Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 19:37   #31
kat
BHPian

Re: MRF ZVTV Tyres

Hi oilmonkey, My Jazz wore factory fitted MRF ZVTV tyres. I had to replace all of them in about 20k kms. First one went kaput when it hit a fist sized stone on a highway when I was going at around 80 kmph. Two more developed bulges at around 16k kms for which I am yet to find a reason. In all, from the reliability point of view, they did not work out good for me. Also, the ride quality was a bit harsh with a lot of road noise creeping in at speeds over 80, so I would not suggest them if comfort is your priority. But there was just one puncture through out the 20k kms ownership. Recently changed to Bridgestone Turanzas and they seem to be a lot better compared to MRFs over the past 3k kms. But that is just my view.

Nevertheless, I have heard of some who have done over 40k kms with their factory fitted ZVTV tyres.

-Kat
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 19:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello folks. I was planning to upgrade the stock tyres on my 2011 Etios G-SP that is currently shod with 175/65 R14 (shitty) MRF ZVTV tyres. Can I put in 195/60 R14 tyres? Was apprehensive if they'll brush against the sidewalls (a local tyre dealer claims they will). And which brand and model is the most apt for best grip levels and low sound? I was thinking of Michelin Energy XM2. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2015, 20:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
Hello folks. I was planning to upgrade the stock tyres on my 2011 Etios G-SP that is currently shod with 175/65 R14 (shitty) MRF ZVTV tyres. Can I put in 195/60 R14 tyres.....
Check posts 16 to 25 in this thread. Also, as per this: http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm you are upsizing 5.47% which is not recommended. Keep it within 2% difference.
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Check posts 16 to 25 in this thread. Also, as per this: http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm you are upsizing 5.47% which is not recommended. Keep it within 2% difference.
So I guess 185/60 R14 should be the perfect upgrade. How remarkable is the difference between the grip levels of 195 and 185? I've driven my cousin's Etios shod with 185/65/R15 tyres and still wasn't really satisfied with the grip levels.
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
So I guess 185/60 R14 should be the perfect upgrade. How remarkable is the difference between the grip levels of 195 and 185? I've driven my cousin's Etios shod with 185/65/R15 tyres and still wasn't really satisfied with the grip levels.
185/60 R14 is within the 2% limit and hence would be acceptable.
I'm not a tyre expert, however, I really don't think 10mm increase in width will make that much of a difference. What does make a difference is the rubber compound of the tyre. Bridgestone (my stock tyre) compared to my upgrade (yokohama); the difference is huge! Both in terms of grip level and road noise. With the yoko's, the road noise went down drastically and also grip on dry as well as wet roads. Currently I'm at 93K and will have to change soon, and the search will begin!
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:18   #36
BHPian

It's time to change the tyres now. ODO reading is at 97000 kms. The Yoko's have served well for the last 48000 odd kms and I would not want to change to any other tyre. There was no issue with thinner sidewall as apprehended by many and the quietness and the grip in dry as well as wet weather has surpassed my expectations.
I am told by my tyre dealer that the Yokohama AVS decibel V550 currently available are manufactured in 2014 and the company has confirmed that there is no production of these in 2015 as yet. Unless I get the DOT code, I wont know if the tyres are from early 2014 or late 2014. Still, I wouldn't go for tyres that are almost 9 months old. So now the options given by him are Michellin xm2 and Earth1. I am more inclined towards quieter tyres and looking at the positioning of the Earth1 on Yoko's website, it seems they are not as better as the AVS Db.
Need recommendations for quiet 195/60 R15.
Old 11th October 2015, 10:26   #37
BHPian

Had zeroed in on the Michelin XM2 195/60 R15 however ended up putting on the Michelin Primacy ST3 (Pst3). I was told by my dealer friend, that PST3 are more quieter than the XM2's. And am I glad or what! Had a quick 550km odd journey yesterday from pune to sangli and back. I'm in love with the st3 already. They are super silent. Even quieter than the yoko's (195/60 R15 avs decibel v550) I had earlier. Grip on wet and dry surfaces is as good as the yoko's. The cornering capabilities at high speed are enhanced by the soft rubber. My only grouse is that it does not roll over as fast as the yoko's. That I can live with. I would recommend two options for anyone looking for an upgrade in the R15 segment:
1. Yokohama avs decibel v550.
2. Michelin PST3.

Cheers!
Old 11th October 2015, 21:40   #38
BHPian

Im thinking of changing the tyres in my Liva. One tyre has already been replaced with a bridgestone 175 section. The rest are all OEM(Goodyear) , odo is at 40k.

Any suggestions?
Old 15th October 2015, 12:31   #39
BHPian

I recently upgraded to Michelin XM2 (based on amalji's recommendation) and I am quite happy with its performance. I paid 18k for 4 tyres and did not get anything for my old tyres as their condition were quite bad (after running for 55k kms).
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 20:16   #40
BHPian

Am all set to get new shoes for the Liva. But torn between the Bridgestone AR20 & the XM2. Having used and enjoyed the Bridgestone Turanzas to the core, I've an attachment with them. The Michelins are completely unknown territory. Any advice will be mighty mighty appreciated.

Cheers!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 19:57   #41
BHPian

Will be taking delivery of my Etios GD sometime next week, and am thinking of a tyre upgrade.

The stock tyres are Goodyear as I saw them during the PDI at the stockyard. Am considering an upsize to 15 inch rims as well. Will it make the ride very stiff? The TD car at the dealership was a VD version, and I found it to be ok. But as people are saying in this thread, the tyre size on the VD variant is limited on options.
Considering I have a blank template right now, which size do you suggest in 15"?
Old 10th February 2016, 12:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Will be taking delivery of my Etios GD sometime next week, and am thinking of a tyre upgrade.

The stock tyres are Goodyear as I saw them during the PDI at the stockyard. Am considering an upsize to 15 inch rims as well. Will it make the ride very stiff? The TD car at the dealership was a VD version, and I found it to be ok. But as people are saying in this thread, the tyre size on the VD variant is limited on options.
Considering I have a blank template right now, which size do you suggest in 15"?
Hi Sinner,
Hows your new car doing? I am planning to book Etios VD by this week. While at the showroom, I saw a Etios G (petrol version) with a 15 inch rim.
I think you should be even getting in GD with 15 inch by default.

Meanwhile, pls let me know about any tyre upgrades?

Regards
Balaji
Old 29th February 2016, 18:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Hi Sinner,
Hows your new car doing? I am planning to book Etios VD by this week. While at the showroom, I saw a Etios G (petrol version) with a 15 inch rim.
I think you should be even getting in GD with 15 inch by default.

Meanwhile, pls let me know about any tyre upgrades?

Regards
Balaji
Hi Balaji,

Sincerest apologies as I was pre-occupied with a lot of work.

The new car is doing really good - Didnt go ahead with the alloy update, and just upgraded the tyres to 185/65 R14 Yoko Earth1 series. A total dent of INR 5k after the exchange.

All the best for your new car, which color is it?
Old 29th February 2016, 18:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Hi Balaji,

Sincerest apologies as I was pre-occupied with a lot of work.

The new car is doing really good - Didnt go ahead with the alloy update, and just upgraded the tyres to 185/65 R14 Yoko Earth1 series. A total dent of INR 5k after the exchange.

All the best for your new car, which color is it?
No issues Sinner.. I have chosen White. It comes with either good year or mrf or bridgestone. I am waiting to get to know about my tires. Possibly will get to know tomorrow.

Regards
Balaji
Old 13th August 2016, 13:36   #45
BHPian

Best Suited Tyre Upgrade for Toyota Etios

I have a Diesel Toyota Etios (2014 Model GD Variant) which came with Steel Rims and Bridgestone Tubeless Tyres of size 185/60 R15. This car is our domestic runner and is driven pretty ruthlessly by the chauffeur. However, I try to keep it prim and proper to whatever extent I can manage to.

Recently, I got my hands on a Set of 4 OEM Alloy Rims of the Previous Generation Toyota Corolla and had a one to one with the seller before buying the rims and checked the rims to my satisfaction. Specs were same as required for my ETIOS - 15" Rim Size having 4 Holes & 100 PCD. Got them painted Metallic Gunmetal Grey at Alok Automobiles and the Car Now looks much different to the existing Etios's in the city.

Sharing some pictures of the Alloy Rims and my ride :
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-p_20160301_150632_1.jpg

Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-p_20160301_161600_1.jpg

Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-p_20160302_095145-2.jpg

It's been two years, the car has done around 30,000 odd Kilometers and the tyres are not in a very good shape and shall need to be changed in the due coarse of time. After a lot of permutation and combination and with due research (if I may call it) and with due consultation with a couple of the best Tyre Dealers here in Kolkata, I understand that the Best Upsize for the Etios would be as under :

Current Wheel/ Tyre Size : 185/60 R15 (Stock Size from Toyota)
Current Circumference : 1894.38mm

Upsize to Wheel/ Tyre Size : 205/55 R15
Upsized Circumference : 1905.37mm

Difference in Circumference = 10.99mm
Which means that the difference would be less than 1% which makes this upsize the Best Fit
Which in turn means that when your speedo reads 70kmph, you're actually travelling at 70.66kmph

I got these calculation from the TyreStore Website and sharing a link of the same here : http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm Hope this comes in handy for the community.

The Tyre Options that I am looking at (which is available in Kolkata) :
  1. Continental Conti Max Contact 205/55 R15 @ Rs.5,800.00 each
  2. Yokohama S. Drive 205/55 R15 @ Rs.5,750.00 each
  3. Hankook Optimo 205/55 R15 @ Rs.4,900.00 each
  4. MAXXIS MA-Z1 205/55 R15 @ Rs.4,500.00 each
  5. Apollo Acelere 205/55 R15 @ Rs.4,400.00 each

People in the Forum might want to share their views on the above and I would love to have their relevant feedback on the same which shall help me to finalize what I am looking at. Thanks in Advance !!

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 13th August 2016 at 13:53. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks