Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:01   #1
BHPian

Help Required: Procuring Alloy Wheel nuts for Palio (98 PCD conversion)

Guys,

I have tried almost all shops in Trivandrum and ernakulam to get a "little longer" wheel nuts for my palioD. The alloys wheels are a bit more thicker than the OE wheels and so the wheel nuts dont screw in properly (only few threads get screwed in). I have been running this potential risk for quite a while now....with the rains and the roads getting more potholes its all the more dangerous...

Can any one help me source these wheel nuts...any one who have changed their stock palio tires to alloys shud be able to help me...
I tried ordering for these at RF motors, from Fiat, with no luck...Please help.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 23rd July 2007 at 22:04. Reason: spell check
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:46   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Guys,

I have tried almost all shops in Trivandrum and ernakulam to get a "little longer" wheel nuts for my palioD. The alloys wheels are a bit more thicker than the OE wheels and so the wheel nuts dont screw in properly (only few threads get screwed in). I have been running this potential risk for quite a while now....with the rains and the roads getting more potholes its all the more dangerous...

Can any one help me source these wheel nuts...any one who have changed their stock palio tires to alloys shud be able to help me...
I tried ordering for these at RF motors, from Fiat, with no luck...Please help.
have you tried new bharath tyres, if you havnt i will ask them when i get my tyres done by the end of this month.
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are the alloys 98 PCD or 100PCD??
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:27   #4
BHPian

isnt it the abvious 98pcd! Thats what i here from everyone! am i rite basil
Old 24th July 2007, 00:17   #5
BANNED

You also bite the dust.

Oh My God!
You also in trouble? I thought only Carfreak had this trouble.

It is indeed a nightmare! I don't know why it is caused. it can be well avoided if the car manufacturer can be a bit more careful when producing/designing a car. Out of many cars I've seen in my short life, only Fiats (especially Palio and Siena/Petra have so much of a problem in this department.

I know many will ask me later to elaborate this! So, let me explain it here itself. People who has a Palio and have switched their alloys according to their liking (without doing a lot of compromise) will understand this scenario better. Especially where Basil is right now. I repeat; It is indeed a nightmare! (And worst, it doesn't end by just opening your eyes from the slumber!).
  1. You cannot get stock nuts because it is too short. So, you have to get a bit longer ones.
  2. If you get longer ones, then it will foul with the brake liners etc.. behind the wheels which is even dangerous.
  3. You cannot get longer nuts and chop/grind a bit and make it of the desired length. Because, the nuts have a specially pointed shape in the tip without which it is a bit hard to get the nuts fit in correctly.
  4. You cannot throw away these alloys because you bought it with a lot of liking for it and with your hard earned money.
  5. Even if you decide to change the current alloys, then You cannot opt for slimmer alloys. Because that will cause the nuts (even the stock/short ones) foul with the earlier said thingys behind the wheels.
  6. If you decide to get something of similar thickness as the stock alloys, then it will be very hard to find one in the market.
  7. Even if you find one to the above said specifications and suits your car's nuts, it will not suit the PCD most of the times due to the odd 98 PCD size!
  8. You can follow what the dealer says and ADJUST a 100PCD alloy to 98PCD and live with it in another risky situation.
  9. Even if you find one alloy suiting all the specifications said above, it may not be to your liking. (I have said earlier; Compromise??)
  10. And after a lot of days and hunting in different countries/cities/towns/villages/jungles etc... you may find one. But it will cost you a bomb!
  11. You can still decide to pay for it and put an end to all. But you may still have problems coming out like one nut broken etc... and the put your car into more riskier situations like running on just 3 nuts etc....
The only option left is compromise that very nice yearning you had for a good set of alloys and go back to the stock ones which Fiat has exclusively designed for you. Again, WHY? Why can't some cars be more simple to modify/personalise??

Why I said all these things???

Because, I have seen (and experienced a bit) how Mr. Carfreak went thru all these. After a lot of trouble, he had to switch back to stock (flowerish) alloys. For that again, he had to pay a bomb!

Anyway, there are some places in Cochin where we can search for these kinda nuts. No, they're not normal tyre/spare parts shops.
@BasilMabraham. Give me a ring next time you are in Cochin.

Last edited by speedzak : 24th July 2007 at 00:21.
Old 24th July 2007, 06:31   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys...

@Xinome: appreciate your help...hope you have fond ur dream home...

@kpzen: mine is a 100PCD adjusted to 98PCD in a local tire store, havnt had any problems there though, except for the nut part...

@Zak: you are gem of a guy. Nice detailed reply. Tell you what, I never realised the problem I am faciing, is this bad....Had thought, I just had to get a longer nut...Now it seems even worse...
I had stock steel wheels, which I replaced with these alloys. I did an upsize from 13" to 14", so my new tires wont fit my steel rims. Also, I love my alloys, cant get rid of them. So planning to take te risk of running on "not properly" screwed in nuts.
I have been running on these for almost 20K now...I manage by not taking more than 3 people in the car...

Zak, I go to Cochin almost every weekend, will give you a ring next time I am there.
Old 24th July 2007, 09:01   #7
BANNED

@Basil. I know you come down almost every week. So next time, you give me a ring before you leave Trivandrum.
I'm very much glad you understood my post.

Adjusting the nuts is the most common procedure in this car. They fix the alloys, put every nut in It's holes, screw all of them bit by bit upto a point where everything seems tight.
Is this the only way out of this hell of a problem?
Old 24th July 2007, 11:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Zak..!!
Great work. Very well explained.
I think the Fiats have Bolts instead of nuts for the wheels.
Good to see Basil,a Fiat freak taking it in a good spirit.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

So to sum it up "Palio Owners need to stick to and live with OE Alloys" ?

Zak wonderfully written mate. Good one.
Old 24th July 2007, 15:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
havnt had any problems there though, except for the nut part...
who's who? you or nut or the car?

you missed the freaky story of carfreak. We will meet up next time so that zak can narrate it again for full effect!
Old 24th July 2007, 15:48   #11
BHPian

Doesnt Hydarshok face this problem?
Old 24th July 2007, 16:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
So to sum it up "Palio Owners need to stick to and live with OE Alloys" ?

Zak wonderfully written mate. Good one.
Either stick to the OE Alloys or keep looking for 98 PCDs .I failed to do so and took the adjustment route. And I curse my decision when I get a puncture . But when i look at my baby with those rims I feel happy. So its a give some and take some deal. Some take it and some dont. I took it and there have been much more happy moments than the treacherous ones...
Old 24th July 2007, 16:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Doesnt Hydarshok face this problem?
Hydrashok doesnt face this problem as he didnt upsize the tyres. Moreover he has PCD 98 HRs I think
Old 24th July 2007, 16:12   #14
BANNED

Mods, Please shift this thread to Tyres and Alloys section. Many Palio owners have this same problem and together, we may find a good solution.

Whenever I meant nuts, it is infact screws! Yes, that is the major problem in Fiat Palio/Petras. How did I forget that??

Normally, Wheels are fitted onto the hubs by just hooking it to the nuts provided in the hubs and then bolt it until tight. In case of this car, there're no nuts/bolts you can hook your alloys onto. You have to depend on a special kind of holder designed by Fiat for their alloys/steel wheels. And again, this cannot be kept when we put new alloys so that has to be removed and so you have to hold the wheel in line with the screwing holes and slowly screw it in.
It is a good procedure because it actually helps us to build some good muscles!
And you cannot just screw in all the way inside. Remember! I told you in my first post about the ADJUSTING part right? That has to be sone carefully to make the car stay on the road. Very tedious job it is!
Old 24th July 2007, 20:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Hydrashok doesnt face this problem as he didnt upsize the tyres. Moreover he has PCD 98 HRs I think
He has upsized his tyres.Those are 15" on his car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks