Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2021, 09:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread

New Thar owners - I’m getting the delivery of my petrol manual this week and I’m planning to upgrade the tyres as I have had bad experience with the wanderers on my endeavour.

Please suggest the best upgrade for the stock wheels. Can I go with 285/60 or should I stick to 265/60?
Old 14th September 2021, 10:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Has anyone got this shoe on to Thar CRDE (2017)?

Continental Conti Cross Contract 235/70 R16 106S Tubeless Car Tyre/OWL

Attachment 2204737

Please share your inputs/feedbacks if so, any.
Not the Thar but on a 2007 Grand Vitara AT. Extremly good tyres for All Terrain use. Except for very deep mud they perform flawlessly. And I have found them good for highway use, alibet a bit noisy.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Not the Thar but on a 2007 Grand Vitara AT. Extremly good tyres for All Terrain use. Except for very deep mud they perform flawlessly. And I have found them good for highway use, alibet a bit noisy.
Good to hear that. Quick another question please. Guess it has OWL, the white letters on the side wall. How does that fare so far?
Old 14th September 2021, 13:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Good to hear that. Quick another question please. Guess it has OWL, the white letters on the side wall. How does that fare so far?
My tyres weren't the OWL, even though they are the same size. My tyres are always mucked up, so it does not really matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-gv-dirty.jpg  

sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:43   #35
BHPian

Need help.

Reached out to a local Yokohama dealer in Gurgaon for Thar tyre upgrade. As per the dealer, below sizes are one and the same for Yokohama:

Yokohama 265/70-15
Yokohama 31x10.5-15

Can someone confirm if this is true?
Old 27th April 2022, 14:47   #36
BHPian

Guys, for my 2015 CRDE, I am looking for a tire change. The tires are just old (Michelin LTX 2). Also, they squeak a bit too much for my liking on tight turns.

The jeep runs on stock alloys (Mahindra Stock alloys) and tires are 235 70 R16. Can I go with higher profile tires ? Which ones are recommended? I was thinking of Continental CrossContact AT .
Old 13th May 2022, 15:48   #37
BHPian

Hi Johy

Mine is also a 2015 CRDe. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler 245 70 R16 AT and 7 years old and hard. There is no issue as such, but i think, changing it would become more comfortable and safe to drive. I enquired with a known shop in Chennai and they three options in this same size

MRF - 7000 per tire
Goodyear Wrangler AT - 8300 per tire
Yokohama Geolander - 10000 + per tire

I am thinking of again going for the same Goodyear as it has served well.

FYI, mine is an HRS alloy with an offset, so this size suits. You should check yours if it is a stock rim.

If it helps.

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 13th May 2022 at 15:50. Reason: added more content
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 18:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, for my 2015 CRDE, I am looking for a tire change. The tires are just old (Michelin LTX 2). Also, they squeak a bit too much for my liking on tight turns.

The jeep runs on stock alloys (Mahindra Stock alloys) and tires are 235 70 R16. Can I go with higher profile tires ? Which ones are recommended? I was thinking of Continental CrossContact AT .
I have done 40,000Kms on CCC AT's on my CRDe including a trip to Ladhak. They have served me well without even a single puncture. These are off road biased AT's with tough sidewalls. The ride becomes pleasantly soft if air pressure is maintained at 30. Wet grip is a hit or miss especially when the tires are new. Consider these as an alternative to Yoko Geo's. Unfortunately these are not available in 245 and the next size is 255. Bought them back in 2016 for Rs.8000. Madhus has them for Rs8800 now.

I have to change my tires as well. I still have 5000kms worth of tread left however the tires have become hard due to low running post covid. I will be getting Yoko Geo's soon.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:26   #39

Bought Yokohama Geolander AT G015 235/70 R16 from Madhus in Mysore after running on Continental Cross Contact AT 235/70 R16 for 6yrs and 40000kms. The Jeep ran only 5000kms after covid and the tyres had become hard. I had planned a 2000kms road trip and I did not want to risk doing high speed highway runs on a hard tyre. Let me compare the two tyres.

Pros of CCC:
- Softer ride compared to OE Bridgestone Duelers
- Excellent off road grip especially in slush
- Did a 9000km trip to Ladhak without even a single puncture

Cons of CCC:
- Average wet grip on road. This improved after 5000kms
- Braking deteriorated by a good margin. Took longer to stop and the front wheels tend to lock up on panic braking
- Noisy compared to Bridgestone and Yokos
- Tyres got hard after 5yrs and 35000kms
- The tread design is a stone magnet

Pros of Yoko:
- Excellent dry/wet road grip and also braking
- SUVish feels

Cons of Yoko:
- Not as soft as CCC
- No other issues. Too soon to comment on anything else I guess

Other options considered:
- CEAT Czar AT 245/75 R16 - No stock
- Maxxis Bravo AT 771 245/75 R16 - No stock
- Yoko Geo AT G015 245/75 R16 - No stock
- JK Ranger AT - 245/75 R16 - No reviews

Apparently tyre dealers aren't stocking 245s due to poor sales. The price difference between 235 and 245 is too wide.

Importers are stocking up ATs in 17" and 18" thanks to new Thar 2020, Fortuner, Hilux and V cross!

Some pictures

Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-pic1.jpg
Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-pic2.jpg
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 03:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks

I want to use my Thar CRDe primarily for offroading.
Can I install 33 inch MT tyres on it ?
What modification does it need ?
Any downsides of the proposed set up?

Thank you

Last edited by ecosport rules : 2nd October 2022 at 03:48.
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hello Folks

I want to use my Thar CRDe primarily for offroading.
Can I install 33 inch MT tyres on it ?
What modification does it need ?
Any downsides of the proposed set up?

Thank you
Stock tyres on Thar are of 31 inch diameter (255/65R18), going for 33 is a 6% change in diameter and not recommended, especially when you’re off-roading and need high clearance between your wheel wells and tyres.

Go for 31x10.5 R15, it’s a very popular size for M/T tyres and JK has a good M/T product in this size (Ranger M/T). (Note - for the benefit of those who didn’t know - in this nomenclature, 31 = diameter in inches, 10.5 = section width in inches (equal to ~265), R15 = rim diameter in inches).

The only modification you require for this is 15 inch rims, perhaps with a slightly reduced offset compared to the stock rims.

Obvious downside is high noise and low fuel efficiency on M/T tyres if you use them on the highway. Perhaps if you have the space and a jack, you can retain the original rims and tyres in your garage to swap out as required for your usage.

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 2nd October 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Added info
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:21   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

These tyres look like a very nice upgrade for the new Thar.
Considering my usage patterns of 85-90% road and highway touring and only maybe 10-15% usage on friend’s estates and jungle trails and grasslands and all, I am quite happy with my OEM Ceat Czars.
However, whenever I do decide to change, I would very probably consider these Maxxis 980 AT in 285/60/18 provided they are available at the time.
These Maxxis are at this moment, nearly 10000 or 11000 Rupees cheaper on a per tyre basis, than the equivalent BF Goodrich KO2 tyres.
Here is my Thar on its stock tyres.
And another Thar with the Maxxis mounted.
Clearly the Maxxis fill the wheel arches better and enhance the aggressive ‘Jeepy’ looks of the Thar.
I am given to understand by several of those who have indeed changed to these, that there is no compromise on articulation, no fender rubbing issues and apparently the overall grip and handling is improved. So this seems a good idea.
Im sure that in my case the difference will be even more marked in a positive manner because of the suspension upgrade that Ive already done.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-71377492e7da4c12b8cc6ebf5091c195.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-3f3a9962f452466abd94850fb3aac9e8.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd October 2022 at 09:24.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 02:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Stock tyres on Thar are of 31 inch diameter (255/65R18), going for 33 is a 6% change in diameter and not recommended, especially when you’re off-roading and need high clearance between your wheel wells and tyres.

Go for 31x10.5 R15, it’s a very popular size for M/T tyres and JK has a good M/T product in this size (Ranger M/T). (Note - for the benefit of those who didn’t know - in this nomenclature, 31 = diameter in inches, 10.5 = section width in inches (equal to ~265), R15 = rim diameter in inches).

The only modification you require for this is 15 inch rims, perhaps with a slightly reduced offset compared to the stock rims.

Obvious downside is high noise and low fuel efficiency on M/T tyres if you use them on the highway. Perhaps if you have the space and a jack, you can retain the original rims and tyres in your garage to swap out as required for your usage.
Thank you
I am currently on 15 inch negative offset bead lock steel wheels shod with 31×10.5 Maxxiss AT
I want more than my current set up

Mud terrain for sure and larger tyres for more ground clearance, I am open to options for lifting the suspension and putting in 33 inch tyres on my 15 inch wheels.

Please suggest what are my best options for the lift kit
What about spacers between body and chassis sold by Swastik fabs ?
Old 29th October 2022, 00:02   #44

Hi Bhpians, I'm new to Team-bhp, this is the first time I'm posting in the forum and really excited about it. Coming to the topic, recently I bought a used Mahindra Thar 2016 CRDe model, it came along with offroad goodies like 2 inch lift, 32 inch tyres, fog lamps etc. However, the Kerala govt is very strict in case of modifications and the rules are pretty strong.
In the current setup, the tyres are 32/11.50R15 Nankang MT and the rims are 15inch 10J offroad steel wheels. The tyres are sticking out about 3 inches in the front and 2inches from the rear fender flares. This setting is kind of difficult in some situations especially when the roads are narrow. I do wish to retain the current tyres, which are about 295 mm width. So is there any possibility to keep the current tyres from sticking out of the fender flares by using alloy wheels or zero/positive offset rims? Please share your suggestions and the right directions to move forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - The Tyre & Wheel upgrade thread-thar_teambhp.png  

coderSree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 17:27   #45

Codersree why dont you try mounting them on 8j or 7j wheels. It will most likely reduce the overall width. Let me know if you resolved your issue

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks