Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:43   #196
BHPian

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
I had air leaking out from the tubeless tyre ....... install inner. Which one is most advisable of these for a stepny.

Rgds
A mushroom patch from the inside could solve the problem. What I learnt recently at on our Harley Regional rides when I attended the basic course on taking care of our bikes. was that, in the US they do not advise plugging a puncture with just a plug from the outside. They recommend that this is just a temporary fix. Eventually you have to remove the tyre and get the mushroom plug fixed from the inside. Should be worth a try.
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 14:46   #197
BHPian

Thanks guys.

I went for a patch from the inside. Costed me 150 bucks at local place. 3 days on and air is holding good.

BTW had a dekho inside the tubeless tyre during the work. The surface was quite smooth. SO w.r.t the debate on installing inner - where people are scared of tube rupture due to rough surface inside, I think that is an unnecessary concern for SX4 stock tyres at least (JK vectras)
Old 29th January 2015, 14:55   #198
BHPian

Just to add to the information on this thread, this is what Bridgestone India recommends:
http://www.bridgestone.co.in/Repairi...lessTyres.aspx

Also here's a link to a Youtube vid, made by a guy who designs these puncture repair kits for PowerTank (a US company):

Last edited by John : 29th January 2015 at 15:17.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:46   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Both left tires of the Civic were losing about 4-8 PSI per week. The culprit were found to be the valves on both tires. The side rubber portion of the valves had given up with cracks showing up. Got them changed for Rs. 300/- (Rs. 100 for each valve and Rs. 50 for getting each fitted). Tires are holding up well now. The rear left tire's leak was so slow that it went undetected for so much time. The tirewala ultimately advised me to put a tube inside the tire just before we managed to spot an air bubble.
Old 28th February 2015, 15:33   #200
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My 5 month old rapid's front left tyre was punctured intentionally by a traffic policeman on the sidewall using a purpose-built tool - this was told to me by a nearby taxi driver when I was about to drive away in the car. Apparently I had parked in a no-parking zone even though there were no signboards nearby.
I could not notice any big hole initially, an was too busy to go to a tyre/puncture guy immediately.
This happened at ~11am, and on the same night I went to check on the tyre - I did not notice anything wrong. The next morning, I saw that the tyre is almost nearing flat.
Immediately got a local puncture shop to inspect and 1 sidewall needle hole is identified.
The puncture guy has put a round shaped rubber puncture seal (this was not a tubeless repair seal which I reckon would "melt" itself into the hole) inside the tyre & put a tube inside - he is of the opinion that even tubeless tyre will run "mast, pucca" with a tube inside it - he even suggested the same tyre pressure that I usually fill (33) and even said "40 is also fine"

I have 2 questions :
1) is this the right thing to do ? I am very much concerned because it is the sidewall
2) if I have to get a new tubeless tyre - will I get a single piece ? how much will it cost ? will the old tyre get me any money in the first place, if I have to exchange ?

Data : 6.5K run JK vectra 185/60 R15
Old 28th February 2015, 19:00   #201
Senior - BHPian

Is mushroom plugs common and available at all tyres shops ? Where I can buy 2 or 3 of these in bangalore or online ?

DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-plug5.jpg
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:03   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
The puncture guy has put a round shaped rubber puncture seal (this was not a tubeless repair seal which I reckon would "melt" itself into the hole) inside the tyre & put a tube inside - he is of the opinion that even tubeless tyre will run "mast, pucca" with a tube inside it - he even suggested the same tyre pressure that I usually fill (33) and even said "40 is also fine"

I have 2 questions :
1) is this the right thing to do ? I am very much concerned because it is the sidewall
2) if I have to get a new tubeless tyre - will I get a single piece ? how much will it cost ? will the old tyre get me any money in the first place, if I have to exchange ?
Data : 6.5K run JK vectra 185/60 R15
If you have already tubed the tyre, it is advisable to use it as the spare to limp to the nearest tyre shop in case of a puncture.

I had a large gash on the side wall (Scorpio) courtesy a iron rod popping out of a concretised road, It was repaired using a piece of rubber pasted inside the sidewall, I am normally using it as a spare now but I had an occasion to use it for a few days continuously without issues when I was not able to get a flat repaired immediately.
Old 9th May 2015, 18:47   #203
BHPian

I ran through an accident spot on the highway on my bike and a shard of plastic was logged in the rear tyre. While removing it a small piece went inside, it fell inside the tyre. The puncture has been plugged and is fine. I am wondering if letting the plastic piece remain inside would damage the tyre from the inside?
Old 23rd May 2015, 18:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

My Santro has Michelin XM2 tyres.

One of the tyre in the front is leaking air, got the puncture sealed from the tyre shop, however it still continues to leak air.

Got it checked. Apparently the hole which was plugged in is more wide, something around say size of a small coin and the puncture repair kit used cannot plug the complete hole.

The puncture repair guy has asked me to get tube fitted in the tyre, however, I am not sure of it. The tyre has quite a good amount of life left and is good in terms of tread.

What do the bhpians suggest?
Get tube fitted?
Get some more tyre shops to check?
Replace the tyre?

I have been surviving by getting the air refilled every 3-4 days for past 2 weeks now.
Old 7th August 2015, 18:36   #205
BHPian

I had a puncture in my FR tyre on my Wagon R yesterday near Powai. the puncture wala did the repair as exactly demonstrated pictorially in the opening post of this thread. I assume that this is a temporary fix and wanted to understand what should i do next as a permanent solution ?

Can anybody please guide me on how do i get this puncture fixed permanently ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:54   #206
BHPian

How safe is it : Tubeless tire puncture repair with Mushroom kits stem ?

Hello all,

I have came across two types of puncture repair kits,

1. Temporary, Push fix puncture kit

2. Permanent Mushroom repair kit

However, i have been told by a mechanic in the wheel alignment center that the remains of the 2nd type (as shown in the picture below) is better than the 1st type

DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-p_20150813_143734.jpg

Which is basically the remaining after repairing the puncture with the Mushroom kit (2nd type)

He followed the same procedure similar to the procedure of the 1st push puncture type but with this piece shown above but from the inside out (such a way that the piece of metal comes out when pulled from outside which then is cut)

Now, have anybody else tried this ? How safe are they ?

Last edited by Tamarind : 23rd September 2015 at 11:56.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:19   #207
BHPian

Re: How safe is it : Tubeless tire puncture repair with Mushroom kits stem ?

I have tried both. The second one - mushroom patch - is definitely more robust is what has been told to me. However, even the first method seems to work fine and I have not face any issues with that. The mushroom fix requires the tyre to be taken off the rim and remounted and is thus far more expensive,

That said, do keep in mind that a side wall puncture in a tubeless tyre is not really repairable and the tyre needs to be changed.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:58   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
The mushroom fix requires the tyre to be taken off the rim and remounted.
If used the professional kits like the one shown in video below, it does not need to take the tyre off the rim.

abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:12   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
If used the professional kits like the one shown in video below, it does not need to take the tyre off the rim.
Thanks for sharing the video. The mushroom kit seems to provide better sealing against the puncture. But does it need more variety of tools and consumables? Will it be simpler and quicker to use conventional kit?
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:17   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
The mushroom kit seems to provide better sealing against the puncture. But does it need more variety of tools and consumables? Will it be simpler and quicker to use conventional kit?
You got it right. Yes, although mushroom patch provides better sealing, either you need those sophisticated tools and more effort including if you have to take the tyre off the rim/ alloy. The conventional kit is on the other hand easy to use and simple too. I have had at least 6-7 punctures on my cars in past 4-5 years and all of them, I mean absolutely all of them were repaired with conventional kits. I did not face any problem whatsoever. They should be OK in my opinion. But if you have time and access to tools/ place that does mushroom patch, better
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed