Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 12:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Are there any more do's and dont's around the Pyramids, I mean more than the ones you have already pointed out?? If yes can you please elaborate on them too. You can make this thread into a one stop guide for all the Bhpian's visiting Egypt

Thanks & Regards
Old 18th June 2010, 12:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Pharaonic Village

This was our second visit after the Egyptian Museum.

Day : 22 Jan 2010.

As usual caught a taxi and after a drive of 45 mins reached the Pharaonic Village.

Taxi Fare : 35 LE for a distance of 15 kms when benzene rate is less than Rs 7/- a ltr.

This time we were well in time. I had done my home work very well.

Tickets : LE 181 per adult excluding the lunch.

About the Village

The village was established by Dr Hassan Ragab in the 70s on an island known as Jacob’s Island. This village is a replica of old Egyptian life and it has built after lots of studies. It provides an easy way to assimilate the culture, religion, art existing at that point of time. It’s a very good learning experience and a good outing for children. The village has slowly expended and now contains the following:-

-A walkaround in the open boat around the island on the outside of which the various aspects are acted out. There is a running commentary in English which is very well co-ordinated with the actions.

- A nobleman's house and garden, a market and a gigantic temple of white.

-Mummification museum.

- Cleopatra photo studio to get yourself clicked in pharaonic dresse with pharaonic accessories and furniture.

-Islamic and Coptic museum.

-Tomb of Tutankhamun : Its an exact replica of the tomb containing exact copy of the items as found in the tomb at the time of excavation. The original tomb is in Valley of Kings .

-Exhibits of Napoleon, Sadat and Nasser.

-Art Centre.

-Boat museum.

-Nefertiti Yatch for a ride in the Nile at the end of the tour.

-A children’s play area.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 12:30   #18
BHPian

Good stuff.

Are you allowed to go inside any pyramids? Any organised tours or something like that?
Old 18th June 2010, 12:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Egypt is one of my dream destination for the Pyramids and for my business(pharma), thanks TaureanBull for sharing some beautiful pictures of Pyramid. I will be visiting Egypt by the end of 2010.
You are most welcome to ask anything. I would be more than happy to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I was waiting for the photos to come up. A pic speaks a thousand words. And now you are talking! So don't worry about response. It will come sooner or later.
Well, initially I thought I would just post the pics but later on realised that a written information to give an overview and the experience would be helpful too.

@Mod : I think we can change the title from Photologue to Travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Are there any more do's and dont's around the Pyramids, I mean more than the ones you have already pointed out?? If yes can you please elaborate on them too. You can make this thread into a one stop guide for all the Bhpian's visiting Egypt

Thanks & Regards
1. Dont buy a ticket for entry inside tomb till you go around and see first. Reason : some people feel claustrophobic. I saw at least 20 people returning from just entrance and wasting their money. Go inside the biggest pyramid open for entry and not all.

2. If the tour is pre-arranged then you will have the buses available till middle of the area and a free guide. Else one may consider hiring the taxi for the entire day so that you can travel inside the area using taxi and thereby saving some valuable time and energy.

3. If you are interested in watching the light and sound show reach there by afternoon and finish by night else reach early morning and finish by afternoon.

4. Dont buy anything from there.

5. Dont listen for free advises and people forcibly tagging along with you. Act as if you are deaf.

6. There is no help/assistance (only in the tourist areas) without money. You will have to give Baksheesh.

7. Solar museum is a must visit. Though ticket price is unreasonable.

8. Carry enough water and maybe packed lunch if you are doing it all on your own. I dont prefer to eat street food. Restaurants are not available in this area. Even water bottles might be with opened seal and too cold. Sure to get a sore throat after that.

9. If you are photography enthusiast you must carry a camera stand. It will give you good pictures and save you money. (Point 6). Common Egyptian wont understand you unless you speak decent arabic. Anyone who speaks English is likely to be a person trying to make money. Its not always so, therefore judge from the looks and expressions if you have to offer Baksheesh else you may offend a Gentleman.

10. Wear a hat, sunglasses and apply good sun scream. With my colour even I got sun tan.

11. Study the layout of the area before you go else you may not know where lies what and you will waste valuable time.

The list is endless..I will keep adding as I write. Any thing specific bring it on.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Good stuff.

Are you allowed to go inside any pyramids? Any organised tours or something like that?
If you read the structure of pyramid then you will know that there used to be several chambers inside the pyramids. At the heart is the place where the mummy of the king was kept in a sarcophagi. The other chambers include chamber for treasury, chamber(s) for daily life items to be used in afterlife.
All the chambers now except the main chamber are either vacant/closed. The entry is only to the main chamber which is exactly in the centre of the pyramid. There are no mummies inside now. A narrow passage like a tunnel leads to the chamber. There is adequate lighting. Ventilation is not very good and gives a feeling of shortness of breath to some people like when you go in high mountains. Have a look at following link to understand it better:

The Pyramid of Khufu at Giza in Egypt, The Pyramid Proper, Part II: Internal and Substructure

There are lots of guided tours in all budgets. More often than not the guide does not accompany you inside. Normally he looks after your belongings outside. You are not permitted to carry anything inside.

@deky : If you are on your own all people can not go inside same time as some body has to look after the stuff eg bags, cameras etc.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Pic Set 1 : Around the Village in Boat

The picture quality is not extremely great as the boat was moving. The first set of pictures shows some pharaonic gods and famous kings. There is a small commentary on the deeds of each king as one passes by.

Pic 8 shows Abu Simbel temple located in South of Egypt.

The last pic shows a dwarf who very respected in pharaonic times and popular as intellectual persons.

The plants behind the statues are famous Papyrus plants.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Good stuff.

You can go inside the pyramids..For an extra fee and limited crowd between a specific time in the morning

@Taurean : Shooting pics inside the museum is prohibited . Did you sneak in a camera ?
Old 18th June 2010, 13:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
You can go inside the pyramids..For an extra fee and limited crowd between a specific time in the morning

@Taurean : Shooting pics inside the museum is prohibited . Did you sneak in a camera ?
Yes it is prohibited.
No I was a mobile camera. I did not intend to click photographs. Everyone there was clicking the photographs using mobile camera and the guard did not seem to bother. So, I also took a plunge. Dont know about the legality of mobile camera.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Pic Set 2 : Activities of Pharaonic Times

As we progressed on our boat trip, there were live acts of pharaonic life. Look at the English spellings. The wrong spellings are common even at very important places and in important writings.

Farming

Boat Making, Fishery and Masonary

Glass Making, Mummification, Pottery, Painting, Carving, Alabaster Carving, Carpentry and Arsenals

Perfume Making, Papyrus Making and Wine Brewing
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08087.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08088.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08089.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08090.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08091.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08092.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08093.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08094.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08095.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08096.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08097.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08102.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08104.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08105.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08106.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08107.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08108.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08109.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08110.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08111.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08112.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08113.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08114.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 14:20   #25
Team-BHP Support

Pyramid scale factor is just too good. This scale climbs to the top of my list. My previous one was the scale of snow at Rohtang.

I have seen Rohtang but yet to see a Pyramid.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice photographs and detailed explanation.
There are many tarvelogues in this forum on South east asian countries but I think yours is the first photologue/travelogue on Egypt?
Keep giving more details/photographs!
Old 18th June 2010, 14:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
The picture quality is not extremely great as the boat was moving. The first set of pictures shows some pharaonic gods and famous kings. There is a small commentary on the deeds of each king as one passes by.

Pic 8 shows Abu Simbel temple located in South of Egypt.

The last pic shows a dwarf who very respected in pharaonic times and popular as intellectual persons.

The plants behind the statues are famous Papyrus plants.
There seems to be some problem on this one. I will load them again.
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08064.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08068.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08071.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08072.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08074.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08075.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08077.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08083.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08086.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 14:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Egypt, any day a excellent place to visit. Lucky guy

Mummification!!! Oh no.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:48   #29
BHPian

Awesome pics, Taurean! The pyramids are one of my prospective destinations as well! Want to experience the sheer size of them!
Old 18th June 2010, 15:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Pic Set 3 : The Village Part 1

Thx to every one.

After leaving our boats we set afoot the island and entered the village proper. The village has a nobleman's house, a peasant's house and a temple. All these are built on based on the studies and are not ancient monuments. The pics follows.

Pic 1: Outside the temple.

Pic 2 & 3: Central hall of the temple. The golden statue is that of God AmunRa-the Sun God. Normally, only the royal family could enter the temple. On certain occasions the god statue was taken out in the palanquin outside for the common people.

Pic 4: A room inside the temple for the historian who would record everything in written on the papryrus and store them in the cylindrical holes carved out in the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08118.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08121.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08122.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08124.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks