Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 17:30   #151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
There is no sh*t weather, only sh*t clothes[/i] - she points at me in my summer outfit. Ha.

We have been told that there is actually a ferry from Venice to Croatia, across the Adriatic Sea. We're thinking that perhaps from Venice we could sail to Croatia.
See Sam Mrs. Kapasi is going to change your chaddis!

Hold on a second. You cannot go to Croatia without a visa na?

Sam you are complete pagal!
Old 16th September 2010, 17:38   #152
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Reading through this reminds me of the film Before Sunrise (1995). Walking, Talking and Driving through Europe!!!! WOW!!!!!
Old 16th September 2010, 17:49   #153
BHPian

Congrats Sam on your wedding. Nice photos of the Autobahn and the ITalian Highway. Hope we see many many more of this awesome travelogue you have got going. I am waiting to see how Croatia will be. Never seen any photos at all. Keep `em coming Sir !!!
Old 16th September 2010, 22:20   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Hold on a second. You cannot go to Croatia without a visa na?
Sam you are complete pagal!
Hey, you're giving the plot away. I agree with the pagal part and I don't remember seeing Croatia on the list of coutries mentioned by Sam earlier. So Sam did you drive that far to just change plans - nah can't be. Even I'm not that stupid
Old 17th September 2010, 01:42   #155
BHPian

The pictures are amazing! Europe in summer is paradise.

Sam has mentioned Croatia right at the start. Looks like you forgot about it in the pictures and story that followed! The only issue was Visa, which I am hoping he'll reveal shortly
Old 17th September 2010, 09:47   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Hey, you're giving the plot away. I agree with the pagal part and I don't remember seeing Croatia on the list of coutries mentioned by Sam earlier. So Sam did you drive that far to just change plans - nah can't be. Even I'm not that stupid
Many moons ago (before the wedding) Sam has said he and Jenny are going to Split. Split is in Croatia (last I checked). Goran came from Split - how Leander even saw his serves (1995 davis cup on the NSCI grass court in Delhi) I wonder.

Last edited by navin : 17th September 2010 at 10:08.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:05   #157
BHPian

Venice!! Oh Venice.. My close association with Italy and Italians have been wonderful( except a few though ).

Did you guys try something called crescentino? It was very similar to our Poori. Then the crepes - similar to our wheat dosas- with chocolate sauce.. Imagine.. And their pride in the pizzas.

I had a chance to touch Lamborghini Gallardo and take pictures when I visited Bologna and they had a program where all the industries show case their products in the sprawling piazas. Sat on a Duccati bike too.

The travelogue is engrossing in typical Sam style, as if we are there next to him hearing the conversation.

Enjoy the drives .. And congratulations once again.

Nainar
Old 18th September 2010, 10:52   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

You went all the way to Venice? Did you sit in a gondola? That's what everyone asks.

Yeeess. We sat in a gondola. It wasn't my fault. To be honest, I'm not too fond of doing very touristy things.
Oh but the pleeeeeease is something I cannot resist.

Pleeeeeease can we sit in a gondola. How can we be in Venice and not take a gondola ride?
Sigh.

And so it came to pass that we spend the next morning with Paulo the gondola-wallah. And I must admit (grudgingly) that it was actually quite nice.

Here's the pictures on and from the gondola. It is strange to see an entire community of water-people in Italy.
Little balconies that look like little piers and families sitting outside drinking their espressos looking at the water.

One can understand Venice completely only when one sees it completely by water.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8170_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8175_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8178_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8181_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8183_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8188_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8192_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8195_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8201_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8207_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8210_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8211_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8215_l.jpg

And here is a beautiful short video from the Gondola.

More later
Old 18th September 2010, 11:50   #159
Senior - BHPian

The gondola ride reminds of many hollywood movie scenes - The Italian Job start for example

Good travelogue Sam !

PS - Off topic - You like wearing Crocs ??? !!!! ( * shaking head in disbelief * )

Last edited by vkochar : 18th September 2010 at 11:51.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:05   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

PS - Off topic - You like wearing Crocs ??? !!!! ( * shaking head in disbelief * )
Ahh but Herr Kochar, these are Gentleman Crocs with laces and leather uppers!
Old 18th September 2010, 12:15   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Ahh but Herr Kochar, these are Gentleman Crocs with laces and leather uppers!
Mr. Kapasi - Crocs are Crocs - whether leather or whatever !

We have a saying in the fashion industry - Crocs and Ed Hardy !! But sadly both these are today's rage.

Anyways - carry on with your travelogue. I can only teach. Sigh.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:32   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanderings through Venice

I think one of the most interesting things about Venice is its unique construction... old intricate buildings, with a flair and unbeatable sense of style.

A relaxed italian lifestyle, further enhanced by the fresh sea air.

And above all this, a fantastic sense of style and fashion. Old buildings with stunning brand boutiques, every conceivable brand shop (and by no means cheap) - Venice is also a shoppers paradise.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8223_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8225_l.jpg

In between all the shops are these beautiful tea rooms

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8227_l.jpg

And stunning churches

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8217_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8222_l.jpg

Perhaps the best thing to do is what we did.

Get lost in the maze. Today we walk for close to 5 hours just in Venice. And a lot of time around the San Marco.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8234_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8238_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8273_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8278_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8279_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8280_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8284_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8287_l.jpg

Time for lunch

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8292_l.jpg
Old 18th September 2010, 12:33   #163
Senior - BHPian

Laces

Excellent Pics and Congrats Sam.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:50   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodbye Venice!

So...
We need to decide - do we stay today in Venice or do we begin to drive.

Lunch is over, but it is summer. This means we still have many hours to go until sunset. If we drive, we drive out now. Or we stay in Venice another night.

These are the discussions we have over pizza and pasta. And then the conclusion.

Bill please!

We're leaving. We're going to Croatia.

We check out and start to drag our bags to the boat bus. Going back the way we came.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8297_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8301_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8303_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8309_l.jpg

As I stare out at the people relaxing, breathing and living Venice I feel a bit sad. I'm going to miss this place.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8321_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8326_l.jpg

But then, I quickly remind myself, our holiday has just begun!! And this is merely the first chapter in a beautiful holiday.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8314_l.jpg

We say our goodbyes to Venice. We will now drive along the Adriatic coast.

As we decide where we're going, one thing is clear. Croatia it is. To get there will be a bit of an adventure.

The GPS/Navi does not work in Slovenia and Croatia. The border of Italy will be the last place it will function. From here on we're on our own with a good-old fashioned road map.

So far the route appears to be fairly simple up to Rijeka. Simply go via Trieste like so:

Name:  Screen shot 20100918 at 12.49.22 PM.png
Views: 7541
Size:  592.2 KB
Old 18th September 2010, 13:05   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, I love Venice already --- and I haven't even been there. I'm wondering how you could leave!

Gondolas? well, I guess I'd have probably spent all day on gondolas!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks