Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 23:21   #151
BHPian

Finally got new tires installed. 155/70/R12 Apollo Amazer Tubeless. Already feeling a smoother ride and lighter steering. Happy.

Thanks for the advice folks.
Old 10th July 2010, 07:42   #152
BHPian

Hi Jose and qqplus,

Thanks for your comment. Mine is a 2002 5 speedmodel. Few other mods I did are:
1. Autocop Security system - Works fine for the past 8 years
2. Xenos power windows - not as good as Wheels
3. 3 Spoke steering wheel from the old Zen
4. ICU - Sony XPlod, JBL front and rear speakers, Pioneer tweeters
5. Aura 12 spoke alloys costed me 8K for 4 in 2002 on Birdgestone Turanza costed 8.2K in 2007

future plan is to fit an Esteem AC Compressor shortly as the current one bearing is worn out and makes a grrrrrr........... noise.

Happy Motoring
Old 8th November 2010, 20:40   #153
BHPian

New tires for my M800

During Diwali holidays, I changed the tires of my M800 to Michelin XM1+ 155/70/R12 with new rims. Cost is 2500/- for each tire and 780/- for each rim.

And now, I'm facing the problem of rear wheel scraping the wheel arches. What is the correct air pressure for this size on M800? I've filled the air at 30 psi. What can be done to solve this?

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-dsc06628.jpg

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_4480.jpg

Regards,
Jose.
Old 8th November 2010, 20:56   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
During Diwali holidays, I changed the tires of my M800 to Michelin XM1+ 155/70/R12 with new rims. Cost is 2500/- for each tire and 780/- for each rim.

And now, I'm facing the problem of rear wheel scraping the wheel arches. What is the correct air pressure for this size on M800? I've filled the air at 30 psi. What can be done to solve this?

Attachment 450837

Attachment 450838

Regards,
Jose.
Something wrong with the suspension ? has it sagged ? Because Ram Sir still has 145/80/R12 and even I had that in my 800 and our rear or front never used to scrape, even with full loads. 155/70/R12 should not scrape at all.

30 Psi is perfect. Check out if the rear plastic above the wheel has become loose and touching the wheel ? Or maybe the suspension has gone bad and decreased the ride height !
Old 8th November 2010, 21:14   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Something wrong with the suspension ? has it sagged ? Because Ram Sir still has 145/80/R12 and even I had that in my 800 and our rear or front never used to scrape, even with full loads. 155/70/R12 should not scrape at all.

30 Psi is perfect. Check out if the rear plastic above the wheel has become loose and touching the wheel ? Or maybe the suspension has gone bad and decreased the ride height !
Humyum, I don't think anything is wrong with the suspension. May be it has sagged.

Like you said, I'll check the plastic above the wheel and also the bumper.

In case if the suspension has sagged, what can be done?

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:36   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Humyum, I don't think anything is wrong with the suspension. May be it has sagged.

Thanks,
Jose.
Same problem I faced when i replaced tyres on my 800 about 2 months back. I wanted to sell my car and did not want to spent a fortune on tyres, Iopted for TOP brand Chinese tyres from CST Road.In all I paid 4600/- for all 4 tyres.Now regarding scraping of tyres to mudguard it can be easily solved by changing the rear KADA or rings with rubber on springs get oversizes rings the mechanic will change them and it will increase the height at the rear . Then you will not have problem of tyre scraping the mudguard. See the photos I am posting at the time of changing the tyres, the person who did the job is a good friend of mine and he did the wheel balancing, alighnment job total labour cost 200/-.very very resonable.
I have covered about 2400 kms after change without a punture or any other issue.Car is moving very smoothly with them.Sorry for poor photos it was very dark and I was using my cell phone to click the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0044a.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0044a01.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0045a.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0045a01.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0046a.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0047a.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0049a.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0053a.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img0054a.jpg  

Old 9th November 2010, 19:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Jose.
What kind of Suspension does your 800 have ? From the Pic I am 99% certain its the Zen type. Well in that case i am 99% sure its the plastic which is fouling with the tyres. Push it in with a hammer and you should be on your way.

This problem should have not happened in the first place, dunno why it happened in your case as many of us are/were running with 145/80/R12 and we never had any problems.
Old 9th November 2010, 23:12   #158
BHPian

The Michelin XM1+ 155/70/R12 dos foul with the rear wheel arch , i had put changed the OE amazers to the Michelins on the day that i bought the car New last year , and it has been a problem since then .

I have however now replaced the Michelins with new Yokohama 165/65/12 tyres in July and the problem is now restricted to the Rear Right side only.
Old 9th November 2010, 23:35   #159
BHPian

^^
Strange - I am using Michelins in that size (and goodyear before that) for more than 1L km and never had any fouling. My car is a 2001 model with a leaf spring setup in the rear.

Stock rims and no spacers.
Old 9th November 2010, 23:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
^^
Strange - I am using Michelins in that size (and goodyear before that) for more than 1L km and never had any fouling. My car is a 2001 model with a leaf spring setup in the rear.

Stock rims and no spacers.
Perhaps the Leaf spring setup is the key here. Anyhow my car was bought new and this has been a problem since day 1 , i have solved it by using the car alone without any rear passengers
Old 10th November 2010, 00:48   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Perhaps the Leaf spring setup is the key here. Anyhow my car was bought new and this has been a problem since day 1 , i have solved it by using the car alone without any rear passengers
But I had Zen type suspension in my 1998 800 and the 145/80/R12's never used to foul with the wheel arch even at full loads. Used it for 20 thousand kilometers before I sold the car, and I saw the car on the road before I left for the UK and it still had the same tyres. Ram Sir's 800 still has the same tyres and his is the Zen type suspension too in the 800.
Old 11th November 2010, 06:05   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
What kind of Suspension does your 800 have ? From the Pic I am 99% certain its the Zen type. Well in that case i am 99% sure its the plastic which is fouling with the tyres. Push it in with a hammer and you should be on your way.

This problem should have not happened in the first place, dunno why it happened in your case as many of us are/were running with 145/80/R12 and we never had any problems.
humyum, my car has a leaf spring suspension. Must be the same for Zen as well. What type is suspension does Zen have?

The scraping happens only on the rear right tire. I've noticed that in my car, the corner of bumper at RHS is not fixed properly. May be the tire scrapes this part of the bumper. I also checked inside of the wheel arches. There is no plastic part, except for an area covered by the bumper. If the wheel scrapes the body or the bumper, can I confirm this by checking if these parts get hot?

I'm waiting to meet my mechanic and increase the height of suspension. Let's see how it works. Will increasing the height by 1 inch affect handling?

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 11th November 2010, 07:06   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
humyum, my car has a leaf spring suspension. Must be the same for Zen as well. What type is suspension does Zen have?

The scraping happens only on the rear right tire. I've noticed that in my car, the corner of bumper at RHS is not fixed properly. May be the tire scrapes this part of the bumper. I also checked inside of the wheel arches. There is no plastic part, except for an area covered by the bumper. If the wheel scrapes the body or the bumper, can I confirm this by checking if these parts get hot?

I'm waiting to meet my mechanic and increase the height of suspension. Let's see how it works. Will increasing the height by 1 inch affect handling?

Thanks,
Jose.
Coil Spring suspension is what I had in my 800. It was a 1998 DX model. The Non DX model's had leaf spring suspensions behind. Instead of raising the height and getting into those complexities, why not get the bumper fixed ? With your tyre size i ll never scrape the insides if the suspension has not sagged.

1 inch should not affect handling considerably but in my opinion, your solution lies in simpler solutions rather than the complexities of raising the suspension.
Old 21st November 2010, 09:40   #164
BHPian

Hi guys i just got the tyres of my m-800 changed to Apollo Amazer 3g tubeless tyres. Earlier she was running on 145/80R12 section tyres since bingeing but for the lust of a bit more acceleration i shod her with 145/70R12 this time. Now my question is that earlier I was getting 23-24kmpl on highway, now how much dip in kmpl should I expect? also I am getting a feel of going faster for e.g. what feel I use to get at 60kmph, now I am getting same feel at 50 but according to the calculations shouldn't I feel the contrary i.e. feeling of going slower due to reduced Speedo reading(please correct me if I am wrong somewhere)
Regarding the acceleration, there is a bit more pull in 3rd gear now :-)

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 21st November 2010 at 09:41. Reason: Addition of line
Old 21st November 2010, 22:01   #165
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Bumping up your own query is strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, it is considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2010 at 21:15.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks