Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:39   #31

Tyre Upsize for Optra Magnum

Hi All,

First of all would like to thank this forum to help me zero in on my second car "Optra Magnum". Awaiting delivery in the next couple of days.

I have been following all posts related to this car, but unable to still figure out on my tire upsize query (had posted about this sometime back).

Would really appreciate if I can get a definite answer on - should I or shouldnt I upsize tyre to 205/60/15. Reasons for upsize - better grip (considering the speeds this car is capable of) and profile. Concerns - it should not effect the suspension or restrict turning.

I am definitely changing the stocks to either one of these brands- Yoko/ Michellin/ Bridgestone.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Q

Mods note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd December 2011 at 17:35. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:15   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyre Upsize for Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qondor View Post
Hi All,

First of all would like to thank this forum to help me zero in on my second car "Optra Magnum". Awaiting delivery in the next couple of days.

I have been following all posts related to this car, but unable to still figure out on my tire upsize query (had posted about this sometime back).

Would really appreciate if I can get a definite answer on - should I or shouldnt I upsize tyre to 205/60/15. Reasons for upsize - better grip (considering the speeds this car is capable of) and profile. Concerns - it should not effect the suspension or restrict turning.

I am definitely changing the stocks to either one of these brands- Yoko/ Michellin/ Bridgestone.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Q

Mods note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
The problem with 205/60-15 is the lack of good options in that size. In 195/60-15(which is the stock size), you have many options. Yoko C drive, A drive, ES100, V550, Michelin Primacy LC, Apollo Acelere, Bridgestone (a couple of options like MY01, AR10... not too sure of which is available in this particular size). You aslo get the MRF ZLO in this size.

In 205/60-15, only Acelere and A Drive are available.
Old 10th November 2013, 18:15   #33
BHPian

re: Chevy Optra : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Apologies for reviving an old thread.

Will the 195/65-15 profile tires suit the Magnum TDCi? Specifically, I want to know if there will be any scraping issues etc.

I do understand that the handling and high-speed stability will reduce, and the ride and GC will improve.

Though subjective, if someone can comment on the gain/loss in ride/handling.
Old 4th December 2014, 18:03   #34
BHPian

re: Chevy Optra : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I have equipped my Magnum with Bridgestone Potenza RE88 around 7000 km ago. I have noticed the following changes:

1. Mileage has improved
2. Car feels more quick
3. Ride quality is good

But my concern is that the handling has slightly deteriorated. I am feeling the steering to be too stiff and heavy. Service center guy said these tyres have more road grip thats why I am feeling so.

Would like to opinion of the gentlemen here who can throw some light on this issue and also which tyres would be best suited for Magnum?
Old 31st May 2019, 15:09   #35
BANNED

Tyre upgrade suggestions for an Optra Magnum 2.0 LT?

Hello

I went through a lot of posts about the Optra's tyre choices but those were pre 2014.

I'd like to upsize them from the stock 195/60 R15 to 205/55 R15 hoping for better grip and stability at highway speeds. What are some good options?

Is the size upgrade recommended? What would be the effects?

P.S - I'm ok with the reduction in GC.

TIA.
Old 1st June 2019, 13:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre upgrade suggestions for an Optra Magnum 2.0 LT?

It would help if you told us what tyres you are running on at the moment. If you are using some econo low rolling resistance tyres like the earth 1 or michellin energys, then I would suggest sticking to the stock size and going for decibels or primacys. If you are already running on something like decibels or primacys, and still require more grip, then you can go for the upsize and look at something like the continental contimaxcontact mc5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks