Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 17:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Swift Dzire : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi All,

Shoes of my Dzire need to be changed as I see uneven wear in them. I am running on the stock MRF ZV2K and not very satisfied with the performance. My father has Bridgestone(probably 165 mm S248) on his Dzire Petrol and I like the grip. I am planning to upgrade to 185 mm stock rim (R14). What are the suggestions currently? I am inclined to Bridgestone B290 and XM2. Also, I would want to know - how much kms can the aforementioned tires run if I do proper alignment, balancing and rotation?

I am open to other good recommendations as well. I have to take a 3000+ kms round trip during diwali and need to replace tires before that. So, would appreciate quick help!

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 14th October 2016, 18:20   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post
I am inclined to Bridgestone B290 and XM2. Also, I would want to know - how much kms can the aforementioned tires run if I do proper alignment, balancing and rotation?.
Major requirements?

I have Michelin XM2+ (195/60 R15) on my Swift that has done 32K kms and it will last me another 30-35K kms minimum.

Michelin are softer tyres and chances of damage are pretty high. I had a minor accident a few weeks back where a splendor sliding on the road came hit my cars right tyre at 50 kmph. Result = Sidewall tear and I had to change that tyre (lost 5K).

Overall cost and delicate nature of this tyre is what worries me else I haven't come across any tyre that can beat the XM2 in its segment.

What care I take for a longer tyre life are: I keep a check on tyre pressures weekly with wheel alignment, balancing and rotation every 5000 kms.

Overall if I am to suggest, get the Bridgestone B290 BUT before that check why uneven tyre wear is noticed on your car before you go for the swap.
Old 22nd October 2016, 14:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Shoes of my Dzire need to be changed as I see uneven wear in them. I am running on the stock MRF ZV2K and not very satisfied with the performance. My father has Bridgestone(probably 165 mm S248) on his Dzire Petrol and I like the grip. I am planning to upgrade to 185 mm stock rim (R14). What are the suggestions currently? I am inclined to Bridgestone B290 and XM2. Also, I would want to know - how much kms can the aforementioned tires run if I do proper alignment, balancing and rotation?

I am open to other good recommendations as well. I have to take a 3000+ kms round trip during diwali and need to replace tires before that. So, would appreciate quick help!

Thanks in anticipation.
Bridgestone tyres are one of the best across the tyre range available in the market. S248 is also a good one & come as OEM fitted in new cars too.
I'm using B290 from last one year & have travelled around 30,000kms with them shod on front Stock 15-inch Alloy rims of my Swift DZire ZDi across both High speed well laid roads as well as mud-gravel laden No-roads & even roads with good number or potholes & rumble-strip speed breakers.
They're simply great, although build bit tough & a bit heavy(as I felt than this light car actually needs) than usually normal range Bridgestone tyres are(including Turanza). Overall, Grip levels are much better, speeds well contained, Fuel efficiency of nearly 22kmpl(on Highways). Now planning to replace its another 2-tyres with same or a bit lighter ones with similar levels of performance.
I think only Michelin tyres are better than these tyres.

Btw, you can also go for Yokohama tyres, as they're available in 14-inch rim size with 185 width combination, only not available in 185/65-R15 size which I needed.
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:06   #64
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shoes of my Dzire need to be changed as I see uneven wear in them.
Tyres on my Dzire also need to be changed in the coming weeks. Stock tyres have done well over 52k. Bridgestone & Yokohama Earth 1 is what i have in mind.
Quote:
I am planning to upgrade to 185 mm stock rim (R14).
I was also planning to go in for wider rubber but i guess i'll stick to stock size or maybe 175mm since the car is only driven around in the city.
Old 9th December 2016, 16:00   #65
BHPian

I changed the tyres on my Swift DZire to Yokohama Earth1 (185 section width on 14 inch rims). I got it from the shop near spot 18 mall, Pimple Saudagar, Pune. It cost me 3900 per tyre. He also took additional 200 for the valves for each tyre. I have driven around 2500 kms after that in a month and really love the grip.

Positives:

1. Sensational Grip! I drove to Nashik via Mumbai from Pune and while crossing Igatpuri ghat, I got to test the grip of the tyre. I was zipping on quite briskly without any fear of losing tyre grip. Tyres really boosted my confidence on the bends. I also understood that due to bad tyres I was not able to enjoy my car fully. One promise that I made to myself is to upgrade to better quality tyres as soon as I buy a car - it really makes a lot of difference.

2. Less Noise: My older tyres were making so much noise that I didn't hear my engine revs. I was so accustomed to the tyre noise that I had gladly forgotten how good a revving engine sounds. As soon as I drove out of the shop, I just realized that I can hear the sound of the engine, which to me feels divine. Now I rev the engine more just to enjoy the sweet sound it makes.

Negatives:

1. Not really a negative but the steering feels a bit heavy. I knew this would happen as I was upsizing the tyre so was mentally prepared for this.

2. Can't comment on the average as I got my clutch overhauled roughly at the same time I upsized my tyres. So, a little decrement due to upsizing and little increment due to clutch overhauling cancelled each other and I am getting almost the same average as I used to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Major requirements?

Overall if I am to suggest, get the Bridgestone B290 BUT before that check why uneven tyre wear is noticed on your car before you go for the swap.
Thanks a4anurag for the suggestion. I drove a car with B290 and was wanting something different so went for Yokohama Earth1 tyres. I have driven almost 2500kms on it already and really loving them. Also, checked the cause of uneven wear and SA says it was due to missing my alignment-balancing cycles. I am to blame for this as I didn't align-balance the wheels for the first 20,000 Kms. I was new to owning a car and didn't pay attention to this. But I would be very careful from this time and would get the alignment-balancing done every 5000Kms.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:40   #66
BHPian

2013 Swift Dzire ZDi, Tire Upgrade Questions

Hey guys,

I've been running my Swift Dzire for the past 3 years and I've had a pretty good run with it. The ODO is now at 49K and I want to change out my GoodYear tires (185/65R15). They've served me well, besides the occasional puncture. Now there is a small tear in one of my tires and two other tires seem to be loosing pressure a bit too quickly in comparison to the other two. So I think it is about time I get new tires.

I got in touch with my local tire shops and did a lot of reading on the forums. I want tires that will be grippy at high speeds and won't intrude with too much noise. My current tires are fine by me, but I have never really experienced anything different so I have no point of comparison.

Can anyone recommend something that would suit my needs? Budget isn't an issue, and I am looking for the best performing and least noisy tire.

I have inquired around and a few shops have said Michelin would be the best way to go. It's about 1K more compared to the GoodYear equivalents. I do 75% city driving and 25% highway driving.
Is it worth spending the extra money, or am I not going to be really able to notice the difference between the two?

Also what is your call on replacing all 5 tires? I have a full sized alloy as the 5th wheel as well, which has been used thanks to regular rotations.
I have seen that some people only do 4 wheels and don't bother to change the other. I am inclined to change all 5, but what would your thoughts be?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12th January 2017, 16:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Swift Dzire ZDi, Tire Upgrade Questions

My suggestion would be to go with Michelin tubeless tires with stock size. Michelin is known to have excellent road grip and ride quality since they are made of soft compound. Also, Noise level is minimal comparatively.

Regarding changing 5 tires, yes, I recommend to go with changing all 5 tires which offers below advantages
1. Rotation at every 5K Kms gives uniform wear and tear of all 5 tires
2. During emergencies, if you are on long drive, when you go for 5th wheel, You will never feel paranoid on the stepney wheel performance
3. You can bargain for good discounts if you go for 5th tire as well. Else, when you have to go for 5th tire change separately (Which anyway, you will do sometime later), you wont get the same discount and you end up paying high.

In my experience, I had Bridgestone tires for my Qualis and it easily ran 70K with great satisfaction. But, when I changed it to Michelin, I could see a glaring improvement in ride quality and road grip. I am really happy about Michelin. By the way, I drive Qualis 90% on Highways and 10% in Cities

Last edited by gkveda : 12th January 2017 at 16:23.
Old 12th January 2017, 16:58   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2013 Swift Dzire ZDi, Tire Upgrade Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitHJain7 View Post
Is it worth spending the extra money, or am I not going to be really able to notice the difference between the two?
Once you migrate to Michelin, you won't regret on the decision. They are super silent (compared with GY) and performs better than stock GY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitHJain7 View Post
I have a full sized alloy as the 5th wheel as well, which has been used thanks to regular rotations.
I am inclined to change all 5, but what would your thoughts be?
Since the spare is already put on duty along with periodic rotation, I hope the wear must be uniform in all 5 tires and spare will also be due for change. Go ahead replacing all 5.

PS: There is another thread available on this subject
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...de-thread.html

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 12th January 2017 at 17:00.
Old 12th January 2017, 17:26   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
My suggestion would be to go with Michelin tubeless tires with stock size. Michelin is known to have excellent road grip and ride quality since they are made of soft compound. Also, Noise level is minimal comparatively.

This is what the shopkeepers told me as well, but I usually don't take their word too seriously as they're always favorable towards certain products.
Glad to hear that.

I was planning on sticking to stock size. I researched upsizing and downsizing, but found that there wasn't enough of a benefit in my case to opt in for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Once you migrate to Michelin, you won't regret on the decision. They are super silent (compared with GY) and performs better than stock GY.

Since the spare is already put on duty along with periodic rotation, I hope the wear must be uniform in all 5 tires and spare will also be due for change. Go ahead replacing all 5.

PS: There is another thread available on this subject
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...de-thread.html

Thanks for the advice, I've been lurking around some other forums and found that Yokohama also comes very well recommended. I got quoted Rs. 400 less per wheel in comparison to the Michelin.

Are the claims really true, or is Michelin the best way to go?

Thank you for the link to the other thread, I have read through it as well!

Last edited by aah78 : 12th January 2017 at 21:47. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 8th December 2017, 23:31   #70
BHPian

Guys, best Tyre for Dzire 2012, done 143k, 90% highway ???????

Got Yokohama earth 1 last time, not too happy.
Old 26th December 2018, 15:48   #71
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a first gen Dzire VXi 2009 that is currently on it's second set of tyres - Michelin XM2 185/70/R14. This set of tyres replaced the stock JK tyres at 40k KM in Aug 2013 and now Odo is at 90k KM (tyres still look good for at least a year/10k KM, probably because of regular rotation/alignment/balancing every 5k KM and primary usage on good highways/roads).

What would be the tyres in same size 185/70/R14 to consider for the next replacement ?
Old 14th February 2019, 13:27   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Got Bridgestone B290 185/65 R15 for my car.
Drive is improved as its more Silent now with almost nil road noise & even better Grip levels.

Hey Hi
I am looking to change the shoes on my 2009 Dzire Vxi (165/80 R14)

The choices are
1>Bridgestone B290
2> Michelin Energy xm2
3> Apollo amazer 4G

Which one would be a better option considering the drive is mainly on highways and minimal city roads. Also the car will be used only four to five times a month with in city.
Highway drives would be once in 6 months.
Old 1st March 2019, 22:16   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_b2 View Post
Hey Hi
I am looking to change the shoes on my 2009 Dzire Vxi (165/80 R14)

The choices are
1>Bridgestone B290
2> Michelin Energy xm2
3> Apollo amazer 4G

Which one would be a better option considering the drive is mainly on highways and minimal city roads. Also the car will be used only four to five times a month with in city.
Highway drives would be once in 6 months.
Bridgestone B290 tyres are good for mixed type of road usage in terms of road grip & ride comfort. But they seems to be bit heavier as compared to the previous MRF ZVTV tyres, so as a result the steering has become a bit heavier & fuel efficiency does have dropped by 1.5-2kmpl in mixed city/highway mixed usage
Since, rear tyres are almost worn out now, so planning to replace them with Bridgestone Ecopia or Apollo tyres.

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 1st March 2019 at 22:18. Reason: Text addition
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:23   #74

Hi
I have decided to go with Michelin eneegy xm2.

It's been about 2000km on highway and about 500 km in city .
Have to say it's a good choice. The steering feels very smooth and the drive quality has improved to a great extent.
arjun_b2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 08:08   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Hello Everyone

I am new on this forum. I have been reading it for last one month and I finally decided to register here. Its a great resource.

I have Swift Dzire diesel ver. VDi.

I want to get a new set of tires for the car.
I hate the company fitted JK Tires that (165X70X14)
I have zeroed in on Michelin 185X70X14 tires.
Is it the right choice? How much would i suffer if i go in for these tires in terms of average? (without alloy wheels)
Do Michelin tires create extra noise when running on high speeds?

I don't want to get any spacers fitted in the car neither do i want the tires to be bulging out of the car.
And they shouldn't touch the inner body while taking a U-Turn or while turning the steering to full.

The ZDi model of Dzire comes with 185 tires. I am not sure about the brand. So, I think it shouldn't create any problems.

I would upgrade to alloys later. Which is the best brand in alloy wheels?

Waiting for replies.

Thanks
Sumit

Hi.
So I have been using Michelin energy Xm 2 for my DZire vxi 2009 model.
Have done mix of city and highway drives.
The quality of drive is very good.
Tyre noise is almost absent.
Smooth steering and soft impact on potholes

Most Viewed