Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 16:10   #61
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Goa via Hubli, Ankola.

I'm travelling to Ankola with family & friends coming weekend in 3 cars (Swift, Polo & City), and will be taking this route via Hubli only. Thanks Damu for the update, now I'm at least relieved about the condition of the road till Ankola!!
Old 10th August 2011, 08:56   #62

Hi,

If anyone has taken this route recently, I would really appreciate feedback on road conditions. We're driving tomorrow morning.
Planned route is :
B'lore - Hubli (nh4)
Hubli - Ankola ( nh63 )
Ankola - Goa ( nh17 )

Any feedback on road conditions of NH63 would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Rgds
Rohini
Old 11th August 2011, 09:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Great post. Now after seeing this post I realize that I can get beach & forests in the same vacation, so must go soon!
Thanks Floyd! After the heavy rains (after our trip), the forest and ghats should be beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
I'm travelling to Ankola with family & friends coming weekend in 3 cars (Swift, Polo & City), and will be taking this route via Hubli only. Thanks Damu for the update, now I'm at least relieved about the condition of the road till Ankola!!
Glad it was of help, asethi! Rains seem to have eased a bit now, hope the road Hubli to Ankola is clear now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkamath View Post
Hi,

Thanks and Rgds Rohini
Sorry for the delayed reply Rohini, didn't log in for some days. If you can catch this post in time, just check in Hubli toll gate about weather conditions Hubli to Ankola.

Have a safe and happy trip!
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 11:43   #64
BHPian

Hi, which route did you finally take and how was it?

Thank You

VW

Quote:
Hi,

If anyone has taken this route recently, I would really appreciate feedback on road conditions. We're driving tomorrow morning.
Planned route is :
B'lore - Hubli (nh4)
Hubli - Ankola ( nh63 )
Ankola - Goa ( nh17 )

Thanks and Rgds
Rohini
Old 11th August 2011, 15:25   #65
BHPian

Great travelogue! I am sure this will come handy on my forthcoming trip (Sep 25th) to Goa. I am also planning to take the BLR – Hubli – Ankola – Karwar – Madgaon route.
Would I have any problems with the mining trucks if I leave Hubli at 8 AM in the morning?
I am staying at Club Mahindra Varca. Can anyone let me know of places to visit for a family with kids 15 and 10 years old, places to eat, hangout?

Mahesh
Old 11th August 2011, 20:18   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply Rohini, didn't log in for some days. If you can catch this post in time, just check in Hubli toll gate about weather conditions Hubli to Ankola.
Have a safe and happy trip!
@Damu,

Do you have waypoints in Garmin for these locations (I meant Kamat hotels in this stretch?)
If yes, can you copy these waypoints alone to a separate Garmin GDB file and post it here?
That would be very helpful.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Damu,

Do you have waypoints in Garmin for these locations (I meant Kamat hotels in this stretch?)
If yes, can you copy these waypoints alone to a separate Garmin GDB file and post it here?
That would be very helpful.
Hi Amp!
I just checked my file saved and found a few Kamats on that route that I had saved. But, I don't know how to save them as GDB files (that is, I am able to save the entire waypoints as a GDB file (which has a couple of hundred on different routes, but not these individual points). As you are my GPS Guruji, you have to advise me here!

Anyways, I have copied these points co-ordinates as a text file and am putting these here as co-ordinates.

Please note:
1) All from Bangalore side towards Goa
2) All noted here are decent veg restaurants with toilet facilities, except where noted

1) Kamat Upachar Dobbspet Fuel, food, toilet(there are three here, two towards Tumkur and one opposite side. This point noted is the first Kamat while leaving Bangalore):
N13 12.697 E77 15.453

2) Topper Hotel HP outlet Fuel, food, toilet just before Chitradurga:
N13 50.474 E76 44.018

3) Kamat Ranebennur(from Bangalore side, comes before Ranebennur):
N14 34.374 E75 41.424

4) Fuel Food BP Outlet NH4 (from Bangalore side, just after Ranebennur):
N14 38.500 E75 34.680

5) Kamat Upachar Reliance A1 (from Bangalore side, just before Hubli near Navagraha Theerth):N15 11.118 E75 08.247

6) Hotel Shanker Ganesh, Yellapur; decent veg food, not sure about the toilet: N14 57.622 E74 42.430

Hope that helps Amp, or perhaps you could use these to make a GBD file? I'm a novice in this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Great travelogue! I am sure this will come handy on my forthcoming trip (Sep 25th) to Goa. I am also planning to take the BLR – Hubli – Ankola – Karwar – Madgaon route.
Would I have any problems with the mining trucks if I leave Hubli at 8 AM in the morning?
Thanks Mahesh!
I did not see any mining trucks at all on my trip this time.
Are you halting for the night? The roads are good and the trip can be done quite easily in a day's driving. See my screenshot of the Garmin. We were not even driving fast.

Quote:
I am staying at Club Mahindra Varca. Can anyone let me know of places to visit for a family with kids 15 and 10 years old, places to eat, hangout?
Mahesh
Well, I have saved some co-ordinates but am struggling to search for them as all my waypoints (of all our trips) are in one file. Anyway, here are a couple near Varca I could locate quickly:

1) Johncy's Benaulim Beach, (next to Pedros) nice shack on the beach, when there's no rain, you can have a table on the beach:
N15 15.429 E73 55.176

2) Fisherman's Wharf on the River Sal, Cavelossim. I have written about this in detail in the log of my June 2010 trip: N15 09.469 E73 57.107

Hope these are of help.

Last edited by Damu : 12th August 2011 at 09:20. Reason: Small correction in formatting.
Damu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 10:09   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope these are of help.
Very useful indeed sir! I will take note of the same. Most of them I could notice on Google maps.
But I wanted the Satguide locations, so that it would be consistent while driving.

I sent you PM regarding the steps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 12:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Very useful indeed sir! I will take note of the same. Most of them I could notice on Google maps.
But I wanted the Satguide locations, so that it would be consistent while driving.
I sent you PM regarding the steps.
Thanks Amp! Have done as you instructed and made the GDB file.

What I have done is to include whatever points I had made, so there are not only Kamats but also a non veg place (which I didn't visit, only noticed it) and some points in Goa. So you can remove what you don't want.

I have also for good measure, , included the two major railway line diversions (which may not be valid after some months though).

Also made them in two formats, GDB and GPX.

NOTE: Please read the comments in each waypoint's properties.

Garmin GDB:

Hotels with toilet NH4 Goa.gdb

GPX

Hotels with toilet NH4 Goa.gpx

Now, thanks to my GPS Guru, this should be more useful!
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 13:54   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, thanks to my GPS Guru, this should be more useful!
@Damu,
Thanks for those attachments.
I am no guru, but just another user like you!
In all fairness that credit goes to @Netfreakbombay, who taught me how to mange these things.

Its just that I am passing them on to others!

Last edited by ampere : 12th August 2011 at 13:55.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:31   #71
BHPian

Thanks Damu. Yes we are staying overnight @ Hubli at a relatives place and plan to head out early the next day so as to maximize our stay in Varca. I assume it will take 4 hours from Hubli to Varca (please correct me if its not the case). We will look up the places you have mentioned. If you remember any other details or places, appreciate your inputs on them.

Regards
Mahesh
Old 16th August 2011, 10:02   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, which route did you finally take and how was it?

Thank You

VW
We took exactly this route. Returned last night. NH63 is in relatively ok condition - patches have potholes- keep eye out for deep potholes. We hit two of them; there was no damage, just shook us up. Don't speed on this road.

On NH4 - there were 2 short diversions (where road work was being completed) after chitradurga, before davangere. While returning, there was a different diversion to old highway for a while, it slowed us down by half an hour.

B'lore - Goa : (from home @ 4:00am - 3pm @ hotel in south goa)

Breakfast : Hotel Garuda - (just before davangere) It is a pretty large campus, has toilet facilities and parking. ( we did not stop for lunch, had it directly in Goa. )

Goa - B'lore : ( We did a small stop at Om Beach, Gokarna - i would not recommend this to others - lost 3 hours, it was crowded with slightly unruly folks and road was not good. )

Breakfast : Hotel Premier - Karwar ( roadside parking )
Enter Karwar, at the first circle, take a left. Go to dead end. Same Hotel is present on both sides of the road.

Lunch : 30 km after Hubli - Jagdeesh Dhaba - ( apparently the toilets are scary - so said the gents, the ladies didn't dare venture )
It was proper Dhaba Food and it was very good. Had both families and truckers.

Tea : Jai Hind Dhaba - 15 km after Chitradurga ( no toilets )

Do watch out for Cows (and sheep)- we had a couple of close shaves with cows that jumped suddenly onto the road. Both in goa and on the NH.
rkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 15:23   #73
BHPian

Hi,

Just to add to list of Hotels
1. Yellapur Hotel Shanbhag, average stuff (buns you find really tasty)
2. Sirsi - Hotel Madhuvan -(just before the BP petrol bunk)

Last week I drove from Hubli to Jog Falls just around 170kms. The route which I took was UBL -> Yellapur (Ankola road) -> Sirsi -> Siddapura -> Jog. The road were amazing, wonderful drive as such.

Cheers,
Pradeep
Old 17th August 2011, 12:38   #74
BHPian

Quote:
@Damu,
In all fairness that credit goes to @Netfreakbombay, who taught me how to mange these things.
Yes Amp, I have seen some of Netfreakbombay's posts in the GPS thread; he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Quote:
Its just that I am passing them on to others!
That's what makes this site an invaluable resource!

Quote:
I assume it will take 4 hours from Hubli to Varca (please correct me if its not the case)...If you remember any other details or places, appreciate your inputs on them.Regards Mahesh
Yes Mahesh, Hubli to Varca should be just about 4 hours. I will post any additional points of interest here when I locate them.

Quote:
We took exactly this route. Returned last night. NH63 is in relatively ok condition - patches have potholes- keep eye out for deep potholes.
Thanks for the prompt update Rohini.

Quote:
Breakfast : Hotel Premier - Karwar ( roadside parking ) Enter Karwar, at the first circle, take a left. Go to dead end. Same Hotel is present on both sides of the road.
Thanks for this information. Can you please clarify if this place has good toilets for ladies?

From Goa, we always stop at the first Udupi hotel (on the NH, I forget the name - it has a non-veg hotel next to it) in Karwar. While the food is decent the toilet is awful, even for the men. This visit we found the toilet was sickening.

So please let us know the toilet facilities in Hotel Premier.

This is OT, but just an anecdote:
Early this year on our holiday to Emerald Lake near Ooty, my friend's wife and my wife were teasing me about my preoccupation with the GPS saying I was captivated by the lady's voice on the GPS! This trip to Goa, both our wives were very pleased with the GPS and me because I had saved all the "clean toilet available" location on the onward trip! Much required information!
Old 17th August 2011, 13:53   #75

Quote:

So please let us know the toilet facilities in Hotel Premier.

It should be having, its a full fledged hotel, not just a restaurant. Sadly I did not investigate as to the cleanliness :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks