Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 16:17   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
90-100 is not a slow speed dear . Its a very good practice to have desciplined speed limits. Keep up your safe driving habbit.

In my Kerala trip experience (I do it atleast 6 times an year), though I drive bit fast (100-120) in Accent or moderate speed (80-100) in Palio it didnt show much difference in terms of total travel time. May be less than an hour saving in the complete trip since we tend to apply brakes more when we speed up and offcourse more strain when we speed high. Not worth the risk taken!
Thats exactly is what is my theory as well. I still have not hit that stage of Nirvana, where one just keeps driving, with food being served on board
(read HVK)! Thats the only way one's averages will improve. Higher speeds dont do the trick.

Another thing which invariably brings down the average is is BF break. Because thats the time you can get the best average and we
waste it away.

But that is also the time, you feel like having a break with a good coffee!

Sorry for that OT.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:22   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The localite while explaining the details of the vela to me saw the Car registration - What KA?? Where did you land here from, where are you off to?? I explained to him my predicament. He says he'll let me pass through!! We spoke to certain police guys, and they said they'll make way for us through the crowd.
We reached the Checkpost by 23:10Pm and said we were at the vela, and hence delayed and we have to go to the resort. The officer smiles and says - Man you are too much!

He advices drive carefully, roads are good but narrow, and some hairpins are steep and sharp turns, and he says he'll call up resort to see we have arrived safely. Made friendship all through the day at all CP, they respect you, if you respect them.

I was carefully negotiating the road, when my wifey says sh... look to the front! I look around and saw a herd of big deer, as big as sambars, dark coloured in the roads. Waited for a while for them to clear, only to be greeted by small deers. Again waiting only to be greeted by wild hares, and again only to be greeted by Owls, and again to be greeted by mongoose. I was like where is the resort, am I into the forest already??
Well its already past midnight and slowly we drove another 3 more kilometers to see the gate to the resort. It was 00:45AM when we parked the car. 833kilometers for the day.

We were quickly greeted by the resort cook, and showed us the room. He says by the time you freshen up he'll make the chapathis that we orderd for. I was floored, at 1:00AM we are being given our food and that too hot hot. That's hospitality - amazing.
By 1:30Am we were having our hot dinner and talking about our adventures. By around 2:30, exactly 24 hours after we started our day we decided to call it quits!!

What a day it has been.
833KM, 24hours of trip, uncertainties, amazing places, a big festival and the most wonderful moments of our life with the fireflies.

Well this is one wonderful day etched in our memories for ever.
Indeed a very remarkable day. Do you know Tamil ?, How did you communicate with the locals / police ? I know that knowling local langaugae helps in such situation.

for the resort cook for serving you hot meal in the middle of the night. Indeed fantastic hospitality.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Khoj, Laluks. Tonight for sure. Two travelogues will start rolling.
Aha, @Khoj, we have some reading to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Quite some experience there Lalu. Driving in the night, getting a lot of help, etc...
Yes Raj. Indeed some nice experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
this travelogues is getting better and better
read through in totality; nice narration there Mr. lalu.
Thanks Mr. Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Very entertaining read - particularly posts #103 & 104. Literally had goosebumps!!

I think Nemmara Vallangi vela is actually a re-enaction of an old war, where a local chieftain with the help of the Bhagavati (the diety) was able to hold of an invasion from external forces
Thanks MM. If you have full details of the festival please post it for us. It was an amazing feeling to be there.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats true I checked. As its NH7/NH47 all the way and about 45-50 Km beyond Pollachi. And no I am NOT venturing in the night to Chalakudy !
The basic reason for me is that I am not comfortable at speeds more than 90-100. Hence my average comes down to around 60-65. Hence it takes more time to reach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
90-100 is not a slow speed dear . Its a very good practice to have desciplined speed limits. Keep up your safe driving habbit.
In my Kerala trip experience (I do it atleast 6 times an year), though I drive bit fast (100-120) in Accent or moderate speed (80-100) in Palio it didnt show much difference in terms of total travel time. May be less than an hour saving in the complete trip since we tend to apply brakes more when we speed up and offcourse more strain when we speed high. Not worth the risk taken!
Quote:
Thats exactly is what is my theory as well. I still have not hit that stage of Nirvana, where one just keeps driving, with food being served on board (read HVK)! Thats the only way one's averages will improve. Higher speeds dont do the trick.

Another thing which invariably brings down the average is is BF break. Because thats the time you can get the best average and we
waste it away.

But that is also the time, you feel like having a break with a good coffee!

Sorry for that OT.
Average of 60-65kmph is very good for the full trip. With my Esteem/Swift I had 50-55kmph average and with Civic 60Kmph for a full trip. Never were able to cross these figures, though in certain parts we'd be doing good speeds.

So the theory stands like you said, what ever you do these are the averages you'll get and are used to. Never try to break that and enjoy the drive than getting tired doing stuffs that we are not used to, except a few tries on safe situations if you feel like it.

Also lesser the breaks better the average and lesser the risks taken. But for this you should be used to. This is also one of the reasons why we chose early morning to start in most of our trips. Also we carry something to much like fruits in the car while we go long distance.

Speed of driving can be 60kmph, 90kmph or 200kmph, the average overall kmph that you can get in our Indian situations is very much limited. Hence we can confirm the theory that it is not speed but the planning of entire trip by way of less breaks and starting times, and traffic patterns which will increase your average. Trying to beat that by speed is suicidal.

HVK has confirmed this in all his logs.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Phew!! That was a pretty exhausting day 1. Looking for more
This place sounds so lovely. I hope I can find some time to experience it atleast once.

Yes addy, that was pretty much an exhausting day.

The place is very lovely. The resort is surrounded in all three sides by the forest and the other side by tea gardens. Early morning and late evenings and night are amazing here as you tend to spot many wild life. The owner was saying I practically soaw nothing compared to the actual wild life there. So I had to get contended by seeing some of his Photographs.

Regarding the fireflies, that is a phenomenon only during summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Indeed a very remarkable day. Do you know Tamil ?, How did you communicate with the locals / police ? I know that knowling local langaugae helps in such situation.

Basically I am from Kerala. And Tamil is more or less doable for mallus. Further I stayed in Germany for two years with my tamil friends. Two Tamil movies a day for two years - you know the rest of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
It was a very nice gesture of your hosts to prepare fresh food at 1 am. Looks like others have to take a cue from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
for the resort cook for serving you hot meal in the middle of the night. Indeed fantastic hospitality.
Yes I agree.

That was the moment of truth for us with that resort. Though we planned to checkout on the second day and come back to stay in Valaparai, because of this hospitality and gesture we decided to stay the additional day here than valparai.

Even the 5 star resorts do not go this extent for their guests. After all what we are looking forward is such things in our holiday.
Old 20th April 2010, 21:32   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks MM. If you have full details of the festival please post it for us. It was an amazing feeling to be there.
Sorry, dont have much details. This too is only hearsay. Hope to put in more details before the next nemmara vela

Praveen
Old 20th April 2010, 23:57   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, dont have much details. This too is only hearsay. Hope to put in more details before the next nemmara vela

Praveen
That's OK Praveen. Once you get the details please post it for us
Old 21st April 2010, 09:28   #128
BHPian

Quote:
That's OK Praveen. Once you get the details please post it for us
nice post with super pics, I think with all the tourist overkill in other places Nelliyampathy retains the old world charm
I think that the nemmara vela is on the 05 of april
I went to nelliyampathy through Nemmara on the 06th of April and they were removing all the structures created for the vela
Old 21st April 2010, 16:12   #129
BHPian

Splendid! Sooooopppper!
Let me take a bow!!

So many twists and turns in a single day of driving?!! And some of the turns being unplanned and on-the-spur! Simply awesome.

I can never imagine stepping out of house without the full route and plans for the day set in concrete. Iam THAT boring :(

I guess what most of us have overlooked is the enthusiasm and stamina of the ladies travelling with laluks. We can do such 24-hr drive madness only if the ladies allow it. The moment the dear ones starts sulking, even the strongest male will get cowed down. So kudos to them as well!!!

Last edited by WindRide : 21st April 2010 at 16:13.
Old 21st April 2010, 18:40   #130
BHPian

Lalu Chetta, Great travelogue once again. Why don't you try a hand in mega serials they way you upload the suspense is something great.

Which was the resort you stayed, was really surprised by the hospitality. Great
Old 21st April 2010, 19:48   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMU View Post
Lalu Chetta, Great travelogue once again. Why don't you try a hand in mega serials they way you upload the suspense is something great.

Now that you mention, I also realized he cuts the post at the right time !
Old 21st April 2010, 21:02   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes he does. But now it's been quite some time after he had cut the last one

yoohoo - where r u laluks? we are impatient here
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:02   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
nice post with super pics, I think with all the tourist overkill in other places Nelliyampathy retains the old world charm
I think that the nemmara vela is on the 05 of april
I went to nelliyampathy through Nemmara on the 06th of April and they were removing all the structures created for the vela
I was told it was on 3rd. That night there was a lot of fire crackers and sitting up the hill we could see the colours changing on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Splendid! Sooooopppper!
Let me take a bow!!

So many twists and turns in a single day of driving?!! And some of the turns being unplanned and on-the-spur! Simply awesome.

I can never imagine stepping out of house without the full route and plans for the day set in concrete. Iam THAT boring :(

I guess what most of us have overlooked is the enthusiasm and stamina of the ladies travelling with laluks. We can do such 24-hr drive madness only if the ladies allow it. The moment the dear ones starts sulking, even the strongest male will get cowed down. So kudos to them as well!!!
Thanks WindRide. If it wasn't for my girls it would not have happened that way. Now you know why i call them Power Puff Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMU View Post

, The details of the resort is one of the earlier posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes he does. But now it's been quite some time after he had cut the last one

yoohoo - where r u laluks? we are impatient here
A bit tied down with work. will try to post some today.

Also BSNL is playing up with my broadband, 3rd time this month. Time to look at alternatives. I really dont know with such attituide how they survived till now??
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:07   #134
Senior - BHPian

Full trip log for the day.

Time --- KM ----- Place
02:30 -- 000.0 -- Home
03:50 -- 094.7 -- Krishnagiri Toll gate
04:35 -- 160.9 -- Toll Gate
05:10 -- 198.8 -- Toll Gate
05:25 -- 212.0 -- Salem
06:30 -- 299.7 -- Toll Gate
07:30 -- 355.0 -- L&T BP start
07:40 -- 375.8 -- Left turn to Pollachi
08:30 -- 415.2 -- Pollachi
09:00 -- 433.3 -- Sethumadai Check Post
Break
09:30 -- 433.3 -- Sethumadai Check Post
09:40 -- 445.9 -- Right turn to Udumalpet
10:40 -- 488.0 -- Left turn to Amaravathy, Straight Check Post to Chinnar, Munnar
11:15 -- 494.4 -- Amaravathy Dam and Crocodile Rearing Center
Break
12:00 -- 501.4 -- Left turn to Check Post to Chinnar, Munnar, Right turn to Udumalpet
12:10 -- 510.6 -- Left turn to Pollachi
13:00 -- 545.0 -- Pollachi
Break
13:45 -- 545.0 -- Pollachi
14:30 -- 572.0 -- Aliyar Dam
Break
14:50 -- 572.0 -- Aliyar Dam
15:00 -- 574.0 -- Check Post to Valparai
16:30 -- 614.0 -- Valparai Town
17:00 -- 630.0 -- Exit Checkpost
17:15 -- 636.0 -- Sholayar Dam
17:30 -- 639.0 -- Last TN checkpost
17:35 -- 642.0 -- Malakkapara CP, entry to Kerala. Forest Starts.
19:10 -- 692.0 -- Vazhachal CP, Forest limit ends.
20:00 -- 728.0 -- NH47, Right turn to Palghat, Left turn to Cochin
21:00 -- 784.6 -- Right turn to Nemmara
21:30 -- 799.7 -- Nemmara.
Break
22:45 -- 799.7 -- Nemmara.
23:10 -- 807.6 -- Nelliyampathy CP
00:15 -- 828.0 -- Nelliyampathy main junction
00:45 -- 833.1 -- Resort
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:25   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both Google and Satguide maps are wrong.

Google maps is grossly wrong here. Nelliampathy is not near Chalakudy but near Nemmara in Palghat. The motorable access road to Nelliyampathy is from Nemmara. The blue line indicates the route.

Accuracy of Google Maps is driven by the online community. If you find inaccuracies there, please correct them by logging into Google Map Maker site. Please try to contribute and make it better. I always correct whatever mistakes I come across during my trips.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks