Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 01:19   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Infact Khoj only gave that much needed push for me to get out
This seems to be the perfect juncture for me to take a bow (modesty where art thou ).
I am glad to have pushed you especially after seeing the fire flies photos and now reading about it, as also after going through the experiences at Nenmara. It so reminds me of the road trip I took with my parents last year around the same time as your trip but from Kanyakumari to Varkala. We too got into innumerable temple processions starting just before Trivandrum and all the way to Varkala. Infact the 'Sri Vishnu' temple at Varkala (2000 years old) had the best decoration and processions. The drum beats on the final night when the lord comes back to his abode were stronger than anything I have felt, not heard but felt in my entire life. The beats made your whole rib cage vibrate and the entire populace at the Taj Gateway was out in strength to see the majestic procession.

Laluks I may be repeating myself but I follow you & your likes for my own selfish motives. To go and see places (where I have almost no chance to go) through your eyes and words. I do not smoke but now I know what addiction is all about, the craving can get to you.

Enough said now back to your travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I understand Laluks. I'm not finding time to complete three of my travelogues. Khoj is behind me full time for that.
But it does not seem to be working. I think I should pay you a visit next time I come to Poona.
Old 20th April 2010, 01:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That last post made some good tense moments while reading. Great show laluks.
, we were tensed too. I must confess I was really worried at some times, but you always learn to keep going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This seems to be the perfect juncture for me to take a bow (modesty where art thou ).
Infact I have not realised till I had that mail from you, that my logs were being followed and liked that much. Infact I must admit I felt humbled by that mail of yours.

Quote:
I am glad to have pushed you especially after seeing the fire flies photos and now reading about it, as also after going through the experiences at Nenmara. It so reminds me of the road trip I took with my parents last year around the same time as your trip but from Kanyakumari to Varkala. We too got into innumerable temple processions starting just before Trivandrum and all the way to Varkala. Infact the 'Sri Vishnu' temple at Varkala (2000 years old) had the best decoration and processions. The drum beats on the final night when the lord comes back to his abode were stronger than anything I have felt, not heard but felt in my entire life. The beats made your whole rib cage vibrate and the entire populace at the Taj Gateway was out in strength to see the majestic procession.
I guess the drum was the "Chenda". Its very much amazing to hear them being played together. Panchavadhyam is another great stuff during the festivals, which will completely mesmerise you - once it reaches the climax, its heavenly.

Quote:
Laluks I may be repeating myself but I follow you & your likes for my own selfish motives. To go and see places (where I have almost no chance to go) through your eyes and words. I do not smoke but now I know what addiction is all about, the craving can get to you.
I understand.

Quote:
But it does not seem to be working. I think I should pay you a visit next time I come to Poona.
MX6, you better do that fast.
Old 20th April 2010, 02:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Infact I have not realised till I had that mail from you, that my logs were being followed and liked that much. Infact I must admit I felt humbled by that mail of yours.
Well you are being yourself and I am reminded of a saying that my 'Pitaji' (Grandfather) tried very hard to make me understand.

"Phall uss drakhat te aanda hai jede neevain hoon" literally translated it means "It is the low lying trees that bear fruit".

I have finally understood the true meaning of Pitaji's words. So carry on my friend it is your modesty that bears the fruits that we so enjoy.
Old 20th April 2010, 06:30   #109
Team-BHP Support

Wow ! I read Chevy_Lover and HVK do 900 and 1700 long drives but that was point to point routes. (KVK though stopped Munnar before going to Mumbaui)

This is even better ! 823Km with whole lot of sight seeing !

Waiting for the snaps at dawn !
Old 20th April 2010, 07:44   #110
Senior - BHPian

Thankyou Khoj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow ! I read Chevy_Lover and HVK do 900 and 1700 long drives but that was point to point routes. (HVK though stopped Munnar before going to Mumbai)

This is even better ! 833Km with whole lot of sight seeing !

Waiting for the snaps at dawn !
Thanks ampere.

I cannot be in HVK's league - he is our inspiration and legend. I was there when he did the non stop drive from Chitkul to Bombay. We started at 11:30Am on Day1 and drove two night outs and day 2 fully to reach Bombay at 5AM on Day 3. 2150+kms, 41 hours . Amazing it was. That was the max for me till now. Never intend to break that ever. If it had to be then, me and HVK will do that together - whenever HVK feels to break it. HVK I guess the statistic is correct.

Ampere Day 2 dawn we did not see. we woke up only at 11:00AM, thanks to the long drive and late dinner and a good sleep. But Day3 and Day 4, I have a few. Mostly birds, with my amateur skills

Last edited by laluks : 20th April 2010 at 07:52.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:16   #111
Team-BHP Support

I cant even think of these distances. I do only 300-500 max and not more.!
My max was 700 in two days and nothing more !
Thanks to the good NH7/NH47 I am thinking of attempting Valparai in a day.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:21   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to the good NH7/NH47 I am thinking of attempting Valparai in a day.
Bangalore direct to Vaalparai would be around 480Kms and the roads are good all the way, should not be an issue.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:30   #113
Senior - BHPian

Yes, like laluks said, doing Bangalore-Valparai in a day is a no-brainer and can be easily done thanks to the good roads. You have to be careful about going on to Chalakudy since you have to have a clear 3-hour daytime to drive through before it becomes dark. Once the rains start, I would not do the Valparai-Chalakudy drive without research on the condition, since it being a narrow road, lots of trees fall down, etc., etc, which can disrupt traffic for hours.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:12   #114
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, like laluks said, doing Bangalore-Valparai in a day is a no-brainer and can be easily done thanks to the good roads. You have to be careful about going on to Chalakudy since you have to have a clear 3-hour daytime to drive through before it becomes dark. Once the rains start, I would not do the Valparai-Chalakudy drive without research on the condition, since it being a narrow road, lots of trees fall down, etc., etc, which can disrupt traffic for hours.

Ranjith.Rajaram. Another opportunity for you. Try including this in your itinerary (during rains after it becomes dark).

@Khoj, Laluks. Tonight for sure. Two travelogues will start rolling.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:08   #115
BHPian

Quite some experience there Lalu. Driving in the night, getting a lot of help, etc...
Old 20th April 2010, 11:54   #116
BHPian

this travelogues is getting better and better
read through in totality; nice narration there Mr. lalu.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:35   #117
Senior - BHPian

Very entertaining read - particularly posts #103 & 104. Literally had goosebumps!!

I think Nemmara Vallangi vela is actually a re-enaction of an old war, where a local chieftain with the help of the Bhagavati (the diety) was able to hold of an invasion from external forces
Old 20th April 2010, 15:12   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thats true I checked. As its NH7/NH47 all the way and about 45-50 Km beyond Pollachi. And no I am NOT venturing in the night to Chalakudy !

The basic reason for me is that I am not comfortable at speeds more than 90-100. Hence my average comes down to around 60-65. Hence it takes more time to reach.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2010 at 15:13.
Old 20th April 2010, 15:52   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The basic reason for me is that I am not comfortable at speeds more than 90-100. Hence my average comes down to around 60-65. Hence it takes more time to reach.
90-100 is not a slow speed dear . Its a very good practice to have desciplined speed limits. Keep up your safe driving habbit.

In my Kerala trip experience (I do it atleast 6 times an year), though I drive bit fast (100-120) in Accent or moderate speed (80-100) in Palio it didnt show much difference in terms of total travel time. May be less than an hour saving in the complete trip since we tend to apply brakes more when we speed up and offcourse more strain when we speed high. Not worth the risk taken!
Old 20th April 2010, 16:12   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 1, April 2nd 2010 continued

Nenmara - Nelliyampathy (28Kms)

Drove carefully on the roads to Nelliyampathy. The officer was right, some hairpins were too steep and sharp turns and I could only see the sky while taking the turn , such was the angle. It was almost like turning blind!!

A little later the roads became non existant, and the tea estate started. The roads to the resort was almost a 4x4 type, but Swift managed it quite well.

I was carefully negotiating the road, when my wifey says sh... look to the front! I look around and saw a herd of big deer, as big as sambars, dark coloured in the roads. Waited for a while for them to clear, only to be greeted by small deers. Again waiting only to be greeted by wild hares, and again only to be greeted by Owls, and again to be greeted by mongoose. I was like where is the resort, am I into the forest already??

I almost screeched halt the car when I heard an exciting cry from my wifey. Now what? She says switch of your head lights - and I am like what??? She insists I switch off the lights and look up to the trees. I did - That was the most wonderful thing I have ever seen - The Fireflies. I cannot explain it in words -You have to see it to believe it.

We were quickly greeted by the resort cook, and showed us the room. He says by the time you freshen up he'll make the chapathis that we orderd for. I was floored, at 1:00AM we are being given our food and that too hot hot. That's hospitality - amazing.
Phew!! That was a pretty exhausting day 1. Looking for more

This place sounds so lovely. I hope I can find some time to experience it atleast once.

It was a very nice gesture of your hosts to prepare fresh food at 1 am. Looks like others have to take a cue from this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks