Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 09:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Completed 60k kms on MC5 tyres and looks like they still have some more life left in them.

These tyres have lasted me more than any of the previous sets. (Goodyear GT3 - 50k kms. Yokohama AVS dB - 48k kms).

Im getting my new City in two weeks (V MT) comes shod with 175 section tyre. I plan to upgrade to 195. Was confused between Yoko Earth1 and ContiMax. After reading the tread I was worried about how much would the tyre last. Your post seems pretty assuring to me that it will atleast do 50K Kms

Also I wanted to know how good is the tyre performance on broken/Indian road conditions? Is it worth it for me to opt for Conti over Yoko? Kindly help. Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 09:33   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Was confused between Yoko Earth1 and ContiMax.

Is it worth it for me to opt for Conti over Yoko? Kindly help. Thanks
Continental any day over Yokohama based on the experiences in my friends circle. Earth1 also seems to turn rough towards the second half of its life cycle. My experience with the MC5 has been a lot better than the Yoko AVS dB.

However, I would also suggest you to look at Michelin P3ST. Slightly expensive to purchase, but seems to be worth every penny. I'm changing to this once the Conti gives up.

Check below posts -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4399780

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4235613
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Replaced 185/60 R15 84T rated Apollo Alnacs in my 2014 Polo GT TSI with 195/60 R15 88V rated Continental Max Contact MC5 last month.

Alnacs suffered one puncture but served well, maybe close to end of life after 42K kms
Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-img_20180519_113204.jpg

New boots! Authorised Continental dealer in Vashi, Navi Mumbai had week 09, 2018 manufactured tyres
Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-img20180602wa0003.jpg

Decided on the MC5 after a very close comparison with the Michelin Primacy 3ST. Finally price weighed in the decision but that said, stores in general seem least inclined to sell Continentals

The driving experience after having the MC5 on was nothing short of a revelation. These tyres make for really silent running especially after using noisy Alnacs. NVH levels seem improved to a higher class of vehicle, corroborated by (handsfree) calls from inside the car where I was asked if I was still at work

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 2nd June 2018 at 12:39.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 20:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Replaced 185/60 R15 84T rated Apollo Alnacs in my 2014 Polo GT TSI with 195/60 R15 88V rated Continental Max Contact MC5 last month.
How much did they cost you a piece? I got it here in Noida for 5600 per tyre.
Old 15th June 2018, 21:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
How much did they cost you a piece?
5500/- per tyre, alignment included but extra for wheel balancing (weights).
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 16:49   #21
BHPian

Need to change my tires in my Linea T-Jet.

205 55/R16

Split between Continental MC5 and Yoko ADrive. R1

Car runs very little, but I want every km to be enjoyable, grippy tires needed.

Which one should I go for?
Old 11th July 2018, 17:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
205 55/R16

Split between Continental MC5 and Yoko ADrive. R1
A-Drive R1 is anything but grippy. Its a cheap tyre masquerading to be an expensive tyre. This is a no contest - get the MC5. You won't be disappointed.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 17:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
A-Drive R1 is anything but grippy. Its a cheap tyre masquerading to be an expensive tyre. This is a no contest - get the MC5. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks.

Seller also has Michelin St3 and Pirelli P7s. But right now I am leaning towards the MC5. Your views?
Old 11th July 2018, 19:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Thanks.

Seller also has Michelin St3 and Pirelli P7s. But right now I am leaning towards the MC5. Your views?
Michelins are equally good. You'll get better ride due to slightly softer sidewalls but a bit more body roll as a result.

Pirellis are not suited for Indian roads. They are way too susceptible to cuts and punctures.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 19:21   #25
BHPian

Replaced the stock 195/55 R16 good years on my elite i20 at around 29k mark as my front right was punctured by a stone. The puncture was a good couple of cm wide and it couldn’t be fixed. Also, the front left has multiple (around 7 I guess) micro punctures. So I decided to replace all 4 tyres and continue using the spare as a spare.

I went ahead and bought continental MC5s for Rs 6600 a piece and done wheel balancing for Rs. 400 at Sundar tyres, Royapettah. Lal tyres opposite Sathyam cinemas parking lot and Sundar tyres, adjacent to the other lal tyres, offered the lowest prices. I went ahead with Sundar tyres as I liked the way they handled customers and also they did not charge any fee for card transaction.

Now coming to the tyres, I have used them for around 5k km as I write this and the first noticeable difference is how quite these tyres are and they also soak up the road undulation very well. The old good years were horrible, they made an annoying noise at speeds above 90km/h and for this reason alone it is worth considering replacing the OE stock tyres.

Overall I think that it is money well spent.

P.S. There are around 3 new bridge construction activities going on near my place. Roads have been dug up and left in a pathetic condition with rubble strewn all around. It was here in one these places that my tyre got destroyed.
Old 17th July 2018, 12:18   #26
NTO
BHPian

Re: Review: MRF Perfinza Tyres

I was in this situation in April of last year when I had to change the tyres for my Vento (nicknamed Fento). The car came with stock Apollo Alnac tyres (185-60 R15). These tyres did a good job of running for 30000 kms with another 5000 Kms life remaining. I never felt the necessity to upgrade the size of the tyres however, the wheel and tyre combination always left the wheel well look like that of an SUV's with the jacked up stance of Fento at the rear. Hence, I wanted to upsize a little. This was when VAG started to install stock Rapid and Vento with 195-55-R16 tyres and 16" wheels. So, the purist in me gave a positive nod for tyre upsizing. The car's stock alloy wheels were among the strongest with zero abrasion in the period of 3 years and no bend or crack issues. However, I felt, the looks could be improved significantly with a new set of wheels. To my surprise, there are very limited options available for wheels in the 16" size however, lots of options were available for 17". However, I did not want to risk any damage to the car and did not want to compromise on the ride quality that my Fento offers. So I stuck to 16" and started to look for options available, offline, online, within India, abroad, almost everywhere. Finally I found a set online and took the pictures to BM Lal in Chennai. They sourced the wheels with in a week and gave me a call back.
Here are the wheels:
Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-wheels.jpg

I also feel, the rear wheel arch is well covered now. The difference in diameter of both the tyre and wheel combo is minimal though!
Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-side-view.jpg
Name:  Tyre comparison.PNG
Views: 9071
Size:  6.4 KB

Now it was the time to decide on the tyres as I was all ready to head to BM lal to get a new set of shoes for my Fento. I did not want to go beyond 195s as I never felt the need of additional grip with the Alnac's 185 itself. The primary consideration here was the ride quality as there was a compromise in the tyre profile moving from 15" to 16". So, I wanted to pick a soft compound tyre that would last for 30K kms. I didnt want anything more. On the D day after going to the showroom and with all the research in the back of my mind, I chose the MC5 (195-55 R16).

It is 15K Kms since the tyre change and the grove depth has gone down by 0.7 - 0.8 mm. The driving pattern has been 40% highways and 60% city.
Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-groove-depth.jpg

The tyres offer excellent grip and the ride quality has improved (might be due to the struts weakening with age). However, I am extremely happy with MC5s and one best angle shot of my Fento to end the post.
Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-stance.jpg
NTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 08:51   #27
BHPian

Hello, any user with feedback on MC5 on All new Ford Fiesta. thank you.
My car comes with factory fitted Goodyears and they served well for 40000 KMs. They look strong for another 5000 KMs. There is a good Amazon offer on MC5 which would make it 4300 per piece for 195/60 R15 which is the standard size. July-Aug 2018 make. Thinking of biting the bullet.

views welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
Hello, any user with feedback on MC5 on All new Ford Fiesta. thank you.
My car comes with factory fitted Goodyears and they served well for 40000 KMs. They look strong for another 5000 KMs. There is a good Amazon offer on MC5 which would make it 4300 per piece for 195/60 R15 which is the standard size. July-Aug 2018 make. Thinking of biting the bullet.

views welcome. Thank you in advance.
Hi gkoneti, I am running MC5s on my Fiesta. I replaced the stock Goodyears with Continental ContiMax MC5 at 38k kms and have covered 20k kms since then.

Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-2.jpg

I had the option of either the MC5 or the Primacy 3ST. Both the tyres were pretty much even on paper. The Michelin looked more durable but I chose the Conti because I wanted to experience the slightly sportier profile.

Review: Continental MC5 tyres on my Honda Civic-1.jpg

Let me share the bad part of the tyre first. In the first 2k kms of running, the front left tyre had bust its side wall. My father was at the wheel when it happened, he is a pretty safe driver and he couldn't recollect doing anything to damage it. The tyre was replaced at half cost by the dealer on a goodwill basis.

Apart from this once incident, the rest has been pure bliss. It grips and grips some more. A car like the Fiesta surely deserves the MC5. The wet weather grip is also pretty up there although, I feel the Michelin will be a much better bet while wading through water. The steering feel is lively and you know exactly what the front wheels are doing. On the Goodyears, I used to experience understeer but there is none of it on the MC5.

There are limitations though. You will have to break a sweat while traversing a broken path because it is a soft compound tyre and has a softer sidewall. If you aren't careful, you don't really have to look for a puncture, it will happen. The life of the MC5, as quoted by the dealer was anywhere between 35-40k kms, which is significantly less that the other harder compound tyres. Also, please note, the MC5s have an asymmetrical thread pattern so wheel alignment, balancing and rotation is very important to keep them running well for a long time.

Coming to the price, I changed to MC5s in November 2016 and I had purchased them at INR ~4900 a piece, which means your deal is pretty awesome. I think you should go for it unless your driving includes a lot of broken patches.

Last edited by Porschefire : 5th November 2018 at 10:28.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 20:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hi gkoneti, I am running MC5s on my Fiesta. I replaced the stock Goodyears with Continental ContiMax MC5 at 38k kms and have covered 20k kms since then.
Thanks a ton Porschefire. Yes, i do lot of bad roads. Sadly then MC5 is not for me. Am not too keen on Michelins due to cost. Any views on Yokohama ? Goodyear Assurance ?
thanks.
Old 7th November 2018, 09:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoneti View Post
Thanks a ton Porschefire. Yes, i do lot of bad roads. Sadly then MC5 is not for me. Am not too keen on Michelins due to cost. Any views on Yokohama ? Goodyear Assurance ?
thanks.
I'm not too sure about Yokohama or Goodyear. Goodyears are usually provided as OE fitment on most cars, I had them on my Getz and Fiesta. They were less than average when it came to grip and(or) durability which gave me a negative perception about the brand itself, so I tend to stay away. The problem with Yokohama I feel is their portfolio in India consists of either cost effective tyres or for the luxury market only with nothing in between.

I could be wrong in my assumption of both Goodyear and Yokohama. My suggestion is to go to your friendly neighborhood dealer and ask for his advice. While on the topic, why don't you try something in MRF? Our very own tyre expert here, Nikhil, had some really good things to say about MRF.

Last edited by Porschefire : 7th November 2018 at 09:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks