Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 09:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
So were these tyres replaced under warranty? What pressure do you maintain? Do you have a TPMS? I was told that maintaining pressure above 34 psi helps.
Tire warranties are basically on paper. It was a full cost replacement from the nearby MRF authorized store.

I initially used the keep the car at 33psi but that resulted in rather jarring low speed ride on potholes and I had 3 instances of cracked alloys on 3 different wheels. On the tire guy's advice, I lowered the pressures to 30psi. Now I keep it at 28. No more alloy issues and better low speed comfort, at a slight expense of FE.

Sidewall bulges go together with low profile tires. You really can't avoid it. If you can, go for 255/55R19 tires now, which will give you a higher profile. 3-4 options are available in the 20-21k price range. This will alleviate the issue to some extent. Otherwise, the only long term solution is shifting from R19 to R17 or R16. It's a one time expense, but you will get many more options to choose from at a far lower price point, enhanced durability and low speed ride comfort with a complete resolution of the sidewall issues.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th December 2018 at 09:48.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 10:23   #17
BHPian

Any reviews of the Goodyear Wrangler HP/AW or AT/SA tyres?
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 15:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Request for some advice on AT tyres.

I am planning to buy Hexa 4x4 XT soon. The usage is primarily going to be in city/ on long distance drives to the hills. I won't be doing hard core off road stuff. However, would encounter lots of slushy/ muddy/ gravel trails (including steep upslopes with turns) in those drive to the hills.

So the usage is primarily going to be around 80-90% on road, and balance in bad roads as mentioned above. I am looking for some good AT tyres in the 235/70 R 16 size (trying to change the stock 19" tyres of Hexa to 16" ones).

What are the best AT tyres for a fair balance between ride comfort, durability, FE and offroad performance? The ones in my mind are Michelin LTX Force, Yokohome Geolander ATs, Continental Cross ATs and Pirelli ATs.

Also, I have tried to search for AT tyres in the stock 235/55/R 19 size. However, couldn't find any. Any suggestions in this tyre size?
If you want to retain the 19" you dont have much choice. You can go to 17 and that will really open up the market for you. The only ATs that I have heard of are from Michellin, Pirelli and Continental. However, I have not see these as not even one tyre place around me stocks these. So that that as it is.

If you do decide to get rid of your 19" then many other Hexa owners will line up to buy them from you. So that is not an issue. But then, the 19" are the only ones that make the Hexa look as good as it does, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Here's a newbie question for anyone with experience.

Is the Hexa XTA, which is a rear wheel drive able to climb steep hill roads with lot of boulders (some algae covered slippery) and gravel and the occasional wet patch with relative comfort and ease?

For reference, and for those who have visited Binsar (Almora), I'm talking about the steep road that takes you up to the Binsar Forest Retreat. When I visited, the only vehicles that were climbing the steep road to take tourists to the lodge were the Retreat's own AWD vehicles, which I think were either Thars or Gypsys.

Look forward to your guidance.
No issues at all climbing steep and rocky inclines. Although I wouldn't be as confident in the rains. But the XTA pulls forward without any hesitance. I have done rocky climbs, wet mud, sand and a shallow river run as well.

Last edited by mostlynerd : 25th January 2019 at 15:49. Reason: Combining posts
mostlynerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 18:54   #19
BHPian

Update on the tyre swap.

I have changed the stock 19" tyres and alloys.

Have got Plati 16" alloys and Michelin LTX Force as replacements.

Will post pics soon.
nvldvr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 20:52   #20
BHPian

How much did the alloys and tyres cost you? I am looking for the same replacement on my Safari.!
Old 8th February 2019, 07:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
How much did the alloys and tyres cost you? I am looking for the same replacement on my Safari.!
The tyres were 8.5 K each, and the alloys 7.5 K each.
nvldvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 12:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yeah, good performance, but surprised to hear of the sidewall damage. 4 years up on my Jeep and no issues. No sidewall cracking either.
Geolanders have one of the worst sidewalls in AT tyres, i have personally seen more than 6-7 tyres getting wasted because of this issue.
Pirelli Scorpion is good choice considering Continental's side wall issue.
All above from personal experience.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 18:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
On the tire guy's advice, I lowered the pressures to 30psi. Now I keep it at 28. No more alloy issues and better low speed comfort, at a slight expense of FE.

I believe that you are still on stock 19' MRF, pls check about the correct tyre pressure, a low tyre pressure may lead to tyre burst due to excessive flexing of the side wall. 28 psi maybe too low.

I believe the recommended pressure is now updated to 35 for front and around 37 aft.
Relax&Cruise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 07:29   #24
BHPian

Plati 16" Alloys and Michelin LTX Force 235/70/16 tyres for Hexa XT 4X4

A few pics of the Michelin LTX Force 235/70/16 tyres and Plati 16" Alloys on my Hexa.

Loving the ride quality with the 16" tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa-hexa-5-4-12.jpg  

All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa-hexa-5-2-12.jpg  

All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa-hexa-5-3-12.jpg  

All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa-hexa-5-6-12.jpg  

All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa-hexa-5-8-12.jpg  

nvldvr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 11:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Pirelli Scorpion is good choice considering Continental's side wall issue.
All above from personal experience.

Does Continenal Cross Contact tyres also have similar side wall issues like geolanders? I was planning to go for continental cross contact A/T tyres for my Safari.

thanks.
Old 12th February 2019, 13:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Does Continenal Cross Contact tyres also have similar side wall issues like geolanders?

thanks.
I am using them in my Safari 4x4 and one tyre had 4 sidewall punctures (in 4 years). They are definitely stronger than Geolanders as i used them in my bolero 4x4 and Safari 4x4 for offroading many times.
Same issue was observed in one of my friend's scorpio but another friend is using it without issue.
so, its all mixed reaction.
If you have budget, go for Michelin LTX AT, they dont have such issues and provide excellent grip (i used them as well few years back)

Regards
Old 17th August 2019, 05:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Here's a newbie question for anyone with experience.

Is the Hexa XTA, which is a rear wheel drive able to climb steep hill roads with lot of boulders (some algae covered slippery) and gravel and the occasional wet patch with relative comfort and ease?

For reference, and for those who have visited Binsar (Almora), I'm talking about the steep road that takes you up to the Binsar Forest Retreat. When I visited, the only vehicles that were climbing the steep road to take tourists to the lodge were the Retreat's own AWD vehicles, which I think were either Thars or Gypsys.

Look forward to your guidance.
Had been to Binsar in my Tata Hexa 4x4 XT in May 2018 - in fact I went up to Munsiyari and then from there to Mudkot. No issues at all in 4x2 mode EVER. Did not have to evoke 4x4 at any time. Mind you, when I went there, Munsiyari-Mudkot was a broken road and even buses were struggling. I had absolutely NO ISSUES! Same with my recent Delhi-Palampur-Chamba-Khajiyar-Dulhousie trip. No issues with my Hexa at all - very rarely I had to evoke 4x4 mode. It's an absolute joy to ride this car - enjoy your trip.
Old 15th September 2021, 18:29   #28
BHPian

Bumping the old thread.

What all option do we have now for Hexa? Specifically in 235/55/R19 size.
Old 15th September 2021, 19:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Bumping the old thread.

What all option do we have now for Hexa? Specifically in 235/55/R19 size.
I recently switched to Triangle tires, stock size. 10k apiece. Initial impressions are much better than the stock MRFs. These are much quieter and the car rides a bit better. They performed very well on my recent trip to Kashmir.

Otherwise, options remain fairly limited in this size, unless you are willing to spend six figures for a set of four.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 19:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I recently switched to Triangle tires, stock size. 10k apiece. Initial impressions are much better than the stock MRFs. These are much quieter and the car rides a bit better. They performed very well on my recent trip to Kashmir.

Otherwise, options remain fairly limited in this size, unless you are willing to spend six figures for a set of four.
I am in fact also contemplating to sell off stock 19inch alloys (set of 5) and switch to 17 or 18" (4 alloys and 1 steel rim). Will definitely have better choice of tyres that way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks