Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2022, 13:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopelias View Post

But now that I claimed warranty and replaced the damaged one too, I have an extra 17in JK tyre at hand. I am considering getting rid of the lower profile spare 16in Goodyear Assurance and keeping the 17in JK as spare.
I suggest you just trade in the new tyre to a dealer and get cash from him. It is far less hassle and tbh even after trading in your 16 inch spare rim and tyre, you’ll have to shell out some money for a 17 inch alloy (provided you get one) which is not worth it, as the difference in width between the spare (205) and other tyres (215) is negligible to make any difference when you’re using the spare.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 22:38   #32

Thanks for the suggestion @RubberGuru1113, appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
the difference in width between the spare (205) and other tyres (215) is negligible to make any difference when you’re using the spare.
Could you help understand the impact of using a lower profile spare? (three 215/60/R17 + one 205/65/R16) As far as I understand it will affect the alignment and thereby a bit of mileage. But does it affect safety / causes any other permanent damage?

I have very low urban usage, my typical use is a long drive (~1200 km total) once in a while. So if I detect a tyre issue, is it fine to take this long a drive on the spare tyre and get it fixed afterwards?
Old 4th November 2022, 10:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopelias View Post

Could you help understand the impact of using a lower profile spare? (three 215/60/R17 + one 205/65/R16) As far as I understand it will affect the alignment and thereby a bit of mileage. But does it affect safety / causes any other permanent damage?

I have very low urban usage, my typical use is a long drive (~1200 km total) once in a while. So if I detect a tyre issue, is it fine to take this long a drive on the spare tyre and get it fixed afterwards?
Okay, so first thing is, when you buy a variant which come with 17 inch tyres and a 16 inch spare, the spare is nothing but the stock tyre that comes on lower variants. This means that the safety related targets given by Hyundai for tyres - primarily the braking distance - would be the same. The target would be an objective value of distance taken for the vehicle to come to a stop from a specified speed (say 100 kmph), typically 100-0 braking distance targets are between 40~45 m for vehicles in this class. So there is no compromise on safety when you are using a smaller sized spare.

To answer your other question, the alignment will be affected only when there is a significant difference in the tyre diameter (>5%), however in this case it is close to 2% and hence is negligible. You can run the spare for even 5000 km without any issues.

However the scenario is completely different if your vehicle has a "skinny" spare - also called a "space saver", typically they have a width of just 115~145 mm and the diameter would be matched with the stock tyres. In this case, you should look to replace your damaged tyre ASAP as the space saver would definitely come with a trade-off in handling, braking and stability; and also come with a speed limit of 80 kmph (which is actually even mentioned for your spare in the form of a fluorescent yellow sticker on the wheel but it's still ok to push that limit in your case, but a strict no-no in the case of skinny spares).

Ironically these skinny spares are more common on vehicles on the higher end of the price spectrum and most luxury cares come with these.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 08:57   #34

Quote:
You can run the spare for even 5000 km without any issues.
Thank you indeed. So my reasoning for replacing the tyre with a brand new one urgently was incorrect.

Just for others' benefit, sharing my experience of getting the tyre replaced under warranty for a sidewall cut,
  • Checked with SA at JSP Kia, they said the damage definitely will not come under warranty. I even showed the threads here in team-bhp, they refused to agree. They recommended putting a claim under insurance.
  • Raised a complaint in JKTyre website. They called back in an hour and connected me to their office in Mysore Road, Bangalore.
  • Talked to the folks at the JKTyre office. They said they need to see the tyre and I might have to pay for the tyre wear. They don't have facility to jack and remove the tyre, so I have to do that first and then go there with the tyre. (Felt like bit of a hassle)
  • Reached there with the tyre. It took about 30-45mins, they looked at the wear and eventually said I don't have to pay anything (Tyre had run 8.5k kms already). Walked out with new tyre.
anoopelias is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 13:06   #35

Stock goodyear assuarance n my seltos are nearing their end at around 30,000 km.

Overall they havent caused punctures but the ride was unbearably harsh at 35 psi. Lowering to 32-33 psi made it much better on relatively straight roads but incredibly uncomfortable on hilly roads.

The ride did get better over the first 20,000 km and has gone from being unbearable to being 'stiff'

I am looking to upgrade tyres to michelin primacy 4 st. My main requirement is that the tyre be as comfortable as possible.

I am unable to decide between stock size of 215/60/R17 and 235/55/R17. Will upsizing to the latter option give more plush ride or should i stick to atock size? After some research what i gathered is that the higher side profile will give a more comfortable ride. And as such, a wider tyre wont improve ride comfort unless accompanied by increase in sidewall width.

The size of 235/55/R17 gives a very small error of less than 0.5% and maintains overall sidewall width.

Will a wider tyre give more ride comfort and cushioning even though the side wall height doesnt change much?
Old 14th January 2023, 11:57   #36
BHPian

Hi,

I had a sidewall cut on my stock JK ( Seltos GTX ) at about 8000 kms. Did not know about the unconditional warranty but luckily happened to check at a JK tyre dealer and they replaced it within a week. At about 13 or 14K kms one more sidewall cut on another tyre (This is within Bangalore city roads). Vehicle was with the Kia dealer for 3 days before they said that it will take time to cover under warranty. I needed the car and paid 7K or so to get it replaced the same day.

At 22K kms now and there have been atleast 4 punctures in the last 6 months alone. Always the same Rear Left and Front Left. Yesterday a colleague mentioned sidewall cut and puncture stories on their 6 month old Seltos GTX which triggered alarms. And that is how I ended up in this thread

From what I am reading , there is clearly a pattern with the JK-Seltos combination. Ride quality is stiff though I don't have any issues with handling.

Personally I've not really been into the tyre manufacturer/pressure/size Vs Comfort/handling thingy. But I guess it is time to upskill!

Michelin appears to be a clear winner. Will give it a shot at around the 30Km mark? I dont have much wear on the tyres as of now. Shall get that checked too.
Old 6th March 2023, 18:29   #37
BHPian

Hi All,
my search on the forum on tyre size landed me into this forum.

I am not looking to change but i have a question about any downside of 16 inch.

My scenario: I want CRETA IVT but I do not want light interiors. So that leaves me with KNIGHT edition which comes with 16 inch tyres. (unlike the normal Creta which comes with 17 inches)

So my question to the experts here:

Is there a downside of having 16 inches tyre??

Thanks!
Old 6th March 2023, 23:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav1817 View Post
Hi All,
my search on the forum on tyre size landed me into this forum.

I am not looking to change but i have a question about any downside of 16 inch.

My scenario: I want CRETA IVT but I do not want light interiors. So that leaves me with KNIGHT edition which comes with 16 inch tyres. (unlike the normal Creta which comes with 17 inches)

So my question to the experts here:

Is there a downside of having 16 inches tyre??

Thanks!
Having 16 inchers actually is an advantage - the taller sidewalls of the 205/65R16s provide better cushioning and comfort compared to the lower profile 215/60R17s. Moreover, they are less prone to impact damages.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 10:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Having 16 inchers actually is an advantage - the taller sidewalls of the 205/65R16s provide better cushioning and comfort compared to the lower profile 215/60R17s. Moreover, they are less prone to impact damages.
Perfect, thank you for the response.

But on hindsight now i think he might have mentioned spare wheel size because i see youtube videos mention 17 inches for Knight edition as well.
But i distinctively remember SA showing me a pic of the car with 16 inches.
Anyway will get that double checked but for now waiting for verna to see in flesh before i make the final call for creta.
abhinav1817 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 17:15   #40

Hello, can anyone suggest the exact specification of alloy wheels I should look for Seltos - HTK model.
16 Inch Wheels, what exactly is the PCD / width etc?

BR,
Old 10th May 2023, 01:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMORE7KRPM View Post
What exactly is the PCD / width etc?
Hi,

The PCD of kia seltos is 5x114.3 & Center Bore / Hub Bore is 67.1 mm

Other specifications are mentioned in the screenshot of the owner's manual below.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos - Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20230510_014535_drive.jpg  

Last edited by NA-driver : 10th May 2023 at 02:00.
NA-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-driver View Post
Hi,

The PCD of kia seltos is 5x114.3 & Center Bore / Hub Bore is 67.1 mm

Other specifications are mentioned in the screenshot of the owner's manual below.
Thanks for the info, what will be the impact if I choose 16 inch 7J alloy wheels instead of recommended 6J? Any effect on handling, ride quality etc?

Pls suggest.
Old 11th May 2023, 12:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Any effect on handling, ride quality etc?
There shouldn't be a significant effect, I'm currently running 205-section tyres on 16x8J alloys.
NA-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 11:05   #44

Planning tyre replacement for Seltos after 30K Km and 4 years because two of the tyres seem be to losing 3-4 psi over a week. Is it better to replace or repair?

If replacement is better, thinking whether to go in for MRF 215/65R17 MARKUS - TL (as against the normal size of 215/60R17).

Can someone please advise if the difference in tyre size will improve ride quality without significant negative impact?
Old 11th July 2023, 12:38   #45
BHPian

Seltos 2023 - GTX/X-Line tyre options

Hey guys,

So I'm picking up the new Seltos for my folks, bookings already done, etc.

Much to my dismay, I've found out that the car comes equipped with JK Tyres. I have had a very bad experience with JK Vectra's on my Cruze (2010), where they didn't even last 21k KM and one of them literally disintegrated, even with enough thread depth available. They weren't grippy and made me feel unsafe. I switched to Yokohama's, upsized the tyre by a smidge (215/60 vs. 205/60) and never looked back. I've been through 2 sets of Yoko's now.

There's no way I'm sticking to the supplied JK Tyre, 215/55/R18 on the Seltos.

So I have a few options -

1) Stick to the same size
  • Goodyear Efficient Grip
  • Continental Ultra Contact
  • Apollo Apterra Cross
2) Upsize to 225/55/R18
  • Michelin Primacy 3 ST
  • Bridgestone Turanza T001
  • Vredestein Vorti I
  • UltraMile R9 Luxe
3) Is there any other option on size?

I would have loved to stick to Yokohama, but it doesn't seem like they make either of the sizes available to me.

I have questions about all 6 of the above tyres and I'm properly confused.
Main questions are -
  1. How soft are the Conti's/Michelins? Would they last 30k KM? How susceptible are they to punctures due to them being regarded as relatively soft?
  2. Vredestein or Apollo? Again, how long would the Vredestein last, since they're supposed to be performance tyres.
  3. What in the heck is UltraMile? I've never heard of it, so I would appreciate some insight.
Any help on picking a tyre will be appreciated.

Last edited by Ad1tya : 11th July 2023 at 12:41. Reason: added 3rd option
Ad1tya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks