Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 12:17   #1
BHPian

Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

First googled for "Seltos tyre and wheel upgrade Team Bhp" and didn't find any threads so creating one.

My Seltos rides on Goodyear assurance 215/60 r17, its noisy and been a puncture magnet.

Have driven around 23,500 km and I believe that 50% life is still left in the tyres.

Thinking of a midlife upgrade.

What are my options? Considering Conti cross contact lx2, Michelin primacy 4st or any wildcard Yokos?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 17:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

The thread on its sibling has lots of advice - Hyundai Creta thread (Hyundai Creta: Tyre & wheel upgrade thread).

If I was a Seltos owner, I would pick something comfort-oriented from my favourite tyre brands (Michelin, Yokohama). Don't go for a sporty 17" tyre because the Seltos suspension is anyway stiff.

In fact, I would strongly consider a swap to 16s at the time of changing tyres. I'd easily get a buyer for my OEM rims, pick a sweet looking aftermarket alloy design and get 16s. The Seltos on 16s rides noticeably better than on 17s.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The thread on its sibling has lots of advice - Hyundai Creta thread (Hyundai Creta: Tyre & wheel upgrade thread).

If I was a Seltos owner, I would pick something comfort-oriented from my favourite tyre brands (Michelin, Yokohama). Don't go for a sporty 17" tyre because the Seltos suspension is anyway stiff.

In fact, I would strongly consider a swap to 16s at the time of changing tyres. I'd easily get a buyer for my OEM rims, pick a sweet looking aftermarket alloy design and get 16s. The Seltos on 16s rides noticeably better than on 17s.
Ah, that is interesting, was not thinking of downsizing into 16'' Rims.

Will also head over to the Creta thread. In hindsight yes I guess it makes sense as the cars are overall the same and tyres on a Creta would fit the Seltos just the same.
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:05   #4
anb
BHPian

215/60 17 , Michelin Primary 4st is the best tyre followed by Continental. Yoko’s are not as good as Michelin/ Continental.
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had upgraded my Seltos OE tyres to Michelin Primacy 4 235/55/R17 on day one itself. It's the foremost upgrade a Seltos owner should do to enjoy this car's brilliant driving dynamics(in cross over terms). There's sea difference in ride quality which I made out when I later drove a friend's Seltos that was shod with OE Good Year Assurance. Needless to mention the immense grip in all weather conditions and silent operation even on concrete roads. So far i've done 25k kms and it's been a bliss all through. I've always been on Michelins and a big fan of them and hence my team bhp handle by the name of it's mascot , they're clearly a cut above the rest. One could find many testimonials in this forum itself.

After the tyre import issues cropped up, I managed to source a fifth tyre too just for the peace of mind, thanks to Madhus tyres in Bangalore.

It's also the perfect upgrade spec wise. This upsize also enhances the car's stance by a great deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20210922140100_whatsapp.jpg  

Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20210922_142200.jpg  

Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20210922_142710.jpg  

Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20210922_143025.jpg  

Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20210922_142915.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 22nd September 2021 at 14:31.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:33   #6
BHPian

Hey Bibendum

Thanks for your inputs - surprised I didnt remember this from your review as I follow it for all updates.

So the upsize doesn't make the handling worse? GTO has suggested a 16 profile tyre for better handling, what are your thoughts on those?

And any opinion on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde?

Though am more or less confirmed on the P4ST, just wanting to check options.

Current price my known dealer is quoting is 12k though, I know some friends in Blr who got it for 10.9k so that is a straight saving of Rs 4,400.
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey Bibendum

Thanks for your inputs - surprised I didnt remember this from your review as I follow it for all updates.

So the upsize doesn't make the handling worse? GTO has suggested a 16 profile tyre for better handling, what are your thoughts on those?

Current price my known dealer is quoting is 12k though, I know some friends in Blr who got it for 10.9k so that is a straight saving of Rs 4,400.
The upsize has made the handling gone a notch above. If you really can't live with the ride of 17 inchers, only then you think on the lines of downgrading to 16". GTO suggested 16" for more comfy ride, not for better handling. In my experience a good tyre and the right psi addresses the stiff ride of Seltos to a great extent. But then if one is coming to Seltos from sedans like Ciaz, City etc will find the ride harsh. I maintain 32 all around for city and 33 in front and 34 at rear for highway drives with full load. This has worked perfectly for me.

After I spend considerable time behind the wheels of my Gypsy and then switch over to Seltos I feel it has an air suspension set up . And please note my Gypsy has an upgraded suspension, even then that's my feeling. The point is the term ride quality is quite relative.

Regarding the price, at the peak of supply issues with tyre import restrictions I had to cough up ₹16300(inclusive of Michelin warranty at ~800₹) for Primacy 4 when I bought the fifth tyre, size is 235/55/R17. This was at least 3 - 3.5 K more than what I had paid in Dec'19.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd September 2021 at 12:03.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
H

An option to look at from a rough road friendly design is Continental Cross Contact LX2. Bought a set for my friend`s duster a year ago, it is a good all rounder as is the case with Seltos too.
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

Regarding the price, at the peak of supply issues with tyre import restrictions I had to cough up ₹16300(inclusive of Michelin warranty at ~800₹) for Primacy 4 when I bought the fifth tyre, size is 235/55/R17. This was at least 3 - 3.5 K more than what I had paid in Dec'19.
Thanks Bibendum - and my bad, I meant ride quality and I am like you too, in city conditions I drive at 33 Cold tyre pressure and I find that the ride quality is definitely decent - highways I take it to the recommended 36 though (no taking any chances on highway drives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
An option to look at from a rough road friendly design is Continental Cross Contact LX2. Bought a set for my friend`s duster a year ago, it is a good all rounder as is the case with Seltos too.
Yeah, I was looking up tyremarket.com and the LX2 Conti is Rs 8,700 and my known dealer is quoting Rs 8,500.

MP4ST - Rs 48,400 for 4 tyres + 800 I think for warranty = Rs 49,200
LX 2 - Rs 34,000 all in for 4 tyres..

Wondering if the 30% difference in pricing is worth the extra comfort and low noise (my priority is low noise on highways) I might get from the MP4ST.

I could get 5 tyres of the Conti and still save a cool 6k.

Now the money is not the concern as in the budget is okay, but the question in my mind is do the MP4ST's really offer that much of a huge jump in performance that the costs justify it?

The second question is, compared to the baseline of my current shoes, the Goodyear Assurance, if the conti improves on road noise and comfort, am a happy camper.

Quick question, is the Conti LX2 also a soft compound tyre? Or is it harder compounds like the Good years and JK's?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Wondering if the 30% difference in pricing is worth the extra comfort and low noise (my priority is low noise on highways) I might get from the MP4ST.

I could get 5 tyres of the Conti and still save a cool 6k.

Now the money is not the concern as in the budget is okay, but the question in my mind is do the MP4ST's really offer that much of a huge jump in performance that the costs justify it?

The second question is, compared to the baseline of my current shoes, the Goodyear Assurance, if the conti improves on road noise and comfort, am a happy camper.

Quick question, is the Conti LX2 also a soft compound tyre? Or is it harder compounds like the Good years and JK's?
We have used it on rough terrain, inclines, ghats, maintains traction just as well as Bridgestone Dueler D684 yet provides a more comfortable and quiet ride. I do not expect it to last beyond 70K but the quietness and comfort on offer is good value. It was at least 500 INR cheaper than bridgestone per tyre when we bought it. I would avoid using tyres with continuous ribs on the thread surface if the suspension is already on the sharper side, just to avoid the extra bounce & 'boom' in the cabin on rough surfaces.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 23rd September 2021 at 12:39.
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MP4ST - Rs 48,400 for 4 tyres + 800 I think for warranty = Rs 49,200
LX 2 - Rs 34,000 all in for 4 tyres..
I would strongly suggest you to go for 5 tyres itself especially with the uncertainty around tyre import restrictions. If you're with 4 tyres and for your bad, face a side wall or any other damage in one of the tyres, the same brand and pattern may not be immediately available in the market. The reason why I sourced a fifth tyre recently.

If road noise is your primary concern, then it's a no brainer to go for Michelin. Missed to update on your query on Pirelli. I've no first hand experience with Pirellis but what i've heard is they have little hard compound compared to Michelin, Conti and Yoko.

Quote:
Trust me, it's worth every single penny you shell out extra for Michelin. The life of them are significantly more too as against other tyres.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd September 2021 at 14:09.
Old 14th October 2021, 17:49   #12
BHPian

Hi Stribog,
I changed to GT alloys just after the purchase(Mine is HTK+, with 16' alloys). I couldn't source Michelin tyres(P4ST) so settled for Yokohamas(A50) in stock size(215/60/R17). My brother has HTX model shod on Goodyears, and the ride quality difference between mine and his cars is almost like day and night. Any decent brand will be beter than goodyears.
My observation after my upgrade on terms of rode quality:
17 Yokos>= 16 Goodyear > 17 Goodyear.
ynike99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:32   #13
BHPian

I'm about to take delivery of a GTX+ that comes with 17" rims and JK UX Royale tyres. Assuming I stick to 17", would Yokohama Earth-1 215/60/R17 be a reasonable switch if comfortable city ride and low road noise are the main objectives, in that order? Longevity (not to be confused with reliability) is not a major concern for me.
Old 28th October 2021, 17:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malim View Post
I'm about to take delivery of a GTX+ that comes with 17" rims and JK UX Royale tyres. Assuming I stick to 17", would Yokohama Earth-1 215/60/R17 be a reasonable switch if comfortable city ride and low road noise are the main objectives, in that order? Longevity (not to be confused with reliability) is not a major concern for me.
Please avoid Yokohama Earth-1 if you want a silent and comfortable ride. Look for options from Michelin or Continental.

Yokohama Earth-1 is a hard compound tyre. Tyre noise increases as the tyre grows older. Similarly, due to tough sidewalls, the ride is hard. Advantages are long life and higher puncture resistance.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Please avoid Yokohama Earth-1 if you want a silent and comfortable ride. Look for options from Michelin or Continental.
Appreciate the quick and reasoned response. I'll look at the Michelin/Continental options mentioned in this and other threads.
malim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks