Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:42   #46
BHPian

So I think I have realized my mistake. I should have stuck to the OEM tyre size of 175/65 R14.

The Brio has OEM 14" 5J width alloy wheels and the 185/65 R14 Michelin XM2 tyre tends to bulge out its sidewall when installed on OEM Brio alloy rims. These are better suited for 5.5J width alloy rims.

This unusual sidewall bulge made cornering and handling at higher speeds a wee bit scary as now there was a pronounced body roll. The stock OEM 175/65 R14s didn't roll as much.

Since I also have an older gen city (with 14", 5.5J rims), I swapped the City's Yokohama tyres with my Brio's Michelins. Even though the Yokohama are the same size as the Michelins (185/65 R14) they have a stiffer sidewall as compared to the softer sidewall Michelins.

The Brio immediately handled better. Steering was more precise, that 'lofty' feeling of the Michelin tyres has gone. I haven't taken it on the highway yet, but I'm sure it'll be all good.

My tyre pressures are 29 psi front and 27 psi at the back with a single passenger (me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik View Post
I too have replaced the stock JK Tyres with Michelin Earth XM2 185/65 R14 couple of months back? I havent noticed any body roll though. I am maintaining 29 PSI (Front) and 26 PSI (Rear), but the tyres have quite a "thump" feedback when it does over potholes. What tyre pressure is recommended here?
That 'Thump' is probably the sidewall compressing under load. I too used to experience it but never bothered.
The Brio has soft springs upfront. The Michelins makes the ride softer. While this might work well in the city at slow speeds, highway dynamics are ruined.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2019 at 09:30. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 9th December 2019, 15:16   #47
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I maintain a tyre pressure of 29 psi (both front and rear) in the city and bump it up to 32 psi before heading out into the highway. I haven't noticed any prominent increase in body roll on highways with this pressure.
Old 13th December 2019, 20:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
That 'Thump' is probably the sidewall compressing under load. I too used to experience it but never bothered.
The Brio has soft springs upfront. The Michelins makes the ride softer. While this might work well in the city at slow speeds, highway dynamics are ruined.
Understood. Two questions then:

1. Does that mean the pressure on the side walls is too much then - since its bulging out more?

2. Should I maintain a higher tyre pressure - say 33 (front) and 29 (rear) - to compensate the bulge?
Old 13th December 2019, 22:20   #49
BHPian

No not necessarily...its the tyre wall which is made softer to compress easier which in turn provides a plush ride.
I really don’t think increasing tyre pressure is going to help. I tried it but the handling got affected. Lower pressure reduced the roll but might take a toll on tyre life. Let’s see. What size are you running?
I still feel the earlier Yokohamas worked better on the city. For the Brio, the Michelin in stock size will make a better tyre.
The thing is we can upsize tyres but the OE Brio suspension and OE rims are not designed to offer a firm ride. That’s how it’s made!

Getting back to suspension, does anyone here know of any aftermarket struts for the City/ Brio. If so please share any details available
Thanks!

Last edited by ajmat : 13th December 2019 at 22:50.
Old 4th January 2020, 03:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
No not necessarily...its the tyre wall which is made softer to compress easier which in turn provides a plush ride.
I really don’t think increasing tyre pressure is going to help. I tried it but the handling got affected. Lower pressure reduced the roll but might take a toll on tyre life. Let’s see. What size are you running?
I still feel the earlier Yokohamas worked better on the city. For the Brio, the Michelin in stock size will make a better tyre.
The thing is we can upsize tyres but the OE Brio suspension and OE rims are not designed to offer a firm ride. That’s how it’s made!

Getting back to suspension, does anyone here know of any aftermarket struts for the City/ Brio. If so please share any details available
Thanks!
bilstien b14 made for the jazz or fit i think should do the job, considering getting a set for my brio as well.
check out this thread for a bit more info https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4115381 (Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited)
Old 7th January 2020, 22:52   #51
BHPian

BTW been a lurker too long, Have been running 195/60/r14 S drives on the stock wheels.
Pros
1.ride quality
2.high speed stability
3.better cornering ability and confidence
4.vastly improved braking
Cons
1.tyre bulge on the 5j wheel, causes vagueness and excessive tyre movement (lateral)
2.extremely noisy, trademark Sdrive.
3.abou 10%drop in FE
4.lower rate of acceleration

planning to upgrade to 15" lightweight forged alloys and new Amaze front suspension.
Old 17th February 2020, 10:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser_yank View Post
planning to upgrade to 15" lightweight forged alloys and new Amaze front suspension.
The Amaze front end strut( McPherson) should be similar/ same to the on one the Brio.

The Amaze diesel's front struts might be a better option considering it'll be stiffer than the petrol variant's front struts.

I am planning to change the Brio's front end suspension as well. Would be nice to know if the Amaze has better struts.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th February 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Old 12th October 2020, 13:18   #53

Hi Everyone,

Background:
My 2013 model Brio is about 28K KMS done (used very sparingly) and I've been facing the issue with reduction of air pressure consistently (about 3- 5 psi in a span of 10 days). Im believe this is due to a slight bend in the alloys in one wheel in which I'm losing 6 -8 psi per week (I had swapped the tyre in this wheel and after some rubbing / cleaning of alloy sidewalls last year this was temporarily fixed).

Query:
After more than 6 years with the car, I'm planning to pamper my car a little and want to start with the wheels.
1) In my case, please suggest if I should be going with a change in alloys (I like the current ones and if the problem with pressure loss can be fixed with tyre change alone I would be happy with it.
2) If alloy change is required, please suggest options.
3) I went through the recommendations for tyre upgrade in this thread. Looks like 185/ 65 seems to be the common consensus. Anyone who has changed it to 185/ 65, please let us know your thoughts. Any suggestions on the brand is welcome. (Consider me a noob when it comes to tyres )
4) Slightly off topic but pertaining to Brio: My car AC performance is quite weak, cooling on a hot and sunny day is not adequate/ fast and my wife complains of foul smell (although I'm not able to notice). What is the recommended work for this? I've got the AC cleaned a couple of times before this.

Thanks you all in advance.
Keep safe and drive safe.
srikisays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 17:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I'm planning to swap the OE wheels and rubber with some decent alloys and upsized tyres right at the time of delivery.
Hi, do you remember 2015 brio came with which company tyres?
I am trying assess something while buying a used brio, this info will help.

Thanks in advance
Old 5th August 2022, 20:00   #55

Hi Brio fans,

I'm trying to find OEM set of 4 alloys for the Brio, in Kochi or anywhere in Kerala. Maybe even Banglore.

I've been looking all over and can't find a set.

Can anyone help / guide ?

Or any of your Brio owners have an OEM set lying idle after the upgrade ?

Please advise. Thank you.
Old 22nd September 2022, 14:39   #56
BHPian

Hi Brio Owners,

Just updated the Tyre's of my Honda Brio 2011 Manual 26667kms, with Yokohama Earth 1 (185x65x14) at Madhu's Tyre Centre, Wilson Garden, Bangalore on the 21st of Sept 2022.

Set of 4 Tyre costed 20,000INR
5 Wheel Balancing and Alignment costed 1,300INR inclusive of 20% discount.
Time for Tyre Change, Balancing and Alignment - 45mins, (No Appointment)

Looks:- The New Tyre Fills up the Wheel Well nicely and adds character to the Brio.
Ride:- Surprising good, the car feels planted and feels nice to push, also noticed there seems to be little increase in the ground clearance - (Perceived Increase).

Next Update Planned:-
1) Good Mats - preferable 3d or 7d waterproof (Bangalore seems like a big lake these days) - Any suggestion?
2) Thinking of a wireless Apple Play / Car Play head unit, with Front and Rear Camera. - Any suggestion?
3) LED Headlight and Fog Lamps - Looking for Osram unit. to be done tomorrow.
4) DRL with floating Indicator look - Any suggestions ?
5) Update All Filters (Air, Oil, etc) - to K&N.. Any suggestions here?

PS. this is a Beater car, used to run errands around our home. But with sunny showing interest in learning, i think this would be a nice time to bring in some updates.
rajchetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 15:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikisays View Post
3) I went through the recommendations for tyre upgrade in this thread. Looks like 185/ 65 seems to be the common consensus. Anyone who has changed it to 185/ 65, please let us know your thoughts. Any suggestions on the brand is welcome. (Consider me a noob when it comes to tyres )
See my post above, I just up-sized to 185x65x14 works like a Charm.

regarding Alloy Wheel Bend, you should take it to a proper Wheel Balancing store, they would be able to guide you better on what needs to be done with your Alloy wheel.
Old 14th April 2023, 10:54   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
3) LED Headlight and Fog Lamps - Looking for Osram unit. to be done tomorrow.
@Rajchetan Did you end up upgrading these?
Would love to hear more.
Old 14th April 2023, 10:57   #59

Hi everyone,
Any recommendations on current tyres for the Brio?

Was considering the Falken SN835, not much information on them.

There are the Earth 1s of course. Any idea on how the noise level on them is?
Old 15th June 2023, 10:21   #60

Bumping the thread to hear more.

Most Viewed