Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 20:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Goa via Hubli, Ankola.

Hi thank you for the detailed update, will surely be useful for our next trip
I read your post a bit late. While returning we took NH-17 till Honavar and took NH-206 via Shimoga - a very big mistake

NH-17 is fine till Honavar. NH-206 is in pathetic state. Its infested with pot holes all thru with few good patches in between. Atleast 20% of the time you can move only in first/second gear. Thought Yeddy would have atleast the Shimoga-Bng road in good shape, but that was not to be either. It was our most frustrating drive and we were forced to stay overnight at Shimoga though we started from South Goa by 12:45pm.

We had taken the Amboli route while going and it was a beautiful drive. Till Belgaum its a superfast glide, you can easily maintain an average speed of 90-100kms. The road was patchy after Belgaum but you can maintain an average speed of 40-50kms/hr till the Ghats. The waterfalls were everywhere and surroundings green and fresh.

For anybody planning a trip to goa this is my suggestion - take the Belgaum-Amboli route while going if you plan to go to North Goa and have 9-10 hrs to spare for the journey (slow drive in the ghats, breaks for food and lots of snaps' time included). Avoid this route if its a public holiday. Avoid this route if your "theme" for the trip is just sand-sun-party (better keep "greenery" for another trip) as it might keep your main agenda waiting for too long.
As Rohini mentioned, take the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar route while returning, this definitely seems to be the fastest. You could probably spend the last night in a serene south goa beach and return fast to bng and take rest.
Lastly, the food at Ritz-classic in Panjim is amazing, a must if you are a sea-food lover.

Regards

VW

[quote=rkamath;2468852]We took exactly this route. Returned last night. NH63 is in relatively ok condition - patches have potholes- keep eye out for deep potholes. We hit two of them; there was no damage, just shook us up. Don't speed on this road.

Last edited by VindyWheels : 17th August 2011 at 20:52.
Old 20th August 2011, 08:12   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkamath View Post
We took exactly this route. Returned last night. NH63 is in relatively ok condition - patches have potholes- keep eye out for deep potholes. We hit two of them; there was no damage, just shook us up. Don't speed on this road.
Hi RK. I had done the Hubli - Ankola stretch on 18th July on my way from Ahmedabad to Kerala. It was great then. Did this strethc in about 115 min. No problem at all. Hardly any pot holes then. Guess the subsequent rains must have battered the road.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:58   #78
Senior - BHPian

I agree about Honnavar - Jog - Shimoga stretch even between Shimoga - Bangalore it would be frustrating drive because too many towns without byepass road. In rainy season you will love scenary and sharavati valley view (if less cloudy) and jog falls thats only advantage else road is frustrating it takes much more time than expected.

Ravi.
Old 20th December 2011, 15:30   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Another year and another trip to Goa. Little memories of the ghats and Goa will remain and join other equally beautiful memories of our holidays. We will surely do this trip again and again, because we can never tire of either Nature's beauty or the unique atmosphere of Goa.

My trip is a humble one compared to the magnificent trips undertaken by so many members here, so I thank you for patiently reading this through and encouraging me.

Regards
Hi

I think this is one excellent travelogue - and to fill you in I am on a drive coming in from Delhi.

As you would have experience Team BHP is excellent and BHPians are most helpful for someone somewhere has always 'just done the route' that you want to take - and no different here!

I would be doing Hubli Goa via the route you took could you give me some inputs:

1. Travel time on the Hubli - Goa stretch
2. Travel time for the Hubli - Bangalore stretch
3. Road conditions on both routes

Thanks

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th January 2012 at 06:39. Reason: Long post quote not required - Removed for benefit of mobile users.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:47   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
Hi I think this is one excellent travelogue - and to fill you in I am on a drive coming in from Delhi.

As you would have experience Team BHP is excellent...
1. Travel time on the Hubli - Goa stretch
2. Travel time for the Hubli - Bangalore stretch
3. Road conditions on both routes

Thanks
Hello DRIVEPASSION,

Thanks!
Yes, the Travelogue section in TBHp is like a Wiki and there are top class travellers/adventurers writing here!

In reply to your queries:
1) Between 6 to 7 hours, including stops, depending on (a) traffic and (b) whether you're travelling from North or South Goa.
2) Hubli Bangalore 5 to 6 hours including stops depending on time of day. If you hit Bangalore during rush hours, it will take 6 hours.
3) Both roads are good as per last updates in this thread.

Please refer following posts in this thread for more details:
post #52 - updated info June 2011 and GPS screenshots
post #69 - with useful GPS waypoints
post #72 - by rkamath - with route update in August.
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:37   #81
BHPian

I am in Goa and will shortly write my travelogue .
We went Via Ankola route using Chitradurga , Haveri route .

This route is certainly better then the Kumta , Shimoga route .
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:02   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
I am in Goa and will shortly write my travelogue .
We went Via Ankola route using Chitradurga , Haveri route .

This route is certainly better then the Kumta , Shimoga route .
Am also planning a Chennai-Bangalore- Palolem trip end of the year.
Please update on condition of roads from Davangere to Hubli and Arbail ghats( after Kalghatgi) to Ankola. Am looking forward to a reply if not a full-blast TL from you.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahead View Post
Please update on condition of roads from Davangere to Hubli and Arbail ghats( after Kalghatgi) to Ankola. Am looking forward to a reply if not a full-blast TL from you.

The best route possible to goa is as follows

Bangalore - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli- Hubli Karwar Road -Karwar - Canconna - South Goa - Panjim - North Goa-

Bangalore to Hubli is 410Kms
Hubli to Karwar is 168Kms
Karwar to Goa is 180Kms

Total time for the journey is app 9Hrs . The road is pretty good all the way with no bad patch at all .

Bangalore to Hubli is Toll Road ( 6 Line Road )
Hubli to Karwar Road is pretty nice
Ankola part of the road is also good and had no problems what so ever
Karwar to South Goa is narrow roads , but road is in good condition
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 10:40   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Bangalore to Hubli is Toll Road ( 6 Line Road )
Hubli to Karwar Road is pretty nice
Ankola part of the road is also good and had no problems what so ever
Karwar to South Goa is narrow roads , but road is in good condition
- Bangalore Hubli is a 4Lane toll road. Hubli Ankola is quite scenic. Roads just after karwar in some part are pretty bad. Roads are good once you enter Goa. Avoid driving on this road at night unless you are familiar driving on 2L roads with truckies plying with high beams.

PS: Karwar to Palolem is less then 45kms. Goa border is 15km from Karwar and Karwar-Panjim is 110km. How did you arrive at 180km?

Quote:

Last edited by akshay380 : 26th December 2011 at 10:43.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 12:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
- Bangalore Hubli is a 4Lane toll road. Hubli Ankola is quite scenic. Roads just after karwar in some part are pretty bad. Roads are good once you enter Goa. Avoid driving on this road at night unless you are familiar driving on 2L roads with truckies plying with high beams.

PS: Karwar to Palolem is less then 45kms. Goa border is 15km from Karwar and Karwar-Panjim is 110km. How did you arrive at 180km?

Yes u are right Karwar Panjim is 110 Kms . Can add another 20 Kms for North Goa locations like Baga , Anjuna , Vagator .
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 14:57   #86
BHPian

Ranga - Thanks a lot buddy... much obliged for the updates
Old 26th December 2011, 15:00   #87
BHPian

Akshay - thanks to you too... I forgot the Ankola - Karwar- Cancona distance... did it last in June 2005 on an Yamaha after my B.Tech practical exams. I was in Hubli and me and my roomie rode from Hubli to Madgaon along the Ramnagar route while going and came back via South Goa- Karwar - Kalghatgi route...
Old 11th January 2012, 13:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Hello DRIVEPASSION,

Thanks!
Yes, the Travelogue section in TBHp is like a Wiki and there are top class travellers/adventurers writing here!

In reply to your queries:
1) Between 6 to 7 hours, including stops, depending on (a) traffic and (b) whether you're travelling from North or South Goa.
2) Hubli Bangalore 5 to 6 hours including stops depending on time of day. If you hit Bangalore during rush hours, it will take 6 hours.
3) Both roads are good as per last updates in this thread.

Please refer following posts in this thread for more details:
post #52 - updated info June 2011 and GPS screenshots
post #69 - with useful GPS waypoints
post #72 - by rkamath - with route update in August.

Nice Travelogue Damu, Really enjoyed every bit of it.

Also will be very helpful to me as we are planning a road trip to Goa from Bangalore on 26th Jan weekend with the same route you took.We will be taking the same Blr-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route. So any new update on the current road condition ? Also we will be taking a slight deviation to Om beach (Gokarna) so any good decent place to stay in vicinity of the beach ?

Regards,

HarryB
HarryB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 16:55   #89
BHPian

Just back from a Chennai- Bangalore - Hubli- Karwar- Cancona roundtrip of 2100 kms odd. Roads are great till Yellapur and then in the ghats the return side from Ankola to Hubli is very bad and has huge ruts and broken pits...rest of the stretches are ok except that in the afternoons you will encounter over-loaded Trax and bolero derivatives racing each other at 60KMPH, generally slowing the entire traffic flow. Be careful after crossing into Goa since the Ankola to Cancona stretch is thru really narrow winding roads with bikes ridden very hard by the locals popping up from all corners.
Yamahead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 09:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Just back from a Chennai- Bangalore - Hubli- Karwar- Cancona roundtrip of 2100 kms odd. Roads are great till Yellapur and then in the ghats the return side from Ankola to Hubli is very bad and has huge ruts and broken pits...rest of the stretches are ok except that in the afternoons you will encounter over-loaded Trax and bolero derivatives racing each other at 60KMPH, generally slowing the entire traffic flow. Be careful after crossing into Goa since the Ankola to Cancona stretch is thru really narrow winding roads with bikes ridden very hard by the locals popping up from all corners.
Thanks Yamahead for the information .It will be very helpful. Can you please shed some light on the time taken from Blr to Goa ? Is the journey possible in single day and with that too with 2 year old ? or will it make sense to take a break some where in Ankola/ Karwar for the night ?

Cheers,

HarryB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks