Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 21:30   #106
Senior - BHPian

You may also like to read the travelogue written by my co-pax KS in teh following links:

Central Arunachal Pradesh > Itanagar, Ziro, Daparijo
7 Daparijo - Suhana Safar

Arunachal-2 > Daparijo, Along, Pasighat, Shilapathar
8 Pasighat - Suhana Safar

Arunachal-3 > Shilapathar, Bogbill Ferry, Dibrugarh, Parsuram-Kund, Hayuliang
9 Kibuthu - Suhana Safar
Old 21st August 2010, 21:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
But everyone's favourite would be the Yak shot, he he! I like it too.
Lovely food too! We had breakfast there. But not Yak of course!
Old 21st August 2010, 21:58   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Happily, I think it will take years to develop roads and tourism infrastructure, which hopefully will keep all except the hardiest away from the region for some more years!

I managed to visit this part of Arunachal only during my 3rd drive to the North East region, and I had been researching and planning for nearly 10 years before I actually made it. I still have to visit Mechuka and Tuting though! I also found roads leading to exotic unknown destinations at Midpu (near Itanagar) and Along, presumably to far-flung border regions, most not permitted to civilians. Don't worry, nature and weather will ensure that Arunachal remains unexplored.

I wish for development in this region only so that the people there get better access to markets and business opportunities. In the Ziro-Daporigo region, I hardly saw schools and children going to school and most people looked very poor and entirely dependent on subsistence agriculture. You won't believ it, but in the entire 5 days I spent in Arunachal alone, I saw only one Arunachal State Transport bus, a testimony to how ill-connected the places are. The whole economy depends on twice-a-day Sumo taxi services connecting them to major junction/hubs. Bridges are almost entirely bailey bridges built by the Army and the State govt itself is conspicuous by its absence. Thanks to the Army, there are some roads. For most of these people, even Guwahati may be a place they may visit once in a lifetime! Forget the rest of India.
If not for the presence of Indian Army, BRO and the IAF sorties Arunachal would have remained even more in the past development and infrastrure wise.
There is no road connecting its various district, even today one has to come all the way down to Assam plains and again take a uphill road to the next district. The Centre has talked about a trans Arunachal highway but so far nothing on ground.
The state however has the highest number of crorepatis and BMWs and the likes in North East. No surprise all of them politicians. Money coming from Delhi for the regions development are not at all used where and how it was meant to be.
The average Arunachali being simple village folk are easy prey for the politicians.
Anyways as the youths of the state get educated and see the outside world, they definately would want development of their state too. Only this week a NIT was inaugurated in Itanagar the capital, which is another good sign.
But they must have connectivity, and all weather roads first, as even today some parts are depended on air sorties compleately.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:08   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Happily, I think it will take years to develop roads and tourism infrastructure, which hopefully will keep all except the hardiest away from the region for some more years!

I managed to visit this part of Arunachal only during my 3rd drive to the North East region, and I had been researching and planning for nearly 10 years before I actually made it. I still have to visit Mechuka and Tuting though! I also found roads leading to exotic unknown destinations at Midpu (near Itanagar) and Along, presumably to far-flung border regions, most not permitted to civilians. Don't worry, nature and weather will ensure that Arunachal remains unexplored.

I wish for development in this region only so that the people there get better access to markets and business opportunities. In the Ziro-Daporigo region, I hardly saw schools and children going to school and most people looked very poor and entirely dependent on subsistence agriculture. You won't believ it, but in the entire 5 days I spent in Arunachal alone, I saw only one Arunachal State Transport bus, a testimony to how ill-connected the places are. The whole economy depends on twice-a-day Sumo taxi services connecting them to major junction/hubs. Bridges are almost entirely bailey bridges built by the Army and the State govt itself is conspicuous by its absence. Thanks to the Army, there are some roads. For most of these people, even Guwahati may be a place they may visit once in a lifetime! Forget the rest of India.
If not for the presence of Indian Army, BRO and the IAF sorties Arunachal would have remained even more in the past development and infrastrure wise.
There is no road connecting its various district, even today one has to come all the way down to Assam plains and again take a uphill road to the next district. The Centre has talked about a trans Arunachal highway but so far nothing on ground.
The state however has the highest number of crorepatis and BMWs and the likes in North East. No surprise all of them politicians. Money coming from Delhi for the regions development are not at all used where and how it was meant to be.
The average Arunachali being simple village folk are easy prey for the politicians.
Anyways as the youths of the state get educated and see the outside world, they definately would want development of their state too. Only this week a NIT was inaugurated in Itanagar the capital, which is another good sign.
But they must have connectivity, and all weather roads first, as even today some parts are depended on air sorties compleately.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:14   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.
Some development will come now because of the hydel projects.
However, I'm very apprehensive about what the huge influx of "plains culture" (courtesy the construction) will do to these simple folks. Question is can we have development (at the very least better healthcare and education) without destroying their way of life. Or worse still, condemning them to generations of degrading servitude.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st August 2010, 22:21   #111
Senior - BHPian

Sutripta, good to hear your views.
There is indeed a lot of culture corruption thanks to influx of outsiders not only for construction but also to do petty jobs - run tea shops, drive vehicles, etc.

I don't remember seeing a single decent hospital.
Not a single pucca house in most of the villages I passed thorugh.
Most of the rivers are unbridged except where the army has built them.
Despite so much of hydel power being produced, I did not see evidence of power being available or used in these far-flung regions.
The NH52 which runs from Pasighat to Baihata Chariali near Guwahati is the lifeline for the Arunachal on the north bank of Brahmaputra, be it Bomdila, Itanagar or Along. The best feeder roads connect with NH52.
However, NH52 from Pasighat to Roing/Tezu/Parshuram KUnd is a sheer disaster. You can see whatever is there of it on Google Earth and you will be displeased with what you see there.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:25   #112
Senior - BHPian

@hvk,

Beautiful pictures of unexplored Arunachal!!!

@san,

for this lovely travelogue.:

Quote:
But everyone's favourite would be the Yak shot, he he! I like it too.
Quote:
Lovely food too! We had breakfast there. But not Yak of course!
@hvk,
lovely pic of Yak!!!!
Old 21st August 2010, 22:28   #113
BHPian

Yeah, Sutripta the Assamese had lost their 'simplicity' long back, development does have its ill affects in these parts unfortunately.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, Sutripta the Assamese had lost their 'simplicity' long back, development does have its ill affects in these parts unfortunately.
Comparatively, I found Assam - especially in the North bank - still has an old world charm - quieter, less frantic, traditional attire, domination of farming, no political overtones in rural areas, etc.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:58   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sutripta, good to hear your views.
There is indeed a lot of culture corruption thanks to influx of outsiders not only for construction but also to do petty jobs - run tea shops, drive vehicles, etc.

I don't remember seeing a single decent hospital.
Not a single pucca house in most of the villages I passed thorugh.
Most of the rivers are unbridged except where the army has built them.
Despite so much of hydel power being produced, I did not see evidence of power being available or used in these far-flung regions.
The NH52 which runs from Pasighat to Baihata Chariali near Guwahati is the lifeline for the Arunachal on the north bank of Brahmaputra, be it Bomdila, Itanagar or Along. The best feeder roads connect with NH52.
However, NH52 from Pasighat to Roing/Tezu/Parshuram KUnd is a sheer disaster. You can see whatever is there of it on Google Earth and you will be displeased with what you see there.
I know. And agree. Unfortunate. (Except for the pucca houses part. For various reasons, pucca houses are alien to that part of the world.)

Since you have traveled the length and breadth of India many times, I think you will have an unique perspective.

What also happens with these large construction projects is that a significant percentage of the people who came in (directly, and for support services) do not return. And the worst that we have to offer takes root in another part of the country which was previously pristine. Anyway, this being a site for carlovers, I think we are going way OT, and should stop.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 21st August 2010 at 23:02.
Old 21st August 2010, 23:12   #116
BHPian

HvK add some more snaps to take the main road again. And yes, in interior pockets, even in the Assam plains there still survive the true heart of the land. I think its the same everywhere, fast & hard city life change us all.
But as a contractor in Arunachal once told me, 'Assam mein toh har zega paisa dena parta hein' the hills are better.
Old 21st August 2010, 23:30   #117
Senior - BHPian

Some photos from Assam.
Look at how lovely the roads are.

1/2. NH52, between Baihata Chariali and Tezpur

3. Bogbill Ferry, near Shilapathar, to cross River Brahmaputra to Kareng near Dibrugarh

4. 2.5 hour crossing of River Brahmaputra from north bank (Bogbill) to south bank (Kareng)

5. On alighting from the Kareng Ferry, ploughing through some mean mud roads

6. Unique combo bridge which is used by both road and rail traffic on NH52 between Jonai & Shilapathar (built by the British)

7. LOvely Assam roads - NH52 near the Arunachal border town on Namsai, between Tinsukhia & Kibithu
Attached Thumbnails
Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-3492426941_28d5457cdb_b.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-3492427375_7913a980e7_b.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-3492486759_ffba4e2c46_b.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-3492489907_274fa61b8f_b.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-3492490525_69edcc7f37_b.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-3493299378_7d0fbfe73d_b.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-3493310692_355e12d840_b.jpg  

Old 21st August 2010, 23:56   #118
Joy
BHPian

Quote:

Completely agree to you sir, those are the most difficult to reach destinations but also they are the most beautiful places in India. Thanks to you HVK sir, being bought up in North-East part of India, I never knew that these places exists. Being a son of Nationalized Bank's Manager's son, I have have travelled a major portion of Assam but still less than you.

Thanks and Wish you all a very Happy & Safe driving.

As truly said, Guwahati is the only metropolitan city (to them) that exists in North-East. Even then, few people are lucky enough to visit Guwahati.

I whole heartedly support you, judemayne and San for promoting these places.
Old 22nd August 2010, 05:25   #119
BHPian

Quote:
More photos from the road to Kibithu:
All photos taken by KS, my co-pax:
KS is Kesri here on TBHP! ... been a while since I was here last.

Thanks hvkumar for showing-casing some of my Arunachal pictures! Brings back memories of a wonderful mist-filled tour! I like TBHP's policy of allowing big pictures as part of the main posts. That helps to convey the whole-story so effectively and directly; than just a blog-link which most readers don't bother to see.

btw: The Yak picture brings back some memories too! I remember, when I took out my camera to take picture of the Yak girl, I was worried if she will come down and slap me! But instead she half-smiled and posed!
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:27   #120
BHPian

Kesri so far i have clicked children and youth only due to similar apprehension. I think if we start a conversation than we can take snaps without worries.

I like the photograph of the little boy sitting quietly on the store front near Along.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks