Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2005, 17:03   #16
BHPian

and also is 5jx14 rims available??
Old 15th March 2005, 18:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

you get 5.5j 14" rims...not too sure if you will get 5j of the rack. but 5j is too small imo
Old 30th March 2005, 16:02   #18
BHPian

I have got my 14" imported now, but the tyres I expected have not come instead there are other tyres like BF goodrich, Silverstone, Continental.How good are they. Shall I go in for BF goodrich, they look good. There are tyrese from sumitomo,Yokohama & Toyo tires as well. rims are 6jx 14.
Old 31st March 2005, 14:28   #19
Team-BHP Support

After all the questions you ended up with 14x6 rims !??

Why 6" ??

Anyway, about the tires, arent there any other better known makes available?? I wouldnt really trust most of these names....

cya
R
Old 1st April 2005, 14:57   #20
BHPian

5, 5.5 was hard to get and moreover I found 6 also does the job pretty fine!
Old 8th September 2005, 20:48   #21
BHPian

Oh good... so I did get somebody to revisit this old thread ... now down to business:

I am upgrading the 4 tyres and rims on my 2001 16V MPFI Esteem LX (85 Bhp), I would love to go as low profile and wide as possible, but the folling factors limit this:

1. I dont want to modify any part of the suspension.
2. I drive thru some of the world's worst roads (Navi Mumbai).
3. Petrol prices are going waaaaay up !
4. Since I am keeping one stock rim with fitted with a newish 155/80R13 Brigstone B350 as the spare, I don't want the other tyres to be too diffrent.

I do a lot of high speed driving on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and I want high performance tyres, not to mention "I want them to look good" !

I have zeroed in on the following:
Rims: Neo / Aura
Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza GIII

Need to decide on the size:
Conservative - 175/70R13 (OEM Spec for Esteem VX)
or
Desirable - 185/60R14 5.5J (I think XtremeG ran these on his Esteem without any mods)

I want to go for the 185/60R14 size, but, I am worried cuz in the last 2 months, New Mumbai potholes ruined 3 of my OEM steel rims running with 155/80R13 tyres! I am sure that 14 inchers will look better and perform better, but I dont wanna ruin them on the first pothole the car hits!

What do you guys think? Anbody (XtremeG?) with experience running 14" rims on an Esteem?

- T u r b o C -
Old 8th September 2005, 21:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
I have got my 14" imported now, but the tyres I expected have not come instead there are other tyres like BF goodrich, Silverstone, Continental.How good are they. Shall I go in for BF goodrich, they look good. There are tyrese from sumitomo,Yokohama & Toyo tires as well. rims are 6jx 14.
I had BF Goodrich in my car in US. They costed me around 80$ per tire and were wonderful to drive on. Excellent grip, without compromising the ride. So imo go for BF Goodrich!
Old 8th September 2005, 21:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
Oh good... so I did get somebody to revisit this old thread ... now down to business:

I am upgrading the 4 tyres and rims on my 2001 16V MPFI Esteem LX (85 Bhp), I would love to go as low profile and wide as possible, but the folling factors limit this:

1. I dont want to modify any part of the suspension.
2. I drive thru some of the world's worst roads (Navi Mumbai).
3. Petrol prices are going waaaaay up !
4. Since I am keeping one stock rim with fitted with a newish 155/80R13 Brigstone B350 as the spare, I don't want the other tyres to be too diffrent.

I do a lot of high speed driving on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and I want high performance tyres, not to mention "I want them to look good" !

or
Desirable - 185/60R14 5.5J (I think XtremeG ran these on his Esteem without any mods)

I want to go for the 185/60R14 size, but, I am worried cuz in the last 2 months, New Mumbai potholes ruined 3 of my OEM steel rims running with 155/80R13 tyres! I am sure that 14 inchers will look better and perform better, but I dont wanna ruin them on the first pothole the car hits!

What do you guys think? Anbody (XtremeG?) with experience running 14" rims on an Esteem?

- T u r b o C -
hey bro
i too have a esteem where do you stay in navimumbai. i live in cbd belapur. i suggest u go for 185/65/r 13 bridgestone g3s and 14 inches would become low profile and that will affect your ride quality too much. The 175/75/r 13 bridgestone b350 is also a good tyre i had them in my car first now upgraded to goodyear nct3s 185/65/r 13
and if u need to find the dealer tell me

Last edited by kooldude : 8th September 2005 at 21:21.
Old 8th September 2005, 21:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

or

- T u r b o C -
The tyre you have shortlisted the Potenza GIII is an excellent tyre. However its not that GREAT looking. Its quite average on looks. The Goodyears F1 GSD II and GSD III have much better looks than GIII. So if you are going for Potenza GIII, dont go for it caz of the looks. I have 185/70/14 in my Swift, its a Potenza GIII. I can tell you these tyres are awesome.
If I was you, I would go for 185/60/14 with my eyes closed. The ride would be compromised, but it will look awesome!
Old 8th September 2005, 22:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hey bro
i too have a esteem where do you stay in navimumbai.
i live in cbd belapur.
Dude, I am currently based in Pune, but I drive down to my parent's place in Thane quite often, mostly Friday evenings or Saturday mornings and go back on Monday morning... I have to pass thru the Navi Mumbai roads to get there... or as I have done the last time, shell out 40 bucks in tolls + 15Km extra to "flyover" the potholes via the Eastern Express Highway.

Quote:
i suggest u go for 185/65/r 13 bridgestone g3s and 14 inches would become low profile and that will affect your ride quality too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
If I was you, I would go for 185/60/14 with my eyes closed. The ride would be compromised, but it will look awesome!
I dont mind compromising a bit on ride quality and NVH levels if I get better performance and looks in the bargain... (I'm sure my passengers would disagree, but then I can always drown out the protests with a LOUD muffler, LOL !) But... I am seriously worried about bending / breaking the new rims... I assume that with a low pro setup, there is less distance between the outer circumfrence of tyre and the rim, making it more prone to damage by big stones and / or potholes. The question is "how much more prone to damage?"

It would be ideal if I got to drive an Esteem with the 185/60R14 setup before I plonk down my money though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
The tyre you have shortlisted the Potenza GIII is an excellent tyre. However its not that GREAT looking. Its quite average on looks. The Goodyears F1 GSD II and GSD III have much better looks than GIII. So if you are going for Potenza GIII, dont go for it caz of the looks.
I'm for "Performance over Prettyness" all the way man! Looking good is important, but performance is the decider for me. I zeroed in on the G3s because of the rave reviews the tyre gets here at T-BHP and because I am getting a decent deal on them.

Quote:
if u need to find the dealer tell me
Sure dude, I am sure thal all of us here on T-BHP are open to bargains!

My best quote so far is a combo of 4 Aura rims + 4 Potenza G3s for (175/70R13) Rs.20k from a MASS in Pune... I plan to get the suspension serviced (may need some work on the steering rack) from the same place so convenience is included too.

- T u r b o C -
Old 9th September 2005, 00:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can someone please help me as the same car in teh States runs on 17" rims. I am not that sure how these will do on our roads, and figured on fitting a 14" size. Is that good enough?
the correct upsize will be 185/60 R 14. there is a slight chance that 185/65 R 14 (regular upsize for Baleno BTW) may touch the wheel well under extreme turning or load...test it out though and if it fits...the 65 profile may give you a better ride with not too much speedo error. the speedo error will be around 0.2 % with 185/60 R 14 and 3% with 185/65 R 14.

dont go beyound 14 inchers..ride quality will go to dogs....
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2005, 02:54   #27
BHPian

Saw an Esteem fitted with 175/70R13 and another fitted with some even rigger size today and it looked like the wheel wells were pretty much filled up. May just about be able to squeeze in 185/65 R13 wheels but I am not sure anything bigger will fit.

Personally, I feel the anything much wider than the 175/70 R13 size looks strange when viewed from the front of the car because the Esteem has a very slender front end.

I also spoke to a number of large wheel & tyre shops here in Pune today and they advised me to not go in for anything wider than 175 because it would made my non PS Esteem hard to steer.Would love to go for 14" imported alloys but I may be forced to go in for Indian 13" rims because of the pathetic roads I drive through.

So, I have narrowed my choices down to:
175/70R13
175/65R14

Are Bridgestone Potenza G3s available in these sizes?

- T u r b o C -
Old 15th September 2005, 17:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Saw an Esteem fitted with 175/70R13 and another fitted with some even rigger size today and it looked like the wheel wells were pretty much filled up. May just about be able to squeeze in 185/65 R13 wheels but I am not sure anything bigger will fit.

Personally, I feel the anything much wider than the 175/70 R13 size looks strange when viewed from the front of the car because the Esteem has a very slender front end.

I also spoke to a number of large wheel & tyre shops here in Pune today and they advised me to not go in for anything wider than 175 because it would made my non PS Esteem hard to steer.Would love to go for 14" imported alloys but I may be forced to go in for Indian 13" rims because of the pathetic roads I drive through.

So, I have narrowed my choices down to:
175/70R13
175/65R14

Are Bridgestone Potenza G3s available in these sizes?

- T u r b o C -
No i dont think so they are available in these sizes because i have heard that till 175 the tires are tubetype and after that they are tubeless a tyre dealer told me this thing guys is this true
Old 16th September 2005, 02:20   #29
BHPian

I spoke to a Bridgestone distributor and he confirmed that the Potenza GIII is not available in the 175/70R13 size. He advised me to go for 185/70R13 since this was within 2% (is actually 1.9% bigger) of the the overall circumfrence of the LX's 155/80R13 tyres.

That's what I have bought now (but not paid for yet!)... I'm getting my Esteem's suspension checked up (excess steering rack play) at a MASS in Pune and I have got a decent deal for 4xAura rims + 4xPotenza GIIIs (185/70R13) from the same guys. I am keeping one of the steel rims with a B350 (155/80R13) as the spare for now, but I may consider picking up a wider (second hand?) B350 after I test for stability problems. Took the car on a test run and found no touching or rubbing problems from 3 wheels, but the front right tyre makes faint contact with something in the wheel well on a full lock left turn. It was too dark to tell by then, but the MASS guys are looking into it and suspect a loose mudguard lining / dented fender lip and expect to have the problem sorted out by Friday evening.

Car looks awesome with these wheels and tyres fitted... will post pics soon... would have been even better with 14" rims and low-pro tyres, but (sigh)... those darn potholes!

Quote:
No i dont think so they are available in these sizes because i have heard that till 175 the tires are tubetype and after that they are tubeless a tyre dealer told me this thing guys is this true
I think that all sizes of the Potenza GIII are tubeless. MRF has a tubeless tyre for the Esteem (I think it is ZVTm?) but that's the 155/80R13 size, and a couple of MRF dealers told me that no MRF tubeless tyre is available in the 175/70R13 size (dont know why!). It looks like the OEM Esteem VX size (175/70R13) is a little non standard and very few tyre cos. manufacture it.

- T u r b o C -
Old 16th September 2005, 02:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new tyres...

175/70 R 13 used to be such a common size....Earlier Fiat Sienna, Ikon, Accent all used to be on this size..surprising as to why tubeless are not available in this size

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks