Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Best set of tyres? - In India.
Goodyear 72 9.13%
Pirelli 35 4.44%
Michelin 256 32.45%
Bridgestone 232 29.40%
Falkens 7 0.89%
BF Goodrich 12 1.52%
Mrf 35 4.44%
Ceat 3 0.38%
Yokohama 111 14.07%
Dunlop 5 0.63%
JK Tyre 5 0.63%
Apollo Tyres 16 2.03%
Voters: 789. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 14:56   #151
BHPian

Michelin Certis match your requirements. They are decent tyres with a good life and they come with warranty. They may tend to get hard over a period of time though.

Nitrous has mentioned the right sizes but I think sticking to 185 would be better.
Old 4th October 2006, 15:00   #152
BHPian

from my experience its got to be falken-the road noise has gone down by a huge margin.grip is terrific and ride has improved marginally too.mileage un-affected despite the increase in size.

michelins make a lot of road noise though the grip they offer is phenomenal!!
Old 4th October 2006, 15:18   #153
Team-BHP Support

do not go for certis. they are no longer available. they have been replaced with energy XM1. these are good tyres.
i feel bridgestone is good as here in bangalore i did not find a michelin shop. i jus found guys selling the michelin tyres but with variations in price.
i went and bought directly from a bridgestone shop turanza ER-60 and am very happy with the rates and service i received.
Old 5th October 2006, 10:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all for the responses... would someone be able give me a rough idea of the price and warranty for the tires mentioned here?

As per some previous comments that bridgestone users face stray incidents of tire bulging ... please let me know how reliable these tires are... and how easy it is to get them replaced in such scenarios...

my driving style is very sober as i mostly drive in the city and ocassionally i drive down to blore approx once a month and during the highway runs i floor my car down to 180kmph+ ... so i need good traction and ride quality....

i appreciate the responses here but i am going to wait a while longer for more to flow to make the right choice of tires.... so please keep them coming folks...

once again... thanks for the replies and keep 'em comin guys...
Old 5th October 2006, 13:10   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
As per some previous comments that bridgestone users face stray incidents of tire bulging ... please let me know how reliable these tires are... and how easy it is to get them replaced in such scenarios...
Bridgestone's are OK and don't have a common problem of bulges provided you don't go for a very low profile. More suitable would be Michelin Energy XM1's I switched to them primarily because previously I had Goodyear Eagle F1's on & I lost 3 of those tyres within 30k kms due to bulges. Same roads the Michelin's have been going great guns for over 30k kms.!

As for replacement it's not an easy process in the case of bulges since companies usually point out a cut on the inner side of the tyre & blame the user for hitting a rock/pothole too hard/fast. They basically invoke a clause in the warranty saying Damage to the tyre due to user negligence. You could argue but they generally not co-operative especially in tyres which have done mileages of over 20-25k.
Old 5th October 2006, 13:32   #156
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
my driving style is very sober as i mostly drive in the city and ocassionally i drive down to blore approx once a month and during the highway runs i floor my car down to 180kmph+ ... so i need good traction and ride quality....
And you need tyres with a speed rating of at least H (good for upto 210 kmph). That rules out the Bridgestone S322 which, I think, is either S (180 kmph) or T (190 kmph) depending on the size.
Old 5th October 2006, 16:54   #157
BHPian

Quote:
do not go for certis. they are no longer available. they have been replaced with energy XM1. these are good tyres.
I was not aware that they have stopped selling Certis in the market. I see so many cars on the road with them.

Quote:
As for replacement it's not an easy process in the case of bulges since companies usually point out a cut on the inner side of the tyre & blame the user for hitting a rock/pothole too hard/fast. They basically invoke a clause in the warranty saying Damage to the tyre due to user negligence. You could argue but they generally not co-operative especially in tyres which have done mileages of over 20-25k.
I stand by this as I have experienced it with Michelin. And they were right in my case, it was my fault.
Old 5th October 2006, 18:17   #158
Senior - BHPian

Have used Pirelli, Falken and Dunlop since i started driving. So far, feel Yoko's are the best of the above.

But next would definately fet Dunlop SP9000.
Old 5th October 2006, 18:21   #159
BHPian

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 on my lancer..Breaking is improved tremendously
Old 5th October 2006, 18:32   #160
BHPian

No bulging ever on the OEM Lancer Potenza setup, Clocked around 15,000 KM on the new Potenza G3 no Bulging Yet..! Only One Puncture till date..!
That Tyre bulging issue was one of a rare instance, Seen many Bridgstones on various machines no one ever said anything about a Bulge..!
Old 5th October 2006, 19:16   #161
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
Seen many Bridgstones on various machines no one ever said anything about a Bulge..!
Actually one of my stock Bridgestone S322 tubed tyres did develop a bulge last month, after almost 6 years and 34000 kms, and in an almost worn-out state (2-3 mm tread left). But in the last year and a half, I had subjected these stock tyres to tremendous abuse, including weekly Pune-Mumbai-Pune runs at very high speeds (130-160 kmph on the Expressway), hard cornering, horrendous roads with sharp stones and potholes, etc. I did hit potholes fairly hard on a couple of occasions and found my front left rim slightly bent while giving for service this August. This was corrected at the service and about 500 kms later, the front left tyre developed a bulge. I had a total of 3 punctures in 6 years of using these Bridgestones, one in Bangalore for the first 11000 kms/4.5 years, and two in Pune for the next 23000 kms in the last year and a half. There is also the possibility that the tyre got damaged while driving it flat for a short distance during one of these punctures, which completely destroyed the tube.

So I have a lot of reason to be satisfied with S322, which is why I have now opted for S322 tubeless, stock size on stock rims. So far, so good -- no air leakage and tremendously improved grip with no noise (as compared to the noisy tubed tyres). And my driving style has mellowed -- I am painstakingly careful not to hit potholes hard during my highway runs or in the city -- can't risk it with tubeless.

Overall, I am very happy so far -- hope this lasts. I feel that the tough S322 is needed for my terrain, with weekly highway runs and unbelievably bad roads in the monsoon season.
Old 6th October 2006, 13:33   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Naditya has 13" alloys that came with the 'limited edition' car.
I've suggested 185/65/R13 or 195/60/R13.
And most of all,he's got a sober budget.
Yoko ES100s dont come in 13" size.
So,wat do u guys suggest?
hi nitrous/naditya
i would suggest 175/70/r13. anything wider than that in 13" rims looks fat. or he could upgrade to 14" alloys and try 195/55/r14 pilot precidas, that is the best combination for looks & performance.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th October 2006 at 13:35.
Old 6th October 2006, 21:08   #163
Senior - BHPian

Bridgestones do seem to have this bulge problem.... I and another friend of mine, both of us in our Black Balenos... (He had Bridgestone S248 165/80R13 tube type tyres, I had 185/65R14Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tubeless) did a 350km trip one year ago. The temp must have been around 40 degs and we ripped the cars to 130-160kmph on lots of section with tight bends.
My friend developed couple of bulges on his tyre sidewall... ..so iraghava..you comment
Quote:
Bridgestone's are OK and don't have a common problem of bulges provided you don't go for a very low profile.
does not apply here since he had HI PROFILE (165./80) tyres..
I also disagree witbh your comment
Quote:
As for replacement it's not an easy process in the case of bulges since companies usually point out a cut on the inner side of the tyre & blame the user for hitting a rock/pothole too hard/fast.
since he had to pay only Rs400 ...(towards Prorated Wear) for replacing this tyre which had done close to 15k kms. So claiming warranty from bridgestones seems like an easy job...in fact they replaced two of his tyres..one for a sidewall cut and another for bulges.... at around Rs 400 each

I had one puncture in the last 22.5kms in my goodyears (touchwood) but no air loss...over 750kms and for the next two days....till I gave my car over to servicing and they also repaired the puncture...

I wholeheartedly recommend Goodyear EAGLE NCT5 tyres...they will cost about 15-20% cheaper then a Bridgestone and in my experience..are equally if not MORE reliable and certainly have a better and smoother ride. I would pick Goodyear out of my experience with Michelins, Goodyears and Bridgestones..however I must add that different models within a manufacturer's stable have different ride characterstics.. (I have used Bridgestone S248, S322, Michelin MXTE (tubeless) and Goodyear Eagle NCT5 (tubeless)) till now.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 6th October 2006 at 21:13.
Old 9th October 2006, 10:43   #164
BHPian

I have a set of Yokohomas ADVAN NEOVA 07, the grip in wet is simply awesome, althoug I am told they will not last very long, also the cornering traction is very good, they hold very very well. I am using 195 55 R 15 on my BALENO
Old 7th March 2007, 03:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

update...shifted to Michelin Energy XM1s today.(same size...185/65R14).. super silent compared to the Gyear NCT5 that I had and the ride seems smoother too..not sure if this is just the effect to comparing a 28k kms old tyre to a new one..will update more as I login kms

Last edited by Buffetfan : 7th March 2007 at 03:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks