Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 18:49   #106
BHPian

Are you accepting new buddies on your FB . I am in queue in that case...

Hey anyways, good luck and have a great married life, have been following your travelogues for a long time and even the old ones make a great read. So heres looking forward for a masaledar travelogue from you yet again Mr Yeti
Old 12th September 2010, 19:15   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Day One - Bad Nauheim

The wedding is over, and most people have gone their own ways already. We have many errands to run yet, return things, meet people, thank people, make plans for the families that have stayed back in Bad Nauheim after the wedding.

I am not sure if we want to leave today, or if it makes sense to leave tomorrow. That's the great thing about having no plans, you can do whatever you please.

Let's just leave when we finish.
Hmm ok.
What direction shall we take?

I have placed Croatia on my list of places to visit. I have always had a fascination for east europe. Those that have followed my travelogues will remember my solo visit to Budapest.

Croatia is definitely a place I want to visit.

At the time of my writing this travelogue, Croatia was not in the EU. As an Indian you need a Croatian visa and I can tell you, it was not easy to get one. But that is a different story.

So?
Let's go to Vienna!
I don't want to go to big cities
says Jenny. We live in a big city for God's sake.
Yeah. We live in Bombay. I'm talking abut Vienna, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

You will not make it to Vienna today,
interjects Jenny's dad. It is already 2pm.

Hmm. That's the bad thing about having no plans. You have no idea what's next.

Let's just leave. We pack a bag full of stuff and start of towards München (Munich)

At this moment I am still relying on the Navi that we have taken with us. I find it comforting and reliable.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7888_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7890_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7896_l.jpg

I haven't changed, still bumming around in my shorts and tee-shirt. A relief after the 2 days of suits. But it does not take me long to realise that I am not dressed for the weather that awaits us.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7892_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7897_l.jpg

I drive all the way, learning the signs in detail as I go along.

Here's an example of what happens when you drive in Germany/Austria and you don't speak German.

You're driving along the Autobahn. Of course there are many kilometres with no limits. And then a speed limit crops up. 80! it says. You slam the brakes and slow down wondering why people are showing you the finger.

You didn't read the "BEI NÄSSE" written below it. 80 speed limit - when wet!

As we drive towards Munich we think of an old friend from Bombay and call her. When we call her to say hi, she insists we stay the night with her.
We agree.

It is wet and getting dark very soon. Today I will drive about 430kms in Germany.

Name:  Screen shot 20100912 at 3.41.28 PM.png
Views: 4379
Size:  684.0 KB

As we grin and think about meeting our friend, we see the Allianz Arena, the new football stadium built by Allianz. This of course means that we're at Munich
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7888_l.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	422647

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7904_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7905_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7909_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7911_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7915_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7920_l.jpg

Finding parking is a pain but we manage somehow. This evening will be spent with food and cheer and conversations about our wedding.

Tomorrow we will get up early and leave Munich. But to go where?
Attached Thumbnails
YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7899_l.jpg  

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th September 2010 at 19:24.
Old 12th September 2010, 19:23   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
However Mrs. Kapasi has requested that I not publish facts and photos of the wedding here, as they are not only visible to you, but also to non-members.

I ask you for your understanding.

@Mr & Mrs Kapasi,

Single pic of bride and groom will be sufficient for us!!!!

Choice is yours!!!

NC ka picture in a suit jarur post karna!!!
Old 12th September 2010, 19:25   #109
lsp
BHPian

Sam
Just saw your cheeky profile pic on FB. Guess thats a pic from the wedding!!

Many congratulations to you & Mrs Kapasi!!
Old 12th September 2010, 22:45   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 2: What? Where?

The weather in Munich has left us really worried. Unfortunately in our rush to leave, we have no winter clothes at all. Brrr..

I speak to my friend, she is German.

Sh*t weather.
Sam Kapasi we have an old saying in German. There is no sh*t weather, only sh*t clothes
- she points at me in my summer outfit. Ha.

While having dinner we speak.

How about Venice?
Venice?
Venice.

I'm not joking. She isn't laughing. We're thinking of driving across the Alps past Austria into Italy. Tomorrow morning.

Venice.

We have been told that there is actually a ferry from Venice to Croatia, across the Adriatic Sea. We're thinking that perhaps from Venice we could sail to Croatia.
Who knows what time the ferry is. Where it is from. Doesn't matter. Sounds like a plan.

And so it comes to pass that Mr. and Mrs. Kapasi drive off on the next morning, hoping to reach Venice, Italy. One of the most romantic cities in the world.

And not a mean feat to get there by road. We will have to cross the Brenner Pass in the Alps (while this is not the highest pass, it is an important and historical pass in the history of Europe)

Name:  Screen shot 20100912 at 10.40.14 PM.png
Views: 5474
Size:  463.5 KB

While the distance is roughly 550kms, it is not flat ground as we have to drive up and down the alps. TO make matters worse, it is gloomy, freezing cold and raining.
All the Bei Naesse warnings will be active through Germany and Austria.

I am excited. I have never crossed borders and countries by car before. I realise that since I had no real plan, I did not even think that this would turn into a road trip of this magnitude.

Italy! We're driving to Italy! That's just cool!

Speaking of cool, the next morning we wake up to 8 degrees and rain. I manage to get the car, which is parked half a kilometre away from the house and drive it to where we are staying in order to drag the bags in.

By the time we leave, it is 8 in the morning. The plan is to spend the evening in Venice and then look for a ferry to Croatia the next day. I can hardly contain myself.
Croatia? But where in Croatia? Who knows. I have bought us a "Rough Guide to Croatia" - we will read it as we go along.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th September 2010 at 22:46.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2010, 22:58   #111
Senior - BHPian

Sam Bhai, post quickly na

BTW, wishing you and TheOne a very happy married life.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:14   #112
Joy
BHPian

At First (though I have voted still) would like to welcome Mrs. & Mr. Sam Kapasi home. May God bless you and shower all HIS blessing to your eternity.

Sam, though I don't know you personally, but still there is a chord in your writing which touches my heart. Have seen your profile pic in FB (guessing it to be that of your wedding picture), you are a looking like a hero.

Anyway, loving your travelogue. Please continue.

Mrs. Kapasi, would like to request you to post one of your favourite photo in here.

Thanks.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:14   #113
Senior - BHPian

I have been reading your travelogues for a long time although this is the first time i am posting in one!
I am not there in fb but i am sure the wedding must have been gorgeous!

Travelogues is excellent as usual,cant wait for more!
BTW do you intend to travel all over europe in the astra?

Last edited by avishar : 12th September 2010 at 23:16.
Old 13th September 2010, 00:31   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Toll and Petrol

Munich is in south Germany. From here to get across the border in Austria is quick and easy.

We will drive to Innsbruck first, through the Austrian countryside. But first, a Vignette.

The first time I had learned of this vignette was when I had driven from Munich to Salzburg in an M3 (some of you may remember this from my BMW travelogue)
Actually it was Jenny that warned and informed us of this.

A vignette is a toll sticker that you buy from a tabac or a gas station. It basically is an advance toll that allows you to use Autobahns without any toll nakas.

Looks like this:
YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-at2010_vignette_cs.jpg

The holes indicate the date until it is valid. We buy the cheapest vignette valid for 10 days. One could buy a vignette valid upto a year (there are various choices)

It isn't electronic (at least not yet), it simply is a plastic stamp that you are obliged to affix on your windscreen. If you drive without this vignette and you are caught by the police, the fine is 200 euros minimum.
A hefty fine, considering that the austrian vignette costs 7.90 euros for 10 days!

So, a word of caution, if you are driving through any European country, when you stop to fill fuel, ask the cashier if you need a vignette to drive on the autobahn. (All German autobahns are toll-free though)

Speaking of filling fuel, I've become quite the expert on taking care of things. For a typical Indian used to pit-stop type petrol pumps, it is a little unnerving to be faced with a sannata-type pump. You fill your fuel, then enter the market/shop in the pump.

Nummer Drei bitte (Number 3 please, you have to check which fuel pump you have used)

Speaking of fuel, throughout Germany the price of standard petrol (or Benzin as it is referred to in German) and Premium petrol (or Super as it is referred to in German) is the same. The same down to the last cent. Jenny explains that this happened during the economic meltdown 2 years ago.

Why would anyone fill standard unleaded if he can get premium for the same price?
She shrugs. Nobody does. Everyone fills super. In fact many pumps have stopped stocking regular unleaded (Blei-frei in german)

Speaking of pumps, I can never get used to the fact that every pump has a different price for petrol. Sometimes a few metres apart.
Fill up in Austria said Jenny's dad to us before we left.

Petrol in Austria is much cheaper per litre.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th September 2010 at 00:35.
Old 13th September 2010, 00:58   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

The drive on day two

It's cold.

We're running the heater a little. I've decided to name the car triple 8. 888. Here is why.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7845_l.jpg

888 drives smoothly out of Germany. I cannot go fast. Visibilty is poor, to say the very least and as we begin to climb up the mountains, it gets colder, wetter and foggier.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7923_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7924_l.jpg

Handling the cold is easy, Mrs. Kapasi and I have been to 20 below zero, but the wind and rain make it unbearable.

As we climb up into Austria (remembering our Austrian friends on the way) it gets beautiful, but too cold to stop and admire the landscape. I continue driving as Jenny takes a few photos from the moving car.
I shake my head at the situation.

The camera fails to capture what the eyes see in any case, being overshadowed by the dull gloominess that is in the air.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7928_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7930_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7932_l.jpg

As we climb higher and towards the Brenner pass, we see snow covered Alps and ski paths. Of course it is summer in Europe and the ski places are all shut.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7963_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7937_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7951_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7959_l.jpg

Summer? You call this summer? Bah!

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7961_l.jpg

It has been 3 hours since we left Munich. I think. We're almost at the border of Austria and italy.

Toll naka.

Do we still have to pay toll? Asks Jenny in German. We have a vignette she points to the windscreen.
It's only valid through Austria, until here.
But this is Austria isn't it?
Yes, but you must pay a toll to use the Brenner way.

We continue driving, past the mountains and the tunnels
YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7935_l.jpg

Until we see the sign.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7973_l.jpg

Italia! Italia! clap clap clap!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th September 2010 at 01:07.
Old 13th September 2010, 06:57   #116
BHPian

Try visiting Cinque Terre, it is around 250 KM from Venice. Google the place, you may like it. The best way to visit the Cinque Terre, is to park your car in La Spezia, and take a train paas and visit all 5 village by train. These 5 villages which are on the clif of mountain facing the see is awesome.

Cinque Terre travel guide - Wikitravel
Old 13th September 2010, 07:47   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Did you have to pay additional Insurance because of this? In US, insurance charges jack up if you use Indian Driving License.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
No, they don't. Which rental agency did you use? Insurance is higher only if you are under 25 and if more people are officially included as drivers.
Guys, I have driven in the U.S on Indian driving Licence umpteen number of times. Not even once have they charged me extra. I have rented from Avis, Enterprise and Hertz. However, Avis charges extra for more than 3 drivers. Not sure of the others as we never found ourselves in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am positive that its comprehensive. This is told by the franchise owner of Avis from where i regularly do car rentals. As per him AX covers everything which includes - LDW (Loss Damage Waiver), Third Party and Personal. I didn't ask him how much amount is covered, but the next time i go, i will definitely ask him. I will also ask about what MC and Visa covers.

This is in USA(CA) only. I have no idea about other countries or for that matter even other states. May be member living in other states can opine.
Here is it...Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver - Personal | Personal | Visa USA
However we always believe that its better to take the insurance offered by the car rental guys. If you're in trouble, either company will cover you up. Just trying to save a few bucks, you can land yourselves in trouble worth millions of dollars which is not worth it.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 13th September 2010 at 07:49.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:49   #118
BHPian

I know I am not a mod and don't want to be sounding rude either but guys can we stop going .

Thanks Sam for coming back and sharing the traveling bit. we can understand The one's concerns about posting the pics here and believe you'll post lots of your "mother-of-all-trips" pictures that'll make us feel we're not missing something.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:08   #119
BHPian

This is the first time i am seeing such an arrangement of the buffet menu.

Normally the dishes are placed against a wall making it monotonus, but this is interesting, coming up from opposite sides. casually real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Old 13th September 2010, 23:09   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Italia!

888 purrs along up and down the mountains along the Brenner pass into Italy.

Am I being deceived or is it getting brighter and (dare I say it?) warmer?

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7990_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7993_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7994_l.jpg

It is! Suddenly I cross another mountain and it's like someone put the light switch on.
The sun is shining and the sky is getting a deep blue hue. A stark difference from the dull grey that my eyes have gotten accustomed to since we left.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7996_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_7998_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8000_l.jpg

SUNGLASSES! I need SUNGLASSES! WOOWOOOOHOOO!!

I am singing and enjoying myself as I see the temperature rise to a healthy 16. The sun roof is now open and the sun shines hotly on me. It's wonderful.

Suddenly I have to brake. Can it be? Could it be?

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8012_l.jpg

TRAFFIC JAM!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th September 2010 at 23:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks