Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 06:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

I did some googling and wiki - the GTO looks like a 1969 revision.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

some of the cars I've rented here in US..

out of these, the charger is the one I rent the most as well as the malibu..

Chevy Malibu

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_4305.jpg

Dodge Charger

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_5743.jpg

Toyota Corolla

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_3707.jpg

Nissan Altima

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_3265.jpg

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_0265.jpg

Chevy Suburban

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_0268.jpg

I've driven many more like the camaro, Sonata, the mustang, Dodge Avenger, Chrysler Sebring ,Dodge Grand Caravan, Buick Enclave & Jeep liberty..and yes,..the accent too.

@black asta, I keep travelling to Charlotte, NC from Atlanta frequently and i rent cars out for those drives.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 27th October 2010 at 08:10.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 08:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

@14000rpm - who do you generally rent cars from? If I go by the names, it seems like Avis / Hertz?
Old 27th October 2010, 09:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@14000rpm - who do you generally rent cars from? If I go by the names, it seems like Avis / Hertz?
enterprise rent a car.

I've not rented from anybody else.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:41   #50
BANNED

In the late 90's & early 2000's, you could find very few Japanese cars with the big national rental chains.
I have rented lots of times in the US in that period but have never ever got a Japanese car ever - it was always an American one. As a matter of fact, my boss used to specifically rent from a local rental company because she only wanted to drive Japanese rentals. However, it looks like this has changed considerably now seeing that so many people in this thread have rented Japanese from the big chains.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
enterprise rent a car.

I've not rented from anybody else.
wow never knew that enterprise rents out camaro!!
Old 27th October 2010, 16:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
wow never knew that enterprise rents out camaro!!
yes they do..in select locations..this one time that I got it, it was from ATL airport.

I used to rent vans and SUV's when I had to carry a lot of office stuff but then off late that has reduced ever since my company bought a Pickup truck.
I drive the GMC Sierra 2500HD when I travel on work.
Rentals and me - driving in US-img_4504.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 22:11   #53
BHPian

thats an awesome bunch of cars you drive 1400. My fav is the Charger and the GMC

:@ black asta i think enterprise has a exotic division also for some luxury ones. Also I have seen hertz/Avis have Hummer in Miami
Old 27th October 2010, 23:55   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
In the late 90's & early 2000's, you could find very few Japanese cars with the big national rental chains.
I have rented lots of times in the US in that period but have never ever got a Japanese car ever - it was always an American one. As a matter of fact, my boss used to specifically rent from a local rental company because she only wanted to drive Japanese rentals. However, it looks like this has changed considerably now seeing that so many people in this thread have rented Japanese from the big chains.
Even now more than likely you will get American car when you try to rent a car in US as they vastly outnumber the non US brands in rental fleets.

I have been renting cars in US for over 10 yrs and have rented many cars that I lost a count of.

I have mostly received Pontiac, Chevy, Dodge, Ford etc. at airport locations whereas I have received Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai's and VW's at local outlets in addition to those US brands.

Not sure if it can be taken as a trend or what but at least personally I have found that receiving non US branded car is more likely to happen at local outlets than at the airport counter.
Old 28th October 2010, 02:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post
Even now more than likely you will get American car when you try to rent a car in US as they vastly outnumber the non US brands in rental fleets.

I have been renting cars in US for over 10 yrs and have rented many cars that I lost a count of.

I have mostly received Pontiac, Chevy, Dodge, Ford etc. at airport locations whereas I have received Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai's and VW's at local outlets in addition to those US brands.

Not sure if it can be taken as a trend or what but at least personally I have found that receiving non US branded car is more likely to happen at local outlets than at the airport counter.
Yea even i have hardly seen any non-US cars at airport locations. But yes the local rentals have Jap cars but i have not come across any even in the city outlets of avis/hertz/budget
Old 28th October 2010, 05:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Yea even i have hardly seen any non-US cars at airport locations. But yes the local rentals have Jap cars but i have not come across any even in the city outlets of avis/hertz/budget
not true..the Altima and the Corolla were both rentals from Birmingham,AL airport
Old 28th October 2010, 05:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
not true..the Altima and the Corolla were both rentals from Birmingham,AL airport
agree there are lots of Altimas. But have never seen a Corolla/Camry Or Hondas..Chevy is more common aint it
Old 28th October 2010, 06:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

i am in san diego, CA and i am also on rental spree.

i have been driving right from KIA , to dodge avenger to ford mustang and also the camry.
out of the all i found dodge avenger slow couch due to its weight.

Mustang was my dream car, and i was loving it to the core.
i also drove the new 5000 CC ones convertible, but couldnt take a snap of that beauty, camera lost

some snaps
Attached Thumbnails
Rentals and me - driving in US-dodge.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-mustang1.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-mustang3.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-mustang.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-mustang2.jpg  

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 28th October 2010 at 06:31.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2010, 07:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Of all the rentals I have driven, I had real fun driving on a 4-5 hr trip to the smoky mountains this memorial day weekend on a chevy cobalt. The braking and handling of the car was very good, and had some real fun driving along the narrow but highspeed section of I 40 - where it passes through the mountains, with a high concrete divider wall on one side of the road, and steep mountain rocks on the other. I 40 becomes 2 lane each way there, and although having some stoppage due to rock falls - I enjoyed the drive. The car behaved great on steep mountain routes too.

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_0803.jpg
(picture courtesy my passenger in that car)

I did some good speeds on a dodge grand caravan while driving through monument valley in Utah. We were returning from Moab, UT after visiting Arches National Park, and had to get to Williams, AZ in that night after starting in evening around 6 pm. It was a 6.5 hours drive which we shared among 2 drivers. I drove from Moab to Kayenta, AZ. After the other guy took over, he got a ticket for driving on 45 in a 35 mph zone!!

This is how monument valley looks in daytime (it was an overcast day)

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_2858.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 29th October 2010 at 18:20. Reason: Post Edited. References to high speed removed. Thanks.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2010, 08:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what was the posted speed limit?
I do not remember (may be 65 mph)!
I was encountering cars from other direction at the rate of 1 car car every 10-12 minutes - so you can guess how desolate the road was.

Last edited by bblost : 29th October 2010 at 19:42. Reason: Quoted post has been edited. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks