Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2006, 12:59   #31
BHPian

Some Tech Talk !!

While many people choose alloy wheels for their beauty, there are equally important performance benefits to be derived ...

Performance Benefits of alloy wheels !

Reduced Unsprung Weight Compared to Steel Wheels

This is one of the most critical factors affecting a vehicle's road holding ability. Unsprung weight is that portion of a vehicle that is not supported by the suspension (i.e. wheels, tires and brakes) and therefore most susceptible to road shock and cornering forces. By reducing unsprung weight, alloy wheels provide more precise steering input and improved "turning in" characteristics.

Improved Acceleration and Braking

By reducing the weight of the vehicle's rotational mass, alloy wheels provide more responsive acceleration and braking.

Added Rigidity
The added strength of a quality alloy wheel can significantly reduce wheel/tire deflection in cornering. This is particularly critical with an automobile equipped with high performance tires where lateral forces are high.

Increased Brake Cooling
The metals in alloy wheels are excellent conductors of heat - improving heat dissipation from the brakes - reducing risk of brake fade under demanding conditions. Additionally, alloy wheels can be designed to allow more cooling air to flow over the brakes.

What's the difference in choosing wheels?

Choosing wheels seems very easy.Most differences are cosmetic but some are also practical. Which material is best is a hotly debated topic.

Most common are steel and aluminium alloy, exotic materials like carbon fibres being way out of financial reach of most of-roaders. You simply can't compare them as they are completely different by construction.

Comparison - Alloy Wheel Vs Steel Wheel

Most genuine wheels are made of steel. A stamped inner part is junctioned to a rolled outer rim and now-adays welded together. If you look at older rims,you can still see that they were riveted together. The setup is strong, easy to repair but most important, cheap to fabricate. They can be painted over and over again.Many manufacturers use the same production method but take stronger and/or thicker materials to increase load capacity and they also make them in sizes better suited to after-market tires. The biggest disadvantage of steel is it's weight or rather it's lack of performance. An alloy wheel will accelerate faster and stop quicker as well as reducing load on shocks and steering linkages. How can such a small weight difference make up for a drastic change you may ask. After all the difference will rarely exceed 8 pounds per wheel. This would be true in a static situation. !

But the wheel is a dynamic part on the car. It's weight must be accelarated and braked, it's movements must be tamed. And everyone familiar with physics laws can tell you that a moving parts inertia is completely different from a static part as the rest of the axle is (in this example).
There's a tremdous amount of force stored in a rotating wheel. You need much energy to get it up to speed and you need also good brakes to bring it down. The steering linkages will wear faster too.The heavier a wheel/tire combo the more energy is needed. Similar for shock absorbers. If you have a heavy wheel they will take a beating. So aim for the lowest possible weight.
A steel wheel will also bend much earlier than an alloy wheel. But the distinct advantage is that you can hammer a steel wheel back in shape while an alloy wheel will usually break... So if you intend to do many miles far away from civilization keep the steel.
Old 9th May 2006, 14:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Recomendations for ZEN tyre/alloy upsize

Hi folks,

My friend is in the market for a used zen and is looking at the older generation cars (carb.) He is keen on putting in a new set of tyres & alloys.

What are recommended upsizes for the car and rims ?
How does 14" affect the ride/handling ?

I have ridden shotgun in Amitoj's zen and felt quite allright, but he had altered (stiffened) the suspension to take the engine transplant etc.

Zen owners please post your experiences.
Brands/Specs/Costs would be of great help

Thanks
p.s : Tubeless tyres might not be feasable as he regularly would
be travelling to Coorg and the interior roads there are harsh and
rubber is prone to punctures often.

Last edited by s0uljah : 9th May 2006 at 14:13.
Old 10th May 2006, 04:48   #33
BHPian

This is alrweady been in discussion. please join the forum thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-change-3.html
Old 10th May 2006, 05:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

165/60/R13 seems to be the order of the day for the zens.
Old 10th May 2006, 09:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
p.s : Tubeless tyres might not be feasable as he regularly would
be travelling to Coorg and the interior roads there are harsh and
In this case, i think he needs to make sure that the alloys he goes in for dont chip on strong impacts. I read somewhere on tbhp only that there are alloys that bend instead of chip when abused.
Old 10th May 2006, 10:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

p.s : the interior roads there are harsh and

145/80r12 looks the best option as the ones with lower profiles will mean harsh ride and also make the rims more prone to hits due to lower side walls...

also the Z rating tires being good wet weather tires ,they are softer ...so can get pierced or damaged easily on bad roads

and keep 4-4.5j rims ...

Last edited by speedsatya : 10th May 2006 at 10:29.
Old 10th May 2006, 10:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_bug
This is alrweady been in discussion. please join the forum thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-change-3.html
I tried searching a few times, but it didnt show up. Thanks!
I have brought it to the mods attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
In this case, i think he needs to make sure that the alloys he goes in for dont chip on strong impacts. I read somewhere on tbhp only that there are alloys that bend instead of chip when abused.
Yeah definately will need to bring that to his attention, thanks Amitoj. BTW is goldies running 195/45 r13 if im not mistaken ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
145/80r12 looks the best option as the ones with lower profiles will mean harsh ride and also make the rims more prone to hits due to lower side walls and keep 4-4.5j rims ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
165/60/R13 seems to be the order of the day for the zens.
Satya, isnt this what your also using ? Yeah a lower profile will look good but in the long run might not makes sense as he will need to off road once in a while... also could you please point out the advantage of keeping 4 -4.5j stock size ?

Amitoj/Satya you guys do a fair bit of long distance so your inputs experience is much appreciated

edit: guys if you could please post the costs for your specific setups (tyre+rim) would be helpful.

Last edited by s0uljah : 10th May 2006 at 10:57.
Old 10th May 2006, 11:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html
Given all the information above, you ought to know one last thing.
A rim that is too narrow in relation to the tyre width will allow the tyre to distort excessively sideways under fast cornering. On the other hand, unduly wide rims on an ordinary car tend to give rather a harsh ride because the sidewalls have not got enough curvature to make them flex over bumps and potholes. That's why there is a range of rim sizes for each tyre size
yeah i use 165/60r13 with 5j rims but have lost 4 tires within one and half months due to bad roads ....the grip is superbb but i would advise it if the roads are verry bad ...

stciking to 12 inchers will be more than enough ...about long distance driving ...i have done 1000kms in a single day on the 12 inch tires without any problems
Old 13th May 2006, 21:10   #39
BHPian

Hi Speedsatya,

I went thru the tyre websites,i see a lot of differenec b/w the tyre profile for zen within 2000 and after 2000. Is this true. If so wht is the best for zen after 2000
Old 2nd June 2006, 01:07   #40
BHPian

Need opinions on these choices

Quote:
yeah i use 165/60r13 with 5j rims but have lost 4 tires within one and half months due to bad roads ....the grip is superbb but i would advise it if the roads are verry bad ...

stciking to 12 inchers will be more than enough ...about long distance driving ...i have done 1000kms in a single day on the 12 inch tires without any problems
satya/amitoj/sushrutha and all other who ever joined the thread.... thanks...
OK guys .. here we go..

now lemme scriblle down some of my thoughts and considerations for my wheels ....

Currently my zen runs in 145/80r12 which i think is gud ... but just that i wanted to go 4 an upsize to 13 or 14 inchers ......

1) 165/60r13 bridge stone potenza G3s with 5J alloys...
satya, you are running in this i see ... and according to u it's pretty gud ... sooo i almost considered this one .. and i feel the 99mm sidewalls is pretty fine ........

2) have this 145/70r13 also in consideration..... coz i saw sushrutha's car pic and felt that wud also can be a choice ... i have not heard much feedback on this one .. if anyone can provide ...

4) 185/55r13 (possible for a zen??)
i dunno ... jus tell me if anyone knows or heard about this??

5) OK ... 195/45r14 .. now here is the deal... i really love a 14 inchers on my zen but 'm worried about the riding and FE...... then like all you guys know the bangalore roads ..

So considering the bangalore driving conditions ... and some long drives to outskirts ... what would be the best choice .....

'm confused with so many profiles and openions .. LOL

I'm goanna put probably league alloys ...!!.. what comments on this?

And my tyre is goanna be bridge stone potenza G3s....
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~VinZ~~

Currently my zen runs in 145/80r12 which i think is gud ... but just that i wanted to go 4 an upsize to 13 or 14 inchers ......

1) 165/60r13 bridge stone potenza G3s with 5J alloys...
satya, you are running in this i see ... and according to u it's pretty gud ... sooo i almost considered this one .. and i feel the 99mm sidewalls is pretty fine ........
Best choice in terms of grip n handling....but there are chances of loosing a tyre or two if u crash into something sharp at high speeds......

Quote:
2) have this 145/70r13 also in consideration..... coz i saw sushrutha's car pic and felt that wud also can be a choice ... i have not heard much feedback on this one .. if anyone can provide ...
Worthless upgrade u wont have great grip nor will u have the ride quality...sidewalls only 101mm n width of tyre 145

Quote:

4) 185/55r13 (possible for a zen??)
i dunno ... jus tell me if anyone knows or heard about this??
Not many choices in tyres except for Hankook i think....

Quote:

5) OK ... 195/45r14 .. now here is the deal... i really love a 14 inchers on my zen but 'm worried about the riding and FE...... then like all you guys know the bangalore roads ..
Amitoj can guide u better but again u wont get GIIIs in this size...
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW is goldies running 195/45 r13 if im not mistaken ?

Amitoj/Satya you guys do a fair bit of long distance so your inputs experience is much appreciated
Hey S0uljah, i run on 195/45 R14s. About the experience part, the drive back from Goa to Bangalore through the ghat sections in pouring rain was a testimony to the phenomenal grip and handling. What more can i say?

But Vinz, its NOT a good idea to go for this spec if you are not modifying the suspension also. I really dont know how bad the ride will be with the stock suspension on these tyres, but ur FE will surely go down and ur ride will be harsher too on stock suspension. Also, since the profile is quite low, u will need real strong wheels as well.

I agree with kpzen. 165/60 R13 seems to be the best fit for u.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 2nd June 2006, 13:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

z classe had 185/55r13 on his modded zen ...but then that to had flared wheel arches and modified suspension..

but even for 165/60r13 ..to be on teh safer side you might have to bend the sheet metal inside the wheel arch so that it doesnt cut the tire when the car is fully loaded...any garage can bend this ...

abt tire pressure ..i use 30-32 psi ...but the ride can get a bit bumpy on bad roads
Old 6th June 2006, 09:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
z classe had 185/55r13 on his modded zen ...but then that to had flared wheel arches and modified suspension..

but even for 165/60r13 ..to be on teh safer side you might have to bend the sheet metal inside the wheel arch so that it doesnt cut the tire when the car is fully loaded...any garage can bend this ...

abt tire pressure ..i use 30-32 psi ...but the ride can get a bit bumpy on bad roads
thats a nice peace of info.....!!... i'll see to it ...

thanks amitoj for ur gr8 reply .. helps me aloot..!!....

now anyone has any suggestion on wheels (alloy) ... ?? .......

'm going with 165/60R13 ... wad profile alloys??.....
Old 6th June 2006, 14:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'm going with 165/60R13 ... wad profile alloys??.....
5 j is the ideal size

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks