Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36 View Post

Also, do the two balenos have the same wheel arch size? There might be minor variation across generations of the same car.
I think that can be a reason. Mine is a 2004 December machine. BP owns a 2005 June Baleno. Infact, the previous owner gave me the stock tyres. I was shocked to find that those were 155/80/R13. I never knew Baleno came with that profile ever. As far as I know they always had 165/80/R13 (Ignore the Vxi that came with R14s). I am getting more confused as I am trying to solve the mystery.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:06   #17
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooooom View Post
I think that can be a reason. Mine is a 2004 December machine. BP owns a 2005 June Baleno. Infact, the previous owner gave me the stock tyres. I was shocked to find that those were 155/80/R13. I never knew Baleno came with that profile ever. As far as I know they always had 165/80/R13 (Ignore the Vxi that came with R14s). I am getting more confused as I am trying to solve the mystery.
the baleno always came with 165/80/r13
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:19   #18
BHPian

Uploading some pics with new footwear
Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible?-my-baleno-001.jpg

Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible?-my-baleno-005.jpg

Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible?-my-baleno-009.jpg

Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible?-my-baleno-008.jpg

Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible?-my-baleno-004.jpg

Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible?-my-baleno-006.jpg
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Looks great! Looking forward to a detailed review on the GSD3s.
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:47   #20
BHPian

Looking very nice, I have been noticing quite a few of that design cropping up. Very nice.

Seems like we have a new choice for tyre in 195/60R14 size.

So you picked up this baleno recently? Saw it up for sale sometime ago. Looks awesome.
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Vrroooomm

I think the mud flaps are the culprit. The Sparco ones are placed towards the inside of the wheel wells and the stock ones are placed much more on the running board.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

I can't comment on the placement of the mud flaps since I don't have a Baleno & have not observed the stock placement too closely, KP would would know better.

AS for the possible reason, here are a few (Leaving mud flaps out):

1. Alloy width
2. Differences in tyre construction - Even if the tyres are made by the same company, there are differences amongst all designs not just in tread but also how each tyre has narrow or wide shoulders & the degree of roundness. This can also play a role but would be very hard to get details on.

Do a few AB tests & get back to us with the results & if possible try fitting stock mud flaps to see if that solves the problem. And do post a long term review of this tyre, I would be interested in reading it.

And yeah, it seems your air pressure is too high, get it down by a psi or two.
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

How about removing the front mudflaps and then checking if there is any touching to the wheel well?If there is you have a problem,if no then get OE mudflaps and have fun.
Old 3rd June 2008, 00:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I can't comment on the placement of the mud flaps since I don't have a Baleno & have not observed the stock placement too closely, KP would would know better.

AS for the possible reason, here are a few (Leaving mud flaps out):

1. Alloy width
2. Differences in tyre construction - Even if the tyres are made by the same company, there are differences amongst all designs not just in tread but also how each tyre has narrow or wide shoulders & the degree of roundness. This can also play a role but would be very hard to get details on.

Do a few AB tests & get back to us with the results & if possible try fitting stock mud flaps to see if that solves the problem. And do post a long term review of this tyre, I would be interested in reading it.

And yeah, it seems your air pressure is too high, get it down by a psi or two.
I understand designs and width can make a difference to many things. But only point is then why would manufacturers say that this is a 195/60 tyre when in reality its not. Because such an error(may be minor) can cause so many issues to customers, take my case for instance. Minor error, but my flaps are now getting free kisses from my tyres.

Regarding psi the tyre walla said that it should be 29 for Baleno. Now where can I get this psi info. You said it should be 1-2 less. But is there any site/doc where I will be able to calculate it after filling up some variables, like the way we use the Offset Calculator etc.

In between, I had a talk with BP. Planning to exchange the tyres and check out what happens next. I am sure that it will have more surprises in its box

A question for you - Whats ypur opinion on GSD3? I know you dont like Goodyear at all. But am ready to face the criticism. I will definitely get back with some reviews. Right now on running in mode. Trying to cross the 400-500kms barrier very soon

Last edited by vrooooooom : 3rd June 2008 at 00:12.
Old 3rd June 2008, 00:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
So you picked up this baleno recently? Saw it up for sale sometime ago. Looks awesome.
Yes got the keys less than 3 weeks back. I am impressed with the performance of this machine. 0-110kmph in 185/60/R13 (so thats somewhere round 102kmph) in guess what? Less than 10 secs. My friend who had been driving his Baleno for a while now crossed 110 in 9.57 and 9.87 secs in 2 successive attempts in this one. Really eager to find what is the situation now with the new footwear in place.
But noticed one thing. It moves to only 110 (consider it 103kmph) on 2nd gear. I think Baleno crosses115kmph on 2nd gear. Maybe someone from the Baleno club can throw some light.
Old 3rd June 2008, 02:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand designs and width can make a difference to many things. But only point is then why would manufacturers say that this is a 195/60 tyre when in reality its not. Because such an error(may be minor) can cause so many issues to customers, take my case for instance. Minor error, but my flaps are now getting free kisses from my tyres.
Because their designs also have their standard tolerance limits. So in their book it is the size they claim, this policy & the variation acceptable defers from company to company. An d let's face it, 99.9% percent of public neither has the inerest & more importantly nor the tools to diagnose such variations.

And let's face it, there' every chance that the problem might not be with your tyres but with your flaps/suspension etc.

Quote:
Regarding psi the tyre walla said that it should be 29 for Baleno. Now where can I get this psi info. You said it should be 1-2 less. But is there any site/doc where I will be able to calculate it after filling up some variables, like the way we use the Offset Calculator etc.
Use you judgement. Take it down to 27psi & then see the results. If it's ok, no problem, if there is a problem, let's say like too heavy steering etc. then increase the pressure by 1psi.

Quote:
In between, I had a talk with BP. Planning to exchange the tyres and check out what happens next. I am sure that it will have more surprises in its box
Good, keep us updated.

Quote:
A question for you - Whats ypur opinion on GSD3? I know you dont like Goodyear at all. But am ready to face the criticism. I will definitely get back with some reviews. Right now on running in mode. Trying to cross the 400-500kms barrier very soon
I ran a set of GSD2's on my car & my experience with them left me in no mood to recommend Goodyear's again so you can say I'm biased but out of experience & not hearsay.

As for the GSD3 I have little or no experience with them & GTO was not too impressed with them on his C, so I would rather prefer some other tyres but that's my own experience.
Old 3rd June 2008, 02:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

2 possibilities from my side. Rim width and different offsets. The wider rim tyre on full lock will protrude out more towards the wheelwell. Similar thing if it has a positive offset, it will stick out more and on full lock might just foul with the wheel well.

Best way is to just interchange one tyre and check. A narrower rim will baloon out the tyre making it look bigger in dia. A wider rim will not baloon out and will appear to be of a smaller size.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
But noticed one thing. It moves to only 110 (consider it 103kmph) on 2nd gear. I think Baleno crosses115kmph on 2nd gear. Maybe someone from the Baleno club can throw some light.
I dont know whats with this insane second gear speeds. My baleno does only 105@6750rpm in 2nd gear.
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I dont know whats with this insane second gear speeds. My baleno does only 105@6750rpm in 2nd gear.
Checked out mine today. Its somewhere round 105-107Kmph on the new tyres (considering it as correct upsize, its with less than 1% speedo error.)
Anyways, crossed 200 mark with the new tyres. So tomorrow Mr. GSD3 will get a feel of how its future is gonna look like
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:32   #30
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@vroooom, what are the widths of the alloys? 5.5J, 6J etc? One possibility could be that yours is narrower than BPs.
Actually the other way round. If vroooom's wheels are wider, then his sidewalls will be straighter (less sidewall flex) at the same tyre pressure. Which means his diameter will be higher. I have observed exactly the same phenomenon with my 5J alloys with stock-size tubeless tyres (155/70-13) on my Santro. If you look at the stock Santro with stock-size tubed tyres on 4J rims, you will see a marked difference in height of the sidewall (my guess is as much as 8 mm) because the tubed tyres on the narrow 4J rims have a much higher sidewall flex. In addition, I maintain higher tyre pressures (36 psi), so my sidewalls have minimal flex. The difference in dia translates to about 1 km difference across the Expressway in the odometer. With tubed tyres on stock rims, the distance was ~94 kms, while with new tubeless tyres on alloys, the distance was ~93 kms.

If both vroooom's and BP's cars have alloys with same width, then one question to be considered is whether BP's car is significantly heavier for some reason (in which case you can expect more sidewall flex at the same tyre pressures).

Lastly, as iraghava pointed out, tyres may have variations from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Another possible reason why vroooom's tyres may be touching the mud flaps could be that his alloys have a lower offset, causing the wheels to stick out more from the wheel well.

Edit: And as vid6639 pointed out, wider wheels effectively increase the width of the tyre in the contact area (as opposed to the mid-way in the sidewalls with narrower rims). This might also be a factor in fouling at full turn.

Last edited by rks : 3rd June 2008 at 22:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks