165/80 R14 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2021, 14:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_goyal2000 View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply & suggestion.
If I do change all 4 tyres, should I stick with stock size or upsize?
If upsize, then which one since there are many sizes mentioned in the thread.
Kindly also suggest the brands. I am more inclined towards Michelin/Bridgestone subject to availability.
Thanks.
With your kind of usage pattern (30,000 km in 5 years, in city) upsize won't matter. You won't notice any difference too.

Same about brand. I generally go for more wear resistant tyres that last long. Because I will run around 60k - 70k in 5 years. If you are running around 30k in 5 years, even softer tyres would do. Softer tyres are generally (marketed as) more silent and they are costlier.

After stock JK Vectra, I used Ultramile UM551. That time they used to be very very cost effective and really served me well. I used them for 60,000 km. I wanted to buy another set of Ultramile UM551 but these are imported and their price advantage has reduced a lot during the pandemic. So this time, I purchased Ceat Milaze. This is again a good combination of price and life.

For your kind of usage, you can select from Ceat, MRF, Apollo, Michelin, Yokohama. I won't recommend JK because many members (though not me) have bad experience with them.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 10th July 2021 at 14:59.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 15:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
With your kind of usage pattern (30,000 km in 5 years, in city) upsize won't matter. You won't notice any difference too.

Same about brand. I generally go for more wear resistant tyres that last long. Because I will run around 60k - 70k in 5 years. If you are running around 30k in 5 years, even softer tyres would do. Softer tyres are generally (marketed as) more silent and they are costlier.

After stock JK Vectra, I used Ultramile UM551. That time they used to be very very cost effective and really served me well. I used them for 60,000 km. I wanted to buy another set of Ultramile UM551 but these are imported and their price advantage has reduced a lot during the pandemic. So this time, I purchased Ceat Milaze. This is again a good combination of price and life.

For your kind of usage, you can select from Ceat, MRF, Apollo, Michelin, Yokohama. I won't recommend JK because many members (though not me) have bad experience with them.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have one last concern with tyres.
Noise.
My existing Goodyear makes a lot of noise.
My old WagonR had stock Bridgestone, current City has market Michelin and both were silent as compared to Goodyear.
If I'm going for stock size, I'd like to purchase a tyre brand with low noise compared to Goodyear.
Thanks.
Old 10th July 2021, 15:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_goyal2000 View Post
I have one last concern with tyres.
Noise.
My existing Goodyear makes a lot of noise.
My old WagonR had stock Bridgestone, current City has market Michelin and both were silent as compared to Goodyear.
If I'm going for stock size, I'd like to purchase a tyre brand with low noise compared to Goodyear.
Thanks.
Michelin are known for low noise. Ask the dealer to suggest silent running models of tyres of 2-3 brands, to choose from. Besides the silent running, have a look at the stiffness and thickness of the rolling surface. I don't prefer tyres that are thin below the groove.

I push on the groove in the middle of the width to check the stiffness. And to feel the thickness, I press from the inside.

Also see if the sidewall is thick and sturdy enough.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 15:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Michelin are known for low noise. Ask the dealer to suggest silent running models of tyres of 2-3 brands, to choose from. Besides the silent running, have a look at the stiffness and thickness of the rolling surface. I don't prefer tyres that are thin below the groove.

I push on the groove in the middle of the width to check the stiffness. And to feel the thickness, I press from the inside.

Also see if the sidewall is thick and sturdy enough.
Will update here when I get the tyres changed.
Old 13th August 2021, 21:53   #65

Helloo!

I am a fellow Xcent owner looking to replace the current set of tyres.

Details about my car are as below:
Model: Xcent Petrol SX (O)
Purchase date: August 2014
Odometer reading: 42000 Kms
Tyre: Bridgestone B250 175/60R15 (Stock ones!)

As you can see, the car has not done a lot of KMs and the majority of these having been city roads or occasional highways. So the wear on the tyres has been very low but since the last year, I've noticed tiny cracks all over the tyre. I am guessing this might be due to the degradation of the rubber as the tyres are very old. Although the ride quality is still not bad I do feel the car deviating on highways which has not been fixed even after getting the wheels aligned and balanced multiple times. In any case, I want to replace the tyres after reading the various suggestions and insights from all of you.

I have been fairly happy with the performance of the current tyres over the last 7 years I thought I will go with the same brand and size. Having gone through the options from Bridgestone and reading positive reviews I have finalised the B290 175/60R15. They are the same size as the current B250s on my car so the performance will be at least similar if not better.

Now comes the real problem - the availability (or the lack thereof). I've checked with various dealers in Pune over the last 6 months and it's out of stock everywhere. They are suggesting tyre upsizing and giving some illogical justification just to avoid losing the sale(or that's what I feel).

Can anyone advise where I can get my hands on the 175/60R15 B290s in Pune?

If you have any other recommendations in terms of tyres I will really appreciate it.

Cheers!
Old 14th September 2021, 17:32   #66
BHPian

Car - Grand i10 2016
My running is low but tyres are getting old. Planning to change tyres. It's currently on OE Good Year 165/65/R14 DP-H1 which i feel strictly average. Road noise is high, ride and handling is average.

I want to upgrade to 175/65/R14. Is it possible to upgrade to that size on stock rims? Suggest some tyres which fairs well in less road noise, nice ride and handling with good grip.
Old 14th March 2022, 10:54   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcentSXO14 View Post
Now comes the real problem - the availability (or the lack thereof). I've checked with various dealers in Pune over the last 6 months and it's out of stock everywhere. They are suggesting tyre upsizing and giving some illogical justification just to avoid losing the sale(or that's what I feel).

I too have Xcent SX(O) 2014 at 110k kms now and have faced the same problem of availability of the Bridgestones. My first change was done at around 45k and had to live with a 3 year old stock. While changing the tyres at 90k, I opted for Goodyear Assurance 175/60 R15 81H. Availability seems to be much better now with all brands since Tigor has also started using the same size.

Road noise is higher with the Goodyears but it's liveable.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th May 2022 at 19:11. Reason: Please quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 14th March 2022, 11:15   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcentSXO14 View Post

If you have any other recommendations in terms of tyres I will really appreciate it.
After checking multiple tyre dealerships in my hometown of Trivandrum, I finally went ahead with CEAT Securadrive 175/60R15. Was initial sceptical of this tyre, but then - it comes stock with the Slavia 1.5 TSi (though in 195 section) - so it should be decent enough for an Xcent. Initial impression is good.

Price is significantly lesser than competition too! Costed 3800/- each. Other tyres are being sold at quite a premium since this is a rare size and only few dealers keep stock.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th March 2022 at 11:17.
Old 28th May 2022, 14:20   #69

Based on very useful inputs from this group, got 4 of my tyres changed to Yokohoma 165/70 R14 81T E400 from stock apollo 3g 165/65 tyres. Retained one of the 165/65 tyres as a stepney. Total cost was Rs 15,450 that included Rs 3350 per tyre, Rs 900 for wheel alignment and balancing and Rs 1150 for 5 valves. Location was Kochi. Had checked out Bridgestone also that was only Rs 150 more per tyre and had 3 years of unconditional warranty in another shop but finally went ahead with Yokohoma even though it had only 18 months of unconditional warranty as the Yokohoma dealer/shop was closer to home!
Old 24th June 2022, 13:38   #70

Re: Increasing Tyre Sidewall : For A Cushy Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Hello BHPians, I hope you all are doing well.

The harsh ride quality at front of this car has been the concern since Day 1 and the front seats were terrible too. I got them swapped for Verna 2011-2016’s seats which have eased matters by 50%. (Will post a separate thread with photos)
@dr.aviansh, You have mentioned that you've changed the front seats of i10 with the ones of Verna, could you please create a thread and post the link here. That would be really helpful.
Old 28th June 2022, 13:55   #71
BHPian

https://https://www.team-bhp.com/for...absorbers.html

Hi, this is a detailed description of how I dealt with Grand i10.
If any issues, you may inbox me.
dr.aviansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 13:10   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
https://https://www.team-bhp.com/for...absorbers.html

Hi, this is a detailed description of how I dealt with Grand i10.
If any issues, you may inbox me.
Hi Avinash,

I gone through the above mentioned thread, which is basically a discussion on stiffer suspension. But I was not looking for that, I am interested in knowing you DIY Seat swap of Verna to G-i10 . If you have any info available please make a thread, that would be really helpful because it's rare to find a DIY to swap seats between 2 different models.

Cheers
Old 15th September 2022, 17:10   #73

Hi members,

I recently bought a used Grand i10 Sportz (O) AT from Spinny. The car is 5 years old (Sep 2017) but hasn’t been driven much (6500km) by the previous owner.

It has alloy wheels with stock Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx tyres (165/65/R14). I drove the car for around 1000km in the last 3 months in Mumbai and haven’t noticed any significant problem as such (may be because I am a newbie driver). Although fuel efficiency is only ~10km/l so far (I guess that’s fair as it is a torque converter?)

Would be really helpful if anyone can throw some light on my queries below.

1) Replacement timing: I insisted all tyres to be changed while buying but the Spinny guy maintained that the tyres have a life of at least 20k-30k km left in them. Now given the tyres are 5 years old but seem to be in good condition, should I consider replacing them now or 1-2 years later?

2) Upgrade: Irrespective of the replacement timing, should I consider an upgrade (in size and brand) given my usage requirement is mostly for office commute in peak traffic hours in the city? If yes, please suggest the appropriate size and brand.

3) Tyre repair: This is minor observation. One of the rear tyres slowly lost pressure to 24psi couple of weeks back, while other tyres were at 30-32psi. Got all 4 filled up to 33psi and the pressure seems to be maintained now. If it was a puncture, that tyre should have lost pressure by now right? Really couldn’t understand why the pressure loss happened in the first place and if I should get that tyre checked/repaired for puncture?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th September 2022, 20:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrishnar View Post
Hi members,

I recently bought a used Grand i10 Sportz (O) AT from Spinny. The car is 5 years old (Sep 2017) but hasn’t been driven much (6500km) by the previous owner.

It has alloy wheels with stock Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx tyres (165/65/R14). I drove the car for around 1000km in the last 3 months in Mumbai and haven’t noticed any significant problem as such (may be because I am a newbie driver). Although fuel efficiency is only ~10km/l so far (I guess that’s fair as it is a torque converter?)

Would be really helpful if anyone can throw some light on my queries below.

1) Replacement timing: I insisted all tyres to be changed while buying but the Spinny guy maintained that the tyres have a life of at least 20k-30k km left in them. Now given the tyres are 5 years old but seem to be in good condition, should I consider replacing them now or 1-2 years later?
Check for weathering cracks on the sidewall and tread portion. Also, a rarely used car would have been left standing for months together and if not moved regularly, the tyre might have developed flat spots (small patches of 10-12 cm on the tread where the natural circular shape has flattened out) where the circular shape has in the region where it was in contact with the ground. Have somebody move the vehicle slightly and check different regions of all 4 tyres to make sure it isn’t the case. If both tests pass, use the tyres for another year max and then have them replaced.

Attaching a reference image so you get an idea -
Flat spot -
Name:  DAB73AF3CEB94BFE8050958F3E1F6145.jpeg
Views: 992
Size:  28.9 KB

Weathering crack -
Name:  59AAD257CE054819A0377A508511B704.jpeg
Views: 1018
Size:  92.0 KB

Quote:

2) Upgrade: Irrespective of the replacement timing, should I consider an upgrade (in size and brand) given my usage requirement is mostly for office commute in peak traffic hours in the city? If yes, please suggest the appropriate size and brand.
I would strongly urge you to upgrade to the 165/70R14 size as 165/65R14 has a short sidewall, which is prone to impact damage. The change will also noticeably improve your comfort.

Regarding the brand, if you frequently drive on bad roads where your tyres are prone to damage, it’s best to go for tyres with unconditional warranty - JK or Ceat.

Check out the below thread to understand difference between unconditional warranty and normal manufacturing warranty (which everyone offers)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-warranty.html (Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty)

If you don’t drive on bad roads you can go for Bridgestone B290 or Continental CC6 which are comfort focused tyres. If long life is your priority then go for Yoko Earth 1.

Quote:

3) Tyre repair: This is minor observation. One of the rear tyres slowly lost pressure to 24psi couple of weeks back, while other tyres were at 30-32psi. Got all 4 filled up to 33psi and the pressure seems to be maintained now. If it was a puncture, that tyre should have lost pressure by now right? Really couldn’t understand why the pressure loss happened in the first place and if I should get that tyre checked/repaired for puncture?

Thanks in advance!
It doesn’t hurt to get a puncture check done, but word of advice - go to an MRF T&S store to get it checked - they will do it for free - and if a puncture is found, ask for a mushroom repair. It costs 350 rupees at the MRF store and would be totally worth it as it is way better than the normal plug repair.

By all means don’t go for roadside shops as even if there isn’t a puncture, a few unscrupulous ones would “discover” one.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 16:21   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Check for weathering cracks on the sidewall and tread portion. Also, a rarely used car would have been left standing for months together and if not moved regularly, the tyre might have developed flat spots
Thanks for the detailed reply RubberGuru1113. It is very helpful.

The tyres don't have flat spots or weathering cracks. So, I plan to use them for some time before replacing.

On the puncture check, have to go to a Hyundai authorized SS in a week to get general servicing done (part of Spinny's warranty conditions). Was planning to get it checked there. Do these guys also try to 'discover' punctures and sell new tyres?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks