proceed to Vadakkenchery.. not sure of road conditions. (Ghat section starts/ends at Aliyar)
Twiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:29   #275
Senior - BHPian

Jacs, I know only about the Valparai-Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Alathur stretch and this stretch is good.

The route suggested by Twiny - turn off at Aliyar to the Pollachi Palakkad route - will also be interesting, if you are taking your Xylo. Roads were not that good (am talking about conditions 3 years back), but the scenery more than made up for that. My 3G connection is acting up - shall send a detailed route info after connecting to broad band
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:20   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Valparai is in to do list since the time Lalus posted this TL and it never happened due to various family priorities. Now I moved from Bangalore to Kochi and the pinch is still there.

We, a team of 5 collegues are planning a oneday "Click 'n'drive" through the below route this 19th. Suggestions welcome. Not sure Lalu did it again by this time
I almost did it last week, but for the last minute deviation went to to the upper most green region of Kerala and then on to the beaches of Goa!!!
Old 5th January 2013, 09:02   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Yes I had took Perundurai-Pollachi-Valparai route from Bangalore.. roads are good.

Pollachy-Vadakkenchery also good. But if you r doing round trip, I heard one can turn off at Aliyar to proceed to Vadakkenchery.. not sure of road conditions. (Ghat section starts/ends at Aliyar)
Twiny - If its end of Ghats, better I will stick to good roads unless something very scenic is there in the not so good roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Jacs, I know only about the Valparai-Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Alathur stretch and this stretch is good.

The route suggested by Twiny - turn off at Aliyar to the Pollachi Palakkad route - will also be interesting, if you are taking your Xylo. Roads were not that good (am talking about conditions 3 years back), but the scenery more than made up for that. My 3G connection is acting up - shall send a detailed route info after connecting to broad band
Thanks Praveen. I still have your number handy for any exigencies around Palakkad territory .

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I almost did it last week, but for the last minute deviation went to to the upper most green region of Kerala and then on to the beaches of Goa!!!
Lalu - Now look close is my guess on the TRAVELHOLIC family
Old 5th January 2013, 09:34   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now look close is my guess on the TRAVELHOLIC family
Jacs - blame it on my grey cells. Could not quite get what you meant
Old 5th January 2013, 10:05   #279
BHPian

Quote:

I did Palakkad-Valparai-Palakkad in December. Well you dont need to even touch Pollachi. Turn after Aliyar towards Kottur, then Anamalai Village (the other side of this junction takes you to TopSlip), then touch the Pollachi-Meenakshipuram route. You would save a few kms and the roads are good with not much traffic.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:43   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I did Palakkad-Valparai-Palakkad in December. Well you dont need to even touch Pollachi. Turn after Aliyar towards Kottur, then Anamalai Village (the other side of this junction takes you to TopSlip), then touch the Pollachi-Meenakshipuram route. You would save a few kms and the roads are good with not much traffic.
Sanvsk - can you send a map of the route

Jacs, the route we took, after reaching the plains, skirted the mountains with the forests and mountains on one side and coconut groves on the other other side, finally reaching Anaimalai. It was more than 3 years back and am not able to make in out in google maps - but we were in an Indica cab (more than that it was all-stag team, so no wonder am not able to remember anything!!)

Quote:

Thanks Praveen. I still have your number handy for any exigencies around Palakkad territory
Yes sure and my threat of waylaying you remains!!
Old 5th January 2013, 14:50   #281
BHPian

Quote:
The route was not being highlighted in google as an alternative, hence marked it using the red arrows. After the dam, this is turn around the 2km mark; this takes you from Aliyar to Kottur. The route from Kottur to Meenakshipuram is highlighted in google maps. [ http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...ra=ls&t=m&z=13 ].
Attached Thumbnails
Swifted : Nelliyampathy via Valparai-map.jpg  

sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 11:48   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Jacs - blame it on my grey cells. Could not quite get what you meant
Was just kiddin Lalu, I missed the word "how" in between which confused you. I was making a wild guess that you would have travelled again via this route.

Quote:
Quote:

Jacs, the route we took, after reaching the plains, skirted the mountains with the forests and mountains on one side and coconut groves on the other other side, finally reaching Anaimalai. It was more than 3 years back and am not able to make in out in google maps - but we were in an Indica cab (more than that it was all-stag team, so no wonder am not able to remember anything!!)

Yes sure and my threat of waylaying you remains!!
Quote:
The route was not being highlighted in google as an alternative, hence marked it using the red arrows. After the dam, this is turn around the 2km mark; this takes you from Aliyar to Kottur. The route from Kottur to Meenakshipuram is highlighted in google maps. [ http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...ra=ls&t=m&z=13 ].
Thanks sansvk and mallu. This route will help avoiding Pollachi.
Old 27th June 2016, 10:17   #283
BHPian

Making a very old but beautiful thread alive.

Guys need help. We along with friends family (4 couples with 1 kid each) have a plan to visit Nelliampathy in Sep 2nd week for 2 nights. I heard about Nelliampathy through a colleague (Keralite) and was blown away with the photographs I saw. I came across two stay options at Nelliampathy:

- Green land farm house - http://www.greenlandfarmhouses.com/Default.aspx

- Kailas Plantations - http://www.nelliampathy.in/

Here my questions:

- Anybody know about these places? I checked tripadvisor where Kailas plantations have been ranked very well followed by the Green land farm house.

- How will the weather at Nelliampathy during Sep 2nd week?

- Lastly, what are the sightseeing options nearby?

Thanks in advance.
KK
Old 27th June 2016, 11:03   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
- Green land farm house - http://www.greenlandfarmhouses.com/Default.aspx

- Kailas Plantations - http://www.nelliampathy.in/

Here my questions:

- Anybody know about these places? I checked tripadvisor where Kailas plantations have been ranked very well followed by the Green land farm house.

- How will the weather at Nelliampathy during Sep 2nd week?

- Lastly, what are the sightseeing options nearby?

Thanks in advance.
KK
Kailas is the better option - only problem is the non existent road to reach there. Bhpian Naveen and Jacs have a few photos of the road - if they are reading this they can post here

Greenlands is easiest to approach and the rooms are OK. It also has a farm with pygmy goats, ostriches and such like. Kids may like it

For the sightseeing options - the travelogues here would give you a pretty good idea. It is basically a place to unwind and not somewhere you go to tick of places to see
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 11:09   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Kailas is the better option - only problem is the non existent road to reach there. Bhpian Naveen and Jacs have a few photos of the road - if they are reading this they can post here

Greenlands is easiest to approach and the rooms are OK. It also has a farm with pygmy goats, ostriches and such like. Kids may like it

For the sightseeing options - the travelogues here would give you a pretty good idea. It is basically a place to unwind and not somewhere you go to tick of places to see
Thanks for quick reply mallumowgli. Even I was thinking of Kailas Plantations, but would wait to know about the road conditions. Current plan is to take a TT.

Agree with you on the sight seeing. Only reason for me to choose this place is to spent some quality time away and does not really want to roam around places. But would be interested in visiting tea plantations and the like.

Also any idea on the possible weather during Sep 2nd week?

Regards,
KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 27th June 2016 at 11:09. Reason: Correction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks