Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 16:44   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am told if you have a Credit Card like AX, MC or Visa, your insurance is covered by them. So no need to take an insurance from the rental company. And this works for international credit cards too.
I have heard of credit cards providing the most basic of travel insurance. I do not know about motor insurance, but I am doubtful.

People should be careful about this. Driving without insurance is a crime that is taken seriously in Europe.

Our wealthier members might be able to afford writing off their hire car, although nobody would welcome that bill. The third party claims, especially if serious injury is involved (death, any insurance man will tell you, is cheaper!) could be financially crippling even to the relatively rich.

Unless you are certain that you have specific Motor insurance that is valid in the country that you are in, you must take the insurance offered by the hire company.

I recall, some time back, collecting a car hired by a company. The company had motor insurance covering all cars driven by an employee. It was mandatory to supply the policy number and details when collecting the car.

There may be an option to take only insurance up to a specific amount of claim. Be warned that this can be very expensive.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th August 2010 at 16:47.
Old 26th August 2010, 17:21   #77
BANNED

Mr SAM Are you busy with your marriage??
we all are waiting for the update
Old 26th August 2010, 17:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am told if you have a Credit Card like AX, MC or Visa, your insurance is covered by them. So no need to take an insurance from the rental company. And this works for international credit cards too.
Card cover only personal insurance in case of road accident. It would not cover Vehicle and Third part damage.

You need to provide policy details for your corporate policy to rental agency. They will verify whether it meets minimum required legal limits in that particular country (specially for Third Party Claims).
Old 26th August 2010, 21:37   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Mr SAM Are you busy with your marriage??
we all are waiting for the update
If the earlier picture of him in the suit was not there, I would have said that he's taking time off learning to tie a tie for the big day
Old 26th August 2010, 21:45   #80
BHPian

Yet another signature blog by our own 'The Yeti®' and like always full with great pictures and catchy description... These 6 pages have just whisked by leaving us wanting for more :/)
Old 26th August 2010, 21:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Love the small towns and countryside of France and Italy. Would love to see more pics of the same!

Poll Options
Quote:
What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
  • Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness!
  • A long happy life together!
what kind of weird poll is this?

Last edited by Mpower : 26th August 2010 at 21:58.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:55   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have heard of credit cards providing the most basic of travel insurance. I do not know about motor insurance, but I am doubtful.

People should be careful about this. Driving without insurance is a crime that is taken seriously in Europe.

Our wealthier members might be able to afford writing off their hire car, although nobody would welcome that bill. The third party claims, especially if serious injury is involved (death, any insurance man will tell you, is cheaper!) could be financially crippling even to the relatively rich.

Unless you are certain that you have specific Motor insurance that is valid in the country that you are in, you must take the insurance offered by the hire company.

I recall, some time back, collecting a car hired by a company. The company had motor insurance covering all cars driven by an employee. It was mandatory to supply the policy number and details when collecting the car.

There may be an option to take only insurance up to a specific amount of claim. Be warned that this can be very expensive.

Thad, I agree! I haven't heard of any credit card that covers auto insurance, just personal accident insurance and even that comes with many caveats.

FYI if you pay car insurance in the US, the personal car insurance covers rental cars as well. Knew this to the T when I was living there, but don't seem to recollect all the details now.

Sam, Congratulations! I hope you & TheOne(r) have "A long happy life together!". A wedding is temporary, a marriage is forever. Welcome to the grind!
Old 26th August 2010, 22:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Thad, I agree! I haven't heard of any credit card that covers auto insurance, just personal accident insurance and even that comes with many caveats.

FYI if you pay car insurance in the US, the personal car insurance covers rental cars as well. Knew this to the T when I was living there, but don't seem to recollect all the details now.
in US, an insurance policy covers rental cars as long as they are used as a substitute for your own car. Meaning both of them will not be covered at the same time. It also implies that you cannot go to a different class altogether, like a rental moving truck.

credit card insurance is not legal enough AFAIK
Old 26th August 2010, 22:01   #84
BHPian

Some higher end Visa cards issued in Canada do cover rental car insurance. Doubt if its commonplace though.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:06   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The answer lies within your question.

But seriously, Sam has created this poll to control one-line replies. Seems it has failed to solve the purpose. There is no way you can control the excitement in 'The YETI's' thread.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Poll Options
Its not weird, Both options could have been chosen. I guess many did not realize it.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 27th August 2010 at 09:27.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Card cover only personal insurance in case of road accident. It would not cover Vehicle and Third part damage.

You need to provide policy details for your corporate policy to rental agency. They will verify whether it meets minimum required legal limits in that particular country (specially for Third Party Claims).
I am positive that its comprehensive. This is told by the franchise owner of Avis from where i regularly do car rentals. As per him AX covers everything which includes - LDW (Loss Damage Waiver), Third Party and Personal. I didn't ask him how much amount is covered, but the next time i go, i will definitely ask him. I will also ask about what MC and Visa covers.

This is in USA(CA) only. I have no idea about other countries or for that matter even other states. May be member living in other states can opine.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It's not easy being a man.

I would like to announce our wedding. It is happening on the 28th of August 2010 in the little town of Bad Nauheim, now made famous on Team-BHP.
The last day of YETI as a single man & as the day unfolds we recall & remember many private & beautiful moments this man has shared with us, here on TBhp.
The first visit of THE ONE, Her first Diwali, their international escapades or across our own country, whether its was a fort in princely state or a resort in south, or taught us to make perfect coffee cuppa, he kept us glued. The F5 key became synonymous with his blogs. Some of us had to buy new keyboards .

I know Sam that you had requested us all to refrain from individual posts BUT when you are so loved by a greasy & die hard-community you have no choice but to accept our BESTEST of BEST wishes for the grand day tomorrow,
the 28th August 2010 ®

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 27th August 2010 at 12:49.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:55   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely post, ariesonu, very well expressing many of our thoughts.
Quote:
I am positive that its comprehensive. This is told by the franchise owner of Avis from where i regularly do car rentals. As per him AX covers everything which includes - LDW (Loss Damage Waiver), Third Party and Personal. I didn't ask him how much amount is covered, but the next time i go, i will definitely ask him. I will also ask about what MC and Visa covers.
Best ask the card issuer!

I know nothing about USA. Only thing I have heard in UK is that cr owners who are hiring often do not realise that their own policy covers them and that they do not need to pay twice, but please not that this is for car owners with an active policy. The car hirers are going to want evidence of that anyway.

Offering free motor insurance is a recipe for ready-made loss. But maybe US card issuers are that crazy!

I wonder if the mods might hive off these posts to a separate thread on car hire abroad. It is a ver important subject, but a shame to bog down this thread with it?
Old 27th August 2010, 23:52   #90
BHPian

Sam a lil late, but that's one well crafted suit!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks